ATD2018 - Draft Thread 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I have 20 minutes to wheel and deal my pick away (am one slot away from it),... PM me asap!

or else I'll have to leave a shortlist with someone.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Thanks IE for making my pick.

To jarek and JE: Yes and no.I got Boucher late last year, because there was a run of picks where no defensemen were taken.

Georges Boucher is underrated in the ATD because he's the perfect #3 defenseman; he's good offensively, he's tough enough, he's decent defensively and he's a great playoff performer, which makes him the perfect guy to start a second pairing with compared to potentially superior but defensively-minded defensemen.

As "proof" of this, he's been an ATD champion three times in that role, the most championships for a defenseman with Harvey.

I didn't research him that much last year, but with Gerard now I didn't want to lose the opportunity to kill two birds with one stone in my newspaper research.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Thanks IE for making my pick.

To jarek and JE: Yes and no.I got Boucher late last year, because there was a run of picks where no defensemen were taken.

Georges Boucher is underrated in the ATD because he's the perfect #3 defenseman; he's good offensively, he's tough enough, he's decent defensively and he's a great playoff performer, which makes him the perfect guy to start a second pairing with compared to potentially superior but defensively-minded defensemen.

As "proof" of this, he's been an ATD champion three times in that role, the most championships for a defenseman with Harvey.

I didn't research him that much last year, but with Gerard now I didn't want to lose the opportunity to kill two birds with one stone in my newspaper research.

You're not playing him with Eddie?

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Re: Karlsson; This Sens fan is happy with him. He's an excellent choice as an offensive minded #3 defenseman in this. What he helped the Senators do last spring was tremendous.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
William "Hod" Stuart, D

Hod-stuart.jpg

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
My 123th pick is available conditional on one guy not being there.Send your offer if interested.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Railers select Doug Gilmour, the Selke-winning Hart trophy runner-up known as one of the greatest competitors in the history of the game, playing every night like it's a playoff game, scoring 1400+ points in 1400+ games, 180+ playoff points in 180+ playoff games, known for his defensive prowess, grit, playmaking and leadership. He scored goals in both overtime games of the '87 Canada Cup final series against the Soviets. Two years later he scored the winning goal and insurance marker in the 4-2 Stanley Cup Final cup-clinching victory over the Canadiens, finishing with 22 points that postseason, tying the other high-scoring pivot Gretzky, whom he is credited with successfully checking in Calgary's victory in the L.A. series. The list of big game moments go on and on, but it's his infectious attitude in the regular season that defines him as a winner.

latest

He had the ability to go into the corner and somehow strip a much bigger player of the puck. He intuitively knew where his wingers were or when a defenseman was slipping into the slot. He could read a game beautifully, and knew exactly when to be tough and when to fall to draw a penalty, knew when a penalty should be called. He was a master of self-preservation who could throw a check with the best of them or land on his back after the slightest contact.

Gilmour was as likely to be found behind his own net checking the offensive center as he was behind the opposition goal looking to pass to a man out front. Never could he be seen floating at the blueline waiting for the breakaway pass. If he were on the ice in the last minute protecting a lead with the net empty, he knew he was there to preserve a win, not to try to pot a selfish empty netter to pad his own goal total. In the modern breakaway world of Gretzky, Gilmour still practiced the ancient art of backchecking. Nor did he shy away from skating along the boards to avoid being checked, or cower when the going got rough.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Thanks.

I'm in a division with Messier and Crosby, so being able to ice one of Lach or Gilmour against them is a matter of survival.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Time for a new thread?

We're in the 6th round, and it's still January! (This might be the earliest we've ever gone through the first five rounds.)

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Time for a new thread?

We're in the 6th round, and it's still January! (This might be the earliest we've ever gone through the first five rounds.)

We had one rough patch in the first round but other than that things are going smoothly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad