Recalled/Assigned: Athanasiou and Backman to Grand Rapids

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
That doesn't have a lick of defensive ability, is not great at faceoffs either, and also isn't much of a playmaker either so if you where to say he might have a future as a winger I could agree with you but as a center not so much.

Athanasiou has PK'd plenty so that's no concern. Defense is pretty easy to coach for a guy with Athanasiou's speed, as are faceoffs for guys who have a solid work ethic. Both players were moved to wing at times this year so I hope both can cut it as centers in the AHL. We need depth at center and both players look to be our best bets with Jarnkrok having been traded.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Tryout for Janmark??

I'm assuming the Wings don't want to sign Janmark just yet as they still have 3 more seasons after this to sign him. If they sign him now his ELC starts, and correct me if I'm wrong, this season which means we have to decide to re-sign him in just 2 more seasons. So by signing him to an ATO they are able to keep him under team control for a longer period of time.

Athanasiou has PK'd plenty so that's no concern. Defense is pretty easy to coach for a guy with Athanasiou's speed, as are faceoffs for guys who have a solid work ethic. Both players were moved to wing at times this year so I hope both can cut it as centers in the AHL. We need depth at center and both players look to be our best bets with Jarnkrok having been traded.

I would say he's about below average to average defensively for the OHL level. That of course means that he'd likely be overmatched at the AHL level. Defence is easy to teach but for someone like AA it may take him all 3 seasons to get to an adequate level, much like Tatar had to.

I do think AA's future is on the Wing though. There are very few shoot first centers at the NHL level & to be perfectly honest I don't think he has the hockey IQ or vision to play center at the NHL level. His skill set is much more suited for the wing and trying to pigeon hole him into center may hurt his development.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
I'm assuming the Wings don't want to sign Janmark just yet as they still have 3 more seasons after this to sign him. If they sign him now his ELC starts, and correct me if I'm wrong, this season which means we have to decide to re-sign him in just 2 more seasons. So by signing him to an ATO they are able to keep him under team control for a longer period of time.

I would say he's about below average to average defensively for the OHL level. That of course means that he'd likely be overmatched at the AHL level. Defence is easy to teach but for someone like AA it may take him all 3 seasons to get to an adequate level, much like Tatar had to.

I do think AA's future is on the Wing though. There are very few shoot first centers at the NHL level & to be perfectly honest I don't think he has the hockey IQ or vision to play center at the NHL level. His skill set is much more suited for the wing and trying to pigeon hole him into center may hurt his development.

I agree with this. Although his speed does give him an advantage over others in this field. If he screws up he has the speed to get back and make the play defensively.

I also see him as primarily a wing but I also hope they can teach him to be at least decent at faceoffs and defensive positioning so that he can play all 12 forward spots. not just 4 or 8. Much like what Ferraro talked about, even he still needs to learn to play the other wing so he can make all the necessary plays when on the off wing or in the center spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad