Rick Nash - Dan Bain - Mike Modano
Eddie Gerard - Joe Simpson/Gary Bergman

Penalty Kill
Henrik Zetterberg - Claude Provost
Eddie Gerard - Chris Pronger

Johnny Gottselig - Bill Hay
Alexei Gusarov - Kjell Samuelsson

Rick Nash - Mike Modano
Gary Bergman (if a top4 Dman is in the box)

Doug Bentley

Matchups/Strategies
Some general strategies will continue. Gerard/Pronger play the most and toughest minutes on defence. Bergman/Simpson get more offensive situations, Gusarov/Samuelsson get more defensive situations.

Jagr will double shift at times on the fourth line (with Peplinski or Henry out) or stay out longer at times to take advantage of good offensive opportunities.

Desired matchups for this series

1. Get Jagr favorable matchups against Peterborough's bottom 6 forwards/bottom 4 defence, especially on home ice.
2. Modano's line against Nighbor's line.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
I'll try to prepare some arguments soon. Hopefully my opponent will be able to show up.

From the assassination thread, here are Peterborough's special teams.

PP1: Smyth-Nighbor-MacKay-Drinkwater-Stanowski
PP2: Dumart-Schmidt-Hedberg-Van Boxmeer-Vasko

PK1: Dumart-Nighbor-Bouchard-Vasko
PK2: Schmidt-MacKay-Stanowski-McDonald

Unless I hear otherwise I'll argue against these.

Also, I posted an Alexei Gusarov bio. It includes quite a few descriptions of his puck-moving ability, for those who doubt his ability as a lead puck-mover on a bottom pairing.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Gusev is one of the strangest defenseman I've ever read about. Anecdotes talk about how whacky he was on the ice, being incredibly unpredictable with and without the puck, but always somehow finding a way to get back in position defensively. A player I'm very curious about.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Gusev is one of the strangest defenseman I've ever read about. Anecdotes talk about how whacky he was on the ice, being incredibly unpredictable with and without the puck, but always somehow finding a way to get back in position defensively. A player I'm very curious about.

I don't remember him being all that exciting to be honest, but then the mid 90s Avs kind of had a "no-name" defense as far as media attention outside of Ozolinsch and Foote.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I was thinking more about his time in the USSR and internationally with USSR.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
quick arguments, probably all I will have time for: Ottawa has a much better power play, better top end offence. The Pronger-Gerard pairing is one of the best in the draft, built for the playoffs. Gerard's leadership makes sure we get Good Pronger. And our goaltender is just as good despite being drafted later, both were about the 5th best of their era.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
The Pete's top two lines are very good. But they will be carrying a heavy load in this series. It appears as if the top forwards are playing a lot on special teams. And they will certainly play big minutes and tough matchups at EV - I don't think the bottom two lines can give them much relief there.

Ottawa has a deeper, more balanced distribution of roles and ice time. And our top two lines are prett good too.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Since chaos really wants to help his team out but lost the Internet and made that clear, ill say one thing on his behalf - it appears we've been underrating George Hay until now. New information provided in the Dishing the Dirt thread seems to indicate that he was thought of as the best LW in the world in the late 20s, or second best when Nels Stewart played LW.

He seems to have the skillset to perform the puck handler / playmaker from the wing duties that Bobby Bauer did for Schmidt in real life.

I'm not sure it's enough to upset the #1 seed, but I'm a big fan of the Hay-Schmidt duo and feel it's one of the better second line duos in the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad