ATD2011 Bob Cole Semi: (2) Tidewater Sharks vs. (3) Battle Creek Battalion

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Tidewater Sharks

tidsha76.gif

Coach: Tommy Gorman

Sweeney Schriner - Max Bentley - Larry Aurie (A)
Bill Barber - Pat Lafontaine (A) - Alexander Mogilny
Craig Ramsay - Troy Murray - Jimmy Peters
Fred Scanlan - Keith Primeau - Corey Perry
Harry Trihey - Art Farrell

Chris Chelios (C) - Marcel Pronovost
Craig Hartsburg - Ted Harris
Steve Duchesne - Howard McNamara
Mattias Norstrom - Harold Halderson

Roy Worters
Paddy Moran

PP1:
Bill Barber - Pat Lafontaine - Alexander Mogilny
Max Bentley - Chris Chelios

PP2:
Sweeney Schriner - Keith Primeau - Larry Aurie
Marcel Pronovost - Steve Duchesne

PK1:
Craig Ramsay - Troy Murray
Chris Chelios - Marcel Pronovost

PK2:
Max Bentley - Jimmy Peters
Ted Harris - Howard McNamara

VS.

battlecreeklogo.png

Coach: Boris Kulagin

Paul Kariya - Mario Lemieux - Boris Mikhailov
Vsevolod Bobrov - Bernie Federko - Harry Oliver
Gilles Tremblay - Bob Bourne - Gary Dornhoefer
Bob Davidson - Ray Getliffe - Marcel Bonin
Don Grosso - Bronco Horvath

Lionel Conacher - Jan Suchy
Jim Schoenfeld - Andrei Markov
Petr Svoboda - Stefan Persson
Doug Jarrett - Bruce Driver

Hap Holmes
Tomas Vokoun

PP1
Paul Kariya - Mario Lemieux - Boris Mikhailov
Jan Suchy - Stefan Persson

PP2
Vsevolod Bobrov - Bernie Federko - Harry Oliver
Lionel Conacher - Andrei Markov

PK1
Bob Davidson - Bob Bourne
Lionel Conacher - Jim Schoenfeld

PK2
Gilles Tremblay - Ray Getliffe
Jan Suchy - Petr Svoboda

PK3
Mario Lemieux - Boris Mikhailov
Lionel Conacher - Jan Suchy

Hero Line
Vsevolod Bobrov - Mario Lemieux - Boris Mikhailov
Lionel Conacher - Jan Suchy​

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Good luck to Battle Creek, here is to a good series. :) I'll try and sneak by after the Canucks game to post some thoughts.

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
Good luck to Battle Creek, here is to a good series. :) I'll try and sneak by after the Canucks game to post some thoughts.

Good luck to you too, sir. I'll try and get something in on Sunday or so, but not before that in all likelihood.

For the record, Lemieux is my captain, with Mikhailov and Schoenfeld taking the A's.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I think the main focal point of this series will be wearing #66. No point arguing otherwise. Therefore, our main focus will be to deploy one of the best defensive units in the draft against the Lemieux line at all times.

Obviously, no one is fully shutting down Mario, but taking away his wingers is a step in the right direction. There is no player in the draft that I'd be more comfortable with matching up against Mikhailov defensively than Craig Ramsay.

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
Heads up.

Not sure when this series is set to end, but I'm gone until Wednesday so if I don't psrtake in the discussion, ya'll know why. Best of luck to everyone

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I know Troy Murray won a Selke, but what else can you tell us about his defenisve play? If you plan on matching him against Mario, he's going to have a fairly big role in the outcome of the series.

Chelios-Pronovost is a great shut-down pair.

I don't know much about Kulagin at coach, other than he was one the Soviet coaches between Tarasov and Tikhonov who could never stick, and that he lost to Czechoslovakia more than he probably should have.

Last edited:

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I think the advantage Lemieux gives his top line is negated and then some by our big advantage on defense and in the bottom-6. We also probably have the coaching advantage, and home ice. Chelios-Pronovost will be against the Battalion's top lines at every opportunity. We're also perfectly comfortable with our second pairing matching up sporadically against any of Battle Creek's lines.

Hopefully you can still get your say in Dwight. This should be a close one, and it's unfortunate we couldn't generate more of a discussion, as Hed was away too, but I think we're pretty confident on our side that we can pull off a victory here.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I know Troy Murray won a Selke, but what else can you tell us about his defenisve play? If you plan on matching him against Mario, he's going to have a fairly big role in the outcome of the series.

I apologize for not adding this earlier, but I once heard Troy Murray tell a story about shadowing Gretzky during his famous 53 game point streak at a Blackhawks Alumni dinner...

Troy said he stuck to Gretzky all game, and was really proud of how good a job he was doing keeping Gretzky off the score sheet. As it got down to the end of the game, the Oilers had a one goal lead so Chicago pulled the goalie. Murray said Gretzky knocked down a D-to-D pass out of mid air at his own blueline, and was off for an empty netter to keep the streak going. That was game #44.

Just a one game anecdote, so nothing huge, but it's a little more evidence of Troy Murray's defensive abilities.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Tidewater defeats Battle Creek in a hard-fought 7-game series, the closest-voted series of the round.

3 stars:

Lemieux
Chelios
Mikhailov

also factors: Bentley, Schriner, Lafontaine, Kariya, Worters, Ramsay

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
Congrats boys. Wish I could've argued a bit - maybe would've swayed the vote, but ah well. Best of luck. Represent the Cole divison and make us proud! :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad