ATD#9 - patience is a virtue

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I was going to throw this idea out and hopefully it will get some support. If not, well, I guess I have to go with the flow.

I think that ATD#9 should not start for a while. I get the impression from posts around here, that it will start shortly after the AAA draft for ATD#7 ends. I propose that we wait for the following reasons:

1) Most of us who participate in the ATD are mired in great conversation in the HOH top-100 thread and this will only get more and more intense as we get into the 20's and 30's where less and less separates the players. That alone will take up a lot of our time.

2) Think of those of us who participated in all three drafts, or even just the minor league plus AAA. That is three or four consecutive drafts, with very little time to rest in between. You may be raring to go if you haven't drafted since the end of ATD#8, but I am sure a break for the hardcores would be appreciated.

3) Let's not cheapen the ATD. I think it is an unprecedented display of appreciation for the history of the game and the players who shaped its history by a bunch of regular guys on the internet. To go through another one every five months will only make the event lose some of its lustre. They don't hold an Olympics every year, they don't award a second Stanley cup in January, teams don't retire the number of anyone to play 10 seasons for them, and the HOF doesn't allow 10 players in each year. Let's show some restraint and maintain the prestige of the ATD.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
While I agree, it would also be nice to get it started so that we have a timeline that would have it end before we get into summer.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
While I agree, it would also be nice to get it started so that we have a timeline that would have it end before we get into summer.

That's a good point. Summer is difficult to maintain a lot of people around to participate, something crucial at the end of the process.

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
as an atd newbie who's hoping (fingers crossed) to get a crack at atd#9, and has been cutting their teeth in the minor league and AAA drafts, i'm anxiously awaiting the beginning of atd#9.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
The last two years the spring ATD (5 and 7) has started in March, and it has taken about two months. This would be the healthy time to start ATD 9.

One of the reasons that I sat out of the AAA draft was to cogitate on what raleh and I did in ATD 8 (and judging by our results, and our tough series with the eventual champs, we did a lot right), and the few mistakes we made. Would rather spend this time off taking a break from the ATD, and looking at options for the next draft, than worrying about who to pick in a third draft.

AAA draft is nice and all, but it shouldn't be the reason to delay HF's whole friggin' show.

And, as HO once stated, HF is just a little boring during the ATD off-season.

The top 100 project might actually be a good thing. I think it gives the participants a head start on the next draft, with the research we've done, and the lists we've compiled. I think most participants are around a little more than they would be normally. And, for those who care about this detail, it gives you a read on your opponents. Learned a few things about my perpetual foes that I wouldn't have learned otherwise.

BTW, in what should surprise nobody, raleh and I will be teaming up again in ATD 9.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
as an atd newbie who's hoping (fingers crossed) to get a crack at atd#9, and has been cutting their teeth in the minor league and AAA drafts, i'm anxiously awaiting the beginning of atd#9.
Same year. I really want a shot. Hell I already made a 500 player list. Trying to go to a 1000 list.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The last two years the spring ATD (5 and 7) has started in March, and it has taken about two months. This would be the healthy time to start ATD 9.

AAA draft is nice and all, but it shouldn't be the reason to delay HF's whole friggin' show.
Agreed. March 15 or 21st (first day of spring) would be a great start date,

The AAA Draft was simply a fun filler and by no means should affect the schedule of the ATD.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I assume you pick to who will be involved correct?
not me personally (no rigid hierarchy here!), those who have been in this a long time, like myself, together decide. I have done this for years but I defer to those who have done this longer.

the general principle is: the more you have done this, the higher priority

All past main ATD g.m.s will be able to join if they want, then past MLD g.m.s, then the AAA draft newbies. That kind of thing.

A co-g.m. like NatetheGreat can join as a co-g.m. but has NOT proven activity level, rarely responding to my PMs, and pretty much acting like an appendage of chaosrevolver, so that's pretty much the capacity in which he is experienced (could be a co-g.m. in the main draft), whereas chaosrevolver has been around here daily (proven activity level). So I personally would object to NatetheGreat getting a ATD#9 team to himself, except as a last minute addition if there's room, I wouldn't object - and in fact support - chaosrevolver getting his own team. That's what I would have to say on the matter.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
not me personally (no rigid hierarchy here!), those who have been in this a long time, like myself, together decide. I have done this for years but I defer to those who have done this longer.

the general principle is: the more you have done this, the higher priority

All past main ATD g.m.s will be able to join if they want, then past MLD g.m.s, then the AAA draft newbies. That kind of thing.

A co-g.m. like NatetheGreat can join as a co-g.m. but has NOT proven activity level, rarely responding to my PMs, and pretty much acting like an appendage of chaosrevolver, so that's pretty much the capacity in which he is experienced (could be a co-g.m. in the main draft), whereas chaosrevolver has been around here daily (proven activity level). So I personally would object to NatetheGreat getting a ATD#9 team to himself, except as a last minute addition if there's room, I wouldn't object - and in fact support - chaosrevolver getting his own team. That's what I would have to say on the matter.
Well we would work as a team. He actually has made a list for me. And ive added to it. To be honest, hes more behind the scenes. But yeah hed be a co-gm with me.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Looking forward to starting this up as well. Already have a team name picked out. A tribute to history and even a poster here at HF.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Just for those who have doubts about having a co-GM: I had a lot more fun doing the co-GM thing with raleh than doing this on my own. We came into this thing together, we'd been in every draft since then. We'll probably be working together for a while.

I also had a lot of fun in ATD 7 working with my old friend Murphy.

It's important to have a like-minded GM. You don't want to have a partner who you're squabbling with. You need to have similar philosophies on building a team, and on the game. If you find that, you'll have more fun in a team than on your own. You get to bounce ideas, trade suggestions, picks, instead of not having anyone to talk to. (Unless you want to give away ideas to your opponents).

And when we win this, it'll mean more because I did it with a buddy, instead of on my own.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
And when we win this, it'll mean more because I did it with a buddy, instead of on my own.

Hope I don't sound stuck-up or anything, but I think I'd be more proud of myself if I managed to build a ATD championship team on my own. Although co-GM'ing was definitely a fun experience, and I'd look at trying it out again.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I think I'd have to GM solo once more to watch and gauge who has similar viewpoints before co-GMing in a main draft. Probably the best way to get a partner.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Comments from a guy that did soloing and comboing....

I wouldn't be so sure about comboing in the regular draft. Why... trades. I could never, EVER, have pulled up the 51 down to 65 and up to 62, thus giving me 2 sets of back-to-back picks that would permit be to put together an historical 1st AND 3rd pairing (Pulford - Keon - Ellis) that I planned from the start when I decided to keep pick 6th and select Richard.

That's simply NOT the kind of thing you can do when you're with somebody else. (I won't be part of the next ATD. Might do some counselling from GM's seeking an advice from a moderately experienced guy though. I'll be in the moving process for a few days in April/May, and before being set at my new place, it might take a while). This said, if I ever wind up with the 8th pick (and EagleBelfour isn't picking just above me), watch me trade slightly up in the 2nd round, and trade slightly down in the 5th round.

But it's fun to discuss. In the last MLD, while I called most of the picks, Jungosi was responsible for roughly half of them. I was just happy to help, and I hope he'll continue GM'ing for a while.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
I don't think you're ever going to have a perfect time. I know I was signed up for the MLD and life completely caught up with me in an unforseen way. Can't plan for it really. I think it's best to just stick by the general time line.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
I already making plan for my lineup, depending on what position I will select ... Tell me I'm not an ATD fanatic (Please, don't wanna select 20th AGAIN) Anywhere but in the middle-late position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad