Podcast (Audio) ATKM Director of Player Development, Glen Murray - AVAILABLE NOW

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Don't have a locked in confirmed recording time but looks like we'll be talking to Glen Murray soon.

I know some of you wondered why I didn't ask Mark Yannetti or Jarret Stoll about Alex Turcotte and some of you didn't like the explanation I gave for WHY I didn't ask about him... well part of the reason that I wasn't going to get into at that time was because I knew this conversation was a possibility and in my mind it would be a more appropriate setting for that kind of inquiry.

SO....

submit your questions here and if I have time and if I feel like it... I'll select some of them

as always... keep in mind that I work for the team so if you're asking "why does this player suck?" or "why did you guys make so many mistakes" I'll probably ignore it.

As always... when we're done recording and the episode is published I'll provide the link here.

EDIT:

Last edited:

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Oooo, this is going to be a zesty one :P Probably the #1 thing on the fanbase's mind in regard to the entire organization is resting on Murray. I will see what others ask and if I am able to word my inquiries in a good way :P

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Copy pasta incoming…

What is his perspective on the comparative development curves of our late 1st and 2nd rounders versus our top 15 picks? Why is it that players like Kaliyev and Toffoli seemed to have been given more opportunity in the NHL than players like Turcotte? Does he truly think the “slow cook,” systems-heavy method should apply to all players regardless of those with unique, top-of-the-draft offensive skills? Why haven’t we seen a Turcotte or a Byfield get the type of free reign to develop that Doughty or Kopitar did as rookies?

P.S. Thanks, Jesse! No worries if you can’t ask this or don’t think it’ll be fruitful to. I trust you to deliver an awesome interview regardless; I’ve enjoyed all the ones this off-season!

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
Re:Ontario…if the AHL is used primarily for development, why are AAAA guys like Frk and Tynan given all the prime 1st unit PP time ahead of the prospects who need playing time to improve? It’s understandable in the NHL, the old horses are often placated and rewarded with PP time over promising kids. But the AHL? It’s great that Frk and Tynan feel good about themselves but is that more important than developing the young high end offensive players?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I know some of you wondered why I didn't ask Mark Yannetti or Jarret Stoll about Alex Turcotte and some of you didn't like the explanation I gave for WHY I didn't ask about him... well part of the reason that I wasn't going to get into at that time was because I knew this conversation was a possibility and in my mind it would be a more appropriate setting for that kind of inquiry.

SO....

Oooo, this is going to be a zesty one :P Probably the #1 thing on the fanbase's mind in regard to the entire organization is resting on Murray. I will see what others ask and if I am able to word my inquiries in a good way :P

wait, why? What am I missing re: Murray's role vs. the others?

or is it a simple answer, ie he's in development?

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
wait, why? What am I missing re: Murray's role vs. the others?

or is it a simple answer, ie he's in development?

Occam's razor

Makes sense.

Just wondered if I missed some "Glen Murray is Turcotte's personal chef" news or something :laugh:

Haha :P Pretty much. It is just prospect performance is the #1 thing the fanbase is focused on in concern of the team. Arguably, it is the main thing holding the team back and/or preventing them from taking the next step. It isn't the only thing or only way, but if they could get more help from the prospects while on their ELC's or bridge deals, they would start to enter into the realm of being a contender.

It is hard to watch other teams develop their young talent to be top players on their rosters and comparable prospects taken near or after ours outperforming our own; all while we were so widely regarded as having one of the top-rated prospect pools in the league.

Clearly if Turcotte and company fall on their faces, it is not entirely Murray's fault, but being the head of their development, the buck has to stop somewhere and someone will be thrown under the bus for it, and if so many of them fail or fall short, it would be hard to pin it all on bad drafting.

Obviously, we still have time, many are very young, and we are still in the middle of the process, but much of "the plan" rests on some of these kids stepping up and taking the reigns and there is definitely worry, likely around both the fanbase and Kings staff/management/personnel, if they really will.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Makes sense.

Just wondered if I missed some "Glen Murray is Turcotte's personal chef" news or something :laugh:
Are you saying Murray is a cook at Chipotle?😉

As for a question for Murray:
1). What skills does he find easy/difficult to develop in a prospect?
2) Does he know why it took years for Steve Heinze to wear #57?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm not sure how you'd phrase this but I'd love to know how and why Murray got into development rather than coaching or front office, and how he's learned and grown with it

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Haha :P Pretty much. It is just prospect performance is the #1 thing the fanbase is focused on in concern of the team. Arguably, it is the main thing holding the team back and/or preventing them from taking the next step. It isn't the only thing or only way, but if they could get more help from the prospects while on their ELC's or bridge deals, they would start to enter into the realm of being a contender.

It is hard to watch other teams develop their young talent to be top players on their rosters and comparable prospects taken near or after ours outperforming our own; all while we were so widely regarded as having one of the top-rated prospect pools in the league.

Clearly if Turcotte and company fall on their faces, it is not entirely Murray's fault, but being the head of their development, the buck has to stop somewhere and someone will be thrown under the bus for it, and if so many of them fail or fall short, it would be hard to pin it all on bad drafting.

Obviously, we still have time, many are very young, and we are still in the middle of the process, but much of "the plan" rests on some of these kids stepping up and taking the reigns and there is definitely worry, likely around both the fanbase and Kings staff/management/personnel, if they really will.

I often wonder if the short stint Turcotte got this year, if he had scored 3 or 4 points, he may *possibly* have stuck and been with the team the rest of the year. Then, who knows what the rest of his season could have been.
Would not have had that Englund hit. Although, he could have gotten injured w the Kings. He didn't get a lot of icetime, as I recall. I often liove in woulda coulda shoulda and I need to vacate that fantasy place...

Reactions: Telos

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I have a slew of questions, mostly around Glen Murray's own development path, and if he applies that experience in his daily work.

- Murray was an 18th overall selection by Boston and scored in his NHL debut and experienced a deep playoff run in his first season with the Bruins.

- It wasn't until he was in his mid-20s where Murray finally broke out offensively, potting his first 20+ goal season when he netted 29 goals and 60 points in his first full season with the Kings (playing mostly alongside Jozef Stumpel and Vladimir Tsyplakov).

- Murray went on to have even greater individual success when he rejoined the Bruins in his late 20s, and posted his career best numbers when he was 30, scoring 44 goals and 92 points in 82 games.

- What finally clicked for Murray? Was it who he was playing with, or were there things he changed about how he performed, whether it be his skating, shooting, positioning?

- When Murray joined Boston, Joe Thornton was still a big, young center who took six seasons to become the player he was touted to be. Is that how long it might take for some Kings prospects to finally hit their stride? It also took Murray six seasons when he had his breakout season.

- How does the development staff alleviate pressure on young players? Or do they want young players to feel the pressure? And how often do you have to remind them to avoid social media?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Actually this would be really neat to know. Do they approach top end prospects the same way as other prospect?

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Was it Murray that had the custom skates because he feet were stuffed? Perhaps ask him how all thats going. Does he ever regret the physical toll of playing in the nhl on his carcass?

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
I'm not asking him about his equipment or Rob Blake's equipment. I'm talking to him about his role as Director of Player Development and the development of players and how he helps direct it.

• Haha
Reactions: Gjwrams

Nickster

Hockey is coming
Sponsor
Nov 5, 2017
Inland Empire
What kind of metrics do they favor for evaluating progress of development? Specifically, at the AHL level since they have the largest viewing sample. Or is development more of an eye test thing?

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
What’s one element of skating that you believe is correctable? In contrast, what’s another element of skating that’s difficult to correct?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad