Auston Matthews 69 goals in 81 games, most goals scored since Lemieux in 1995-96

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
Always a shame he broke his leg. Wonder how many goals that cost him going forward

Im amazed that stamkos came back in 21 and played through the playoffs and has been relatively healthy since. Pretty good comeback and to see him at 540 career goals with a good chance at 600.

Reactions: PaulD

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I don't care if he beats McDavid to 60. What difference does that make? He beat McDavid to 50 goals - I didn't feel special about it.

The total output is what most people care about. I want to see if he can beat Ovechkin's 65 - who cares if he ties how many games McDavid took to score 60 or not.

What's next? We're going to start tracking the fastest to 10 goals?
Yes the total output is what people care about. Which is why him scoring 65 or 70 goals is impressive, but not on the level of scoring 64 goals and 150 points.

Reactions: Video Nasty

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Yes the total output is what people care about. Which is why him scoring 65 or 70 goals is impressive, but not on the level of scoring 64 goals and 150 points.

You can’t argue with him. His thread title has a fastest of distinction in it, but he doesn’t care who was the fastest to 60 this century because the timer ran out for his guy and he lost his chance to update the title framed around it.

Reactions: Ol' Jase

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
You can’t argue with him. His thread title has a fastest of distinction in it, but he doesn’t care who was the fastest to 60 this century because the timer ran out for his guy and he lost his chance to update the title framed around it.
Yeah in the end I suppose it doesn't matter, it's the same crowd that thinks scoring 50 in 50 anytime during the year is the same as the actual NHL 50in50 requirement.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Wat?? Your entire premise has focused on Ovechkin being the mayor of “power play city”. You haven’t mentioned a word about his EV production and when someone points out that he has, in fact, produced phenomenally at EV, you instantly shift the goalposts to “well yeah, but games played”.

It’s just dizzying the lengths you will go to to discount the accomplishments of one of the greatest goal scorers in history.

I’m going to make this super simple. Matthews MIGHT do what Ovechkin has ALREADY DONE when both their careers are over. That’s it.
No chance. Matthews is not that good. Plus Ovi’s prime years were during deadpuck era 2.0 and still hit 50 consistently. He’ll never reach Ovi.

• Haha
Reactions: authentic

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
I don't care if he beats McDavid to 60. What difference does that make? He beat McDavid to 50 goals - I didn't feel special about it.

The total output is what most people care about. I want to see if he can beat Ovechkin's 65 - who cares if he ties how many games McDavid took to score 60 or not.

What's next? We're going to start tracking the fastest to 10 goals?
As pointed out, have you not read your thread title?

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
No, what is it?

50 is different, it's actually tracked on NHL.com because of historical records - x in 50. 10, 20, 30, 40, 60, 70, 80, 90, etc. are not.

Yet fastest U.S. born player to 50 isn’t tracked on NHL.com, so I guess you’re a hypocrite?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Yet you’re talking about the records section of the site, so as you like to croon, “my point stands.”

What is your point? I still don't understand it.

That McDavid is better because McDavid scored 60 in 1 less game than Matthews 2 years ago?

Is Matthews better because he beat McDavid to 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50?

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
What is your point? I still don't understand it.

IMG_6784.gif

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Remember when this guy was gaining MVP attention?

Just a complete disappearing act. Hope he has something for the playoffs.

When Matthews is scoring goals: Goals aren't everything.
When Matthews is racking up points, but not scoring as many goals: He disappeared.

He has 10 points in his last 5 games, 12 points in his last 6. Quite the disappearing act.

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
When Matthews is scoring goals: Goals aren't everything.
When Matthews is racking up points, but not scoring as many goals: He disappeared.

He has 10 points in his last 5 games, 12 points in his last 6. Quite the disappearing act.
Well his only argument for the MVP was goals. The higher his assist to goals ratio becomes the less impressive his season looks because of how pathetic his point production looks like in comparison to McD/Kuch/Mack

Looks like he'll struggle to even match McDavid's 64 goals from last season while ending up with 50 less assists on the year.

Reactions: Calderon

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Remember when this guy was gaining MVP attention?

Just a complete disappearing act. Hope he has something for the playoffs.

Wouldn’t go that far. He has 13 points in 8 games since Marner has been out, but he needs to pick up that goal scoring pace again. He will not be in the running for the Hart trophy either at this point.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Well his only argument for the MVP was goals. The higher his assist to goals ratio becomes the less impressive his season looks because of how pathetic his point production looks like in comparison to McD/Kuch/Mack

Looks like he'll struggle to even match McDavid's 64 goals from last season while ending up with 50 less assists on the year.

Last year was a higher scoring season than this one, it was the first season in nearly 30 years with multiple 60 goal scorers.

He's still on pace to outscore McDavid last season. He's currently on a 68 goal pace.

Reactions: authentic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad