OT: Audiobooks (& Podcasts)

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Since we're all starved for content with the absence of sports (and obviously hockey in particular), I thought I'd start a thread on a medium I've been enjoying recently. As someone with both feet and knees that won't allow running now that gyms are closed, for exercise, I've been taking long walks – and been enjoying audiobooks and podcasts as I do.

[Note: I consider audiobooks distinctly different from books, because the reader(s) play(s) such a huge role in their effect. If mods think I'm wrong, please feel free to merge with other threads.]

I'm not normally a huge YA reader, but the Harry Potter series was always an exception, and Jim Dale is an absolute pleasure as the reader. 100% true to the material.

For more mature fantasy, Michael Page's read of the Gentlemen Bastards series is also top notch, IMO.

And for mystery readers, I recommend Ralph Cosham's reads of Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache novels.

As for podcasts...

I started out chuckling at MBMBaM, but eventually the brothers' schtick got old – and while I loved the initial seasons of The Adventure Zone, as soon as the McElroys got away from the AD&D system, I didn't like it as much. (Mind you, that took some time!) I recommend dipping a toe in and seeing how much is for you.

Hardcore History tackles some interesting topics, but the narrator is a bit over the top and he is heavy into the military explanation of everything.

A new fav is Fall of Civilizations, wherein the narrator describes great empires and how they fell throughout history, with a more holistic view of the causes.

Reactions: eco's bones

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I like AJ Benza's Fame is a Bitch and Hollywood Godfather. Among others.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Since we're all starved for content with the absence of sports (and obviously hockey in particular), I thought I'd start a thread on a medium I've been enjoying recently. As someone with both feet and knees that won't allow running now that gyms are closed, for exercise, I've been taking long walks – and been enjoying audiobooks and podcasts as I do.

[Note: I consider audiobooks distinctly different from books, because the reader(s) play(s) such a huge role in their effect. If mods think I'm wrong, please feel free to merge with other threads.]

I'm not normally a huge YA reader, but the Harry Potter series was always an exception, and Jim Dale is an absolute pleasure as the reader. 100% true to the material.

For more mature fantasy, Michael Page's read of the Gentlemen Bastards series is also top notch, IMO.

And for mystery readers, I recommend Ralph Cosham's reads of Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache novels.

As for podcasts...

I started out chuckling at MBMBaM, but eventually the brothers' schtick got old – and while I loved the initial seasons of The Adventure Zone, as soon as the McElroys got away from the AD&D system, I didn't like it as much. (Mind you, that took some time!) I recommend dipping a toe in and seeing how much is for you.

Hardcore History tackles some interesting topics, but the narrator is a bit over the top and he is heavy into the military explanation of everything.

A new fav is Fall of Civilizations, wherein the narrator describes great empires and how they fell throughout history, with a more holistic view of the causes.

I've a pretty large library and have never been able to get into audiobooks. For some it works really well and some like things like Kindle or the like. I like physical books though and a lot of what I'll read will not reach a place that they would be available in those formats anyway. For one thing I read a lot of literature in translation and books like that usually don't sell well enough. I have read a Louise Penny and would comment on that---her works are set in Quebec and the one I've read was very, very good. I will probably get back to her again.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Pop culture role call is what I'm currently listening to. They have 3 or 4 people watch every episode of buffy the vampire Slayer (and other shows) strictly from 1 characters perspective and then they all get together and talk about the episode and try to figure out what happened based on their 1 narrow perspective. They never set to see anything other than. What their 1 character sees. It's fantastic.

Captain Midnight

@Traveling_Sports_Doc
Jun 22, 2018
Boulder, CO
Audio books worthy of your time.

Shoe Dog - story of Nike.
Bad Blood - story of Theranos
The Ideal Team Player - story of hiring people in business.
Healing the Core Wound of Unworthiness - story of exactly that. :)

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
Been on a weight loss journey and found a podcast by Ethan Suplee (actor from we are the titans and my name is earl) called american glutton. Talks about his journey and has guests on talking about theirs as well. for someone fighting this battle for a long time it helps me stay focused knowing other more wealthy and successful people are going through the same thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad