ATD Lineup advice thread

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
My Line-Up advice- presumptuously speaking on behalf of the entire non-Player Voting Panel:

Please keep your Roster Post updated. [I should imagine this helps the participants, as well.]

My Line-Up advice, mostly for the non-Player Voting Panel (though again, possibly useful to the participants)-

A pencil-length "clicky-eraser" can be handy for GM re-positioning of personnel.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Quick thoughts -

With a top 4 of:

Nicklas Lidstrom - Earl Seibert
Ken Reardon - Jack Stewart

My instinct is to put Seibert on the second pair to give it some offense and provide stronger match up ability. Stewart is a #2 in this draft and would not be out of place playing on the top pair (and in fact seems like a good style match for him).

Thoughts?

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Quick thoughts -

With a top 4 of:

Nicklas Lidstrom - Earl Seibert
Ken Reardon - Jack Stewart

My instinct is to put Seibert on the second pair to give it some offense and provide stronger match up ability. Stewart is a #2 in this draft and would not be out of place playing on the top pair (and in fact seems like a good style match for him).

Thoughts?

I'd definitely split Seibert to the 2nd pair and bump Stewart up. Your instincts are correct IMO sir!

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Remind me, do we have accounts of Stewart on the right and Reardon on the left? Because the original roster post has them flipped by handedness, and the proposed change would unite two righties and two lefties.
My perrrrrrrsonal preference would actually to have a shutdown pair of Stewart-Seibert, and then have Lidstrom drag around Reardon because I'd trust Nick with anyone, but I don't think most voters would see it that way.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Remind me, do we have accounts of Stewart on the right and Reardon on the left? Because the original roster post has them flipped by handedness, and the proposed change would unite two righties and two lefties.
My perrrrrrrsonal preference would actually to have a shutdown pair of Stewart-Seibert, and then have Lidstrom drag around Reardon because I'd trust Nick with anyone, but I don't think most voters would see it that way.

Reardon is a left handed shot.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I found a good bit of Stewart on the right (going to make a bio). Played with Quackenbush who played almost exclusively left.

Reardon was on a pair with Bouchard for awhile, who was a RHS. Pretty confident he's left based on that but don't have a ton of quotes on him yet. If I have time I'll expand that too.

Reactions: Johnny Engine

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I found a good bit of Stewart on the right (going to make a bio). Played with Quackenbush who played almost exclusively left.

Reardon was on a pair with Bouchard for awhile, who was a RHS. Pretty confident he's left based on that but don't have a ton of quotes on him yet. If I have time I'll expand that too.
Good to know. I’ve had both of those players in the past, but there are 1000 players in a big ATD year and I only have so much hard drive space upstairs, haha. I think the proposed change works in that case.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Whichever pairing Reardon is on is going to be attacked for being slow, so make sure his partner can skate decently well.

I don't recall Stewart's skating
I currently switched him to be with Seibert, so that should cover any questions with being too slow I'd hope.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Whichever pairing Reardon is on is going to be attacked for being slow, so make sure his partner can skate decently well.

Siebert can absolutely skate and was a very strong 2 way guy. I'd definitely put him, a RHS, to the right of Reardon and Stewart up on the top pairing with Lidstrom given we know Black Jack played the right side with Quack.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Siebert can absolutely skate and was a very strong 2 way guy. I'd definitely put him, a RHS, to the right of Reardon and Stewart up on the top pairing with Lidstrom given we know Black Jack played the right side with Quack.

That works. Ideally you'd have a partner for Lidstrom who could put up some points at even strength, but it isn't strictly necessary.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
That works. Ideally you'd have a partner for Lidstrom who could put up some points at even strength, but it isn't strictly necessary.
On the other side - I challenge you to find a better pure defensive pairing than Lidstrom-Stewart.

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
How should I work my top four D?

Borje Salming
- Art Coulter (A)
Scott Niedermayer (A) - Sylvio Mantha

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
How should I work my top four D?

Borje Salming
- Art Coulter (A)
Scott Niedermayer (A) - Sylvio Mantha

The way you have it written is probably the best setup

Best rushing guy + best stay at homer
2nd best rushing guy + 2nd best stay at homer

Minus a few points because Niedermayer generally played RD, but as a LHS, I'd think he could transition better than Coulter or Mantha.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
On the other side - I challenge you to find a better pure defensive pairing than Lidstrom-Stewart.

Eddie Gerard - Bobby Orr

ce602105-ae88-4b0b-b39b-1b9fa2f571e2_text.gif

Reactions: The Macho King

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
The way you have it written is probably the best setup

Best rushing guy + best stay at homer
2nd best rushing guy + 2nd best stay at homer

Minus a few points because Niedermayer generally played RD, but as a LHS, I'd think he could transition better than Coulter or Mantha.
BTW RD and LD should be two different positions. So f***ing confusing.

Like you get guys changing wings for short periods all the time, but for the most part guys generally play on one side.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011

Why am I finding a ton of articles calling him "Galloping Ken Reardon"?

Ton = two, but I'm still early in the research, so that's surprising me.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Why am I finding a ton of articles calling him "Galloping Ken Reardon"?

Ton = two, but I'm still early in the research, so that's surprising me.

I don't know. I haven't researched the player thoroughly, but every retrospective on Reardon includes his own quote: "I couldn't skate, I couldn't shoot, and I wasn't very intelligent. But I was spectacular"

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I don't know. I haven't researched the player thoroughly, but every retrospective on Reardon includes his own quote: "I couldn't skate, I couldn't shoot, and I wasn't very intelligent. But I was spectacular"
From what I'm gathering now, he liked to chirp in the press a lot (to the point where he was fined $1000 one time). Wondering if that's one of those things that kind of took a life of its own.

Also - apparently he was well known for screening the goalie in the offensive zone (don't know if it was PP or generally). Probably not going to be the slowest guy on the ice as a Dman if you're screening the goalie as a Dman though.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I would say that for a pro hockey player, even one 75 years ago, being described as "galloping" and one who, by his own assessment "couldn't skate", coalesces for me into a picture of a guy who gives it his all to get where he's going, but has a stride that would make a scout cringe to look at.
And I think you'd come up with more instances on the ice where a defenseman who has to turn quickly to pick up a guy, than you would where he would "gallop" up the ice, so his skating is still an issue you've got mitigate.
A few more quotes (or better, video) would clarify that assumption I'm making.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I would say that for a pro hockey player, even one 75 years ago, being described as "galloping" and one who, by his own assessment "couldn't skate", coalesces for me into a picture of a guy who gives it his all to get where he's going, but has a stride that would make a scout cringe to look at.
And I think you'd come up with more instances on the ice where a defenseman who has to turn quickly to pick up a guy, than you would where he would "gallop" up the ice, so his skating is still an issue you've got mitigate.
A few more quotes (or better, video) would clarify that assumption I'm making.
Not quite sure I agree with your assessment of what "galloping" means, but I agree that I have more work to do before I can say definitively whether his skating is a negative or not.

Anyway I'll drop this line of discussion now as it isn't in keeping with the thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad