ATD2010 Jim Robson Semi-Final: Smith's Falls Fusiliers (2) vs. Montreal Shamrocks (3)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Jim Robson Division Semi-Final Round:

Smith's Falls Fusiliers

coach Dick Irvin, Sr.

Syd Howe - Nels Stewart - Rod Gilbert
Patrik Elias - Bryan Trottier (A) - Didier Pitre
Johnny Gottselig (A) - Bob Pulford - Floyd Curry
Rabbit McVeigh - Troy Murray - Boris Mayorov
Ulf Nilsson , Milan Hejduk

Brian Leetch (C) - Lionel Conacher
Vladimir Lutchenko - Gennady Tsygankov
Dollard St. Laurent - Sandis Ozolinsh
Clem Loughlin

Johnny Bower
Bouse Hutton

vs.

Montreal Shamrocks

coach Tommy Gorman

Ted Lindsay (A) - Bobby Clarke (C) - Daniel Alfredsson
Woody Dumart - Elmer Lach (A) - Bill Mosienko
Smokey Harris - Tommy Dunderdale - Harry Oliver
Harry Westwick - Kris Draper - Stan Smyl
Tom Lysiak - Jimmy Gardner

Alexander Ragulin - Cy Wentworth
Allan Stanley - Wally Stanowski
Art Duncan - Bucko McDonald
Steve Duchesne

Billy Smith
Glenn Resch​

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Smith's Falls Fusiliers

PP1: S.Howe - Trottier - Stewart - Leetch - Lutchenko
PP2: Pitre - Gottselig - Gilbert - Ozolinsh - L.Conacher

PK1: Pulford - Curry - Tsygankov - L.Conacher
PK2: Murray - Gottselig - St. Laurent - Leetch

vs.

Montreal Shamrocks

PP1: Lindsay - Clarke - Oliver - Duncan - Stanley
PP2: Harris - Lach - Mosienko - Alfredsson - Wentworth

PK1: Dumart - Clarke - Ragulin - Wentworth
PK2: Lindsay - Draper - Stanley - Stanowski

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
This is one series where the matchups could make a real difference. Who will Clarke be checking all series?

Who will Trottier and Pulford be harassing all series?

And then the defense, of course.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
HOW SMITH’S FALLS WINS

Exploit slower defensemen. Smith’s Falls will need to focus their attack on Stanley and Ragulin, who were both described as relatively poor skaters. A rush led by Leetch, Elias and Pitre (i.e. the Fusiliers second line and top defense pair) would feature three of the fastest skaters of their era and could cause serious problems for Montreal. Smith may face more than his fare share of odd-man rushes. As a mitigating factor, Steward was a slow forward, so Smith’s Falls can’t use their first line to exploit this weakness.

Advantage in net. Regardless of if you evaluate goalies by wins and Stanley Cups or personal stats and save percentage, Bower ranks extremely well. He matches Smith in terms of playoff success (and, for what it’s worth, won a retro Smythe) and easily beats him in personal success, leading the league in save percentage four times in his career.

Third line. Montreal’s third line isn’t great defensively, as Chaos admitted in the previous series. Smith’s Fall has home ice advantage, so they can have control in putting either one of their dangerous scoring lines against this trio. Dunderdale, the best player on the third line, was known for his offense and physical play. In many series, that would be a big advantage, however he’ll be outmatched in both regards by both Stewart and Trottier.

HOW MONTREAL WINS

First lines. VanIslander has shown us that it isn’t impossible to build a great team around Nels Stewart, a dominant player with a unique set of perceived weaknesses (like Dionne or Esposito) that makes it tough to use them as the centerpiece of a team. Smith’s Falls top line, objectively, is great, but is outmatched in this particular series. Stewart is a bit better offensively than Clarke, but he’s regarded as one of the worst defensive stars in NHL history, while Clarke is one of the best. Although Howe’s versatility and two-way play helps mitigate this weakness, he’s no match for Linday.

Westwick. Numerous sources indicate that Westwick was one of the most annoying, scrappy, tenacious pests of his era. Who will he harass this series? He might be most effective against Trottier, one of hockey’s greatest competitors, who may be prone to retaliating and taking stupid penalties.

Ozolinsh. I realize that, as his sixth defenseman, his icetime will be limited, but I don’t see him faring well in a very physical, aggressive series like this. How much of Lindsay-Clarke can he take?

“INTERESTINGâ€

Is anyone else looking forward to seeing a Clarke-Trottier bloodbath? (Or Stewart-Ragulin? Lindsay-Lutchenko? The possibilities are endless.)

Both teams have a Selke winning centre on the fourth line. They’ll certainly have their work cut out for them, as both teams have a Top-100 player centring both of the top two lines.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Should be a great series. Unfortunately, I'm leaving for North Carolina tomorrow morning, and may not have computer access while I'm gone. Will try to get some comments in tonight, but there's a chance I wont be able to respond to any of yours VI.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I think these are the best teams VI and CR have ever put together. It's tough to choose, and it's a shame that one has to go down.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
was looking forward to some intense discussion chaos; let the voters decide because you're busy; thought this series could go either way and indeed the results show that

3 stars: Bobby Clarke, Bryan Trottier, Ted Lindsay.
One helluva physical series!

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Congrats VanIslander. Wish we could've had some good debating. I'm pleased with my team, as my goal with every draft is to improve, and I feel I've done that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad