Atlanta to the AHL?

Salsero1

Nov 10, 2022
200 people showed up to the save the thrashers really that alone proves me right.
That doesn't prove anything. 200,000 people could have showed up, the ownership group didn't want to own anything other than the Hawks and the building and their opinion was the only thing that mattered. Nobody was going to save the Thrashers.

Anyone showing up at that rally was nothing other than symbolic.

Kurticus

Nov 17, 2022
I have been hearing rumblings about Atlanta getting an AHL team for all of this season and more, but I did not believe it. Then I saw this tweet by a journalist from a respected publication in the city. My only issue is I have no clue which team, if any, are even for sale. Thoughts?

Hey Atlantian, I've been down a rabbit hole the past few days on various threads because I've been seeing rumors on expanding hockey in ATL.

What are your thoughts on the Glads doing the themed "Thrashers game"? It seems to be much much more in depth than their traditional heritage nights. Going as far as rebranding the team in Thrasher's name for the game, having the mascot and arena decor, etc. Is it a possible test on the waters of the public's want of a higher level hockey team?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Atlanta Metro Population
2000: 3.522 million
2010 4.544 million
2022 6.013 million

a surefire way to change if "hockey works in X" is to inject a truckload of new fans and money into said market.
Only if you take the population increase and multiply it by 6 or 7 percent. Those are the numbers for hockey fans in the US. It might be less in the deep south. Everybody can't be Nashville!

My math says that assuming 7%, for 2,5 million new people, you get 175,000 new hockey fans. At 5%, 125,000.

Reactions: JMCx4

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
It failed because Atlanta doesn't care about hockey you can bring up the ECHL all you want but the ONLY league that truly matters is the NHL and failed twice because nobody gave a shit.

Why would they when the franchise was middling in mediocrity and the ownership group were way more into the NBA? What's the incentive to go see .500 hockey year after year?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why would they when the franchise was middling in mediocrity and the ownership group were way more into the NBA? What's the incentive to go see .500 hockey year after year?

are you are aware of the Leafs from 2006 -2017?

we have killed for 500.

You don't stop showing up because they are bad.

If that were the case the ACC/SBA would have been empty for a decade.

Buffalo attendance is suffering now but it's only suffering NOW it's taken an NHL record playoff drought, and no I'm not talking about not winning a round I'm talkingnot even making it, or really even getting close ever.

Bad stretches happen trust the Leaf fan when he tells you they happen.

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
are you are aware of the Leafs from 2006 -2017?

we have killed for 500.

You don't stop showing up because they are bad.

If that were the case the ACC/SBA would have been empty for a decade.

Buffalo attendance is suffering now but it's only suffering NOW it's taken an NHL record playoff drought, and no I'm not talking about not even making it, or really even getting close ever.

Bad stretches happen trust the Leaf fan when he tells you they happen.

Yes, but I am also aware the Thrashers had a grand total of one playoff appearance in which they couldn't muster 1 victory. The very same Leafs you speak of had more playoff wins than that. The franchise had zero identity and had an ownership group that was more interested in the NBA team they were also running.

Again, why would anyone want to pay money for this? Atlanta isn't some one-horse town, there's other things to do and see rather than watch .500 hockey with an ownership group that doesn't give a shit.

nhlfan79

Feb 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Yes, but I am also aware the Thrashers had a grand total of one playoff appearance in which they couldn't muster 1 victory. The very same Leafs you speak of had more playoff wins than that. The franchise had zero identity and had an ownership group that was more interested in the NBA team they were also running.

Again, why would anyone want to pay money for this? Atlanta isn't some one-horse town, there's other things to do and see rather than watch .500 hockey with an ownership group that doesn't give a shit.

It's ludicrous to use an Original Six team with 100 years of established history in the most rabid hockey market on the planet as a measuring stick for what attendance purportedly "should" have been in Atlanta. If you didn't live through it firsthand as a season-ticket holder like I did, you simply cannot understand how hostile ASG was to hockey fans here. They actively wanted people to stay away. It's simply unprecedented in professional sports. Malfeasance is far different from mere incompetence in running a franchise.

Did any Leafs owner ever publicly call a season ticket holder a "smartass" in front of a room of 1,000 people, including small children, simply for asking why they were always spending only to the cap floor while constantly jacking up ticket prices?

(And I haven't even mentioned the irreversible impact of the 2003 Heatley-Snyder tragedy and fallout, much less the constant infighting and lawsuits between different factions of ASG itself for the entirety of their ownership.)

Also, you cherry-picked 2006-17, but conveniently neglected to mention that the Leafs had gone to the playoffs 10 of the preceding 12 years between 1993-2005, including the Conference Finals three times. They won 11 playoff rounds over that stretch. Had Atlanta had anywhere close to that level of relative success, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It's ludicrous to use an Original Six team with 100 years of established history in the most rabid hockey market on the planet as a measuring stick for what attendance purportedly "should" have been in Atlanta. If you didn't live through it firsthand as a season-ticket holder like I did, you simply cannot understand how hostile ASG was to hockey fans here. They actively wanted people to stay away. It's simply unprecedented in professional sports. Malfeasance is far different from mere incompetence in running a franchise.

Did any Leafs owner ever publicly call a season ticket holder a "smartass" in front of a room of 1,000 people, including small children, simply for asking why they were always spending only to the cap floor while constantly jacking up ticket prices?

(And I haven't even mentioned the irreversible impact of the 2003 Heatley-Snyder tragedy and fallout, much less the constant infighting and lawsuits between different factions of ASG itself for the entirety of their ownership.)

Also, you cherry-picked 2006-17, but conveniently neglected to mention that the Leafs had gone to the playoffs 10 of the preceding 12 years between 1993-2005, including the Conference Finals three times. They won 11 playoff rounds over that stretch. Had Atlanta had anywhere close to that level of relative success, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.
nhlfan:

what does any of that have to do with either the Gladiators or any potential Atlanta-based AHL franchise, even if there were a proposal to promote either the Gladiators or create an expansion team, which is not happening now that Seattle has selected Coachella Valley as its AHL Franchise, the AHL isn't expanding past 32 that avenue of Anson Carter buying in to another AHL Franchise or any other existing NHL Franchise, whether it's Atlanta or not, ends the discussion of what this thread was discussing the minute the ECHL Approved Carter as a partner in the Gladiators..... much like the transition the AHL went through in 2014-2016 with the creation of the Pacific Division, after buying the assets of the IHL and the expansion then of the AHL FROM 21 to 27 IN 2001....

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
nhlfan:

what does any of that have to do with either the Gladiators or any potential Atlanta-based AHL franchise, even if there were a proposal to promote either the Gladiators or create an expansion team, which is not happening now that Seattle has selected Coachella Valley as its AHL Franchise, the AHL isn't expanding past 32 that avenue of Anson Carter buying in to another AHL Franchise or any other existing NHL Franchise, whether it's Atlanta or not, ends the discussion of what this thread was discussing the minute the ECHL Approved Carter as a partner in the Gladiators..... much like the transition the AHL went through in 2014-2016 with the creation of the Pacific Division, after buying the assets of the IHL and the expansion then of the AHL FROM 21 to 27 IN 2001....
Can you please stop posting your nonsense in this thread?

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Hey Atlantian, I've been down a rabbit hole the past few days on various threads because I've been seeing rumors on expanding hockey in ATL.

What are your thoughts on the Glads doing the themed "Thrashers game"? It seems to be much much more in depth than their traditional heritage nights. Going as far as rebranding the team in Thrasher's name for the game, having the mascot and arena decor, etc. Is it a possible test on the waters of the public's want of a higher level hockey team?

Expanding hockey in Atlanta is a goal of the new ownership group, however, this promotion was set in motion months before the new group took over. The team got special permission from the NHL to use the Thrashers name and logos for this event. The announcement of this promotion marks the third time in the first month of play that the Gladiators have gotten national media attention. I see this promotion, not as a way to gauge interest for higher level hockey, but as a way to reunite the Atlanta hockey market in order to find figure out its current standing. Since the departure of the Thrashers and the subsequent rebranding of the Gwinnett Gladiators, I do not believe the demographic of the Gladiator fans has changed. The majority of the fans are still from the Gwinnett county area and further northeast suburbs like Hall and Barrow counties. I see this as a way to show people in the perimeter or in more western suburbs like Cobb that there is still high level professional hockey within the metro area. Comparatively speaking, I see the modern ECHL as equivalent in skill and speed to the mid to late-2000's AHL, so hockey fans in the area who have not been to a game in the 11-12 years or more since the Thrashers left would still be impressed. Back to the original question though, I see this as a way for the new ownership group to set a baseline in order to solidify a plan to grow hockey in the area.

Can you please stop posting your nonsense in this thread?
Every thread*

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
nhlfan:

HELLO POT!!!!!!

Reactions: wildcat48

Gulls Watcher

Aug 1, 2016
Sun City, CA
Expanding hockey in Atlanta is a goal of the new ownership group, however, this promotion was set in motion months before the new group took over. The team got special permission from the NHL to use the Thrashers name and logos for this event. The announcement of this promotion marks the third time in the first month of play that the Gladiators have gotten national media attention. I see this promotion, not as a way to gauge interest for higher level hockey, but as a way to reunite the Atlanta hockey market in order to find figure out its current standing. Since the departure of the Thrashers and the subsequent rebranding of the Gwinnett Gladiators, I do not believe the demographic of the Gladiator fans has changed. The majority of the fans are still from the Gwinnett county area and further northeast suburbs like Hall and Barrow counties. I see this as a way to show people in the perimeter or in more western suburbs like Cobb that there is still high level professional hockey within the metro area. Comparatively speaking, I see the modern ECHL as equivalent in skill and speed to the mid to late-2000's AHL, so hockey fans in the area who have not been to a game in the 11-12 years or more since the Thrashers left would still be impressed. Back to the original question though, I see this as a way for the new ownership group to set a baseline in order to solidify a plan to grow hockey in the area.

Every thread*
The size for the Atlanta market you think would be attractive to the AHL.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The size for the Atlanta market you think would be attractive to the AHL.
it's actually not...... based off the history which includes the current Gladiators add in the historical fact that Gwinnett County became the destination.... Atlanta metro is so spread out that the same has happened to other regional branding.... in fact, Atlanta Motor Speedway is not even in the Metro, it's in Hampton, that's how wide the regionalization extends, since the Gladiators rebranded..... never mind the affiliation aspects, since Carolina couldn't make it stick long term w/ Charlotte even after helping facilitate the buying and promoting the Checkers up, even the Braves did that with the G-Braves, now the Gwinnett Stripers once the Diamond started to become obsolete in Henrico County, VA.... Something the Flying Squirrels have dealt with ever since coming there from Norwich

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
it's actually not...... based off the history which includes the current Gladiators add in the historical fact that Gwinnett County became the destination.... Atlanta metro is so spread out that the same has happened to other regional branding.... in fact, Atlanta Motor Speedway is not even in the Metro, it's in Hampton, that's how wide the regionalization extends, since the Gladiators rebranded..... never mind the affiliation aspects, since Carolina couldn't make it stick long term w/ Charlotte even after helping facilitate the buying and promoting the Checkers up, even the Braves did that with the G-Braves, now the Gwinnett Stripers once the Diamond started to become obsolete in Henrico County, VA.... Something the Flying Squirrels have dealt with ever since coming there from Norwich
:help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad