ATP Game - Quarter Finals - (5) Tomas Vokoun vs (4) Ryan Suter

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
If it isn't Suter, there is something seriously wrong with this fan base.

Disagree completely. This poll isn't "best hockey player at his position who was a Pred"

The title of the tournament is "all time Predator"

To me Vokoun meant far more to this teams success, history and identity than Suter

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Disagree completely. This poll isn't "best hockey player at his position who was a Pred"

To me Vokoun meant far more to this teams success, history and identity than Suter

Because Vokoun was able to steal a series ... won 1 game in the 06-07 Post-Season

Suter on the other hand helped us get 2 series wins, playing a ton of minutes ... to each there own I guess :dunno:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Because Vokoun was able to steal a series ... won 1 game in the 06-07 Post-Season

Suter on the other hand helped us get 2 series wins, playing a ton of minutes ... to each there own I guess :dunno:

Without Vokoun we are a lot more like Columbus or Atlanta. He was a big reason we got over the hump

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
If it isn't Suter, there is something seriously wrong with this fan base.

I can't imagine that anyone that started as a fan of this expansion franchise and carried through to today could possibly pick Suter over TV. I'm not sure I pick ANYONE over him. He was everything that goes into this type of vote. Everything.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009

There are two obvious, and rather large, flaws here.

First, sample size. Vokoun played in a total of one series for the Predators. Suter played in, I think, seven. Some smaller flaws that go along with that large one would be ignoring the difficulty of our opponent that year. We matched up against the Sharks even though Nashville and San Jose were tied for most wins in the West that year. Injuries were also pretty bad that year. Finally, at that time our coaching staff had only two post season series worth of experience, and our team as a whole wasn't all that experience in the post season. Just based on the amount of chances Suter got compared to Vokoun, adding in the gained experience across the board by the time we actually won a series, it makes sense to expect Suter to have been on a more successful post season roster.

Second, you're taking something away from Vokoun for not "stealing" a series while giving praise to Suter for "helping" to win two series. Granted, winning a series is better than not winning one, but this is disproportionate. One cannot be expected to steal a series, implying that the player got less help than they should have from their teammates, while the other is expected to merely help his teammates.

I'm not sure why playing a ton of minutes goes in the pro column for Suter. Goalies play more minutes than anyone else.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
The Mike Dunham trade fundamentally changed this team from being in "expansion mode" to being in "playoff contender" mode. And the primary reason for that was because it made Tomas Vokoun the starting goaltender for this team.

He hasn't worn blue and gold in several years now, but he is still #2 overall in wins and shutouts, and is still the franchise leader in saves made.

Sorry, Ryan, but INEC.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If the poll was " Best All Time Player for the Predators" my vote is probably very different. That said thats not what the title of the poll is, its best all time Predator, and for me there is more to it than just stats.

Vokoun was that first guy in my mind that was ours. He wasn't handed the job, he worked and earned every minute of it. When I think of a Predator, he is one if not the first names on my list.

Suter in my mind never was a Pred, he always came across as a guy that was just playing for the Preds until he could get out.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013

Totally agree.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
The way it ended with Suter seems to be influencing this - this should be a lot closer than it is.

So what that has to be taken into account. Vokoun signed here long term before being stabbed in the back by Liarpold. Suter did never committed to playing here and then joined Liarpold. Also just on history with the team Vokoun is the best player at his position. Suter is second at best.

trevorbird

Aug 9, 2010
Tennessee
Vokoun was an incredible goalie from 03 until 2011 at the least...guy always worked his ass off on average teams. Even if this was based on just "best" player, it's not as far off as some people act like. Vokoun was the first great player this franchise had.

Blaming Vokoun for losing the Sharks series is just stupid. If Leipold didn't do what he did, Vokoun would be the first player to deserve to have his number retired here.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
You take out the blood clot issue that derailed Vokouns career, and we might not even be basing this around the hatred of Suter.

Still, let's be honest, we all dislike Ryan Suter here, and for good reason. The man acted cowardly towards David Poile and this organization. He gave us the finger, and he went to Minnesota. Their were many many different avenues for him to leave while not engendering hatred, but he single-handedly waffled and lied and took the coward's way out.

No one likes Ryan Suter around here. His legacy is tainted. He will always be reviled here unless there is some Lebron James type of home-coming / forgiveness / storyline that miraculously takes place (hint, it won't).

Anywho, the man is easily among the top 3-4 talented Predators to don the jersey, but I don't see how our fanbase can ever get over the world-class screw job that took place (and yes, many of us saw it a mile away and knew Poile was getting conned - it still burns).

iceflyer101

Jul 30, 2014
Knoxville, TN
Vokoun is my hands down favorite to win this competition. He embodies what it means to be a Nashville Predator. Suter, while extremely talented, was never in my opinion a Predator. He showed us his true self, and that is why I will not vote for him.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
The fact that Suter is shocked at the reception he gets here shows how little he understands this fan base. He never "got" Nashville--just being a country music fan isn't enough. Just playing here isn't enough. There's a deep seated respect for Vokoun. He worked his butt off and shouldered this team. I know I felt like a family member was involved when he had that blood clot issue. It wasn't that he was our goalie and we probably wouldn't get as far in the playoffs, it was that he was OUR goalie. We'd seen that guy play for months on a broken foot without a complaint. We saw him send himself back to the minors so he could ride the pine and remember his roots. We saw him jump for joy at his first shut out. We saw him win our first playoff game--in our building and over the WINGS. We saw him with the first Preds playoff shut out. He's ours. He can go ANYWHERE, and he's still ours because he let us know we belonged to HIM.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
There is a good chance that, if he really wanted to, he could come back here and get a job with the team - and no one would be upset (except of course maybe Carter Hutton).

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
The fact that Suter is shocked at the reception he gets here shows how little he understands this fan base. He never "got" Nashville--just being a country music fan isn't enough. Just playing here isn't enough. There's a deep seated respect for Vokoun. He worked his butt off and shouldered this team. I know I felt like a family member was involved when he had that blood clot issue. It wasn't that he was our goalie and we probably wouldn't get as far in the playoffs, it was that he was OUR goalie. We'd seen that guy play for months on a broken foot without a complaint. We saw him send himself back to the minors so he could ride the pine and remember his roots. We saw him jump for joy at his first shut out. We saw him win our first playoff game--in our building and over the WINGS. We saw him with the first Preds playoff shut out. He's ours. He can go ANYWHERE, and he's still ours because he let us know we belonged to HIM.
this is the best post I have read in a while

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad