ATD2010 Foster Hewitt 1st round: Tidewater Sharks (2) vs. Toronto Maple Leafs (7)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Foster Hewitt Division Quarterfinal Round:

Tidewater Sharks

coach Cecil Hart

Sid Smith - Peter Forsberg - Jarome Iginla (A)
Ilya Kovalchuk - Mats Sundin (A) - Harry Hyland
Dave Balon - Cooney Weiland - Bruce Stuart
Bobby Holik - Doug Jarvis - John MacLean
Sven "Tumba" Johansson - Chalie Burns

Doug Harvey - Ebbie Goodfellow
King Clancy (C) - Lloyd Cook
Harry Mummery - Alexander Gusev
Hobey Baker

Grant Fuhr
Mike Liut

vs.

Toronto Maple Leafs

coach Al Arbour

Jari Kurri - Wayne Gretzky (C) - Esa Tikkanen
Rick Vaive - Bobby Smith - Steve Shutt
Bob Nystrom - Butch Goring (A) - Mats Naslund
Andy Hebenton - Brian Skrudland - Harold Cotton
Lorne Carr, Steve Thomas

Butch Bouchard (A) - Harry Cameron
Bob Goldham - Bobby Baun
Ron Greschner - Graham Drinkwater
Tomas Kaberle

Vladislav Tretiak
Kelly Hrudey

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Coach Al Arbour Coach
Team Captain Wayne Gretzky
Assistant Captain Butch Bouchard
Assistant Captain Butch Goring
Assistant Captain Bobby Baun

Team Roster

Jari Kurri -#99 Wayne Gretzky-Steve Shutt
Rick Vaive -Bobby Smith, --Mats Naslund
Bob Nystrom -Butch Goring - Esa Tikkanen
Andy Hebenton-Brian Skrudland-Harold Cotton
Lorne Carr, RW Steve Thomas, RW/LW

Butch Bouchard-- Harry Cameron
Bob Goldham --Ron Greschner
Bobby Baun-- Graham Drinkwater
Tomas Kaberle

Vladislav Tretiak
Kelly Hrudey

PP Unit 1
Jari Kurri -#99 Wayne Gretzky-Mats Naslund
Ron Greschner -Harry Cameron

PP Unit 2
Rick Vaive -Bobby Smith, -Steve Shutt
Graham Drinkwater -Bobby Baun

PK Unit 1
Andy Hebenton-Brian Skrudland
Butch Bouchard-- Harry Cameron

PK Unit 2
Jari Kurri -#99 Wayne Gretzky
Bob Goldham -Bobby Baun

Last edited:

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Good luck LL. Matchups against you are always fun.

A couple quick points:

-Obviously, the key matchup here will be Gretzky vs. Harvey. If you're facing the Great One, I don't know if there is any player that I'd rather have on the ice against him than Harvey. I'm not saying either of them will neutralize each other, but it'll definitely be a battle.

-The biggest mis-match in this series is on defense. It's what happens when three of a teams first four picks are defensemen. Ironically, I'm pretty sure LL had a similar strategy when he loaded up on like 5 of his 6 picks as D a couple drafts back IIRC.

-The second line will also be a problem for TML. Smith and Vaive are two of my guys, and I've had them both on 2nd lines before. Opposite to that, Sundin and LL may be familiar with each other. However, the former two are bottom of the barrel type compliments on a top-6 scoring line, while Sundin is legitimate there. Steve Shutt does not offset this weakness.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
bobby smith did finish top 10 in points once in his career and he also was almost a point a game player for his career He is a big player who was a better passer then goal scorer He does have over a 1000 career points and is in the top 64th all time for points for a career! Def 2nd line material

Rick VaiVe scored every 2nd game for an almost 900 nhl career games so to me thats 2nd line out put as well and over a 4 yr period no one scored more goals in the nhl then ricky vaive cept for 2 men named Gretzky and Bossy

One of my teams stregths will be from its playoff performers beyond the very well know legends of Gretzky Jarri Kurri Steve Shut Mats Naslund you have Esa Tikkanen, Butch Goring, Bob Nystrom ,Harry Cameron and the legendary Bobby Baun.

These men have 35 Stanley Cups between them

Ilya Kovalchuk is known to be a temperamental player who is hard to deal with. Also mats sundin isn't going to be happy camper being on the 2nd line.He normally plays center and forsberg moves to the wing when they are on the same team

Most of us have seen Tretiak play against the worlds best and stop them all winning the Canada Cup in 1981.His GAA is under 2 a game

bobby smith did finish top 10 in points once in his career and he also was almost a point a game player for his career He is a big player who was a better passer then goal scorer He does have over a 1000 career points and is in the top 64th all time for points for a career! Def 2nd line material

Rick VaiVe scored every 2nd game for an almost 900 nhl career games so to me thats 2nd line out put as well and over a 4 yr period no one scored more goals in the nhl then ricky vaive cept for 2 men named Gretzky and Bossy

One of my teams stregths will be from its playoff performers beyond the very well know legends of Gretzky Jarri Kurri Steve Shut Mats Naslund you have Esa Tikkanen, Butch Goring, Bob Nystrom ,Harry Cameron and the legendary Bobby Baun.

These men have 35 Stanley Cups between them

One thing we got going for us is that we got 2 excellent top end 2 way lines a great top end scoring lien and a shut down defensive line for my forth line.

Ilya Kovalchuk is knonw to be a temperamental player who is hard to deal with. Also mats sundin isn't going to be happy camper being on the 2nd line.He normally plays center and forsberg moves to the wing when they are on the same team

Most of us have seen Tretiak play against the worlds best and stop them all winning the Canada Cup in 1981.His GAA is under 2 a game

If Tretiak goes down I have no problem putting in the goalie who has the record for the most saves in a playoff game with 73!!

Where as Grant Fuhr GAA was well over 3 for his career agiants lesser top end talent

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Tidewater will obviously try to get their top pairing of Harvey-Goodfellow out there against Gretzky at all times. I don't think there's a better pair in the ATD at limiting the damage Gretzky will cause (and really limiting the damage is all you can hope for).

What I want to know is the following:

Which forward line is Tidewater planning on matching against the Great One? As far as I can tell, Tidewater does not have a traditional checking line.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada

They're low end second liners. There is a relativity of points, so 80's numbers are not as meaningful as production from other eras.

Also mats sundin isn't going to be happy camper being on the 2nd line.He normally plays center and forsberg moves to the wing when they are on the same team
I think obviously in this context he'd accept a 2nd line role.

Where as Grant Fuhr GAA was well over 3 for his career agiants lesser top end talent

Difficult to compare international and Soviet League GAA with 80's NHL GAA; it really tells nothing.

One thing we got going for us is that we got 2 excellent top end 2 way lines a great top end scoring lien and a shut down defensive line for my forth line.
Your top line suffers greatly from having Tikkanen on it as he nowhere near a top-6 forward in the ATD. It makes it easier for our defence to key in on Gretzky and Kurri.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
They're low end second liners. There is a relativity of points, so 80's numbers are not as meaningful as later production.

I think obviously in this context he'd accept a 2nd line role.

Difficult to compare international and Soviet League GAA with 80's NHL GAA; it really tells nothing.

Your top line suffers greatly from having Tikkanen on it as he nowhere near a top-6 forward in the ATD. It makes it easier for our defence to key in on Gretzky and Kurri.

I've never seen so much stuff addressed in so few words. :thumbu:

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
no top line with kurri and gretzky suffers Tikannen is there cause he is a pest and agitator

That said can his team get over the turmoil created by a unhappy kovalchuk and mats sundin and i cannot see there egos being tempered by the old school coach and captain

Where as coaching and a professional environment of winning are hallmarks on my team!

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
no top line with kurri and gretzky suffers Tikannen is there cause he is a pest and agitator

That said can his team get over the turmoil created by a unhappy kovalchuk and mats sundin and i cannot see there egos being tempered by the old school coach and captain

Where as coaching and a professional environment of winning are hallmarks on my team!

Since when does Sundin have a problem being coached?

Your team has a lot of professionals and a lot of winners. But also, Harry Cameron is possibly the biggest flake of all-time and Rick Vaive has no idea what it means to win.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Since when does Sundin have a problem being coached?

Your team has a lot of professionals and a lot of winners. But also, Harry Cameron is possibly the biggest flake of all-time and Rick Vaive has no idea what it means to win.

he doesn't like to take a lesser role thus why he was tossed out of Toronto where he was a institution and when he went to Vancouver he was less then his usual self He played like a man 10 yrs older not one yr older

any player from the 1980's team would not know what it was like to win but he knew how to score that is all that matters! Three straight 50 goal seasons baby!

Maybe Vaive can pick it up through osmosis sitting near gretzky kurri goring etc etc

Cameron fisnish top 10 in scoring many tiems so if he gets out of line he will get in toe when pur Captain gets ahold of him!! Butch Bouchard is one of the greatest respectible hockey captians of all time

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
he doesn't like to take a lesser role thus why he was tossed out of Toronto where he was a institution and when he went to Vancouver he was less then his usual self He played like a man 10 yrs older not one yr older

???

Who else in Toronto would have pushed Sundin to a "lesser role"?

If he had stayed, he'd have been the man there, just like he always was.

Letting Sundin go was simply a case of mutually cutting ties and finally going in a different direction.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
???

Who else in Toronto would have pushed Sundin to a "lesser role"?

If he had stayed, he'd have been the man there, just like he always was.

Letting Sundin go was simply a case of mutually cutting ties and finally going in a different direction.

the leafs cutting ties with sundin surely wasnt what they had hoped for i bet yah we would had got more points with him in the lineup then that team cancer kessel

he would sulk to get his way he showed that in his career but most of the sulking and team disruption will come from kovalchuk and i'm sure you will agree with me on this point

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Sundin was tremendous in accepting a reduced role in Vancouver. Wonderful leader, but taking 6 months off at his age was probably a poor decision.

any player from the 1980's team would not know what it was like to win but he knew how to score that is all that matters! Three straight 50 goal seasons baby!
Kovalchuk is probably as accomplished as Vaive offensively and is no more of a problem player than Vaive.

Maybe Vaive can pick it up through osmosis sitting near gretzky kurri goring etc etc
The ATD level is too late for guys to learn new things. Plus that argument would apply equally to anyone you question on my roster.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Kovalchuk actually has a pretty bad temper and is known for taking the occasional bad penalty. If Tikkanen could line up against him, it could be a problem. Too bad for Toronto that Tikkanen is a LW and will be lining up against the RWs of Tidewater. I'm not sure if any of Tidewater's RWs are known for being easy to agitate.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
he would sulk to get his way he showed that in his career but most of the sulking and team disruption will come from kovalchuk and i'm sure you will agree with me on this point

I honestly can't think of either Sundin or Kovalchuk "sulking". Atlanta was just a bad team. Kovalchuk may be a tad one-dimensional, but it seems to me that his supposed "bad temper" in a Canadian may be perceived as a "passion to win"

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
rick vaive was never a problem He was the face of the team in the 1980's playing under the helkter skelter reign of ballard. I have personaly meet him many time in my life as his sister lives up the rd from me.

the team wont loose cause one player never won they will win because so many other players have won before!Over 35 cups baby!

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
rick vaive was never a problem He was the face of the team in the 1980's playing under the helkter skelter reign of ballard. I have personaly meet him many time in my life as his sister lives up the rd from me.
Vancouver didn't trade him because of his on-ice performance (although in fairness, he was really young)

the team wont loose cause one player never won they will win because so many other players have won before!Over 35 cups baby!
Same on our team.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I honestly can't think of either Sundin or Kovalchuk "sulking". Atlanta was just a bad team. Kovalchuk may be a tad one-dimensional, but it seems to me that his supposed "bad temper" in a Canadian may be perceived as a "passion to win"

Yeah, I don't see Kovalchuk as a sulker at all. If he takes the occasional bad penalty, it's from trying too hard or getting too worked up. Not a sulker.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
the leafs cutting ties with sundin surely wasnt what they had hoped for i bet yah we would had got more points with him in the lineup then that team cancer kessel

Sundin wasn't a sulker. I thought if there was one team you'd have an intimate knowledge of, it would be Toronto.

I don't agree on Kovalchuk either. He was never called a pouter or a poor teammate or a dressing room cancer. He'd slam his stick when a pass wasn't perfect and he'd take dumbass penalties, and he is NOT a player they should have made captain. But there are much worse attitudes out there.

Kovalchuk actually has a pretty bad temper and is known for taking the occasional bad penalty. .

Case in point, this series. (don't tell me today's score!)

I agree. In the last couple of years his frustration at losing was obvious to all.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
they actually need every vote that they can get to have a shot at winning

My team has gretzky kurri tretiak cameron and bouchard

plus great playoff performers in tikkanen baun shut goring and nystrum

a shut down line and defensive line

The opposing team can't match my top line of gretzky kurri and tikkanen

A lil advice go to any of my other match ups in the past and you will see seventieslord running a muck ignoring valid points as he has tonight....he lies to insert his nose into my threads for some personal glory i guess

He even argued once that no one could stop a line that consists of kurri n gretzky but tonight since they are on my team he doesn't say that:)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad