Prospect Info: Austin Roest - C | 175th Overall | 2023 NHL Draft

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
A smaller skilled player at 5-10/178, 1-year overager... his dad btw is Director of Player Development in Tampa Bay. Second-leading scorer on his WHL team in Everett.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Got invited to the Team Canada summer evaluation camp for the WJC. Obviously an extreme longshot to ultimately make the team, but considering Wood is our only other invitee it’s quite the honor.

Reactions: maplepred

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Got invited to the Team Canada summer evaluation camp for the WJC. Obviously an extreme longshot to ultimately make the team, but considering Wood is our only other invitee it’s quite the honor.
The kid is offensively gifted that’s for sure. Would love it if he made it.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Is there a reason he is not getting more attention other than his size? He's scored 21 goals in 38 games for Everett but see little discussion here.

And as far as I know he was not in the mix for a spot with the Canada U20 team.

Would love to hear from those who have seen him play.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Is there a reason he is not getting more attention other than his size? He's scored 21 goals in 38 games for Everett but see little discussion here.

And as far as I know he was not in the mix for a spot with the Canada U20 team.

Would love to hear from those who have seen him play.
We aren't a huge group, so unless someone specifically just happens to be watching a certain player we don't get much info on them. His " lack of attention " isn't special in that regard.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I haven't watched him but based on the stats it looks like he's about the same as last year which while good doesn't really indicate he's more likely of an NHLer than we drafted him. Compare that to someone like Fink who gets more discussion because he's moved up to college and is playing incredibly well.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
His goalscoring pace is pretty much identical to last season while his overall production rate has dipped year over year. I wouldnt dismiss him. If i recall correctly, i think he was very slow starting the season. He is 2nd in goals and 5th in points on the team. Theyre a pretty decent team as well. Think he will have a decent shot at getting a contract if he can keep up the good work

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
I haven't watched him but based on the stats it looks like he's about the same as last year which while good doesn't really indicate he's more likely of an NHLer than we drafted him. Compare that to someone like Fink who gets more discussion because he's moved up to college and is playing incredibly well.
Fink IMO should be one of our top 5 prospects at this point...what he's doing as a Freshman in an elite College Hockey conference is more impressive than Evangelista's breakout season for the London Knights in 2022.

1. Askarov
2. Kemmell
3. Molendyk
4.Svechkov
5. Fink
6. L'Hereux
7. Wood
8. Stastny
9. Ufko
10. Ingram

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Fink IMO should be one of our top 5 prospects at this point...what he's doing as a Freshman in an elite College Hockey conference is more impressive than Evangelista's breakout season for the London Knights in 2022.

1. Askarov
2. Kemmell
3. Molendyk
4.Svechkov
5. Fink
6. L'Hereux
7. Wood
8. Stastny
9. Ufko
10. Ingram
I agree on Fink. I think everyone is just waiting to see if this is the real deal with him and something he sustains. We've never had a guy with his level of success so early in college, but certainly had guys put up big numbers that never really translated so that's probably a factor.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
It's a 6th round pick. At this point, it they turn into a NHL player of any caliber then you are pretty dang lucky. 4 years ago dobbersprospects had a 6th round prospects chances of playing 99+ nhl games at 7.9% and the quality of player to hit those games typically isnt that high... almost all 6th round picks are wasted picks

Anthony Bitetto being our best 6th round draft pick for perspective. 197 underwhelming NHL games

Last edited:

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
It's a 6th round pick. At this point, it they turn into a NHL player of any caliber then you are pretty dang lucky. 4 years ago dobbersprospects had a 6th round prospects chances of playing 99+ nhl games at 7.9% and the quality of player to hit those games typically isnt that high... almost all 6th round picks are wasted picks

Anthony Bitetto being our best 6th round draft pick for perspective. 197 underwhelming NHL games
What about Santorelli and his 406 games, 60+ goals? Not counting our 7th and later round picks that had pretty successful careers ... Rinne, Erat, Skrastins, Hornqvist.

Reactions: Softball99

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
What about Santorelli and his 406 games, 60+ goals? Not counting our 7th and later round picks that had pretty successful careers ... Rinne, Erat, Skrastins, Hornqvist.
I forgot bout santorelli. Took 10 nhl seasons to accrue that much play time and stats.

We have gotten very lucky in the 7th and beyond round for some reason. 7th round has a 5.5% chance of playing meaningful nhl games and we have a couple we very successful careers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad