Signing(s): Austin Ekeler

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Makes sense. The Chargers are in for a bit of a reckoning after this year anyway given that all of Mack, Bosa, Allen and Williams will all be slated for $32 million+ cap hits next year after restructures and pushing money into future years. Obviously, there are ways to kick that can further down the road but at least one or two of those guys likely won't be back and this is all to say nothing of Herbert's mega contract coming down the pike. I commend them for trying to maximize the Herbert rookie window but I'm not sure they're going to have much to show for it aside from a horrific postseason collapse.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Makes sense. The Chargers are in for a bit of a reckoning after this year anyway given that all of Mack, Bosa, Allen and Williams will all be slated for $32 million+ cap hits next year after restructures and pushing money into future years. Obviously, there are ways to kick that can further down the road but at least one or two of those guys likely won't be back and this is all to say nothing of Herbert's mega contract coming down the pike. I commend them for trying to maximize the Herbert rookie window but I'm not sure they're going to have much to show for it aside from a horrific postseason collapse.
With Allen & Williams, I think that is why they drafted Johnston at WR. Someone of similar mold to replace them vs going with a slot guy like Flowers who would have been a better fit for this season, but maybe not long term to replace the outside ability of the other 2. Mack, have to move on from 30 somethings eventually.

Teams always kick things down the road, which is all fine so long as that player is still on the roster. Once they are gone, then you feel the dead cap hits.

As for Ekler, he had no leverage. Even though he deserves more money, there is no market for 8 figure RBs in free agency. Only the team that drafted would give that to you now. Unless, you are absolutely special at both the run and pass.

Jacobs and Barkley have no leverage either. I said earlier, at best they get the next 2 seasons at the Tag number guaranteed, which is like $10 mill and $12 mill.

The highest free agent contract for a RB over the past 3 off-seasons involving a RB changing teams has been who? Not someone who got 8 figures annual value.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad