AUS to bid on 2015-16 University Cup

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Just got home from a presentation at the Delta Halifax where SFX and SMU announced a joint bid for the 2015-16 University Cup. SFX would host 1st year and SMU the 2nd. All games played at the Metro Center. Format would have 2 games Thurs, Fri with semis on Sat. Bronze and Gold medal games played on Sunday. Tournament would run March 12- 15 2015 and March 16 - 20 2016. The presentation was big on hype and short on details, as one would expect. Both AD's and coaches were there along with a few players from both teams. The mayor made an appearance and promised support. The Halifax Herald should have a piece in the morning, so I will link it if no one else gets there 1st.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I believe that's what hurt Dal's bid last time - they are not (yet) a nationally competitive team. If you are not at least flirting with a Top 10 ranking, personally I don't feel you have earned the right to host the University Cup (and get an automatic spot).

The UCup is too good a tournament now to water it down with a host that would get blown out in its two games, giving the other two teams in its pool two easy wins.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Not really anyone's "turn". Geography aside, the CIS will go where the money is. Was talking to a CIS guy when I was in Saskatoon who indicated that Western may bid on 2015-16, using the lessons learned and resources from London Knights Memorial Cup hosting in 2014.

A solid bid from them could win but some of us have seen first hand the attendance issues when Kitchener-Waterloo hosted. These places are OHL hockey first and foremost.
Halifax IS Moosehead country, but SMU gets decent crowds at most games and good crowds for playoffs. SFX people will flock to Halifax for a couple of days to watch the X-Men. Not to knock any other place I've been, but Halifax is ideal for something like this. No need to have a car if you are in a downtown hotel. Lots of bars and restaurants and the rink all in walking distance. Shopping at Scotia Square.

I discovered last night that Halifax is the only city EVER to host IIHF under 20, Women's and Men's Championships.

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
For those interested, as part of the 3000 ticket commitment is an Early Bird ticket package. This is a 10-pack of lower bowl tickets, grouped together, for both years. Cost is $999 plus HST per year. 100 bucks per package for 8 games.
Payment plan is:
Oct 1 2013 - 499.50, Oct 1 2014 - 499.50, Jan 1 2015 - 499.50, Jan 1 2016 - 499.50

As I find out more I can post on here if you are interested.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Not really anyone's "turn". Geography aside, the CIS will go where the money is. Was talking to a CIS guy when I was in Saskatoon who indicated that Western may bid on 2015-16, using the lessons learned and resources from London Knights Memorial Cup hosting in 2014.

I agree. Originally there was sort of an informal rotation, but the CIS at times is all about the money: Moncton won the UCup hosting rights over Lakehead when it was the OUA's "turn", and Lakehead then reapplied and won the next hosting.

Personally I'd like to see Western host it in London sometime, but I have some concerns as I too was in K-W and remember how that OHL market did NOT embrace the University Cup.

Seems to me Nipissing bid for the UCup last time. Wonder if that will change now that they will be sharing their rink with the OHL's former Brampton Battalion.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The only bid that we know of is Halifax, correct. If it is the only bid then it will happen. Competing bids are good to have so the bidders have to provide the best bang for the buck.

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
If only Queen's was stronger, they would be a great host for it. Queen's and RMC held the first University Cup and K-Rock Centre is a great host venue. We had 2500 and 3000 people watching the past 2 Carr-Harris Cups there, and RMC is expecting close to the 3000, maybe 4000 with the West Point game there this year.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
If the CIS wanted to embrace the full-but-small rink ideology, I'm fairly confident a joint UW-WLU bid could be successful in Waterloo. I'm aware of how bad things were a decade ago, but the biggest difference is that the tourney was held in Kitchener. I know the cities run into eachother, but trust me - as a student of UW or WLU, the Kitchener Aud might as well be in Windsor. If you put this thing close, the student bodies and will fill out the crowds.

The Waterloo rec complex is about 2 km from each campus, and its capacity is about 4,400 with standing room (3,400 seating capacity). The corporate money in Waterloo has also exploded since 2001, and many of the region's well-to-do companies are headed by WLU/UW grads willing to give back.

I wouldn't expect a bid and, if there was, I wouldn't expect it to win. Just food for thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad