Attention All GM's - RULE CHANGES for 2019/2020

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Gentlemen,

Your admin team has been busy behind the scenes with some rule changes that will come into effect starting the offseason following the 2018/19 season. They are somewhat drastic in nature, but we feel that they will only add to the realism of the HFNHL, and will challenge our GM's to be better. You will also have nearly a year to prepare.

Here are the rule changes:

a) The 80 roster limit will be no longer. Instead, teams will be capped at 50 contracts. Teams must sign any player who plays 10 or more NHL or AHL games in the regular season (not including playoffs). Teams may also ask for special permission to have a player's ELC slide in cases where Euro players play in the AHL at 18/19, or in instances where players hit the 10 game mark based on games at the end of a junior season (where they are finishing up the season playing professionally). A team can elect not to sign a player who needs to be signed, allowing them to become a free agent (essentially a prospect release).

b) Unrated players (Euro's/25+ College players, etc) given one way contracts (2 million plus) in the offseason, must be on a team's farm roster during the season and not used on the pro roster to help said team reach the salary cap floor (except in rare circumstances to cover for injuries). They will also not count towards said team's ability to meet minimum roster requirements.

c) The percentages for arbitration will increase. Now the percentages will be 75%, 90%, 110%, and 120%.

d) Any pending UFA who has their rights traded after the trade deadline and prior to the summer free agency period (the offseason resigning period) will immediately require at least 125% of their current HFNHL or NHL salary in order to resign with said new team. Teams will have to pay that premium given the player's desire to test free agency and see where their market lies. Obviously, teams will still be allowed to trade the rights of pending UFA's, but resigning them will be more difficult.

Until that time, all current rules (like the 80 roster limit) will still apply.

Cheers!
HFNHL Admin

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
Has this been tested for sustainability with our SIM? By that i mean having a full farm system bleeds my leagues money that i run. Now we dont have to worry about going bankrupt cuz we dont care about balencing our accounts like we do here.

But its something worth noteing that well their salary isnt full(unless 1 way contract) it still effects profits and could cause serious cap issues even more than we already have as the sim isnt the greatest at revenue

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Good question. Considering we pay just 10% on most farm salaries, it shouldn’t be too disruptive. The other factor will be GMs being more selective in who they sign and who they release. But we’ll just have to see how it works out and adjust if it’s out of whack.

Tom HFNHL Stars

Jan 30, 2014
Port McNeill
DALLAS STARS who need to be signed this off season under New Rules.

NHL
Brenden Lemieux (age 22) 51 NHL games
Brady Tkachuk (age 19) 46 NHL games
Rasmus Dahlin (age 18) 57 NHL games
Brett Howden (age 20) 48 NHL games
Mike Amadio (age 22) 72 NHL games
Gavin Bayreuther (age 24) 19 NHL games
Mikhail Vorobyov (age 22) 15 NHL games

AHL
Alex Nylander
Adam Helewka
Andrew Nielsen
Nicholas Roy
Ryan MacInnis
Paul Bitner
Nick Merkley

Fun exercise to help focus on new rules.

Last edited:

albertascout

Apr 8, 2012
Holy smokes!

rebuilding teams will not be able to hold on to everyone forever now. Good opportunity to poach players released of other teams.

Darryl

albertascout

Apr 8, 2012
Carolina would have to sign:

NHL
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Colin White
Oskar Lindblad
Lias Anderson
Kenny Agostino
Isac Lundestrom
Jordan Binnington

AHL
Adam Musil
Adam Ollas-Mattsson
Carsen Twarynski
Dillon Heatherington
Edward Pasquale
Hudson Fasching
Jani Hakanpaa
JC Lipon
Kappo Kahkonen
Linus Arnesson
Marc Olivier Roy
Mason Shaw
Matt Finn
Mike Paliotta
Nelson Nogier
Nick Sorensen
Robbie Russo
Ryan Olsen
Spencer Watson
Troy Bourke

It appears that I have a lot of dead weight on my AHL prospect pool. The vast amount of these would be released under the new rules. Will definitely make for new strategies and more FA players available.

Darryl

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
The Flames have sent in their contract offers according to the new rules. A few released players from prospects lists. Luckily a lot of Euro's and NCAA's on the prospects lists. Flames will have between 40 and 42 contracts, depending on two UFA contract offers sent to current squad members.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Guys, just a reminder about new rule change D). Starting to see some pending UFA's on the trade block now that teams are eliminated from postseason play. Agents will be asking for 125% OVER either their HFNHL or NHL deal (whatever one is higher). So buyer beware. Trading for pending free agents will not allow you to use any auto resigns as current teams can. #freeagencyboom

Reactions: MatthewFlames

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Thanks for the reminder. For the GM's who weren't aware of this in my discussions, I've since let them know.

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
What do i do with the guy like Alexei Lipanov who played 10 games in the 2017-2018, but returned to the OHL for 2018-2019. And will likely return again next year. Seems odd to have to sign him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad