Player Discussion Auston Matthews Discussion

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The answer for why Matthews hasn't been able to step up in the post-season I believe is the same for each of this core: They aren't competitive enough. They don't hate to lose enough. They don't want it bad enough.

Tavares, Mitch, Matthews, Willie all strive to be great players, stick around after practice to work on intangibles, watch lots of video, consult with the coaching staff on how to be better, but none of that equates to being competitive in the way a guy like Michael Jordan was, or Crosby, or dozens of others that have it.

Unfortunately, you either have it or you don't. He doesn't. The core doesn't. And sadly that means that you can surround this core with the best possible lineup and it won't make a difference, they still won't win. At least as long as they're facing any team that wants it more. And right now, that's just about every team.

The delta between Matthew hitting 69 goals in the regular season and then being mired in a six game playoff goalless streak with 2 assists is all you really need to know when it comes to competitiveness. When you go from the greatest goal scorer in the game to a complete no factor that will alter the team's fortunes. 1-5 in this time for the Leafs.

1713722691225.png

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
All of them are awful, Marner is closer to ppg with basically no goals, Nylander is supposed to be some playoff superstar, except he hasn't done anything either, I guess only in Toronto does going .9ppg warrant a 12+ million dollar contract.

Nylander isn't a playoff performer either. The thing that makes him stand out is the relative drop in his production is much smaller than that of Matthews and Marner so he seems like a gamer.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
What I don't understand...

If all it takes to shut down Matthews is get in his way and bump him a little, why don't teams do it during the regular season?

Matthews has some Dan Marino in him. Great during the regular season, garbage in the playoffs.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
The answer for why Matthews hasn't been able to step up in the post-season I believe is the same for each of this core: They aren't competitive enough. They don't hate to lose enough. They don't want it bad enough.
This 1,000 times over. It's truly not that complicated. For years, their body language, actions, and statements after disappointing playoff losses has suggested they just don't have the warriors DNA when the going gets tough. And, while they might like to win, they certainly don't hate to lose. Big difference.

Matthews is at the helm of the ship and he needs to realize the playoffs are a war of attrition. He cannot ho-hum through the motions and bank on his awesome release paving the way for success. It may work in a game here or there, but it's not sustainable. He needs to find a way to ramp up his intensity, desire, and seize the playoffs by the throat. These are not nonchalant Wednesday night games vs. the Blue Jackets where he can bag 2+2 with moderate effort.

You would think that by year 8, he'd change come playoff time.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I’d love for management to build around him properly. Enough with the 4 high priced forward garbage.

Matthews the guy on line 1
Willy the guy on line 2.

Quality complimentary 2 way players around them.

A gritty bottom 6.

A true #1 D and a true #1 goalie.

Win playoff games 2-1 or 3-2.

That is how the Tavares and Marner $22 mill should be spent.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What I don't understand...

If all it takes to shut down Matthews is get in his way and bump him a little, why don't teams do it during the regular season?

Matthews has some Dan Marino in him. Great during the regular season, garbage in the playoffs.

To my eyes, Matthews carries himself with this ice cold assassin persona in the regular season and when the pressure is on in the playoffs he looks a little more rushed at doing everything. Maybe it just comes down to stage fright, the increased heart rate, the loss in accuracy that somehow turns a 69 goal scorer into a guy who has now failed to score in 2 playoff series.

Also think about the loss of composure elsewhere, the 25% F/O winning percentage, hitting the post and then Sammy letting that goal in. The high sticking penalty when he hadn't taken a penalty for 2/3 of a season.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
To my eyes, Matthews carries himself with this ice cold assassin persona in the regular season and when the pressure is on in the playoffs he looks a little more rushed at doing everything. Maybe it just comes down to stage fright, the increased heart rate, the loss in accuracy that somehow turns a 69 goal scorer into a guy who has now failed to score in 2 playoff series.

Also think about the loss of composure elsewhere, the 25% F/O winning percentage, hitting the post and then Sammy letting that goal in. The high sticking penalty when he hadn't taken a penalty for 2/3 of a season.
All true.

If you rattle / bump him, even a little bit, then add playoff pressure, it throws him off enough to shut him down. Dan Marino was like that. All season, he'd be lights out. In the playoffs, he choked over and over and over, again.

Let's hope Matthews proves us wrong and bounces back in Game 2.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
MacKinnon is worth 5AAV more than Matthews.

Makar with worth 5AAV more than Rielly.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I think we need to look at it from another way as well: It's not just "what Matthews does" it's also about "what the other teams do"... and generally speaking they all level up come playoffs. Matthews still doesn't seem to fathom that two seasons exist in the National Hockey League:

1. Regular season
2. Playoffs

Other teams ramp up their intensity and defensive play -- they're faster, more alert, angrier, and more physical. They are not going to allow Matthews to float and feast on lax defensive schemes. They are going to make him pay a price and work a lot harder to bury the puck... and year after year he doesn't match the challenge.

We can call it stage fright, heart rate, lack of guts, etc. But whatever it is, it's unacceptable. But, I actually don't think it's complicated at all -- he's a softy at heart. Loaded with talent, big, strong, but when the REAL SEASON STARTS he's got the killer instinct of a puppy, not a junk yard dog. And this is... EVERY. FREAKING. YEAR.

Some players just have that fury and it factor in their DNA. Matthews doesn't. He is incapable of rallying the troops consistently in the playoffs, period. I can't emphasize this enough, but he is the type of person who needs to be surrounded by core players who will drag him into the fight... and they simply don't exist on this team. That's why, when the going gets tough, the core of this team gets exposed annually... they're all waiting for someone else to grab the bull by the horns and lead the charge... and it NEVER COMES.

And, if Matthews isn't the guy, then the organization needs to cut bait on the creampuffs and surround him with more warriors. That's on Shanny, et al.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think we need to look at it from another way as well: It's not just "what Matthews does" it's also about "what the other teams do"... and generally speaking they all level up come playoffs. Matthews still doesn't seem to fathom that two seasons exist in the National Hockey League:

1. Regular season
2. Playoffs

Other teams ramp up their intensity and defensive play -- they're faster, more alert, angrier, and more physical. They are not going to allow Matthews to float and feast on lax defensive schemes. They are going to make him pay a price and work a lot harder to bury the puck... and year after year he doesn't match the challenge.

We can call it stage fright, heart rate, lack of guts, etc. But whatever it is, it's unacceptable. But, I actually don't think it's complicated at all -- he's a softy at heart. Loaded with talent, big, strong, but when the REAL SEASON STARTS he's got the killer instinct of a puppy, not a junk yard dog. And this is... EVERY. FREAKING. YEAR.

Some players just have that fury and it factor in their DNA. Matthews doesn't. He is incapable of rallying the troops consistently in the playoffs, period. I can't emphasize this enough, but he is the type of person who needs to be surrounded by core players who will drag him into the fight... and they simply don't exist on this team. That's why, when the going gets tough, the core of this team gets exposed annually... they're all waiting for someone else to grab the bull by the horns and lead the charge... and it NEVER COMES.

And, if Matthews isn't the guy, then the organization needs to cut bait on the creampuffs and surround him with more warriors. That's on Shanny, et al.

Yeah exactly. If Matthews is closer to a Patrick Marleau in disposition than a Wendel Clark, you just need to surround him with a murderers row of core players. I don’t think he’s an alpha dog at all, but it can still work if you can find a way to protect him and harness his unique talent. Let’s face it, Barkov isn’t the toughest customer and most clutch player either. But he’s got a lot of support.

That means there’s no room for a “quiet leader” like JT.

That means you’re thinking long and hard whether it’s Nylander or Marner. But probably not both if you’re serious about change.

That means you’re probably moving on from Morgan Rielly too because his offense to defense risk reward isn’t getting better over time. Because he’s a “nice guy” too.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Pointless in game #1 is exactly why no one cared about the goal chase until close to 70. Time to step up tonight.

pdson

Apr 14, 2014
Hater isn't the right word. We're just fans with expectations from the highest paid player in the league. Seems pretty reasonable to me. If he continues to contribute the way he did tonight, he'll earn his money.
So let me get this straight you expect him to get 3 points every playoff game
No hater is the correct word

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Hater isn't the right word. We're just fans with expectations from the highest paid player in the league. Seems pretty reasonable to me. If he continues to contribute the way he did tonight, he'll earn his money.

The thing is, if he played the exact same game but had the assist not counted because it touched a Bruin stick on the way and had the goal called back for being offside, people would be in here saying he wasn’t good enough and needs to bring more than the one Domi pass.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think it was Friedman who said this was maybe the best game Matthews h as ever played. I can't argue, what a game that was. What a player!

My dream is that next game, we're saying similar things about Marner. Or Nylander, yeah I'll take that with the equal pleasure.

Great game from everyone, sweet!

GLG!!

Reactions: TMLife17

TonsofPuppies

Pack your shit, Shanny!
Jun 28, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
The thing is, if he played the exact same game but had the assist not counted because it touched a Bruin stick on the way and had the goal called back for being offside, people would be in here saying he wasn’t good enough and needs to bring more than the one Domi pass.
You need to contribute. As in, it has to go beyond effort. When you earn that much, effort isn't enough. Results are what matter. He needs to be over PPG in the playoffs to earn his money, just like every other superstar in the league. This isn't an unfair expectation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad