ATD10-ML Sir Montagu Allan Final: #1 Regina Capitals vs. #3 Melville Millionaires

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Dennis Hextall was never in a situation where he had a chance to prove himself in the playoffs. His playoff record is one of those that would best be termed as "incomplete." During the three-year run when he went for at least 52 assists and 138 PIMs each year (you can throw in a 44-assist, 164 PIM season if you want), he played in six playoff games. You can't get a good evaluation of a guy based on six playoff games. (I know some of the stats freaks would like to, but they don't have a clue). But if you want to talk about the perfect LW to work with Larouche in the MLD, that would be Dennis Hextall, because he brings the playmaking ability and the grit that Larouche needs to succeed.

Incomplete = not complete.

No one is going to assume Hextall could have, or would have performed better in the playoffs. Part of it is getting your team there - he wasn't able to do that with much regularity. And part of it is at least pulling your weight and putting up some decent numbers... you know, assert yourself. I see no evidence that Hextall did that, so why should we assume he will now?

He's an OK playmaker, yes. But let's not talk about 44 and 52 assist seasons in the 1970's like they are anything that special. He was 3rd in the NHL the year he got 62. And that was the only time he was top-10 in the NHL in assists.

And last I heard, taking penalties was a bad thing. Hextall had 114 fights but then he had 828 PIMs from other infractions. You malign "stats freaks" and then proceed to use a stat (PIM) to attempt to quantify how tough or gritty Hextall is... it doesn't fly.

He is the right "type" of player to put next to Larouche. But his playoff inexperience will kill that line.

You're right that Crowder's playoff resume isn't sterling, but Crowder's in the complimentary role. And it's a role that suits him fine. He's excellent defensively, he's tough, he's physical, he's a force in the corners, and he can score goals, finish off chances, and pick up the garbage goals that Hextall and Larouche create with their skill. There are very few players who credibly fit the bill of a power forward in an MLD that follows a 28-team ATD. Crowder is one of the few. The days of Morrow and Doan slipping to the MLD are over.

So Regina can't have a two-time cup winner with excellent playoff numbers on their 2nd line in a complementary role, but Crowder, with 0.42 PPG in the 1980's playoffs can thrive as a support player on Melville's second line? Bizarre.

He is an OK goal-scorer in the regular season, but that's it. He's not even as good a goalscorer as Hextall is a playmaker. No question he's tough and physical. Defensively? Try again. if Crowder was any good defensively then the Bruins would have relied on him for some penalty killing. He had 4 PP goals scored against him in his career.

And I think the playoff record for scorers isn't as much as an issue. That's why I don't make it a big part of my arguments. Unless someone has a sterling playoff record, like Brad Richards or Steve Payne. If a guy has that great playoff record, that's great. But if he doesn't, I don't make an issue of it like the ATD.

I wouldn't make an issue of it either if I were you.

Fact is, the Greens, the Regehrs, the Lefebvres, those are the elite shutdown players now. And the same guys that had the problems against ATD shutdown defensemen in the playoffs will have problems here. If it gets easier for some, it gets easier for all. The MLD isn't some equalizer where the good playoff performers will continue to be good while all the bad ones get better because Lefebvre and Regehr aren't Watson and Foote.

I don't think you've give Amonte or Haynes the right linemates.

You'll have to spell out for us how an elite (at this level) goalscorer who isn't much of a playmaker and an elite (at this level) playmaker who isn't much of a goalscorer, aren't good linemates. And both are fast enough to keep up with eachother, which is a big bonus. You make it sound like this is some kind of shrimp line - Amonte is 6'0", 200 lbs and Haynes, at 5'10", 160, was only slightly below average for the 1930's.

Markov is a very, very good all-round defenceman. I thought he should have been a second-team all-star last year, but you also couldn't argue with Brian Campbell's selection, since Campbell had such a huge impact on San Jose in the final six weeks. But Markov fits in well with Jovanovski - a steady, smart, well-rounded defenceman who can also move the puck and effectively quarterback a power play. His defensive game is really underrated.

Hey, I hear ya. Nothing against Markov here. But he's not the guy to cover for Jovo's gaffes. He's no Regehr.

Wensink, with what he brings to the table, has no trouble justifying his place in the line-up. He's not just a toughie. And he's not going to be in the headlines for a clash with Melville RCMP after a DUI. He's not going to try to sneak "Columbian bam bam" across the border at North Portal or Regway. (The two busiest Canada-U.S. border crossing in Saskatchewan). He's a good guy (something that can't be said about Probert), he's a good locker room guy, he's tough as nails, and he's actually pretty good defensively.

...and he's nowhere near the player Probert is. Just like 500 other tough players who were "good guys" and scored a few goals once or twice.

Explain to me how Wensink, who is "pretty good defensively" was on the ice for just one PP goal against in his entire career.

Our coaching is better. Partly because it does help to have the extra set of eyes. Partly because it's the perfect tandem. Johnson is the player's coach - the guy who knows how to handle the players, who knows what to say to them and when to say it to them, and just has the great mind for the game. The perfect coach for guys like Pierre Larouche and Ziggy Palffy, but also a guy who'll get respect from the Richard's, Owen, Crowder, Smyth, Jovo, Lefebvre and Gee. Dwight McMillan - as anyone who knows anything about Saskatchewan hockey will tell you - is a master strategist, a guy who can pick the game apart and create the perfect game plan. He can be tough and demanding. But he'll turn a guy like Larouche loose, too. And for the stats freaks out there: at this time next year, Dwight will be the winningest coach in hockey. Anywhere.

Well, not that it's not impressive, but you should be paying attention enough to know that stats freaks don't really care for career totals.

I'm sorry I don't "know anything about Saskatchewan hockey" - if I were fortunate enough to be able to make my living writing about hockey I am sure I would know more. As it is, like 99.99% of people, I have a day job that consumes half my working hours and unfortunately I don't have time to study everything. The history of hockey vs. the modern-day SJHL isn't really a tough choice when determining how to spend my free time.

I'm not convinced your tandem is going to be an advantage over Gerard. Where are the quotes to prove what kind of coach Johnson is, or is it just because you say so? Even if you can back that stuff up, Johnson is highly unproven. Not even three full seasons in the NHL? It's like drafting Shane O'Brien for your MLD blueline and claiming he's big, tough, aggressive, and he'll make life hell for my forwards. He's big, tough, and aggressive, but you need a track record too. Johnson doesn't have that - he won one cup with Bobby Orr in his corner. Not exactly a world beater. McMillan has the track record - he's done wonderfully in the SJHL, but the bad news side of that is, well, it's the SJHL, a junior B league. What evidence do you have that he can coach top-level pro players? It's not the same as coaching kids.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Gerard is not telling the media anything, but may be considering shuffling some LWs. Melville would have you believe Regina's chemistry will suffer. This team went through a full regular season together, and naturally different line combinations were tried along the way, due to injuries or possible slumps. Let's be clear: Regina won game 5 of their first round series at home, and according to a usual playoff schedule, would have 5-6 days off to practice with any new combinations. Melville is coming into our building just two days after closing out a grueling seven game tilt with a win in Peterborough. Gerard has spent the off-time keeping his team on their game and well-conditioned, just as he did in his first season with the Maroons when he won the cup:
Coach Eddie Gerard had been working his team hard, holding tough, regimented practices twice a day. Whereas Cecil Hart's Canadiens began the season still trying to get into shape, Gerard's boys were ready to go right from the start.
The speed and conditioning of our second line are really going to kill any line they line up against. We'll be up early and will not let up, just like Gerard's boys didn't let up on Victoria in 1926:
As the game wound down with the Maroons still leading 1-0, it became apparent, to the credit of coach Gerard, that the Montrealers were the more disciplined and better-conditioned group of athletes.
...and that's all before you consider the awesome potential that exists on the 1st line. Nilsson won't be able to stop himself from scoring, with Payne and Babich throwing the body and digging pucks out of the corners for him. Jovanovski-Markov is a pairing that will be feasted on by both of these units at all opportunities. It's puzzling how Regehr is such a bad option to place with a defensive liability like Brown, but on the other blueline putting Markov, a pretty solid player who is not in Regehr's league defensively, with Jovanovski, a player who has mostly been a liability with and without the puck to the same extent as Brown, is supposed to work. Jovanovski-Markov is a recipe for extremely erratic play against the speed of our second line and the forechecks our first and fourth lines can throw at them. Look out!

The biggest concern in the Melville camp has to be the playoff histories of many of their players. Their GM has said 100 times how much value he places on playoff performance, so it's puzzling to hear him say that Melville will defeat a Regina squad that features Steve Payne, Goldie Prodger, Slava Kozlov, Jimmy Peters, and Alf Skinner, among others.

Melville’s Ziggy Palffy, Keith Crowder, Dennis Hextall, John Wensink, Garry Galley, and Andrei Markov are all major playoff question marks. Five of those players' primary functions are as offensive players, and yet they all experience precipitous drops in their points per game averages when the playoffs hit. Palffy drops 24%, Wensink drops 34%, Galley falls by 35%, Markov drops 40%, Crowder plummets 44%, and Hextall freefalls by 74%. GBC likes to call the playoff records of players like Palffy and Hextall "incomplete". It's true that it's not just their fault their teams didn't advance more often, but that's no excuse for not at least pulling your weight and scoring at a level somewhat close to what your team has come to expect from you in the regular season. And this is half of their top-6 forwards we're talking about!

The other half of Melville's top-six are all adequate or better. Larouche, a poor-man's Nilsson, sees a drop in hisplayoff numbers but one that is respectable and acceptable. Ditto Ryan Smyth, who also brings a lot more to the table than just goals. That leaves Brad Richards, the team's lone playoff hero. (and make no mistake, he is definitely a playoff hero) It is a good thing for Melville that he's very durable, because if he were to go down, it's lights out, and even with him, the forward corps' ability to put up points is highly suspect. Remember, "incomplete" means "not complete". You can’t put together a bunch of incomplete records and expect them to suddenly be complete playoff producers.

Mike Richards has performed well in his one real playoff, but it's just one real playoff. Niedermayer, Brown, and Gee are all solid and responsible players with tons of postseason experience and have shown they can score at a reasonable level in the postseason, but of course they're getting fourth line minutes and won't be counted on for offense. That's good, because if Probert, according to GBC, with 0.41 career regular season points per game and 0.59 career playoff points per game "ruins" a 4th line's offensive potential, imagine what John Wensink (0.34, 0.19) and Jay Pandolfo (0.28, 0.26) do to their lines' offensive capabilities. Pandolfo, Brown, Niedermayer, and Gee are all solid players who I have a great deal of respect for, and GBC would be the first to tell you they were not drafted for offense. They will all perform well in their roles (although I see no reason to believe they'll perform these roles better than Skrudland, Rolston, Peters, Apps, and Skinner to make a difference in the series) I'm just saying, don't expect these lines to pitch in any offense at all.

If the bottom two lines can't score and the first two lines have some serious playoff question marks, then there really isn't anyplace left for offense to come from. Melville had better hope they are the beneficiaries of a large number of odd-man rushes, courtesy of Jeff Brown. They should also hope to spend a lot of time on the PP, but I don't see a Regina player who is going to be responsible for giving them many opportunities. Probert piles up PIMs, but he takes someone to the box with him when he goes.

Which brings us to Wensink - a poor-man's Probert, minus the size and longevity and playoff scoring - I'm not sure he's MLD material at all. Yes, he scored 28 goals one season – but that was 40% of the goals he scored in his entire career. No doubt he was popular with the fans, stuck up for his teammates, and could chuck the fists. Sounds like about 500 other players I can think of, and a decent number of them who are still undrafted, could play better hockey than him. You can say he was good defensively too and hope we buy it, but the guy had all of one PP goal scored against him his entire career. If he was any good defensively his team would have had him killing some penalties. His sole use is to fight Probert. And if we drop probert from the lineup, then what's Wensink doing out there?

Back to playoff production - In Regina's top six, only Amonte's playoff numbers see a drop similar to what the above six have seen (27%) . Nilsson, like Larouche, sees a drop but is left with great stats anyway.. Kozlov has been top-12 in playoff scoring three times, and Payne has had one playoff every bit as impressive as Richards has, (plus a couple more very good ones), only difference being he didn't win the Cup and Smythe for his efforts. Babich starred in many international tournaments and did all the dirty work that allowed Bobrov to play the way he did (this will be very beneficial to the soft and one-dimensional Nilsson). Haynes placed high on the leaderboards in playoff assists and points twice in the 1930's, when playoff scoring dropped by an average of 20% each season. Our top offensive defenseman, Brown, has playoff numbers just 4% lower than his regular season numbers, and Prodger scored some big goals in cup finals matches, including a cup winner on an end-to-end rush.

Even in the bottom-six, there is the potential for clutch play. Probert, the supposed "fourth line ruiner", stepped up his play considerably in the playoffs, scoring 44% more often than he did in the regular season, and carried Detroit in Yzerman's absence in 1988. Skinner went to five finals in seven years and led his team in goals twice, earning a retro Smythe (a legitimate retro award, given after extensive research) in 1918 for outperforming the likes of Cyclone Taylor and Frank Nighbor. He nearly willed Vancouver to a second cup too. He scored as often in the playoffs as he did in the regular schedule, and in the post-challenge, pre-consolidation era (1913-1926), that was tough to pull off.

There aren't question marks here - this team WILL produce in the playoffs. I can't say that about Melville with any certainty. All the strategy in the world isn’t going to suddenly cause players who don’t produce in the playoffs, to produce in the playoffs, and a bit of muscle from a couple of playoff underachieving second liners won't make a lick of difference in the end.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Game 1: Captain oh my Captain

It was a slow moving series opener as both teams seemed content to play dump and chase hockey through the first sixty minutes, registering just four shots each and no score in the penalty-free period. The best chance early on was a slapper off the post by Millionaire Brad Richards on a beautiful feed by Lefebvre in the open circle to Capital Kiprusoff's left side.

Millionaire Palffy scored unassisted 4:22 into the second on an intercepted pass from Brown intended for Regehr. Ziggy broke in on the right and backhanded the puck between Kipper's legs in a highlight move of speed and movement, faking the netminder out with a forehand flick of his stick before cutting left for the shoveling in of the first goal. The home team pressed hard for the equalizer, outshooting the boys from Melville 16-7 in the middle frame, unable to get anything past McLean until the last shot in the dying seconds on a Capitals powerplay, by Payne from Babich and Nilsson.

The third period was all Regina's as Captain Kirk faced 18 and turned away all but one of them, by Rolston from Skrudland and Prodger with 3:24 remaining. The Millionaires pulled the goalie for an extra attacker and Owen appeared to have tied it up on a point shot but the refs waved it off and charged Smyth with goalie interference. Svehla added an empty netter and the match ended 3-1 to the cheers of the capacity crowd in Regina.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Game 2: A Defensive Affair

This contest began much like the first and changed little throughout. Both teams failed to pass the blueline with possession and the best chances in the scoreless regulation were on special teams. Millionaires alternate captain Mike Richards broke in on a shorthanded breakaway midway through the second and Kiprusoff came out and gloved the shot, one of only 22 he faced this evening. Prodger and Svehla were all over the defensive zone and Regehr received a standing ovation after an open ice hit on Larouche. The only Melville player with more than two shots on net was its first line center Brad Richards with four. Overtime began late because of problems with the zamboni and it ended early as Babich buried a Nilsson pass a mere 16 seconds in to make it a 1-0 decision and put the Capitals up by two games as the series switches to Melville.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Game 3: Thanks a Million

It's amazing what a change of venue can do to a series. This game was all Melville from the outset as captain Owen began his hat trick night with a surge past Buller and a trickled shot between Kiprusoff and the post. Capitals Hy Buller lost his cool after being hit by Doug Brown and on the ensuing powerplay the Millionaires captain added his second of the night from Brad Richards. The home team then went up by a third goal when Capitals Probert dropped his gloves to fight Brown, Smyth tipping in a Larouche pass. Owen added an empty netter with 3:17 remaining and the Millionaires win 4-0 to narrow the series gap to 2-1 for the visiting Capitals with game four tomorrow.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Playoff question marks or not, I knew there was no way we'd be going up 3-0 on these guys. Good series so far. Hope to see the final result next time I sign on. I'm in the Chicago train station now; in about 20 hours I'll be in Washington, home of the real Capitals. Hope that's some sort of a sign :)

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Game 4: Mistakes On the Fly

Home ice advantage was apparent from the opening face-off when Melville elected to put the Gee line out against the Nilsson line of the Capitals and it paid off in a turnover and shot on net which beat Kiprusoff just below his blocker at 0:14 of the first. Gee slapped it in from Niedermayer after Payne mishandled the pass from Nilsson who'd cleanly won the face-off. Play settled down after that, though it was clear the Capitals were having trouble getting its Skrudland line up against the top Millionaires line as Melville coach Johnson had the hometown boys taking short shifts if need be. Larouche and Palffy registered three shots each on a barrage of shots which only a focused Kipper and overshifted Wesley-Prodger kept from going in. the period ended 1-0 and it wasn't soon enough for the visitors.

In the second Probert fought Crowder and later Probert got ejected for pushing Markov into Mclean. The home team then went up 2-0 with the man advantage on a Owen point shot which was deflected in by Smyth. The Capitals got that one back when Haynes easily shook off Larouche and broke in for a thirty footer past Jovanovski and Mclean to end the period 2-1.

The third period was a seesaw affair that had the crowd thinking they would tie the series up heading back to Regina for game 5, then the next moment gasp collectively as the Capitals pressed to try and take a stranglehold on the series. Syl Apps Jr. hit the post, Owen the crossbar and Hextall missed an open net. The deciding moment came at 15:09 when Jovanovski went to pass up to a streaking Larouche on transition and the pass was intercepted by Rolston who blew past a scrambling Markov and buried his own rebound off Mclean to tie it up 2-2. A Millionaire penalty for too many men then led to a powerplay marker by Amonte at 17:29 and an empty netter by Svehla sealed it 4-2 for the visitors to the shock of the crowd and the Millionaires bench.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Game 5: No Contest

The Millionaires top line and second line pivot Larouche were all over the ice this night, chased by the Capitals top defensive pairing and Skrudland line effective for the most part in containing them but it was the netminding by Kiprusoff which frustrated the visitors the most. Brad Richards did put the boys from Melville on the board at 13:02 of the second on the powerplay from Owen and Lefebvre. It was the only goal of the game going into the third.

The Capitals tied it all up on a simple rush by Apps Jr. and Skinner. The center put the puck on net and it rebounded to the winger who flicked a shot between Galley's legs which Mclean didn't see until it passed the line under his right skate. Millionaires coach Johnson chewed out Larouche for not backchecking on the play and both Probert and Crowder dropped their gloves after the goal and fought again. On the ensuing 4-on-4 the home town raised the roof when Jimmy Peters registered his first point of the series on a goal from Prodger and Wesley to make it a 2-1 game with 7:38 remaining. The Millionaires pressed after that but like game one of the series had trouble gaining the blueline on the line matching and top pairing defensive work, most notably of Prodger, who played over 30 minutes tonight. An empty netter by Kozlov sealed the fate as the game and the series ended 3-1 in Regina to a tickertape parade.

The three stars of the series: 1. Owen 2. Kiprusoff 3. Prodger.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
:amazed:

WOW!

I always expect to win (yes, even when I was new and my teams weren't very good!) but I never, ever expect to win in 5. And especially not against a GBC/raleh team.

Good work, guys, you put together a fine roster and it is an honour to come out on top.

Looking forward to the finals. hopefully my young co-GM is more available than I am, or at least more available than pitseleh was for his series.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
GBC, I've done it. I've beat you. Finally. But I sure as hell didn't expect it to be like this. I would've bet anything this series went 7, probably into triple OT or something.

Congrats to raleh and GBC for an outstanding team, and thanks for the great series.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Congrats on the win, VCL and 70s. I knew I couldn't keep beating you guys time after time. Good luck in the final, boys.

raleh, it's been a pleasure. As always. See you in ATD 11.

And 70s, go back to bed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad