Podcast (Audio) ATKM Draft Analysis w/ Mark Yannetti

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
We're recording a follow up episode to our conversation with Mark Yannetti from last week (pre-draft)...

If you want me to ask him anything specific and you can phrase it in a way that would make sense for me to ask, keeping in mind I'm a team employee...... go ahead and put it in here before tomorrow morning and I'll try and get as many of them as I can.

EDIT : HERE'S THE EPISODE

Last edited:

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
What role does performance at the combine play in picking which tier a prospect falls into?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
What lessons did the Kings learn from selecting the likes of Thomas Hickey, Colten Teubert, and Derek Forbort in the first round ahead of more talented players? We know Lombardi likes to build from the net out, so were those examples of the Kings drafting out of need versus the best talent available?

Last edited:

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
1) Now that this recent draft has been completed do the Kings already have a predetermined draft board for next draft and adjust it by how a player grows/falls within the year or is it a blank board and it fills in throughout the year?

2) Do the scouting staff know a list of players who they will focus their scouting on from last seasons scouting cycle or is it just go watch games and find guys?

3) How does the draft board come together leading into the draft?

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
What is his perspective on the comparative development curves of our late 1st and 2nd rounders versus our top 15 picks? Why is it that players like Kaliyev and Toffoli seemed to have been given more opportunity in the NHL than players like Turcotte? Does he truly think the “slow cook,” systems-heavy method should apply to all players regardless of those with unique, top-of-the-draft offensive skills? Why haven’t we seen a Turcotte or a Byfield get the type of free reign to develop that Doughty or Kopitar did as rookies?

P.S. Thanks, Jesse!

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
How much of a say/influence does Blake have on the first round pick versus the second pick? Cause the bang for the buck on second rounders has been lights out compared to the first rounders.

Follow up question if Blake is as involved in the first rounders as I think he is, can you guys pay off a security guard to lock Blake in the bathroom or have him get stuck in the elevator just before the first round starts?

Reactions: Vino

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
What is his perspective on the comparative development curves of our late 1st and 2nd rounders versus our top 15 picks? Why is it that players like Kaliyev and Toffoli seemed to have been given more opportunity in the NHL than players like Turcotte? Does he truly think the “slow cook,” systems-heavy method should apply to all players regardless of those with unique, top-of-the-draft offensive skills? Why haven’t we seen a Turcotte or a Byfield get the type of free reign to develop that Doughty or Kopitar did as rookies?

P.S. Thanks, Jesse!
great questions

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
There are already some great questions posed in this.

I would love insight as to why the management thought it to be a good decision to have Byfield/Spence/Vilardi were watching playoff hockey from the rafters while the Reign (who could have greatly used their talent) also lost a playoff series. What's the decision making process here? Why did we bench our youth and not send them down to the AHL for valuable playoff time?

Thanks Jesse.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Thanks for doing this Jesse, and giving this board a chance to have questions asked....knowing that you can only field some....and not ones that Yannetti may not want to / cannot answer.

1. If the 2020 draft was re-done, where do you think Chromiak would be selected? What improvements has made him go from a 5th rounder to the level of play he is now attaining?
2. Do you feel Kupari will reach his potential and do you see him as a center or winger?
3. Was Wroblewski wanting Faber, since he coached him and a reason you traded up? (I cared more about this question, pre-trading him)
4. was there a close split amongst all of your scouts, when it came to preference of Byfield / Stutzle?
(without elaborating specifics, if he can give any answer)
5. Kirill Kirsanov is signed through next year with SKA. What is the process of communicating with him or his agent, that you would like him to not sign another contract and get him to sign with the Kings?
Without other Russians on the Kings, does that make it a more' difficult sell'?
Do you feel his potential compares to whom?

Last edited:

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Do they keep tabs of prospects that were high on the Kings board after they are drafted by an opponent. We have seen them aquire guys like Lias and Madden in the past. Were those two scouted heavily in there draft year and beyond?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Byfield has to be the most important pick for the Kings since Doughty...I'd like to know the scouting staff's thoughts on his development and what they are expecting this coming season. Would also love to hear their thoughts on Turcotte as well.

Last edited:

SaltyElkHunter

Grocery Shopping in the woods
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
Who’s your favorite player you ever drafted?

Who’s the one player you wish you drafted that you were in position to do so?

What player made you look like an accidental genius?

What’s your favorite junior arena to watch a game in?

What’s your favorite draft year of all time?

LB

Jun 4, 2014
Los Angeles
We're recording a follow up episode to our conversation with Mark Yannetti from last week (pre-draft)...

If you want me to ask him anything specific and you can phrase it in a way that would make sense for me to ask, keeping in mind I'm a team employee...... go ahead and put it in here before tomorrow morning and I'll try and get as many of them as I can.

Once the episode is recorded, edited and published (probably Thursday morning) I'll edit this thread and put the link in here.
So I'm wondering if there ended up being anyone available at 19 that they didn't expect to still be there (not that they still wouldn't make the Fiala trade, it's worth it) but just curious how they felt when that pick came up with who ended up being available.

As far as Jack Hughes - with the Kings pretty full of Centers, does Mark think moving Hughes to the wing by the time he's NHL ready makes sense for him?

LB

Jun 4, 2014
Los Angeles
Do the Kings know they lack toughness? Why are they drafting smaller, softer players? What happened to inviting players like Ty McSorley and Cade McNeely to camp?
The current team does lack toughness... but they drafted 2 dudes over 6'6" and over 225 pounds each as teenagers so that's the wrong question when it comes to who they drafted lol

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
Martin Chromiak was a player who was predicted as high as the 2nd round who ended up falling massivly to the kings at 128 and has since gone on to produce as one of the top juniors in the OHL. Was he higher on the kings board? Why 128 and not 83 or 112? And lastly what were the knocks on him that caused his fall so far because even as far back as training camp straight after he was drafted it became clear that he was not your average 5th round pick.

Chromiack has always intrigued me, I just can't see how he is so good yet dropped so hard.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Thanks for doing this Jesse, and thanks to Mark for all the time he spent interviewing with you guys. It's truly nice to get some information out of this organization.

The Kings have emphasized significant early AHL development time for higher end young players (rnd 1&2 picks). Is there any concern that this could be damaging the offensive upside of some of these young players by having them in the AHL as teenagers?

What are your favorite NCAA and CHL cities or rinks to visit?

When does California produce its first real NHL star?

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
So I'm wondering if there ended up being anyone available at 19 that they didn't expect to still be there (not that they still wouldn't make the Fiala trade, it's worth it) but just curious how they felt when that pick came up with who ended up being available.
In Yanetti's interview with Hoven, he said they would have taken a European.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad