ATD #9, Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Well, that was quick. It kind of depressed me that you guys didn't think I'd make this pick right away. C'mon, I thought I was more reliable than that. ;)

Anyway, with our seventh selection, #209 overall, the Montreal Maroons select D Gary Suter. Defense seems to be at a premium in this draft, and we feel Suter is one of the best available. Definitely a very mean defenseman who also put up some great numbers offensively.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
With the 211th pick in the 9th ATD the Minnesota Fighting Saints select
LW Rick Martin

000105278.jpg

Biography
Left-winger Rick Martin was a talented offensive player with speed and a lethal shot. He played nearly 700 games in the 70s and 80s, mostly with the Buffalo Sabres.

In 1971-72, Martin broke teammate Gilbert Perreault's NHL rookie record for goals by firing 44 of his own. A few months later he was picked as a reserve for Team Canada in the historic Summit Series versus the Soviet Union. Martin dipped slightly to 37 goals in 1972-73 but his defensive play improved and he helped Buffalo reach the playoffs in only its third year of existence. More importantly, he formed the dreaded "French Connection" line with **** ****** and Perreault.

During the 1973-74 season, Martin scored 52 goals though the club sagged when Perreault broke his leg in mid-season. The next year he duplicated his 52-goal output then registered 15 points in seven playoff games when the Sabres reached the finals. The clever winger was among the NHL's top snipers through the 1979-80 season and scored three goals for his country at the inaugural Canada Cup tournament in 1976. He was named to the NHL first and second all-star teams twice each and played in seven straight all-star games commencing in 1972.

Full Bio: http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=13552

Awards/Trophies
NHL First All-Star Team (1974, 1975)
NHL Second All-Star Team (1976, 1977)
Played in NHL All-Star Game (1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978)

We feel the perfect fit for Beliveau's wing.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
The Clippers are pleased to select D Red Horner. I figure I can save myself a lot of trouble when it comes to debates by plagiarizing Sturminator's essays on Horner from the last draft.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
The Clippers are pleased to select D Red Horner. I figure I can save myself a lot of trouble when it comes to debates by plagiarizing Sturminator's essays on Horner from the last draft.

haha, I was thinking the exact same thing when I was looking at taking him at 185

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
:leafs select Patrik Elias LW

Patrick is one of hockeys best LW in the game. He uses his hockey sense to let him tap totally into his offensive instincts be it throwing a blind past to one of his dangerous wingers or letting his sharp shot beat a goalie by potting the puck where the netmidner has no hope of reaching it. He is a very fast elusive skater with lightining quick hands andreflexes. He can battle with the best of them to create scoring chances whenever he is on the ice. He has an ability to make players around him better. Once he gets his game rolling he is almost unstoppable.

Elias was picked by New Jersey 51st overall in the second round of the 1994 NHL Entry Draft but decided to stay in the Czech Republic with Kladno for one more year before going to the NHL. At only 19 years of age he immediately joined a powerful Devils team that would win the Stanley Cup in 1995.

Impressed by his stats and his hard work in the AHL, management moved Elias up to the NHL for the 1997 playoffs and he produced immediately, scoring five points in eight post-season games. The following season, New Jersey called him up to the NHL again and he immediately met the challenge of big-league play, scoring 18 goals and registering 19 assists that year and finishing third in the balloting for the Calder Trophy as the NHL's best rookie. Close observers of the game noted that only Calder winner Sergei Samsonov of Boston scored more goals than Elias, and only Samsonov and Toronto's Mike Johnson had more points.

The one significant downside to Elias's career in the NHL since making the move to the big time came in 1998 when he failed to make the powerful Czech Olympic team that ended up winning top honours at the Winter Games in Nagano, Japan. However, Elias would get his opportunoty to shine with his homeland at the 2002 Winter Olympic Games in Salt Lake City, Utah.

In 1999-00 Elias went on to score 35 goals and 72 points in the regular season, and was instrumental in leading the Devils to their second Stanley Cup victory. Elias established career highs in goals (40), assists (56) and points (96) in 2000-01 leading the Devils to the Stanley Cup Final for a second consecutive season before falling short against the Colorado Avalanche.

A member of the Czech Republic's Olympic Team in 2002 and One of the premier players in the league, Elias captured went on to capture his second Stanley Cup title in 2003 despite having his least productive season offensively since the 1998-99 tallying 57 points (28-29-57). Elias rebounded offensively in 2003-04 with 81 points (38-43-81), yet the Devils fell short in their attempt to repeat as Cup champions

Reg Season stats 744 264 364 628 371
Playoffs 121 35 69 104 71

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad