ATP Game - Round 1 - (4) Ryan Suter vs (13) Patric Hornqvist

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Better player? Suter.

Better Predator? Hornqvist.

And this logic has gotten us as far as 6 games into the second round.

Suter is better. I don't care how anyone tries to spin it to justify Hornqvist and make themselves feel better about picking him, but he's not even on Suter's level.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Suter is better. I don't care how anyone tries to spin it to justify Hornqvist and make themselves feel better about picking him, but he's not even on Suter's level.

I come in peace, I come to hurt no man's butt. (honestly, the Preds have been one of my favorite teams since 2000)

To be fair, Suter's only gotten us 6 games into the 2nd round as well. Pretty sure that's his limit! No, honestly, you have to pick Suter in this round. Suter is an elite defenseman. I hope for you guys, the other elite defensemen you've been producing.... produce.... work out for you...
You're known for producing defensemen, keep it up!

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I have a hard time completely ripping on Leipold because it would've been so, SO easy for him to let Balsillie keep the team and move us to wherever he saw fit. He didn't have to pull the sale when he saw his intentions, but he did. We could've easily been Howard Schultz selling the Seattle Supersonics to Clay Bennett, who was obviously going to move the team to Oklahoma City. Bennett and Balsillie were the same thing.

Anyway.....

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I have a hard time completely ripping on Leipold because it would've been so, SO easy for him to let Balsillie keep the team and move us to wherever he saw fit. He didn't have to pull the sale when he saw his intentions, but he did. We could've easily been Howard Schultz selling the Seattle Supersonics to Clay Bennett, who was obviously going to move the team to Oklahoma City. Bennett and Balsillie were the same thing.

Anyway.....

no, he couldn't have, because Bettman wasn't going to let him buy the Wild if he sold to Balsillie, and the sale would have been nixed by the league.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND

This logic hasn't accomplished anything because fans ultimately have no opinion on player and personnel decisions, so our mentality means nothing.

Who one votes for depends on how they judge the poll. If the objective is to get the most talented players, Suter wins this in a cakewalk. If it's to reward the best overall representatives of the organization - which would certainly include the terms on which they left - it's a lot closer, and I think people who vote for Hornqvist are completely justified.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
If it's to reward the best overall representatives of the organization - which would certainly include the terms on which they left - it's a lot closer, and I think people who vote for Hornqvist are completely justified.
$uter lied and did not try in his last season in gold. His whole "do not trade me" drama after the all star game when he knew he was leaving. This should be considered when voting. Also Hornqvist was a last overall pick and holds the goal scoring record for home grown players. It also seems a lot of non Predators fans have voted.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
No, I am a Predators fan, and until the day he signed with the Mild Suter was the best Preds defenseman they had (next to Weber).

Horny was a good, quality player who played beyond what anyone thought he would do, and everything was a bonus.

Suter wins this one, despite how both players left the organization.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
the title of the game is "all time Predator"

not "greatest players who were ever Predators" or "who was statistically the best player"

its a fan opinion contest, not a statistical analysis

if people still hate Suter and want to vote for Hornqvist, thats well within the parameters of this type of game

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
the title of the game is "all time Predator"

not "greatest players who were ever Predators" or "who was statistically the best player"

its a fan opinion contest, not a statistical analysis

if people still hate Suter and want to vote for Hornqvist, thats well within the parameters of this type of game

And what does "All Time Predator" mean? Talk about ambiguous. Is it people's favorite? Is it the best? Is it the best while they were here? What? Cause honestly I have no idea what it means at the end of the weekend.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
And what does "All Time Predator" mean? Talk about ambiguous. Is it people's favorite? Is it the best? Is it the best while they were here? What? Cause honestly I have no idea what it means at the end of the weekend.

thats the point. its whatever the voter perceives it it be. its a fan voting contest, so its not like there are strict criteria.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
All-time Predator to me would be Scott Waker, hands down, no questions asked. He was the first guy that truly stood for what a Predator is. Heart and soul, scratched and clawed his way up the lines, stood up for teammates, played hard every shift, that's a Predator to me. I'll get off my soap box now.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
All-time Predator to me would be Scott Waker, hands down, no questions asked. He was the first guy that truly stood for what a Predator is. Heart and soul, scratched and clawed his way up the lines, stood up for teammates, played hard every shift, that's a Predator to me. I'll get off my soap box now.

.... and then said he would be cool with it if we were contracted. :shakehead

ah, feels good to be disagreeing with you again :laugh:

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
.... and then said he would be cool with it if we were contracted. :shakehead

ah, feels good to be disagreeing with you again :laugh:

I get that but I still voted for Suter and I was lot more mad at him for what he did than what Walker said. And honestly at the time I agreed with his comments to some degree. Now considering he had a career because of expansion, I do find that funny. Once again though, what do we base it off of, on the ice, off the ice or both? At the end of the day it should be about hockey but alas. Glad we're not agreeing again, I was getting worried.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
Base it off of whatever you feel like basing it off of. To me, it's about performance on the ice while wearing a Predator uniform. That's why Kariya is ranked so low and Hartnell and Forsberg didn't make the list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad