Kings Article: Austin Strand Has Been a Pleasant Surprise for LA Kings

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Thanks for that history lesson on Strand. I didn't know anything about him really other than he was undrafted. The Kings have done a pretty good job of identifying undrafted free agents as of late and developing them into playable depth and more. I read both articles and it's interesting actually seeing the attributes in play the scouting staff mentioned about him 3 years ago. A lot of times you hear about the skill set but never see it. This time, you definitely can. The only thing missing so far in Strand's stint has been the shot from the point, but that'll come. That first pass has really been a highlight for me of his so far. So he definitely has shown he's coachable in that regard.

The Kings are going to have some tough decisions to make on the back line if the current trajectory of some of these players hold. According to Cap Friendly, Clague needs 16 more games to become expansion draft eligible and Strand needs 22. Could the Kings potentially stash these kids from the draft by keeping them under those number of games played or do they become eligible regardless?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Thanks for that history lesson on Strand. I didn't know anything about him really other than he was undrafted. The Kings have done a pretty good job of identifying undrafted free agents as of late and developing them into playable depth and more. I read both articles and it's interesting actually seeing the attributes in play the scouting staff mentioned about him 3 years ago. A lot of times you hear about the skill set but never see it. This time, you definitely can. The only thing missing so far in Strand's stint has been the shot from the point, but that'll come. That first pass has really been a highlight for me of his so far. So he definitely has shown he's coachable in that regard.

The Kings are going to have some tough decisions to make on the back line if the current trajectory of some of these players hold. According to Cap Friendly, Clague needs 16 more games to become expansion draft eligible and Strand needs 22. Could the Kings potentially stash these kids from the draft by keeping them under those number of games played or do they become eligible regardless?

Clague and Strand are both available for Seattle to select in the expansion draft already. They're both third-year pros.

There are minimum requirements for each team to expose: 1. One defenseman who is under contract in 21-22 and played 40 games in the NHL this season or 70 games in the NHL over the past two seasons, and 2. Two forwards who are under contract in 21-22 and have played 40 games in the NHL this season or 70 games in the NHL over the past two seasons. The Kings have already met those minimum requirements by exposing MacDermid, Brown, and Carter (not to mention a plethora of other players).

All of that to say that anyone that isn't in their first or second year as a pro player (including Ontario) or that we don't explicitly protect can be chosen.

Reactions: cyclones22

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Strand has really surprised me. We keep finding these later-round and free agent gems. Anything past the second round is a huge surprise and we have a ton of them in our line up. I think Strand might be the third-pairing RHD we've been looking for since Matt Greene left. He's big (6'4), he's physical, he can skate, he can pass, and he's poised. What the hell? Is this legal?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Strand has really surprised me. We keep finding these later-round and free agent gems. Anything past the second round is a huge surprise and we have a ton of them in our line up. I think Strand might be the third-pairing RHD we've been looking for since Matt Greene left. He's big (6'4), he's physical, he can skate, he can pass, and he's poised. What the hell? Is this legal?

He's not very mean yet but maybe that will come.

But I think everyone was pretty happy with him unceremoniously dropping Kaprizov and Fiala last night without having to leave his spot to do it. His skating ability allows him to not be a liability while crushing.

Reactions: Token

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
He's not very mean yet but maybe that will come.

But I think everyone was pretty happy with him unceremoniously dropping Kaprizov and Fiala last night without having to leave his spot to do it. His skating ability allows him to not be a liability while crushing.

Yeah I mean there are very few players left in the NHL that are mean the way guys like Greene and Regehr were. Not that I'd mind it...

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

Remember the times people tell us Ottawa is "deeper" as a prospect pool? Their guys make splashes in the AHL, ours are making their marks in the NHL.

saintsnsoldiers

GO KINGS GO
Jun 13, 2007
Arizona, Tucson
Saw Strand play in the rookie game in Vegas 1-2 years ago, he was head and shoulders better then players there Clague included. Exactly what we are seeing today. Excited for this kid.

Reactions: Lt Dan

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Probably doesn't have a lot of experience playing on the left and/or didn't want Walker on the left. Both are right shot defensemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad