ATD2010 Bob Cole Semi-Final: Battle Creek Battalion (3) vs. New Haven Nighthawks (5)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Bob Cole Division Semi-Final Round:

Battle Creek Battalion

coaches Frank Boucher, Roger Neilson

Bobby Hull - Joe Primeau - Cecil Dillon
Bun Cook - Milan Novy - Andy Bathgate
Louis Berlinguette - Derek Sanderson - Ron Ellis
Kirk Muller (A) - Neal Broten - Bengt-Ã…ke Gustafsson
Jack Findlay

Scott Stevens (C) - Eddie Gerard
Eric Desjardins - Jim Schoenfeld (A)
Rob Ramage - Jerry Korab
Ron Stackhouse

Jiri Holecek
Victor Konovalenko

vs.

New Haven Nighthawks

coach Anatoli Tarasov

Alex Ovechkin - Vladimir Petrov - Punch Broadbent
Valeri Kamensky - Joe Nieuwendyk (A) - Steve Larmer
Tony Leswick - Craig MacTavish - Ed Westfall (A)
Ab McDonald - Edgar Laprade - Jamie Langenbrunner

Larry Robinson - Hap Day (C)
Eduard Ivanov - Earl Seibert
Ulf Samuelsson - James Patrick

Turk Broda
J-S Giguere

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Battle Creek Battalion

PP1: Hull - Primeau - Muller - Gerard - Bathgate
PP2: Cook - Novy - Dillon - Desjardins - Ramage

PK1: Sanderson - Ellis - Stevens - Gerard
PK2: Broten - Berlinguette - Desjardins - Schoenfeld

vs.

New Haven Nighthawks

PP1: Petrov - Broadbent - Ovechkin - Day - Robinson
PP2: Kamensky - Nieuwendyk - Larmer - Ivanov - Patrick

PK1: MacTavish - Westfall - Robinson - Seibert
PK2: Leswick - Laprade - Samuelsson - Day

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
With Hull and Bathgate on different lines, I'm sure New Haven is happy to have Robinson and Seibert on different pairs.

I'm interested to know how New Haven plans on using their excellent checking line.

On the other hand, I think it's pretty obvious which line will get the attention of Battle Creek's best checkers.

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
Well, I was holding off on posting - I usually like to let my opponent start the debate. However, since I don't know if Nighthawks will show up, I'll begin.

First, TDMM is quite right - having Robinson and Seibert split up is likely an ideal strategy for New Haven, but I believe that my team can power through that.

As TDMM also mentioned - New Haven has one checking line (that's rather strong) that needs to cover two very strong offensive lines. Clearly, New Haven's third line can't be out there all the time. The likely scenario will be that New Haven will have their checking line, and the Robinson-Day pairing out against Bobby Hull.

However, as we know, this leave the Cook - Novy - Bathgate line open. Seibert will be out there against them, I'm sure, but who else? Nobody else on the New Haven roster, aside from the 3rd line who's already occupied, strikes me as someone who can hold off a guy like Andy Bathgate.

Also, even with New Haven's 3rd line out, and a strong defender in Robinson, I think we can already chalk down Bobby Hull for a significant offensive contribution in this series - he is a guy who can create offense all on his own. New Haven doesn't have the luxury of having a player like that.

Speaking of New Haven's first line, I don't know if I'd call any of the players they have there as "top end" players for their respective roles. Petrov, as I hear, was rather good, but I suppose it's difficult to evaluate how he will do in this setting. We can assume he'll be alright, but I don't think we can simply transfer his 5 USSR scoring titles into 5 Art Ross trophies. If we could, then we can do the same for Milan Novy's 3 Czech league titles. Punch Broadbent is a strong power forward, and I don't know if his primary role on Line 1 is to bring offense. His playoffs record is rather poor, as it's under 0.50 PPG if I remember correctly.

Which brings me to Mr. Ovechkin. This matchup intrigues me highly. I think Ovechkin's the type of player that Scott Stevens will enjoy playing against. I think Stevens is going to hit Ovechkin, or at least he'll try - why can he try? Because he has Eddie Gerard back there to help him out if he's put out of position. Ovechkin probably isn't used to be hit hard, as he's simply very strong, but Stevens is the type of guy who I believe can stop Ovechkin in his tracks.

I want my 3rd line out against his 1st line, and my 1st pairing. I'm comfortable with this because, frankly, I believe that my other defensemen are capable enough to handle New Haven's other forwards, such as their 2nd line. My checkers shouldn't have too much of a difficult time managing New Haven's top line.

Now, where does New Haven have an advantage? In goal, and behind the bench. The difference between Jiri Holecek and Turk Broda is much less significant than the one between Holecek and my last competitor, Clint Benedict. I'd say Broda and Holecek are pretty close - Broda being somewhere between 12-15, and Holecek being 16-20.

I commend New Haven for picking Tarasov, who I am a fan of. There's one guy (and I feel like this has been discussed previously) who I don't see mixing well with Tarasov, and that's Ovechkin. From what I read on Tarasov, Ovechkin doesn't strike me as a player that Mr. Tarasov would like. Now, you may say it's just one player, but he's a rather important player on your team. When one of your team's stars has issues with the coach, it is a problem.

New Haven's coaching is likely stronger, but I have full confidence in the Boucher/Neilson tandem, and I believe my team is good enough, and full of enough leadership to be able to warrant a lower quality of coaching.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
The difference between Jiri Holecek and Turk Broda is much less significant than the one between Holecek and my last competitor, Clint Benedict. I'd say Broda and Holecek are pretty close - Broda being somewhere between 12-15, and Holecek being 16-20.

Hold on a second here. Do we consider Benedict much better than Broda in the playoffs? Broda is a legendary playoff goalie afterall, and has one of the largest rises between regular season and playoffs of ATD goalies, to my knowledge.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Hold on a second here. Do we consider Benedict much better than Broda in the playoffs? Broda is a legendary playoff goalie afterall, and has one of the largest rises between regular season and playoffs of ATD goalies, to my knowledge.

I missed this earlier and should have answered. I obviously am a big Benedict fan. He's got an awesome playoff resume too. Some people rate Broda ahead overall; I personally can't see how. But in the playoffs the gap is pretty thin.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I wonder if anyone is waiting to see what happens tonight before they judge Ovechkin's clutch reputation. I sort of am. He's getting a reputation as a good performer so far as he's put up good numbers, but he's been invisible in three of the four most important single games of his career:

2005 WJC Gold Medal Game
2009 Game 7 vs. Pens
2010 Olympics Quarters vs. Canada

He was good in the Caps' game 7 defeat by the Flyers in 2008 though.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I wonder if anyone is waiting to see what happens tonight before they judge Ovechkin's clutch reputation. I sort of am. He's getting a reputation as a good performer so far as he's put up good numbers, but he's been invisible in three of the four most important single games of his career:

2005 WJC Gold Medal Game
2009 Game 7 vs. Pens
2010 Olympics Quarters vs. Canada

He was good in the Caps' game 7 defeat by the Flyers in 2008 though.

Make it 2 of 3. Nobody outside of Canada cares about the WJC :)

But yes, I agree with you. The Olympics definitely reminded me of Game 7 vs. the Pens and was pretty concerning. Ovechkin has been excellent in the playoffs in non-elimination games but did disappear in those two completely. We'll see tonight.

Chig has two reasons to root against Alex tonight! :laugh:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I still count the 2005 WJC. Based on what we know about the players 5 years later, Ovechkin should have been the best player on the ice, and he wasn't close.

He needs a big elimination game tonight, win or lose.

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
Chig has two reasons to root against Alex tonight! :laugh:

Indeed - quite the coincidence :D

But let's be reality - one game may change people's opinions of Ovechkin in an ATD context, but I don't think it will turn a Battle Creek series win into a New Haven one (and I'm not implying that I think I have this in the bag, BTW)

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
ATD 2010 divisional semi-final result:

Battlecreek Battalion DEFEAT the New haven Nighthawks in 5 games.

The three stars of the series:

1. Bobby Hull, Battalion
2. Turk Broda, Nighthawks
3. Andy Bathgate, Battalion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad