Podcast (Audio) ATKM Draft Analysis w/ Mark Yannetti

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Sad that one of our best and only resources of information is also one of our biggest if not the biggest tool on our fanbase out there.
Yes...and it said a lot last year during the prospect challenge tournament, he goes to Vegas for Punk Rock Bowling. And more and more, he's posting all the Ducks news and prospect stuff. Like, he's trying to build a bigger footprint and following. Many of us are ok the Ducks exist...and can even appreciate their players....but most of us do not want to follow them and several loathe them.

Last edited:

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
It's funny that you mentioned that PJBII. I notice that too. It's an attempt to convey to the listener that hey I'm in with these guys, I know them! I do appreciate the information that I can get from his podcast and interviews, but I could do without the Pierre McGuire type information about Kings front office people.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
But but but...Hoven pinned his at the top and trumpeted his as THE.BEST.PODCAST.
In 1:46:00 , he didn't even ask Yannetti about Connors or Wright. Maybe 30 seconds about each.
I swear I actually fell asleep and woke up and had to go back to where I fell asleep and listen again,
And I love prospect and draft stuff...and Yannetti's interviews. Hoven prides himself on knowing what
Ruutuu eats for breakfast (or such shtt) and spews his little factoids of every nuance he knows about
everyone that works for the Kings. Guess what ? Most everyone does not care or want to hear
about any of that crap. ZERO. Most of us want to know the process of finding Connors, Wright, Salin....
and what he sees in them...why they drafted Kaleb Lawrence. How about, let's find out how he thinks Helenius did last year and what he expects from him in the AHL this year. How good is Chromiak? Where does he expect him to fit in, in Ontario. Did they stay in contact with Kirsanov since drafting him? How do they navigate in having him not sign another contract there and getting him to the USA?

How about asking about Clarke's Team Canada snub, or getting suspended for a clean hit? I would like Yannetti's views on those things...and not talking 10 minutes about Tony Gasparini, who just left the organization. I don't need or want to know 10 minutes of stories about Tony.
Welll.... I guess I know what I'm asking him next time I talk to him....

hauspaint

Oct 19, 2005
Yes...and it said a lot last year during the prospect challenge tournament, he goes to Vegas for Punk Rock Bowling. And more and more, he's posting all the Ducks news and prospect stuff. Like, he's trying to build a bigger footprint and following. Many of us are ok the Ducks exist...and can even appreciate their players....but most of us do not want to follow them and several loathe them.
seinfeld-newman.gif

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
It's funny that you mentioned that PJBII. I notice that too. It's an attempt to convey to the listener that hey I'm in with these guys, I know them! I do appreciate the information that I can get from his podcast and interviews, but I could do without the Pierre McGuire type information about Kings front office people.
This is why he uses everyone’s nick name.

“I’m no mere blogger…I’m in tight with these guys! Me and Brownie, QB, Kopi, Blakey and Nelly are basically co-workers! Foxy and Gaspo might stop by later! Gonna be a beaut!! “

It’s uncomfortable and predictable, like mosquitos on a summer’s eve.

SaltyElkHunter

Grocery Shopping in the woods
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
Man you guys hate Hoven. Lol. I just liked ATKM interview better. I’ve met John a couple times and he definitely wants to sit at the cool Kids table but, he’s also just marketing himself. If you want a popular podcast you have to be a bit of an attention whore. He gets some good info sometimes you just have to put up with the “how cool am I “ schtick same as Bernstein.

I liked ATKM interview because it let Yanetti be the star and he wasn’t trying to tonight show the interview.

Also dig the fact he took questions from us and presented them as such. John would do the same thing but not give any credit and say “mayors manor is the only place you will get these kind of questions answered.”

Can’t wait to hear the next interview. Would love to hear from some of the guys in the development staff with a similar format to get the next step on some of the same topics. Stoll, O’Donnell, and Ranford would be killer. Maybe bring in some bbq shortribs, some good sides, and a good bottle of bourbon as social lubricant. Actually having Yanetti sit in on the interview, you might get the other guys to let down the guard and be more candid.

Last edited:

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
WELL THEN HAVE I GOT SOME GOOD NEWS FOR YOU!!!
Byfield and short stick (& hunched over skating) -- that's the Q for the development side that i think we all want to know what's happening to fix that (or why it's NOT happening).

Edit: duh, just saw the other thread on this topic.

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
I guess it's to late to submit, but I'm curious about the "process" of the development process. Some things are out of their hands, like how a player might be deployed, but does that change when they are with a closely affiliated team like the Reign? Do they get to say, "try player X on the penalty kill?" Or is it totally up to the coach at that level.

Do they spend more of their time identifying skills that need improvement, coming up with plans to address them, then following up with players? Do they have a priority list of skills and their absolute importance, or does it depend on the particular player, their current skillset, their position, their style, etc? What's the tradeoff between developing strengths and shoring up weaknesses? How much do they interact with the advanced stat, nutrition, and strengthening peeps?

I know you covered some of this with Yannetti. Maybe what I'm looking for is not so much an interview but an essay from someone on what exactly development entails. Everyone here seems to gripe about it, but I'm not sure we understand it.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
Welll.... I guess I know what I'm asking him next time I talk to him....
Hey Jesse, one person I'd love to hear from is Rob Vollman if you ever get a chance to interview him.

I guess this could have been a question for Yanetti too - considering how Kings draftees typically have a pretty high NHLe score in aggregate, which is a production metric pioneered by Vollman, how much weight does the scouting stuff put into that when they are making their lists and picking at the draft? I'm curious how they utilize Vollman both in drafting and at the NHL level. Wish I had thought of this earlier but perhaps could be something for the future.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4