August 15 NCAA free agents

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Robbie Dee of Maine and an Oilers pick will become or already is an unrestricted free agent today. Pipeline blog mentioned Dee and a few other NCAA free agents.

Some other NCAA seniors who might become UFAs today include: Miami RedHawks forward Justin Vaive (ANH, 4th in 2007), Blake Kessel (NYI, 6th in 2007) and Phil DeSimone (WSH, 3rd in 2007) both from the University of New Hampshire.

http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/2011/08/robby-dee-hits-ufa-status.html

Kessel still hasn't signed. He became a free agent two months ago. Chris Botta reported the Flyers were interested in Kessel and he was going to sign with a NHL team. That was a month ago.

Why haven't the Caps signed DeSimone? Good player. He is 24 years old so its only a 1 year ELC.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Robbie Dee of Maine and an Oilers pick will become or already is an unrestricted free agent today. Pipeline blog mentioned Dee and a few other NCAA free agents.

http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/2011/08/robby-dee-hits-ufa-status.html

Kessel still hasn't signed. He became a free agent two months ago. Chris Botta reported the Flyers were interested in Kessel and he was going to sign with a NHL team. That was a month ago.

Why haven't the Caps signed DeSimone? Good player. He is 24 years old so its only a 1 year ELC.

Signing DeSimone would put them to the 50 contract limit. Perhaps they don't want to limit their flexibility?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Ah yes, gotta love the NCAA Free Agent period when you can get players who teams have collecively passed on 210 times.

Remind me to get up extra early to get the next Tyler Bozak.

Not every NCAA free agent is going to turn out to be a star. But sometimes you do get guys like Marty St. Louis, John Madden, Brian Rafalski, Ed Belfour, Adam Oates, Curtis Joseph, Andy McDonald, Chris Kunitz, Dustin Penner, Dan Boyle, etc etc.

Tim Thomas himself was a 9th round pick (217th overall) and the Draft only goes to seven rounds nowadays. And it was his third and final year of Draft eligibility.

But as jfb392 said, your comment isn't exactly on target with the topic anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Matt Rust, Philip DeSimone, Brian Day and Blake Kessel are good prospects.

I wouldn't mind seeing them sign with the Jets.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Not every NCAA free agent is going to turn out to be a star. But sometimes you do get guys like Marty St. Louis, John Madden, Brian Rafalski, Ed Belfour, Adam Oates, Curtis Joseph, Andy McDonald, Chris Kunitz, Dustin Penner, Dan Boyle, etc etc.

Tim Thomas himself was a 9th round pick (217th overall) and the Draft only goes to seven rounds nowadays. And it was his third and final year of Draft eligibility.

But as jfb392 said, your comment isn't exactly on target with the topic anyways.

Of course you can find some gems, but the fact that you're listing Adam Oates as one shows how rare it is, seeing as hes been retired for quite some time.

My point was that I don't think anyone should hype any NCAA UFA until theyve shown something. Oh great, we signed this player who everyone has passed on at least once. when is the parade.

Just using Bozak as an example, he was the highest profile free agent a couple years ago and hes a third line/fourth line center on a below average team right now.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Oh great, we signed this player who everyone has passed on at least once. when is the parade.

Recent Stanley Cup Champions who were passed at least once:

Tim Thomas, Mark Recchi, Dennis Seidenberg, Rich Peverley, Pavel Datsyuk, Johan Franzen, Tomas Holmstrom, Ruslan Fedotenko, Alex Goligoski, Chris Kunitz, Patrick Sharp, John Madden, Antti Niemi.

And this thread is just about a handful of NCAA guys who may become UFAs since today is the signing deadline. Nobody's predicting these guys to be superstars.

But let's go ahead and lump every undrafted free agent due to Tyler Bozak and Fabian Brunnstrom. And it's not like Chris Kunitz was an instant success either.

I guess I just enjoy the irony that your namesake was passed on three times and would have been a free agent had the rules been the same.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Recent Stanley Cup Champions who were passed at least once:

Tim Thomas, Mark Recchi, Dennis Seidenberg, Rich Peverley, Pavel Datsyuk, Johan Franzen, Tomas Holmstrom, Ruslan Fedotenko, Alex Goligoski, Chris Kunitz, Patrick Sharp, John Madden, Antti Niemi.

And this thread is just about a handful of NCAA guys who may become UFAs since today is the signing deadline. Nobody's predicting these guys to be superstars.

But let's go ahead and lump every undrafted free agent due to Tyler Bozak and Fabian Brunnstrom. And it's not like Chris Kunitz was an instant success either.

I guess I just enjoy the irony that your namesake was passed on three times and would have been a free agent had the rules been the same.

Lol Datysuk? I didn't know he played in the NCAA. Or Fedotenko, or niemi, or holmstrom, or franzen, or seidenberg, or recchi.

Even with the guys who were NCAA guys, Sharp was an early 4th round pick and Goligoski an early 3rd. The only undrafted NCAA guys (which was what I was talking about) are Peverley, Kunitz and Madden. Like I said, you can find gems, but the way people were excited about Bozak two years ago nd Da Costa this year made me think they were budding superstars.

And believe me, I'm still not excited to sign the "next Rich Peverley"

PS, the bolded are the players who ended up getting drafted in general.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Garrett Roe is also one, I believe. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Pretty sure Kings won't offer him or Turnbull contracts.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Lol Datysuk? I didn't know he played in the NCAA. Or Fedotenko, or niemi, or holmstrom, or franzen, or seidenberg, or recchi.

Did I ever say they did. You were deriding guys who were passed on in their first year of draft eligibility.

Even with the guys who were NCAA guys, Sharp was an early 4th round pick and Goligoski an early 3rd. The only undrafted NCAA guys (which was what I was talking about) are Peverley, Kunitz and Madden. Like I said, you can find gems, but the way people were excited about Bozak two years ago nd Da Costa this year made me think they were budding superstars.

And believe me, I'm still not excited to sign the "next Rich Peverley"

PS, the bolded are the players who ended up getting drafted in general.

Sharp and Goligoski were passed on their first time around. And realistically, the NCAA depth has gotten better over the last decade.

Just from last year's All Star game, you have St. Louis, Boyle, and Tim Thomas as NCAA undrafted free agents. Then you have NCAA guys who were bypassed in their first year of eligibility like Sharp, Stastny, and Yandle.

And this thread is about NCAA picks who were drafted. You were the one who brought up undrafted kids.

Much like how there's a thread on June 30th about drafted CHL/European picks who are still unsigned, there's going to be a thread on August 15th about NCAA picks who are unsigned.

And yes, I am aware that Tim Thomas got drafted. I still find it somewhat ironic that he would have been an undrafted free agent by today's rules. Franzen and Holmstrom would have been undrafted free agents as well by the current CBA.

As for Bozak/da Costa/etc, welcome to the world of Twitter and the need for constant info which leads to overhyping. Ten years ago, Dan Boyle was a highly sought after free agent but the most we got was a throwaway blurb in a newspaper roundup article.

Last edited:

mooseOAK*

Of course you can find some gems, but the fact that you're listing Adam Oates as one shows how rare it is, seeing as hes been retired for quite some time.

My point was that I don't think anyone should hype any NCAA UFA until theyve shown something. Oh great, we signed this player who everyone has passed on at least once. when is the parade.

Just using Bozak as an example, he was the highest profile free agent a couple years ago and hes a third line/fourth line center on a below average team right now.

Bozak is evidence that there is quality talent available among undrafted players.

windflare

May 31, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
It's ironic that the Tim Thomas fanboy is deriding NCAA free agents.

Esp. if there are drafted ones that don't want to sign with their original team for different reasons.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Technical question: This is a great thread but (now that we're talking about free agents) shouldn't this be moved to the free agent board?

Just wondering...

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
Technical question: This is a great thread but (now that we're talking about free agents) shouldn't this be moved to the free agent board?

Just wondering...

Like all threads it's gone off the trail. People don't want to do research before they post, then they excuse it by ''yeah but''.

The FAs are still prospects though.

smsgtkvv

May 30, 2003
South Hill
Visit site
All of the players that I can find:

Justin Vaive (LW, Anaheim)
Nick Eno (G, Buffalo)
Aaron Marvin (C, Calgary)
C.J. Severyn (LW, Calgary)
Matt Rust (C, Columbus)
Nick Oslund (RW, Detroit)
Bryan Rufenach (D, Detroit)
Robby Dee (C, Edmonton)
Ryan Watson (LW, Florida)
Derrick Lapoint (D, Florida)
Joshua Turnbull (C, Los Angeles)
Brian Day (RW, New York Islanders)
Blake Kessel (D, New York Islanders)
Shane Sims (D, New York Islanders)
Patrick White (C, San Jose)
Matthew McCollem (LW, St. Louis)
Andy Sackrison (C, St. Louis)
Ben Winnett (LW, Toronto)
Philip DeSimone (C, Washington)
Dan Dunn (G, Washington)
Jesse Martin (C, Winnipeg)
Alex Kangas (G, Winnipeg)

What about Patrick Johnson of Montreal and Jeffrey Foss of Nashville? Foss signed an ATO contract with Milwaukee in late May.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007

I don't get this - the situation with Kessel is muted better than a sub rigged for ultra quiet! He's a talented kid - I wonder what the hold up is? Absolutely nothing on the web about him...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad