Kings Article: Austin Wagner Is A Bright Light In LA Kings' Season of Darkness

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
In a season that has been hopeless, pretty much from the start, there have been a few rays of sunshine fighting their way out of the darkness that is the 2018-19 Los Angeles Kings.
One of those bright spots has been rookie right wing Austin Wagner, who has been a bit of a surprise, especially since he wasn't even expected to make the Kings roster to start the season. But he did, and he has certainly made the most of the opportunity.

Wagner and interim head coach Willie Desjardins spoke with Frozen Royalty about Wagner and his solid rookie year.

Austin Wagner Is A Bright Light In LA Kings’ Season of Darkness

saintsnsoldiers

GO KINGS GO
Jun 13, 2007
Arizona, Tucson
This kid is my favorite player now, meet in in Vegas this last summer. Was introducing players around him making sure they all were noticed. Pretty classy kid oh and he can skate haha

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
If T-Mac plays him in a more effective role, he might hit 15-20 goals. Wagner and Grunts are my 2 "high hope" prospects that can help us offensively with this transition right now.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Wagner was really a shocking surprise, especially with the improvement of his shot from his time during his one partial AHL season, which was delayed by injury. That being said, he plays on the lower lines because he still has significant issues with making the most simple plays at times (he is extremely inconsistent), plus his stamina on the ice is still poor. Improve his ability to receive a pass without booting it, make solid decisions with the puck, and basic stick to stick passes (he's not the only King that struggles with this), and his playing time will increase. All these reasons are why, despite his brilliant straight ahead speed, he was the 99th overall pick in his draft year. That being said, he probably made the biggest jump of any Kings prospect last season.

Reactions: kilowatt and Vino

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Been on the bandwagon since Juniors but he really might be a guy that is best with 12-13 minutes v. 16-17.

Hope he has a great off-season so he can increase his stamina. My only concern with him is injuries as he seems to get banged up a fair amount but I'm really pulling for him to be a legit 3rd line wing.

If he could develop as a PK forward, his speed would be something short handed.

Reactions: lumbergh

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
His 200-foot game is also underrated. All we talk about is his speed as it relates to creating offense, but he uses his speed just as well on back check and the forecheck.

I think he would be a very good complement to Kovalchuk, who seems allergic to back checking. Put a good passer between them and you've got yourself a dangerous line.

DoktorJeep

Winners of the Offseason
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The kid is good enough to play 15 - 18 mins a night against league average 2nd to 4th liners and get 20+ goals easy.

Reactions: YP44

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I honestly think Wagner has top six potential. Stick him next to Kopitar and Brown. Why not?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
he was very underutilized last year....even sitting out games when it was not deserved. Trade Toffoli and give TT's spot to Wagner

Reactions: kilowatt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad