Player Discussion Austin Watson (LW) to Ottawa for 2021 4th

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
J. Brown, Gudbranson, and now Watson. I guess we're just looking to beat up every team we play this year. Probably not the worst strategy.
tenor.gif

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
So that's almost $5 mil wasted on brown/gudbranson/watson. couldn't that money be used in a better way? for a budget team we sure do like throwing money on meh players. there are players in belleville that could have filled these roles.
This is nothing new with the franchise, it’s been happening since Murray’s tenure, the team overpays for depth players and underpay the actual talent on the team. Then you have the fans blaming Melnyk (rightfully so) on being cheap, but the GM was to use the limited funds available wisely.

Reactions: DrEasy

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah but it's not going to get us to the cap floor regardless, they don't make enough.
Well they would have gotten to the floor regardless of getting Watson or not. But I’m fine with the move as I don’t see any Belleville player who can’t fill that role. I was hoping we’d get Matt Martin

Reactions: Deku

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Hinostroza, Ennis, Cousins and Larsson all signed recently for the same or less money with less term than Watson

Plenty of Watson-type players available that haven't signed and probably will get less than 1.5M x 3YR deals in this environment.

Why trade a 4th for a 4th liner like Watson when you could get one for free? Makes no sense.
Because players don’t want to come to Ottawa

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Gotta love that our meathead HC is also our only pro-scout. We are going to have the biggest, slowest, lowest IQ roster in the league but hey at least they'll fight. Not like you need to score goals to win or something

Reactions: DrEasy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Poile signs Cousins at a cost of zero assets for the same money as Watson to replace him in the lineup, and then deals Watson for a 4th

Smart move.

Is it just me or is Watson even worth a 4th? More like a 6th or 7th.

If he happened to be a UFA in this environment I doubt he gets a 3 year contract at 1.5M, so his value should be around zero.

But he played for DJ in junior so value goes out the window.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Poile signs Cousins at a cost of zero assets for the same money as Watson to replace him in the lineup, and then deals Watson for a 4th

Smart move.

If he happened to be a UFA in this environment I doubt he gets a 3 year contract at 1.5M, so his value should be around zero.

But he played for DJ in junior so value goes out the window.
David Poole isn’t exactly a good GM

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I like the pick up - none of our RW’s project as 3-4RW’s other then Brown who may play up in the lineup.

out bottom 6 is getting tougher potentially with Form, Watson, Paul etc.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Gotta love that our meathead HC is also our only pro-scout. We are going to have the biggest, slowest, lowest IQ roster in the league but hey at least they'll fight. Not like you need to score goals to win or something

They traded for Watson to play 4th line. Not all 12 forwards are supposed to put the puck in the net. We have plenty of guys in scoring roles, Stutzle, Tkachuk, Terieny, White, and C. Brown all can contribute offensively, and then they have guys like Batherson, Norris, L. Brown, and Formenton who might crack the roster and are also offensive minded players.

Plus it's not like we were going to win many games this year anyway. Might as well hurt some people if we can't win.

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
If someone more in the know than me could answer, has DJ coached any good players? That'd be nice.
Guess we're doing that thing again where we use our coach as a pro scout eh

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
David Poole isn’t exactly a good GM

He's made some major mistakes recently, but his overall body of work is very impressive.

He's largely the reason why the Preds have gone from a bad small market team on the verge of being moved to a cap team that makes the playoffs more years than not.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If someone more in the know than me could answer, has DJ coached any good players? That'd be nice.
Guess we're doing that thing again where we use our coach as a pro scout eh

Taylor Hall
Ryan Ellis
Josh Bailey
Anthony Cirelli
Adam Henrique
Zack Kassian
Scott Laughton
Boone Jenner
Michael Dal Colle
+ any good players on the Leafs from 2016-2019

Reactions: milkbag

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Preds fans, just like Panthers and Ducks fans, are surprised we paid anything to acquire their player.
Sounds like how Sharks fans whooped it up when we took Demelo off their hands...or how Rangers fans were thrilled when we took Namestnikov...I remember fans here hating both of those players before they even suited up for the team, kept saying "why are we wasting assets on bottom pairing/bottom 6 guys?" and "why couldn't we get player x for those assets?"

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Dorion will recoup the pick at TDL as this team won't score many goals and remains a draft lottery team next year.

This is DJ's pick for another cheap veteran player he coached that fits the identity while insulating the number of rookies expected to lace the skates. I don't feel enraged by the move.

Welcome to Ottawa Stone Cold!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad