Udo Kiessling

Viktor Konovalenko
Henrik Lundqvist

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The series discussion goes from Thursday evening until Monday night. Tuesday is Voting Day. (Anyone with time Wednesday to do a write-up for this series please let me know via PM. If eaglebelfour is still up to it, he will be collecting and tallying the votes for this series.)

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The teams with most unknown players get the most respect.. interesting. I can't vote on this series until VanI finally tells me who Hooper and Gardner are.
I post info when I pick, and on the roster thread, but I'll mention here...

Gardner is the first Habs captain to lead the Canadiens to the Stanley Cup playoffs. He won four stanley cups, twice early in his career with Dickie Boon as a member of the Little Men of Iron, then left Montreal for a few years to become a second-team all-star in the IHL and came back to Montreal to win two more stanley cups with the Wanderers before the talented HHOF left winger scored 19 points in 17 games from 1913 to 1915 with the Canadiens to end his productive 15-year career.

Hooper was "a fearless skater, formidable checker, and clever stickhandler" who as a Kenora Thistle notched three goals in a best of three game loss of the stanley cup to the Silver Seven but won the stanley cup in 1907 when they beat the Wanderers, the HHOF right winger in that championship series "was dominant, adding three goals in the deciding second game, including a blinding breakaway at the end of the game that put an emphatic exclamation point on the Thistles' remarkable achievement." Hooper later joined the Wanderers and won another stanley cup with them.

These two are deserving players in an all-time draft which respects the history of hockey. Our team's HHOF line of Gardner-Watson-Hooper is just one of four, as coach Tikhonov rose to fame by coaching a Riga team according to then-there unorthodox tactic of his of playing four lines, despite having a superstar in Balderis, and Tikhonov's team was the fastest, freshest, hardest working and rose to glory, putting Tikhonov on the Soviet hockey map and setting the stage for his ascendancy. The Oxford Dark Blues' first, second and third lines are all equally capable in an all-time context of scoring clutch championship goals, all have stars who shined when it mattered most, on the biggest stages, in the history of the greatest game on earth.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
Well thank you, its about time. Where did you get this info by the way?

Would you have Fernando Pisani on your top line in the playoffs instead of Camille Henry due to his miracle playoff year? Just wondering.

P.S. ping-pong is the greatest game on earth.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Well thank you, its about time. Where did you get this info by the way?
Am I not diligent in linking and quoting up the yinyang? I surf the net, starting with google, but there's plenty of sites out there, and many good hockey books are online... I don't pull anything out of my *beep*... I source pretty much everything, at least the first time I mention it. If there's anything in particular you ever want me to re-cite, let me know, though save me some time and find the post yourself if you have the time because I spend a lot of time posting my picks with great quotes linked from somewhere.

Would you have Fernando Pisani on your top line in the playoffs instead of Camille Henry due to his miracle playoff year? Just wondering.
No more than I would put one-playoff-series-ever Marc Savard as the top pivot on an all-time team when there's at least one playmaking first line quality center undrafted from the very same club who scored 101 points :amazed: in 101 NHL playoff games over his first nine NHL seasons. For sure, I am not a fan of the one-year wonder. Guys like Gelinas and Deadmarsh might be role players but they've demonstrated clutch playoff scoring time and again and again (they are at least a bit better than Langenbrunner and Barnes imo, but obviously those who drafted the latter two earlier think differently).

Moreover, if a player - especially an older era player - came up with big performances time and again, winning the cup with three different teams, twice as one of the heroes, and was an all-star in two or three top leagues of the time, then they're pretty bankable, especially if their contemporaries rave about them: they'd know!

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
let me sincerely applaud pitseleh for his line-up :clap:

I told nalyd after round nine that the Americans were our biggest divisional rivals and indeed it has turned out to be the case

NY drafted its goalie and defense very early just as we did and I truly believe both teams in this series has the best goaltending and blueline in the division. The Oxford shortlist for netminder was 1. Roach 2. Konovalenko and 3. Liut with nalyd winning me over on Roach, I finding out that he was remarkable in all three cities over his 14-year NHL career, winning a Stanley Cup early on backstopping Toronto and later on a First team All-star in Detroit but in between he also had four remarkable seasons in New York – justifying the $10,000 in 1928 paid in the trade for him - leading the team twice to the Finals and stands to this date as the franchise all-time record holder for goals against and shutouts in a season.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
There is just one puzzling, very puzzling thing to me, :huh: and that was the three Soviet skaters drafted into the NY line-up all seem like lesser quality choices compared to the Oxford three Soviet skaters. It puzzled me when the picks were made and it surprises me still. Seriously. I don't get it.

I certainly had Yuri Fedorov ranked lower than Zin Bilyaletdinov in terms of great Soviet blueliners. Yuri played in just two World Championships (1975 and 1978) and only one of the eight games in the 1974 USSR vs. WHA series. Why draft him? Why put him on the second pairing and as alternate captain? *shrug* I really would like to know pitseleh. Bilyaletdinov seems a better pick in every way: tons more experience, wins against top level competition, accolades, etc. I research Soviet hockey often. What am I missing pitseleh? because it sure looks to me like you took a lesser Soviet blueliner early just because he was on one Canada Cup team in 1976? And why make him an alternate captain? Was he a leader in Soviet hockey? Please inform with references or links.

Next is the 11th round pick of Viktor Shalimov over the later Oxford nabbing of Konstantin Loktev, both right wingers. :teach2: Loktev was the only Soviet skater IIHHOF inductee who was not drafted in the main ATD10 (Oxford coach Tikhonov and Americans netminder Konovalenko are also in, nonskaters per se). Loktev had scored more goals in international play than Shalimov and won more world championships, though Shalimov played in the Canada Cups and so does have that advantage to offset things; both players were on renowned Soviet lines, Shalimov with Yakushev (and sometimes with Kapustin) in the late 70's, Loktev with Alexandrov in the mid-'60s.

Loktev scored 83 goals in 113 international games
Shalimov scored 66 goals in 126 international games

Loktev is a two-time WC all-star, once best forward, twice top scorer in Soviet league, 5-time USSR all-star
Shalimov is a two-time WC top scorer, once best forward, once top scorer in Soviet league, 2-time USSR all-star

Loktev was known to be 'tough', the physical presence and scoring winger on one of the best lines in Soviet history; Shalimov was known to be 'free wheeling', the flashy scorer on one of the best lines of the 70's. (but these are chidlovski's characterizations)

They seem comparable I guess... I'd like to hear more about Shalimov if pits has anything more, to increase my knowledge base on the guy... not a lopsided comparison like the blueline choice made of Fedorov over Bilyaletdinov (which I really think needs explaining!). I don't get Fedorov as a good pick. I must be missing something major in my research or else pits pulled bronze instead of gold out from under his cap, so to speak.

Lastly, the Americans chose center Anisin (in the 19th round) over later round Oxford steal of Zhluktov and the reason isn't obvious. Shalimov thrived with a two-way center in Shadrin so putting him with big, battering ram forward Zhluktov would make more sense than with wiry offensive-only Anisin: "his defensive play was never at an elite enough level to allow him to become a dominant Soviet player"
http://internationalhockeylegends.blogspot.com/2008/07/vyacheslav-anisin.html

So Anisin is like Anakin and Aniston rolled into one: as a youngum he impressed (in the '72 Summit Series) but he became girly (defensively in his career). :laugh: Seriously, he pales in comparison to Zhluktov: if you wanna contest it, make your case for Anisin and I'll make mine for Zhluktov, detailing exactly how and when the Oxford pick was a clutch performer numerous times on the national team between 1975-1985, not only as part of four world championship gold medal teams and 1976 Olympic gold but also in terms of individual key contributions against the best (as I detailed in my post when he was drafted).

Anisin looks like the weakest second line pivot in the entire draft. He certainly doesn't make the all-Euro Americans second line anything of a competitive advantage in this series, no matter how you think of the Dark Blues HHOFers, at the very most, you could argue the second lines are a wash.

So, if the goaltending, defense and second lines are comparable, then the first, third and fourth lines, coaching, clutch championship experience and performances, leadership and intangibles will have to come into play.

This will be a loooooong series...

Last edited:

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
I was hoping for some more discourse to work with, but, a lass.

I prefer to dig up my own arguments, but, in the case of Roach vs Konvelenko, I have to link to a post raleh made in the history of hockey forum:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=17783663&postcount=3

In summary:
-While Konovelenko's skill level was elite, his mental game was suspect. He could be shaken in the right circumstances. And well, lets be honest here, giving Tikhonov an opportunity to wage psychological warfare is kinda like having George St. Pierre steal candy from a baby. Conversely, John Ross Roach won a cup in arguably the most physically intense era. So, I know he can win in the playoffs and am confident that he can handle getting run into and trashed talked to without getting knocked off his game.

And to reiterate if anyone is having thoughts in this vein. Malicek and Zabrodsky are similar skill level, but Malecek was a team first leader while Zabrodsky was a me-first player who clashed with coaches. Granted they are used in different roles, but, that is also why they have to be used in different roles.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Oxford Wins Game 1 in Overtime

The series opened with a cautious first period, featuring only 9 shots combined in the opening frame. The action picked up in the second, but the story of the game was the netminders. John Ross Roach was sensational. He robbed Nikolai Drozdetsky in close with his skate and make a dazzling glove save off Milan Hejduk to keep the keep the game scoreless. Konovalenko was very solid in the other end as well, although Martin Gelinas did ring one off the iron just 20 seconds into the period.

The puck would finally find its way to the back of the net with only 2 minutes to go in the 2nd, with Jason Arnott feeding Petr Sykora in the shot for a one-timer past Konovalenko.

Down by one entering the final 20 minutes of regulation, the New York Americans game out of the gates flying. Johnny Gagnon stripped the puck from defender Dave Lewis for a break away 1:53 into the period, but was stoned by Ross Roach, who held it out right on the goal line. However on the play off the ensuing faceoff, Jaroslav Jirik beat Ross Roach five hole to tie the game at 1. The score would remain tied going through the rest of regulation.

Overtime would not last long however. Four minutes in to the extra frame, a hard point shot from Dickie Boon was tipped past Kovalenko by Tom Hooper to give the Oxford Dark Blues a victory in game 1.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
New York Ties Series at 1 with 3-1 Victory

The New York Americans, not wanting to fall behind 2-0 in the series pressed early. Bryan McCabe scored on a powerplay just 6 minutes into the game. Ross Roach had little chance on the goal due to a Vyacheslav Anisin screen. Johnny Gagnon would get his second break away of the series late in the period and would convert this time, firing a shot low blocker to give the Americans the 2-0 lead.

Oxford pressed in the second, but could not beat a sensational Konovalenko, who made three superb blocks in the period off Rejean Houle, Jimmy Gardner, and a pinching Rick Ley.

Konovalenko would continue his fine play in the third, foiling two early powerplays for the Dark Blues. Ross Roach was solid at the other end as well, making 29 saves through 50 minutes of play. With 7 minutes to go in the game, an unlikely hero, Dave Lewis, who scored only 36 goals in a 1000 game career, beat Konovalenko, but it would not be enough. Dutch Reibel scored into an empty net and the series headed to Oxford tied at 2.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
New York Takes 2-1 Series Lead

This game saw another phenomenal goaltending duel. Each goaltender was busy in the first, with Ross roach stopping 12 and Konovalenko 9. Oxford turned it up a bit in the second, with the period ending with shots 25 a piece. Lots of chances, no goals.

The Americans, on their 32nd shot would finally beat Ross Roach, as Red Hamill deposited a Bill Thoms pass into the back of the net. That would be all for the game as Konovalenko shut the door, finishing with a 35 save shutout.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Oxford scores 4 in third, ties series at 2

The New York Americans jumped out to an early 2 goal lead, with Nikolai Drozdetsky scoring a powerplay goal and Dutch Reibel notching one shorthanded in the first period.

The second period was one of the least entertaining of the series, as the Americans sat back, although they did give up a breakaway to Konstantin Loktev. Loktev however shot high over the net.

Konovalenko entered the third looking for his second consecutive shutout, but it was not to be. Stephane Richer scored 1:40 into the period on a powerplay. Dickie Boon would add another through a screen at the half-way point of the period. Ross Roach preserved the tie by stopping Viktor Shalimov in close. A clutch penalty kill by the Dark Blues with 5 minutes to go was the turning point of the game. With the game appearing to be headed to OT, Josef Malecek picked the top shelf on Konovalenko to give Oxford the lead. Loktev would add an EN goal to seal the game for the Dark Blues and even the series once again.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
New York a Win Away from the Finals

Josef Malecek scored just 14 seconds into the game past a shocked Konovalenko. Dickie Boon added to the lead 6 minutes later. Konovalenko seemed to settle in after that, coming up huge on a powerplay with big saves on Jimmy Gardner and Moose Watson. The Americans rewarded his strong play with a late goal by Johnny Gagnon who slid one under the leg of Ross Roach.

The Americans equalized mid-way through the second on a powerplay, with Dave Babych blasting a shot past a sliding Ross Roach. However just as it seemed the Americans had gained momentum, Jimmy Gardner scored from in close on Konovalenko to give the Dark Blues a 3-2 lead.

The lead would not last however as on another powerplay, this one early in the third, as Bryan McCabe scored his second of the series from the point.

The Americans went ahead with only 3 minutes to go in the third as Vladimir Zabrodsky scored a backhand goal to put the Americans up 4-3.

While the Dark Blues pressed in the final seconds, Konovalenko only needed to make one more save, which he did, absorbing a Stephane Richer shot.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Oxford wins Game 6

Playing in front of the home crowd, Oxford dominated the game, leading a 54 minutes of the game. Dickie Boon scored 6 minutes into the game on a powerplay and Oxford never looked back. Konovalenko was very good in the first, preventing New York from falling behind by more than one. However, unlike in prior games, his efforts would not be rewarded. Ross Roach equaled Konovalenko save for save, his best a stop with the end of his goal stick on Alex Tanguay.

The Dark Blues went up 2-0 on a redirect from the side of the net by Martin Gelinas late in the 2nd.

After killing off two powerplays early in the third, Oxford would notch their final goal of the game at 8:32 on a laser by Stephane Richer. Ross Roach shut the door the rest of the way, stopping a total of 29 shots for the shutout and setting the stage for a one game showdown for a spot in the finals.

Last edited:

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Game 7 Heads to Overtime!

Overtime is about to begin here in New York, with the two teams tied at 2. It has been an intense, yet cautious game tonight. The fourth lines traded goals in the first, with Rejean Houle putting the Dark Blues up by one only to be quickly answered by Dave Trottier. The series' theme of brilliant goaltending continued in the second period, with each netminder stopping 11 shots each.

New York grabbed momentum early in the third when Milan Hejduk deposited a Bill Thoms pass into the net. However a penalty in the offensive zone by the Americans proved costly, with Josef Malecek tying the game off a rebound from a Dickie Boon shot with 7:37 left in the game.

On the next shift, it appeared the Dark Blues would go ahead by a goal, but Joe Jerwa pulled a puck off the goal line behind Konovalenko to preserve the tie. Ross Roach would experience similar luck when Vyacheslav Anisin hit the cross bar with just 40 seconds to go.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Dark Blues Win in OT

The game was almost ended in the first minute of the extra frame when Anisin and Shalimov broke in 2 on 1, but Ross Roach robbed Shalimov by stacking the pads just inches in front of the goal line.

Saku Koviu registered the Dark Blues first real chance of overtime during a 4-on-4 segment 5:30 into overtime after Rick Ley and Joe Jerwa were off for roughing. However Konovalenko stopped him with his blocker and then stopped the rebound shot from Rejean Houle with his left pad.

At the other end of the ice, Ross Roach somehow tracked a Jack Laviolette slap shot through a screen and a deflection off the stick of Red Hamill.

The game would end at 16:39 of OT when Dickie Boon fired a Josef Malecek drop pass right under the crossbar on Konovalenko.

The Dark Blues advance to the finals four games to three.

Three Stars:
1. John Ross Roach - Oxford
2. Viktor Konovalenko - New York
3. Dickie Boon - Oxford

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad