Proposal: Athanasiou to Nashville

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
I'm not sure I understand why Detroit would be interested in trading a 24-year old who will flirt with 30 goals this year for a late 1st round pick. Why not just keep their good young player?

Reactions: WingsMJN2965

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
I'm not sure I understand why Detroit would be interested in trading a 24-year old who will flirt with 30 goals this year for a late 1st round pick. Why not just keep their good young player?
It would make sense if Detroit wanted to add another RHD (Fabbro) that has been developing the past couple years since it would mesh well with our current core (Larkin, Bert, Cholo, Hronek, etc.). AA would only make sense for NSH if they wanted secondary scoring and he won’t be utilized as a C.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
AA not really available, but if he was it's gonna take a bit more than a really late 1st and a decent prospect. Will take more than what Tatar returned because he's younger and more skilled than Tatar.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
It would make sense if Detroit wanted to add another RHD (Fabbro) that has been developing the past couple years since it would mesh well with our current core (Larkin, Bert, Cholo, Hronek, etc.). AA would only make sense for NSH if they wanted secondary scoring and he won’t be utilized as a C.

Fabbro as a base is no good unless he's gonna turn pro before the trade deadline. Too much risk with him going back to school and becoming a free agent next year

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Tatar did break into the league with a decent amount of hype following the Calder cup, but he was a year younger then than AA is now. When Tatar was AAs age, he posted 29+27 in 82 games. AA is on pace for 31 goals and 23 assists prorated to 82 games. Tatar also had significantly better centers that year, splitting his time between Datsyuk and Sheahan, whereas AA has split his time between Nielsen and Glendening.
It doesn't matter who AA's center is as his playstyle doesn't need a good one; stay high and cherry pick for the breakaway.

Now that isn't a knock on him because I'm perfectly fine keeping him. If we're being genuine and serious he's a one-trick pony and always will be but if pots 30 goals a season I really don't care.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
It doesn't matter who AA's center is as his playstyle doesn't need a good one; stay high and cherry pick for the breakaway.

Now that isn't a knock on him because I'm perfectly fine keeping him. If we're being genuine and serious he's a one-trick pony and always will be but if pots 30 goals a season I really don't care.

He's not really a one trick pony tho, that's just the only way he can produce when his linemates are like Darren Helm and Luke Glendening. He's not a great playmaker, doesn't see the ice all that well, IQ isn't great but he does have dynamic speed and hands, he can create space, back off defenders and he can finish. The breakways are great but he's shown he can create his own space inside the O-zone and score with his shot. Also not bad one timing pucks from the slot, sadly though the Wings rarely utilize it, or anybody one timing pucks from the slot altogether

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
When he was struggling a while ago I was wishing for the Leafs to make a solid offer.
Would love to see the Speed of AA and KK on the wings for a guy like Nylander if he ever gets the shot at the 3C spot.

Wonder if he was available what the Leafs would offer.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
He's not really a one trick pony tho, that's just the only way he can produce when his linemates are like Darren Helm and Luke Glendening. He's not a great playmaker, doesn't see the ice all that well, IQ isn't great but he does have dynamic speed and hands, he can create space, back off defenders and he can finish. The breakways are great but he's shown he can create his own space inside the O-zone and score with his shot. Also not bad one timing pucks from the slot, sadly though the Wings rarely utilize it, or anybody one timing pucks from the slot altogether
Agree and disagree. He played with Larkin earlier this season and he got moved away from him. If you ask me why I'd tell you it's because the only play they really tried on a regular basis was Larkin throwing a high dump pass to AA for the breakaway.

But the thing with playing against other first liners and first pairing defensemen is that they'll catch on and stop it. And that's why AA is on the third line now, his raw speed is best utilized there because he's going to torch third liners and third pairing defensemen all game long and he can finish. Just IMO.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Maybe I sold a little low on AA originally but the thing is he’s never broken 20 goals and not shown top line potential. However, he’s produced well given the role and has shown that he’s a good 2nd line winger. Given the age, he should demand a lot and a late 1st + B level D prospect might not do it.

Carrier looked decent in his short stint up in the NHL couple years back but hasn’t had a chance since because of our strong D core. Allard and him are both solid PMD’s but have to get a shot in the NHL and it’s not happening with the Preds.

Like I said, if AA is part of Detroit going forward, barring an overpayment he’ll stay there. If Fabbro were on the table, I think that’s a deal Detroit would take.

Richard Menzel

Jan 23, 2019
Really want this guy in Nashville. Like a younger and bigger version of Grabner.

I was thinking something like:

To NSH
Athanasiou

To DET
2019 2nd
Carrier/Allard

or:

To DET
2019 1st

Is Detroit even ready to break up with AA or is he a part of their long-term plan? Does Nashville have to add to that?
AA is not going anywhere... he is now one of the young Detroit core that is there for the long haul. AA, Larkin, Mantha, Rasmussen, Zadina, Hronek and Cholowski will be staying. Everyone else could be fair game!!

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Maybe I sold a little low on AA originally but the thing is he’s never broken 20 goals and not shown top line potential. However, he’s produced well given the role and has shown that he’s a good 2nd line winger. Given the age, he should demand a lot and a late 1st + B level D prospect might not do it.

Carrier looked decent in his short stint up in the NHL couple years back but hasn’t had a chance since because of our strong D core. Allard and him are both solid PMD’s but have to get a shot in the NHL and it’s not happening with the Preds.

Like I said, if AA is part of Detroit going forward, barring an overpayment he’ll stay there. If Fabbro were on the table, I think that’s a deal Detroit would take.

Nope he has not. He is however tied with McDavid and Vanriemdsyk for 7th in the league in terms of Even Strength Goals scored per 60 over the past 3 years(Qualifier of 2000+ minutes played). Behind Matthews, Arvidsson, Skinner, Laine, Ovechkin, and Atkinson.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
AA is not going anywhere... he is now one of the young Detroit core that is there for the long haul. AA, Larkin, Mantha, Rasmussen, Zadina, Hronek and Cholowski will be staying. Everyone else could be fair game!!

Fair enough.

Nope he has not. He is however tied with McDavid and Vanriemdsyk for 7th in the league in terms of Even Strength Goals scored per 60 over the past 3 years(Qualifier of 2000+ minutes played). Behind Matthews, Arvidsson, Skinner, Laine, Ovechkin, and Atkinson.

That's a good company. He's probably even a better player than I originally thought.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yeah, if we keep drafting talented forwards, we can trade 1 guy like Athanasiou for a defenceman. There will be a logjam of forwards soon, when 2019 1st pick, Veleno, Zadina and Svechnikov all join at once.

Fabbro or Allard would be fine for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad