ATD #9 Foster Hewitt Semifinal: #2 Minnesota Fighting Saints vs. #3 Ottawa RCAF Flyer

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
The Minnesota Fighting Saints
Coach: Pat Burns
Captain: Jean Beliveau
Alternate Captains: Earl Seibert & Rod Langway

Rick Martin - Jean Beliveau - Danny Gare
Adam Graves - Syd Howe - Pavel Bure
Nick Metz - Bobby Holik - Bill Ezinicki
Bob Errey - George "Red" Sullivan - Anders Kallur
Hobey Baker

Rod Langway - Earl Seibert
Alexander Ragulin - Edward Ivanov
Carol Vadnais - Dallas Smith
Sylvain Lefebvre

Harry "Hap" Holmes
Mike Liut

PP#1
Adam Graves - Jean Beliveau - Pavel Bure
Carol Vadnais - Earl Seibert

PP#2
Rick Martin - Bobby Holik - Danny Gare
Alexander Ragulin - Edward Ivanov

PK#1
Bobby Holik - Nick Metz
Rod Langway - Earl Seibert

PK#2
George "Red" Sullivan - Anders Kallur
Alexander Ragulin - Dallas Smith

Ottawa RCAF Flyers
Coach: Tommy Gorman
Captain: Milt Schmidt
Alternate captain: Larry Robinson, Clarence "Hap" Day, Johnny Bucyk

Johnny Bucyk - Milt Schmidt - Cam Neely
Shayne Corson - Jacques Lemaire - Steve Larmer
Mike McPhee - Wayne Merrick - Bobby Rousseau
Brenden Morrow - Glen Skov - Blair Russell
Russell Bowie, Ray Getliffe

Larry Robinson - Clarence "Hap" Day
Doug Mohns - Bill Barilko
Ted Harris - Brad Maxwell
Joe Watson

Gerry Cheevers
Hugh Lehman

PP#1
Johnny Bucyk - Milt Schmidt - Cam Neely
Larry Robinson - Brad Maxwell

PP#2
Shayne Corson - Jacques Lemaire - Steve Larmer
Clarence "Hap" Day - Doug Mohns

PK#1
Bobby Rousseau - Milt Schmidt
Larry Robinson - Bill Barilko

PK#2
Brenden Morrow - Glen Skov
Ted Harris - Doug Mohns​

Last edited:

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
The word epic fails to describe how epic this series will be. If there's one GM I've wanted to face but never have, it's GBC. We don't agree on much when it comes to building teams, but, I think we both agree that we're good at it...

I look forward to this one.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
The word epic fails to describe how epic this series will be.

Like Kingston vs Toronto in the first round, this is the second round series that interests me most.

Defense seems a wash, Offense seems a wash & I really like both first lines. Goaltending seems a wash as well. At first glance I can't call a winner. I don't see much of a difference between the 3rd and 4th lines either, although Rousseau is a personal favourite.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Like Kingston vs Toronto in the first round, this is the second round series that interests me most.

Defense seems a wash, Offense seems a wash & I really like both first lines. Goaltending seems a wash as well. At first glance I can't call a winner. I don't see much of a difference between the 3rd and 4th lines either, although Rousseau is a personal favourite.

Well if Defense, Offense, and goaltending are all washes, then you should probably vote for the team who will be coached better. To me that's a no brainer.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Well if Defense, Offense, and goaltending are all washes, then you should probably vote for the team who will be coached better. To me that's a no brainer.

I realize we have strong coaching, but to say we're a no-brainer over you seems a bit harsh.

If the teams are really even in his mind I'd think home-ice advantage would be a strong factor in deciding the victor.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
About half-way through the draft, I had a pretty good idea of how the regular season ratings would shake down: Detroit, Ottawa/Minnesota, Kansas City, Dallas/St. Louis, Montreal and Donair City. I thought we would finish ahead of Minnesota, but I knew it would be close.

And this series will be close, too. Both teams have excellent team defense and team toughness, strong work ethic and big-game goalies.

I think we do have some advantages. The first is character. Playoffs are about character. Our toughest decision was not who to pick, but who to get the letters. Schmidt was our captain from the start. Robinson, Bucyk, Robinson, Day, Lemaire, McPhee and Morrow would have all been great choices for a letter. We decided to assign three on a rotating basis.

Any one of our centres can play against Beliveau. That's a big perk. Any of our lines can play against Beliveau's line. That's also a big advantage. We have a strong assortment of two-way players on all four lines. When you have forwards like Bucyk, Schmidt, Lemaire and Larmer on the top two lines, you can wait to start assembling the third line.

We're going to try to get Mohns out there against Bure whenever possible. This is why we got Mohns: a strong, very mobile, two-way defenceman who could take care of his own zone. I watched Bure play some terrific hockey in the playoffs. People talk about his performance in 1994; I thought he was more consistent in 1995. Frankly, in 1994, there were stretches, especially against the Rangers and Calgary, when he was ineffective. But I also watched him struggle in the playoffs. And not always against star defencemen. (Alexei Zhitnik in 1993, anyone?). Mohns can definitely neutralize Bure.

Rod Langway's playoff record isn't sterling. He wasn't the biggest reason the Caps failed year after year in the playoffs in the 1980s. But he wasn't immune from criticism, either. I watched players not in Neely's class really take it to Langway in the playoffs. This could be one of the big difference makers. Langway just wasn't as effective in the playoffs as he was in the regular season.

We also have much better playoff production from the wings. As I've said previously, it's not that Martin and Gare have bad playoff records. It's just they're underwhelming. Especially Martin. I think if Martin had Neely's playoff record, Martin would be in the HHOF. For such a dynamic goal scorer, I'd like to see more than 24 goals in 63 games. Gare's an excellent two-way player, and he can be effective when he's not scoring. But again, there isn't much that stands out for Gare.

Nalyd, you asked why Corson is on our second line? Same reason Graves is on your second line. But Corson actually scored at a better clip, in both the regular season and the playoffs.

I think we definitely have an edge in coaching. Gorman, for my money, is one of the top 10 coaches of all-time. If you think this series comes down to coaching, and there are a lot of reasons to think it will, then the Flyers are your pick.

I'd much rather have a legitimate edge behind the bench, than home ice advantage. I don't think home ice advantage is an issue. Not with our character. Not with our depth. And not with our coaching.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
I think we do have some advantages. The first is character. Playoffs are about character. Our toughest decision was not who to pick, but who to get the letters. Schmidt was our captain from the start. Robinson, Bucyk, Robinson, Day, Lemaire, McPhee and Morrow would have all been great choices for a letter. We decided to assign three on a rotating basis.

And The Fighting Saints lack character? Beliveau is arguably the best leader in hockey history, follow that up with captains:
Danny Gare: Sabres: 77-81, Red Wings: 82-86
Syd Howe: Senators/Eagles: 33-35, Red Wings: 41-42
Bobby Holik: Thrashers: 07-present
Bob Errey: Sharks 93-95
Red Sullivan: Rangers: 57-61
Rod Langway: Capitals: 82-93
Earl Seibert: Blackhawks: 40-42
Carol Vadnias: Golden Seals: 71-72

And that's not including the character leadership of Graves, Metz, Ragulin, Smith and others.

I'm not going to slander your teams heart, but you certainly have no advantage in that department.

Any one of our centres can play against Beliveau. That's a big perk. Any of our lines can play against Beliveau's line. That's also a big advantage. We have a strong assortment of two-way players on all four lines. When you have forwards like Bucyk, Schmidt, Lemaire and Larmer on the top two lines, you can wait to start assembling the third line.

And any of our centers can play against Schmidt, but we like Holik because he's one of the few centers who can neutralize Schmidt's physical advantage and thusly throw him off his game.

We're going to try to get Mohns out there against Bure whenever possible. This is why we got Mohns: a strong, very mobile, two-way defenceman who could take care of his own zone. I watched Bure play some terrific hockey in the playoffs. People talk about his performance in 1994; I thought he was more consistent in 1995. Frankly, in 1994, there were stretches, especially against the Rangers and Calgary, when he was ineffective. But I also watched him struggle in the playoffs. And not always against star defencemen. (Alexei Zhitnik in 1993, anyone?). Mohns can definitely neutralize Bure.

Love to see a scoring breakdown of the '93 series, as Bure was a PPG player in the two-round playoff. And while Mohns could skate with Bure, I think you underrate how unstoppable Bure was. Even if you take him out for a few games, in a seven game series, he is going to single handedly win a game or two. Bure, Beliveau and Neely are the only players in this series that can dominate a single game on that level. If you think over seven games you can stop him, you're foolish.

Rod Langway's playoff record isn't sterling. He wasn't the biggest reason the Caps failed year after year in the playoffs in the 1980s. But he wasn't immune from criticism, either. I watched players not in Neely's class really take it to Langway in the playoffs. This could be one of the big difference makers. Langway just wasn't as effective in the playoffs as he was in the regular season.

I think you are massively overstating things, Doug Harvey probably had an off series here or there. No one is stating that Rod Langway can singlehandedly neutralize a threat like Neely. That said, we do think that Langway and Metz will be able to combine to give Neely a challenge he never had to face in reality.

We also have much better playoff production from the wings. As I've said previously, it's not that Martin and Gare have bad playoff records. It's just they're underwhelming. Especially Martin. I think if Martin had Neely's playoff record, Martin would be in the HHOF. For such a dynamic goal scorer, I'd like to see more than 24 goals in 63 games. Gare's an excellent two-way player, and he can be effective when he's not scoring. But again, there isn't much that stands out for Gare.

Bure and Neely are pretty much washes offensively. Both are equally capable of tearing out their opponent's heart. Neely is more consistent, but Bure is harder to contain when he brings it. (Which is why Bure is relied on for secondary scoring. He won't be a three star every game, but when he is, he'll be 1st star.)

Please point me to the time Steve Larmer lead his line in playoff scoring? You'll find him tying Savard once. Conversely in 4 extended playoff runs, Gare leads his line once, ties twice and has one year where I assume he was on Perrault's line and played below Perrault's level.

Bucyk had a playoff scoring record of 3g, 10a, 13pts in 32 games when he was the age Rick Martin retired at. Bucyk is a perfect example of the fatal flaw of your offense. You assume that a player who needs to be offensively protected in the NHL to succeed will be able to duplicate that in the ATD. Bucyk isn't going to be facing 2nd pairings here. He isn't going to be on the rush with Bobby Orr. No. While he may have Robinson, Schmidt and Neely watching his back, he's also on a head on collision with Ezinicki and Seibert. And that's going to put him closer to the disappointment of his youth than it will the glory of his later years.

Nalyd, you asked why Corson is on our second line? Same reason Graves is on your second line. But Corson actually scored at a better clip, in both the regular season and the playoffs.

You have Shayne Corson on your second line because Pavel Bure plays better with a guy who will drop the gloves on his line? That seems kind of odd...

The difference here is that we concede that Graves is better suited to an energy line than a scoring line, but, that Pavel Bure is, when on his game, a 1st round talent. And thus we did everything humanly possible to make Pavel Bure comfortable and effective. And a critical part of that was to get a player who would go to the corners, go to the front of the net to screen and get garbage goals and drop the gloves all while being a character guy and positive influence. Graves was the best we could do to fill that role. Corson could have filled that role except he is absolutely not a character guy and would be a proactively bad influence. (And what's more, Graves is significantly less penalized, having a 180PIM player like Corson logging 2nd line minutes just gives us more PP time. Which is another advantage the Fighting Saints have, while both the Saints and the Flyers are roughly equal when it comes to toughness, the Fighting Saints live up to their name and have one of the best toughness to penalty ratios in the ATD.) I would go so far as to say Corson has as much cancer potential as Bure has, the difference is Bure backs up his BS on the score sheet, while getting smashed and winning barroom brawls the night before game seven has no benefit to your team.

The bottom line is this. Neither Graves nor Corson belong on a 2nd line. Adam Graves absolutely belongs on the Pavel Bure Line. Shayne Corson just flat out doesn't belong on a second line.

I think we definitely have an edge in coaching. Gorman, for my money, is one of the top 10 coaches of all-time. If you think this series comes down to coaching, and there are a lot of reasons to think it will, then the Flyers are your pick.

I'd much rather have a legitimate edge behind the bench, than home ice advantage. I don't think home ice advantage is an issue. Not with our character. Not with our depth. And not with our coaching.

I'm not going to disrespect Tom Gorman as I'm not a hypocrite. That said, tomorrow I'm going to focus on my team and our strategy (and why home ice advantage will break the RCAF Flyers.) and while doing that I will explain why Burns is not nearly as far behind Gorman as you seem to think.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I think you are massively overstating things, Doug Harvey probably had an off series here or there.

I dunno about a bad series, but Doug Harvey did tip a harmless Tony Leswick dump-in shot past his own goalie in overtime of Game 7 of the 1954 Cup finals to win it for the Red Wings. It's one of the worst gaffes in NHL history, but seemingly forgotten because of Harvey's greatness. No one, not even Doug Harvey, is perfect.

Bucyk had a playoff scoring record of 3g, 10a, 13pts in 32 games when he was the age Rick Martin retired at. Bucyk is a perfect example of the fatal flaw of your offense. You assume that a player who needs to be offensively protected in the NHL to succeed will be able to duplicate that in the ATD. Bucyk isn't going to be facing 2nd pairings here. He isn't going to be on the rush with Bobby Orr. No. While he may have Robinson, Schmidt and Neely watching his back, he's also on a head on collision with Ezinicki and Seibert. And that's going to put him closer to the disappointment of his youth than it will the glory of his later years.

I took a little shot at Bucyk's playoff scoring numbers in the last round to point out that even great players can turn in disappointing postseason performances when they're not put in position to succeed, not because I think Bucyk was a poor playoff performer.

Bucyk - Schmidt - Neely
Robinson - Day

...is an awful lot of offensive talent together on one unit. Bucyk is really the support player on that line and I think in that role he's fine, and will get his points. What an epic physical battle this series will be.

Based on your comments about Ezinicki vs. Bucyk, I assume that you're planning on matching the Minnesota 3rd line against Ottawa's 1st line. You have home-ice advantage and Burns is a strong X's-and-O's coach, so I don't see any problems there, but how much icetime are you planning on giving the 3rd line? You can't match them against the BBB line on every shift without doing your scoringlines a real injustice. Danny Gare was a pretty good 2-way player in his own right (one of the reasons you drafted him, I'm sure) and although he gives up a lot of size to Bucyk, you might be better off just letting him do his best against Bucyk and not taking away shifts from your scoringlines.

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think GBC and raleh are planning on line-matching in this series, and rightfully so. Line-matching is an ATD phenomenon that is quickly becoming unfashionable for a good reason. It is certainly useful in some situations to throw a line of shutdown forwards on the ice, but as an overall, shift-to-shift strategy, it has been pretty often overrated in this forum.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com

I've been hearing this nit-picking of Langway since the moment he was drafted and it's starting to get tedious. I've been trying to find articles or writeups or anything from his playoff runs to make the assertion that Langway was responsible for a lost series, or even a lost game and frankly I can't find anything. All due respect GBC, but when the only evidence you offer is watching "players not in Neely's class really take it to Langway" you can understand I might be a touch skeptical when I can't anything else to back that statement up. At best this is just a prime example of a player getting unfairly overanalyzed because some people may have remembered some bad plays or a bad game they watched while we turn around and pretend guys from the pre-NHL through 50s were nearly flawless because nobody has yet found something written against them. Nobody points to Tim Horton as an overrated defensive defenseman who makes occasional mistakes, but that doesn't mean it happened. We just don't have anyone who watched him able to tell us about them. Sturm's example of Doug Harvey is just a highlight of how those older player gaffe's seem to be forgotten by history. If a modern player does that (Steve Smith for example) we'd forever remember it and he'd suffer as a result.

While I can't find anything suggesting he was overmatched at any point in the playoffs, I was able to find items suggesting that he was a difference maker defensively when on the ice in the playoffs. Sports reporter Alex Yannis says in a April 28, 1988 New York Times article that "Coach Bryan Murray of the Capitals has had limited choices in his selection of defensemen for the series. Rod Langway's absence from Washington's defense, combined with an injury to Garry Galley, was more evident Tuesday night than in any other game of the series.". Later in the article he mentions that Langway "usually plays about 35 minutes a game". Averaging 35 minutes a night in the playoffs during the fast-paced offensive 80's isn't something just any player can do. It's inevitable that if you play that many minutes against the oppositions best players there might be one of two plays during a series where you make a mistake. In an earlier series against the Flyers, reporter Joe Sexton in an April 16, 1988 article suggests that Langway's presence in the lineup completely alters the team defensive effectiveness, "Much of the reason for the Capitals' dominant performance Thursday night lay in the fact that their defense was finally able to play as a healthy unit. Both Rod Langway, who had missed most of the last three games with a bruised thigh, and Scott Stevens, whose play had been hampered by a sore shoulder, were instrumental in defusing the Flyers.".

And let's not underrate this guy. Attacking his defensive acumen is the very definition of grasping at straws. This is the guy who during the highest scoring era in the NHL was able to beat out elite defensemen for the Norris and is one of the few defensemen since Orr to finish in the top 3 in Hart voting. He beat Mark Howe (20 goals, 67 points, +47) and Ray Bourque (22 goals, 73 points, +49) for the Norris in 1982-83 despite posting seemingly far inferior numbers (3 goals, 39 points, +0). That same season he finished 4th in Hart balloting. The very next season in 1983-84 he beat Paul Coffey (40 goals, 126 points, +52) and Ray Bourque (31 goals, 96 points, +51) for the Norris despite again seemingly poor numbers in comparison (9 goals, 33 points, +14). If not for a guy named Wayne Gretzky scoring 87 goals and 205 points he'd have won the Hart trophy that year. A defensive defenseman in the era were defenseman were scoring 80+ points every season was the best player in the NHL after Wayne Gretzky. Just think about that for a minute and how incredible that is. John McGourty said it best in this September 1, 2002 article on NHL.com, "Langway won the Norris Trophy as the NHL's best defender in 1982 and 1983 and is the only purely defensive defenseman to have won the award since it was first presented in 1954 to Red Kelly, who five times led all NHL defensemen in scoring.". The ONLY PURELY DEFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN in history to do that. We give these voters the benefit of the doubt for the older players so why is it OK to dismiss their thoughts just because we remember a couple possible weak moments? Voters felt that at his peak during the highest scoring era in history a defenseman who couldn't crack 40 points for the most dominant defenseman in the NHL not Paul Coffey, not Ray Bourque, not Mark Howe, not Denis Potvin, not Larry Robinson. Even in 1984-85 where he finished 3rd in Norris balloting behind Coffey and Bourque, we was still 4th in Hart voting ahead of both of them and he finished a mere 20 points behind Bourque for the 1st all-star team. He was an elite defensive defenseman in the eyes of the voters of his time and trying to use a few anecdotes about how a player might have played him tough in a series doesn't change that. He was also able to succeed on the international stage, being named a Canada Cup all-star (along with Viacheslav Fetisov) in 1984. Despite playing only 4 seasons in Montreal he was inducted into the Canadiens Hall of Fame.

Now it's no secret that player/coach quotes aren't high on my list of credible sources but that opinion isn't shared by everyone here so I'll provide a few:

"Rod’s presence made a statement to all the other teams. Nobody wanted to play against him when he was in his prime. The statement that I heard most from opponents was that he was like playing against an octopus. He had the size, the reach and the strength." - Craig Laughlin, former teammate

"Rod Langway was the prototypical defensive blueliner - a hard hitter who more often than not cleared the puck from danger. In other words he was a goaltender’s best friend, and the perfect team player." - Joe Pelletier, hockey historian

"They're the guys (along with Engblom) you want out there in the last minute of a 3-2 game because you know they're going to get the puck out." - Mike Gartner, former teammate

The Fighting Saints won't need Langway to play 35 minutes a night, which should keep him very fresh. In addition, the modern playoff schedule is far less taxing than it was in his day. Langway mentions here what a grind the playoffs were, "Back then, the playoff schedule was so tough. We played seven games in 10 nights...But I don't care what kind of body you have, your legs just don't return." A more forgiving schedule, fewer minutes, and a team that won't need him to be perfect every single night to win should more than compensate for any wear he'll take physically in the series and certainly will reduce any mistakes, real or imagined.

I'm sorry for the mini novel, but I'm getting a little tired of the attempts to try and make him look like Andreas Lilja in his own zone come playoff time. He was his teams best player, the leagues best defender in his own zone (yes, better than Bourque), and a difference maker even in the playoffs. Trying to say that one player supposedly gave him fits (still waiting for something more tangible than anecdotes) so he's suddenly vulnerable to that style is ridiculous.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
NP- "Even if you take him out for a few games, in a seven game series, he is going to single handedly win a game or two. Bure, Beliveau and Neely are the only players in this series that can dominate a single game on that level. If you think over seven games you can stop him, you're foolish."

Am I missing something about Bure? He does not have the ability to single handedly win a game or two against this D. Bure, Beliveau, and Neely? You seem to be forgetting someone. Schmidt is not nearly as far behind Beliveau as you might think and is definitely the second best forward in this series. If you think Bure can win a game by himself then Schmidt can do the same. He was for a period of time the best player in the world, Bure can not say the same. Doug Mohns can neutralize Bure enough that his care free play in his own end will make him a liability for the Saints. No single player short of Orr, Gretzky, and Lemieux are going to break our defense open. This is the best defensive team in the draft. I admit your offense is good, as is your defense and this is going to be a hell of a series, but Bure is not going to win any games by himself I can promise that.

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I've been hearing this nit-picking of Langway since the moment he was drafted and it's starting to get tedious. I've been trying to find articles or writeups or anything from his playoff runs to make the assertion that Langway was responsible for a lost series, or even a lost game and frankly I can't find anything. All due respect GBC, but when the only evidence you offer is watching "players not in Neely's class really take it to Langway" you can understand I might be a touch skeptical when I can't anything else to back that statement up. At best this is just a prime example of a player getting unfairly overanalyzed because some people may have remembered some bad plays or a bad game they watched while we turn around and pretend guys from the pre-NHL through 50s were nearly flawless because nobody has yet found something written against them. Nobody points to Tim Horton as an overrated defensive defenseman who makes occasional mistakes, but that doesn't mean it happened. We just don't have anyone who watched him able to tell us about them. Sturm's example of Doug Harvey is just a highlight of how those older player gaffe's seem to be forgotten by history. If a modern player does that (Steve Smith for example) we'd forever remember it and he'd suffer as a result.

While I can't find anything suggesting he was overmatched at any point in the playoffs, I was able to find items suggesting that he was a difference maker defensively when on the ice in the playoffs. Sports reporter Alex Yannis says in a April 28, 1988 New York Times article that "Coach Bryan Murray of the Capitals has had limited choices in his selection of defensemen for the series. Rod Langway's absence from Washington's defense, combined with an injury to Garry Galley, was more evident Tuesday night than in any other game of the series.". Later in the article he mentions that Langway "usually plays about 35 minutes a game". Averaging 35 minutes a night in the playoffs during the fast-paced offensive 80's isn't something just any player can do. It's inevitable that if you play that many minutes against the oppositions best players there might be one of two plays during a series where you make a mistake. In an earlier series against the Flyers, reporter Joe Sexton in an April 16, 1988 article suggests that Langway's presence in the lineup completely alters the team defensive effectiveness, "Much of the reason for the Capitals' dominant performance Thursday night lay in the fact that their defense was finally able to play as a healthy unit. Both Rod Langway, who had missed most of the last three games with a bruised thigh, and Scott Stevens, whose play had been hampered by a sore shoulder, were instrumental in defusing the Flyers.".

And let's not underrate this guy. Attacking his defensive acumen is the very definition of grasping at straws. This is the guy who during the highest scoring era in the NHL was able to beat out elite defensemen for the Norris and is one of the few defensemen since Orr to finish in the top 3 in Hart voting. He beat Mark Howe (20 goals, 67 points, +47) and Ray Bourque (22 goals, 73 points, +49) for the Norris in 1982-83 despite posting seemingly far inferior numbers (3 goals, 39 points, +0). That same season he finished 4th in Hart balloting. The very next season in 1983-84 he beat Paul Coffey (40 goals, 126 points, +52) and Ray Bourque (31 goals, 96 points, +51) for the Norris despite again seemingly poor numbers in comparison (9 goals, 33 points, +14). If not for a guy named Wayne Gretzky scoring 87 goals and 205 points he'd have won the Hart trophy that year. A defensive defenseman in the era were defenseman were scoring 80+ points every season was the best player in the NHL after Wayne Gretzky. Just think about that for a minute and how incredible that is. John McGourty said it best in this September 1, 2002 article on NHL.com, "Langway won the Norris Trophy as the NHL's best defender in 1982 and 1983 and is the only purely defensive defenseman to have won the award since it was first presented in 1954 to Red Kelly, who five times led all NHL defensemen in scoring.". The ONLY PURELY DEFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN in history to do that. We give these voters the benefit of the doubt for the older players so why is it OK to dismiss their thoughts just because we remember a couple possible weak moments? Voters felt that at his peak during the highest scoring era in history a defenseman who couldn't crack 40 points for the most dominant defenseman in the NHL not Paul Coffey, not Ray Bourque, not Mark Howe, not Denis Potvin, not Larry Robinson. Even in 1984-85 where he finished 3rd in Norris balloting behind Coffey and Bourque, we was still 4th in Hart voting ahead of both of them and he finished a mere 20 points behind Bourque for the 1st all-star team. He was an elite defensive defenseman in the eyes of the voters of his time and trying to use a few anecdotes about how a player might have played him tough in a series doesn't change that. He was also able to succeed on the international stage, being named a Canada Cup all-star (along with Viacheslav Fetisov) in 1984. Despite playing only 4 seasons in Montreal he was inducted into the Canadiens Hall of Fame.

Now it's no secret that player/coach quotes aren't high on my list of credible sources but that opinion isn't shared by everyone here so I'll provide a few:

"Rod’s presence made a statement to all the other teams. Nobody wanted to play against him when he was in his prime. The statement that I heard most from opponents was that he was like playing against an octopus. He had the size, the reach and the strength." - Craig Laughlin, former teammate

"Rod Langway was the prototypical defensive blueliner - a hard hitter who more often than not cleared the puck from danger. In other words he was a goaltender’s best friend, and the perfect team player." - Joe Pelletier, hockey historian

"They're the guys (along with Engblom) you want out there in the last minute of a 3-2 game because you know they're going to get the puck out." - Mike Gartner, former teammate

The Fighting Saints won't need Langway to play 35 minutes a night, which should keep him very fresh. In addition, the modern playoff schedule is far less taxing than it was in his day. Langway mentions here what a grind the playoffs were, "Back then, the playoff schedule was so tough. We played seven games in 10 nights...But I don't care what kind of body you have, your legs just don't return." A more forgiving schedule, fewer minutes, and a team that won't need him to be perfect every single night to win should more than compensate for any wear he'll take physically in the series and certainly will reduce any mistakes, real or imagined.

I'm sorry for the mini novel, but I'm getting a little tired of the attempts to try and make him look like Andreas Lilja in his own zone come playoff time. He was his teams best player, the leagues best defender in his own zone (yes, better than Bourque), and a difference maker even in the playoffs. Trying to say that one player supposedly gave him fits (still waiting for something more tangible than anecdotes) so he's suddenly vulnerable to that style is ridiculous.
I never said that Langway cost his team a game or a series. With very, very few exceptions, I don't believe that individual players cost a team a game or a series in hockey. Hockey's a team game; individual players don't cost a team a game.

My simple assertion was that Langway didn't elevate his game in the playoffs. He wasn't as airtight as some would make him out to be. I watched Washington play a lot of hockey in the 1980s. Langway was never the biggest reason the Caps lost a series. Coaching, goaltending and Mike Gartner were bigger reasons. But Langway shouldn't be immune from criticism over Washington's failure. Those Washington teams might rate among the biggest playoff chokers of all-time.

Great that Langway was the last defensive defenceman in league history to win the Norris.

(Note: To Nalyd - you've criticized Butch Bouchard for being the captain of those Montreal teams that struggled in the playoffs. What's your stance on Langway?)

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
And The Fighting Saints lack character? Beliveau is arguably the best leader in hockey history, follow that up with captains:
Danny Gare: Sabres: 77-81, Red Wings: 82-86
Syd Howe: Senators/Eagles: 33-35, Red Wings: 41-42
Bobby Holik: Thrashers: 07-present
Bob Errey: Sharks 93-95
Red Sullivan: Rangers: 57-61
Rod Langway: Capitals: 82-93
Earl Seibert: Blackhawks: 40-42
Carol Vadnias: Golden Seals: 71-72

And that's not including the character leadership of Graves, Metz, Ragulin, Smith and others.

I'm not going to slander your teams heart, but you certainly have no advantage in that department.

And any of our centers can play against Schmidt, but we like Holik because he's one of the few centers who can neutralize Schmidt's physical advantage and thusly throw him off his game.

Love to see a scoring breakdown of the '93 series, as Bure was a PPG player in the two-round playoff. And while Mohns could skate with Bure, I think you underrate how unstoppable Bure was. Even if you take him out for a few games, in a seven game series, he is going to single handedly win a game or two. Bure, Beliveau and Neely are the only players in this series that can dominate a single game on that level. If you think over seven games you can stop him, you're foolish.

I think you are massively overstating things, Doug Harvey probably had an off series here or there. No one is stating that Rod Langway can singlehandedly neutralize a threat like Neely. That said, we do think that Langway and Metz will be able to combine to give Neely a challenge he never had to face in reality.

Bure and Neely are pretty much washes offensively. Both are equally capable of tearing out their opponent's heart. Neely is more consistent, but Bure is harder to contain when he brings it. (Which is why Bure is relied on for secondary scoring. He won't be a three star every game, but when he is, he'll be 1st star.)

Please point me to the time Steve Larmer lead his line in playoff scoring? You'll find him tying Savard once. Conversely in 4 extended playoff runs, Gare leads his line once, ties twice and has one year where I assume he was on Perrault's line and played below Perrault's level.

You have Shayne Corson on your second line because Pavel Bure plays better with a guy who will drop the gloves on his line? That seems kind of odd...

The difference here is that we concede that Graves is better suited to an energy line than a scoring line, but, that Pavel Bure is, when on his game, a 1st round talent. And thus we did everything humanly possible to make Pavel Bure comfortable and effective. And a critical part of that was to get a player who would go to the corners, go to the front of the net to screen and get garbage goals and drop the gloves all while being a character guy and positive influence. Graves was the best we could do to fill that role. Corson could have filled that role except he is absolutely not a character guy and would be a proactively bad influence. (And what's more, Graves is significantly less penalized, having a 180PIM player like Corson logging 2nd line minutes just gives us more PP time. Which is another advantage the Fighting Saints have, while both the Saints and the Flyers are roughly equal when it comes to toughness, the Fighting Saints live up to their name and have one of the best toughness to penalty ratios in the ATD.) I would go so far as to say Corson has as much cancer potential as Bure has, the difference is Bure backs up his BS on the score sheet, while getting smashed and winning barroom brawls the night before game seven has no benefit to your team.

The bottom line is this. Neither Graves nor Corson belong on a 2nd line. Adam Graves absolutely belongs on the Pavel Bure Line. Shayne Corson just flat out doesn't belong on a second line.

I'm not going to disrespect Tom Gorman as I'm not a hypocrite. That said, tomorrow I'm going to focus on my team and our strategy (and why home ice advantage will break the RCAF Flyers.) and while doing that I will explain why Burns is not nearly as far behind Gorman as you seem to think.

Alexei Yashin wore a C. Doesn't make him a high-character player. I respond Holik's character - we wouldn't have considered him for a letter on our team - but the fact that he was the captain of Atlanta means nothing to me. Same thing with Errey in San Jose. Respect his character, but I don't care if he was a captain for two seasons in San Jose.

You really, really underestimate Milt Schmidt if you think he isn't a game-breaker. He is absolutely a game-breaker. Twice a point-per-game when it was incredibly difficult. Two other times he came close when it was incredibly difficult.

Corson's on our second line for the same reason that Adam Graves is on your second line. Provide toughness, open up room for his linemates, work hard,

You'd be surprised at our combination of toughness and discipline. Bucyk played tough. Won two Lady Byngs, too. Schmidt was a physical and clean player. So was McPhee. So was Skov. (One season in the top 10 for PIMs). Corson only had one season in the top 10 of PIMs, too, for what it's worth. And look at our defence. Robinson, Mohns, Harris and Day all played the tough physical game. They combined to have one top-10 finish in PIMs in their career - Day was No. 8 in 1928-29. We aren't going to spend a lot of time in the penalty box, either. And we have terrific penalty killing when we are in the box.

On the Bucyk playoff front: keep in mind that in his first year, he was an early season call-up. Almost half the games you mentioned were in his first two years. I guess you expect more than three points in 15 games for a guy who had 30 points in 104 games. Don't know why he didn't have a big playoff in 1958 (it was his breakthrough year), but he did have six points in seven games the following year. Six points in seven games in the O6 was pretty impressive. I'll give you a bottom line argument: Bucyk was a point-per-game player in the playoffs post-expansion. I'm really not concerned if he had two points in 10 games as a 20-year-old rookie in 56. At his peak, with the exception of his breakthrough year, he delivered in the playoffs.

Larmer was a point-per-game player in the playoffs until the last couple years. And even then, he still finished darn close to a point-per-game for his career. Whether or not he was second in team scoring four times is of secondary importance. I care whether or not he delivered. He played in a pretty similar era as Gare - good playoff numbers were very attainable for both Gare and Larmer - but Larmer was a lot closer to a point-per-game.

We're looking forward to the argument that Minnesota's home ice advantage will "break us." And I'm looking forward to shooting it down. Sort of like I did with your Bucyk "effort."

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
How can home ice advantage break a team that isn't interested in playing a matchup game? We're just going to roll four lines, all of which, as Nalyd has said two or three times, could be considered checking lines. If you're going to play that third line against the BBB line you're just going to be limiting your scoring chances. I really don't understand how home ice is going to change this.

And what's up with everyone completely ignoring Schmidt? He's the second biggest forward in the series by a large margin and quite possibly the most complete player.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
This is clearly the second round's Toronto vs Kingston ;)

Fantastic teams with mediocre (in an ATD context) and game breaking forwards. I'm still listening intently to the arguments. I don't think either team will give an inch. It's a facinating series. I don't think any one player will decide it. Minnesota has the best forward in the series by far, but Robinson I think is a significant advantage on Robinson. Coaching I'd give to Ottawa, but Burns is hardly a slouch. Minnesota has more of a second line threat, but Ottawa has four lines built to shut teams down. It's a hard hard series.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Bucyk - Schmidt - Neely
Robinson - Day

...is an awful lot of offensive talent together on one unit. Bucyk is really the support player on that line and I think in that role he's fine, and will get his points. What an epic physical battle this series will be.

Based on your comments about Ezinicki vs. Bucyk, I assume that you're planning on matching the Minnesota 3rd line against Ottawa's 1st line. You have home-ice advantage and Burns is a strong X's-and-O's coach, so I don't see any problems there, but how much icetime are you planning on giving the 3rd line? You can't match them against the BBB line on every shift without doing your scoringlines a real injustice. Danny Gare was a pretty good 2-way player in his own right (one of the reasons you drafted him, I'm sure) and although he gives up a lot of size to Bucyk, you might be better off just letting him do his best against Bucyk and not taking away shifts from your scoringlines.

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think GBC and raleh are planning on line-matching in this series, and rightfully so. Line-matching is an ATD phenomenon that is quickly becoming unfashionable for a good reason. It is certainly useful in some situations to throw a line of shutdown forwards on the ice, but as an overall, shift-to-shift strategy, it has been pretty often overrated in this forum.

The way I see it is this, line to line 100% of the time match-ups are foolish. But, to take an advantage like last line change and not use it is even more foolish. Will Metz-Holik-Ezinicki be on the ice every moment the Big Bad Bruins are? No. Will Langway and Seibert? Yes. Will Nick Metz? Yes. Here's some info on the 1942 comeback:
Joe Pelletier's Greatest Hockey Legends said:
Benched players included Gord Drillon, and Bucko McDonald. Picking up the slack was Gaye Stewart and, most notably, Don Metz. Metz took's Drillon's spot on the top line. That line also featured brother Nick Metz on the opposite wing.

Centering the Metzs was the outstanding Syl Apps. He tied the NHL record of 14 points in a post-season. He would score 7 points in the finals, including a 2 goal, 5 point night in game 5 against the Wings.
ESPN: The greatest collapses in sports history said:
Detroit led the series 3-0, and led in the fourth game 3-2 with 15 minutes left. But the Leafs, with goals by Syl Apps and Nick Metz in the waning minutes, pulled out the win, and eventually came back to tie the series at 3 games apiece.

Detroit then managed to turn victory into defeat in Game 7 at Maple Leafs Garden. They led 1-0 going into the third period, but surrendered three goals in a 10-minute span to lose the game, the series and the Stanley Cup, and win a permanent place in the record books.
So, based on the info I've gathered, it looks like Nick Metz played a major role in the most significant on ice turnaround in a Stanley Cup final series ever. So I have no problem giving him big minutes. Generally speaking, elite defensive forwards get big minutes, and Metz is the best defensive forward in this series.

After that, what becomes critically important is the when and why of who matches against who when. For example, Red Sullivan can't shutdown Schmidt and he can't physically control Schmidt, but, he can piss of Schmidt. He can make Schmidt take bad penalties, but not if we over play our hand. So, what do we want? We want to choose when Sullivan gets to play Schmidt, we want them to meet in the 3rd period, when the Flyers are down and Schmidt is frazzled and desperate. And right then and there, we want to make the Flyers glorious leader snap and lose his cool. Sullivan can do that.

Sometimes it will be Metz-Holik-Ezinicki. Sometimes Metz-Beliveau-Gare, sometimes Metz-Sullivan-Kallur. Heck, maybe sometimes we'll get more creative and have Howe-Beliveau-Kallur. But what matters is, this. We have home ice advantage. We control the when and we make sure to know the when. We will use home ice advantage to systematically control match-ups to break the Flyers. And we will succeed. We have to much diversity in our line-up for anything else to happen.

The logic is this:
Bucyk-Schmidt-Neely
Robinson-Day
Is an offensively potent unit, no if ands or buts about it.

But, after that all the Flyers have are players who need star players on their line to succeed, and no stars to guide them.

The Flyers need the Big Bad unit to score a large percentage of their goals. The Fighting Saints match-up too well to not significantly reduce their output. Thus, we neuter their offensive game.

What's more, yeah, all of the Flyers lines are strong defensively. That means we have no lulls to exploit. The flipside is, it means the Flyers have players with no purpose. We'll gladly send Martin-Beliveau-Gare against Corson-Lemaire-Larmer. They certainly aren't better defensively than the Flyers other lines, so there's no harm on our end. But for the Flyers if their only thing resembling secondary scoring is too busy trying to contain our line, where will the offense come from? What role do the Flyers bottom two lines play? They are empty filler lines, not able to pick up the slack offensively and no one to try and check. Go ahead and shutdown Sullivan and Kallur. And if anyone thinks McPhee or Morrow pose much of a threat to Bure, they're fooling themself.

And that's the next point. With the Beliveau line scoring at roughly the same clip no matter who they face. The Metz line giving the Big Bad Bruins a smothering they'll never forget. Where does that leave the Bure line? Exactly where they want to be. No one on the Flyers can contain Bure for long and we'll pick and chose the most tired lines to match him up against. Our secondary scoring cannot be worked around like the Flyers can, that is why we will win.

And then the other advantage is, power plays. Both teams are equally tough, but the Flyers will take more penalties. The Fighting Saints Power Play will be a deciding factor in winning the series for Minnesota.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
This is clearly the second round's Toronto vs Kingston ;)

Fantastic teams with mediocre (in an ATD context) and game breaking forwards. I'm still listening intently to the arguments. I don't think either team will give an inch. It's a facinating series. I don't think any one player will decide it. Minnesota has the best forward in the series by far, but Robinson I think is a significant advantage on Robinson. Coaching I'd give to Ottawa, but Burns is hardly a slouch. Minnesota has more of a second line threat, but Ottawa has four lines built to shut teams down. It's a hard hard series.

Robinson is a significant advantage on himself? ;)

I agree with you mullin, I quoted your post because it's the only short one. :) I'm not going to add much, I'll let the four GM's continue their novel, but this has to be the closest series for me. Not really much to seperate both teams, it's a shame one of them has to go out this round, because both teams are capable of winning their division, IMO.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Well I'd hope that Ottawa's #1 defenseman would have an edge over our #2. Of course, if you want to compare Robinson to our #1 I'll gladly provide some evidence that Earl Seibert is elite in his own right and not as far behind Robinson as you might think.

Did you pick Seibert first? It's a pretty good 1A 1B anyway. I think Robinson is going to have a distinct advantage over either guy... but that's no slight on them. Robinson is one of the best in the draft. Langway and Seibert are a great pairing.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
The way I see it is this, line to line 100% of the time match-ups are foolish. But, to take an advantage like last line change and not use it is even more foolish. Will Metz-Holik-Ezinicki be on the ice every moment the Big Bad Bruins are? No. Will Langway and Seibert? Yes. Will Nick Metz? Yes. Here's some info on the 1942 comeback:

So, based on the info I've gathered, it looks like Nick Metz played a major role in the most significant on ice turnaround in a Stanley Cup final series ever. So I have no problem giving him big minutes. Generally speaking, elite defensive forwards get big minutes, and Metz is the best defensive forward in this series.

After that, what becomes critically important is the when and why of who matches against who when. For example, Red Sullivan can't shutdown Schmidt and he can't physically control Schmidt, but, he can piss of Schmidt. He can make Schmidt take bad penalties, but not if we over play our hand. So, what do we want? We want to choose when Sullivan gets to play Schmidt, we want them to meet in the 3rd period, when the Flyers are down and Schmidt is frazzled and desperate. And right then and there, we want to make the Flyers glorious leader snap and lose his cool. Sullivan can do that.

Sometimes it will be Metz-Holik-Ezinicki. Sometimes Metz-Beliveau-Gare, sometimes Metz-Sullivan-Kallur. Heck, maybe sometimes we'll get more creative and have Howe-Beliveau-Kallur. But what matters is, this. We have home ice advantage. We control the when and we make sure to know the when. We will use home ice advantage to systematically control match-ups to break the Flyers. And we will succeed. We have to much diversity in our line-up for anything else to happen.

The logic is this:
Bucyk-Schmidt-Neely
Robinson-Day
Is an offensively potent unit, no if ands or buts about it.

But, after that all the Flyers have are players who need star players on their line to succeed, and no stars to guide them.

The Flyers need the Big Bad unit to score a large percentage of their goals. The Fighting Saints match-up too well to not significantly reduce their output. Thus, we neuter their offensive game.

What's more, yeah, all of the Flyers lines are strong defensively. That means we have no lulls to exploit. The flipside is, it means the Flyers have players with no purpose. We'll gladly send Martin-Beliveau-Gare against Corson-Lemaire-Larmer. They certainly aren't better defensively than the Flyers other lines, so there's no harm on our end. But for the Flyers if their only thing resembling secondary scoring is too busy trying to contain our line, where will the offense come from? What role do the Flyers bottom two lines play? They are empty filler lines, not able to pick up the slack offensively and no one to try and check. Go ahead and shutdown Sullivan and Kallur. And if anyone thinks McPhee or Morrow pose much of a threat to Bure, they're fooling themself.

And that's the next point. With the Beliveau line scoring at roughly the same clip no matter who they face. The Metz line giving the Big Bad Bruins a smothering they'll never forget. Where does that leave the Bure line? Exactly where they want to be. No one on the Flyers can contain Bure for long and we'll pick and chose the most tired lines to match him up against. Our secondary scoring cannot be worked around like the Flyers can, that is why we will win.

And then the other advantage is, power plays. Both teams are equally tough, but the Flyers will take more penalties. The Fighting Saints Power Play will be a deciding factor in winning the series for Minnesota.
Again, you really show you don't have a clue about Milt Schmidt. Schmidt didn't take bad penalties. He played a tough, physical game, but he played a clean game. You're more likely to see Beliveau take a bad penalty than Schmidt. Schmidt's career high PIM total was 57. There goes one strategy out the window.

You talk about Ottawa taking more penalties. Prove it. You have guys who play a tough but clean game? So do we. And one of our guys did it while winning two Lady Byng Trophies. This is not the GBC/raleh entry of the last draft. But here's the beautiful thing: we can trot out five effective PK duos up front, with guys like Larmer, Lemaire, Russell, McPhee, Merrick and Corson, and every one of our defencemen can kill penalties very effectively.

And you really underestimate Lemaire. Lemaire was not just Lafleur's lackey. He isn't just a complimentary offensive player. With his speed, his shot and his smarts, he can generate offence in this thing. You leave Lemaire alone, he will burn you. And he's got a pretty good gunner on his right wing.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
What a great discussion in this series. This is what makes the ATD great. Assorted comments:

- I don't buy the criticism of Langway's playoff performances; it seems like nitpicking to me. Saying that a defensive defenseman "didn't raise his play" in the postseason is pretty easy because no statistical argument can be made to disprove (or prove) it, and is extremely subjective, at any rate. I was not a fan of the teams for which Langway played so take my recollection with a grain of salt, but I can't remember ever hearing criticism of Langway's postseason performances.

- I have the impression that Milt Schmidt played anything but a clean game, but was good at getting away with little fouls, at any rate. In his Legends bio, Schmidt jokingly says that he would put himself out of the running for the Lady Byng on the first shift of the first game of the season and is called at another point "a dirty little player". This was not a clean player, but also not a heavily penalized one, which I count in Milt's favor. Chippiness is great, even better if it goes unpenalized. I have a high opinion of Schmidt, and think he's bar none the second best forward in this series.

- Doug Mohns is a good 2-way #3, in my opinion. He was never a postseason all-star, but played in 7 all-star games despite never winning a Cup, which gives me the impression that he had something of a Zubov-like career in which he was never really elite, but consistently a top-10 defenseman in the league for a long time. I do not, however, think much of Bill Barilko as a #4. Even if his career had been longer, I'm not convinced he's really a 2nd pairing ATD talent. He seems to have been a solid though unspectacular 2nd pairing defenseman during his career and I don't have the impression that he was ever anything close to a dominant player. If not for the historical oddity of his career (playing for the dynasty Leafs, scoring that goal and then promptly dying), I don't know if he'd be remembered well enough to draft in an ATD, at all, nevermind as a 2nd pairing defenseman. Take Bill Barilko the player out of the context in which he played and he is profoundly forgettable.

Mohns is going to push the puck a lot and can only cover his half of the ice, at any rate. Although I'm not a fan of Adam Graves on a 2nd line, the Howe-Bure combo looks dangerous in the counterattack against that Ottawa second pairing. I can't see the Minnesota 2nd line being particularly successful on the cycle, but I do think it's a line that can score goals very suddenly. Of course, the RCAF 2nd line is going to be better in halfcourt offense and I'm not in love with Ivanov's defensive abilities, either. It's an interesting secondary scoring matchup.

Nalyd Psycho said:
The way I see it is this, line to line 100% of the time match-ups are foolish. But, to take an advantage like last line change and not use it is even more foolish.

Of course, but many coaches use last line change to get the best offensive matchups they can find, rather than the other way around. Also, the rules change prohibiting line changes for a team that ices the puck have made defensive line matching that much harder in recent years and shutdown lines less valuable because they can no longer bail a team out as easily as in the past.

All coaches try to exploit line changes to their advantage. Many do it here and there as opportunities arise, but for some, it is a systematic part of the gameplan. There is nothing wrong with trying to get your top checking forwards on the ice against the opposition's best scorers at certain points in the game, but the point here is that the way we've evaluated these matchups in the ATD has been often grossly oversimplified in the past. I've seen a lot of analysis of matchups that basically says:

"3rd line vs. 1st line - my shutdown forwards will give your scorers fits"

...and people seem to accept that this matchup will occur every time the relevant players step on the ice, which is patently untrue, even if the team icing the shutdown line was willing to give that unit 1st line minutes. Forward vs. forward matchups are much more fluid in the course of a game than we've made them out to be, and I think the paint-by-numbers view of how defensive forwards can be employed in a playoff series explains, in large part, why many of them remain quite overrated as players.

The most valuable "defensive forwards" are the guys who can be used without recourse to line matching - the Bob Gaineys and Claude Provosts of the hockey world who are competent complementary scoringline players in addition to their checking prowess. If you plan to use Nick Metz in that role for this series, then one can assume that you'll get your preferred matchup with some frequency. What Metz does for the offensive output of the lines in question is another matter.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
I've been waiting for NP to post the gameplan (didn't want to steal his thunder) so I could get to work doing what I do best. Let the deconstruction begin.....

Is this somehow an implication that your team has more "heart"? Are you trying to suggest the Fighting Saints lack leadership? I'm not sure what point you are trying to prove here, but the Saints have players who have proven to have tons of "heart" and some of the games outstanding leaders. Beliveau's leadership really needs no mention. Langway's leadership simply can't be questioned, either in the NHL or internationally. I can provide several quotes to that if you doubt it. Metz was a leader on one of only two teams to win a series after going down 3-0. Ragulin was a leader on teams with enormous pressure to win. Guys like Graves, Gare, Errey, Baker, and Howe all provided leadership for teams. There is no lack of "heart" or leadership on this team. Several players on our roster were parts of some of the greatest upsets and comebacks in NHL history. Any edge you feel you might have is slight at best, and if you consider home-ice advantage to be trivial than your perceived miniscule edge in leadership won't even register on an electron microscope as far as series-determining factors.

None of your lines will be dominated by the Beliveau line, but if you all 4 of them would be equally effective against it you are mistaken. NP has already covered this.

Doug Mohns can neutralize Pavel Bure? Really? Firstly, your claims that Bure "struggled in the playoffs" make me scratch my head. When exactly did this struggling occur? The guy scored at least a point-per-game in every playoff year except his rookie season (where he scored 6 goals and 10 points in 13 games). You dismiss criticism of Johnny Bucyk's playoff results claiming it was his first two season, yet you say Bure was shut down in his sophomore campaign and that's a strike against him? As a 21 year old he scored 12 points in 12 games during the 1993 playoffs so I don't think anyone really shut him down that season. This is a guy who averaged over 1 goal every 2 games in his playoff career. That's not a type of track record ANYONE is going to neutralize. You can try to contain and minimize it, but you can't shut it down completely. Let's also remember all but 4 games of his playoff career occured well before his prime from the ages 20-23 so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that had he been on playoff teams during his prime years his goals-per-game numbers might even be better. I don't care how fast you think Diesel is, one mistake or fumbled puck is all it takes to spring Bure. Just ask Ray Bourque what happens when you make one tiny mistake with Bure on the ice. Here's another clip showing just how incredible his speed is in a footrace with Brian Leetch in the 1994 playoffs, and pulling away even. Bure could score against anyone, and Doug Mohns isn't going to be the first to "neutralize" Pavel Bure.

Even when he's not scoring he elevates the level of his teams play. In a November 29, 1999 column in The Sporting News, Larry Wigge claims "You don't calculate Bure's value to South Florida on a per-game basis. Even when he's not in the lineup, there's an aura of Pavelmania in the Panthers locker room. You can feel it. ". What is Pavelmania exactly though? Teammate Rob Niedermayer describes it as "It's sort of like just being in the building with Michael Jordan. There's just a special sort of feeling in the air.". Neidermayer explains how this affects the team "He works just as hard at practice as he does in the games. You constantly judge your improvement to his level of play. And even when he's not around, you find yourself doing those same things to get better.". Panthers coach Terry Murray said "Pavel has made an impression on every player on our roster.". Teammate Ray Whitney said "When he has the puck, it brings people out of their seats--and he brings us to our feet on the bench. There aren't many players in hockey who can do that.". Even opposing coaches noticed how Bure's presence elevated the play of his entire team:
"You can see the confidence on their faces when Pavel is around," Penguins coach Kevin Constantine says. "Give him an inch, and he'll find an opening and either score the winner or set it up."
Pavel Bure simply make everyone on his team better, whether he's on the ice or off it.

This is a team that doesn't have a ton of WOW playoff years, but we built them to be consistent. You know exactly what you'll get from every player on the team. There isn't any boom-or-bust player that can sink the team with a bad series. Everyone is simply consistent, and consistently productive.

My simple assertion was that Langway didn't elevate his game in the playoffs. He wasn't as airtight as some would make him out to be. I watched Washington play a lot of hockey in the 1980s. Langway was never the biggest reason the Caps lost a series. Coaching, goaltending and Mike Gartner were bigger reasons. But Langway shouldn't be immune from criticism over Washington's failure. Those Washington teams might rate among the biggest playoff chokers of all-time.

Again, this is all fine and dandy but can you find anything from a source out there to corroborate this? Any other hockey historian or player or coach or book or ANYTHING calling him overrated or unable to elevate his game in the playoffs? I respect your opinion GBC, but in the battle of an ATD you'll have to forgive me for wanting more than just that in this case.

You'd be surprised at our combination of toughness and discipline. Bucyk played tough. Won two Lady Byngs, too. Schmidt was a physical and clean player. So was McPhee. So was Skov. (One season in the top 10 for PIMs). Corson only had one season in the top 10 of PIMs, too, for what it's worth. And look at our defence. Robinson, Mohns, Harris and Day all played the tough physical game. They combined to have one top-10 finish in PIMs in their career - Day was No. 8 in 1928-29. We aren't going to spend a lot of time in the penalty box, either. And we have terrific penalty killing when we are in the box.

Not being in the top 10 only proves a player isn't one of the leagues most penalized, but it doesn't change the fact that they take penalties at a high clip. Cam Neely averaged almost 1 penalty per game in his career. Shayne Corson averaged more than 1 penalty per game in his career. Glev Skov actually had a quite a few seasons of high PIM numbers when you consider he was a 3rd/4th liner and had totals comparable to Gordie Howe on the same team. Brenden Morrow averages a penalty every 1.5 games. Blair Russell actually had several times where he averaged 1 penalty per game or more. Bill Barilko averaged close to 1 penalty per game in his short career. You lineup features alot of players who aren't dirty, but have proven to be prone to penalties throughout their careers and I see no reason why any of that would change now.

How can home ice advantage break a team that isn't interested in playing a matchup game? We're just going to roll four lines, all of which, as Nalyd has said two or three times, could be considered checking lines. If you're going to play that third line against the BBB line you're just going to be limiting your scoring chances. I really don't understand how home ice is going to change this.

Whether you like to admit it or not, having a Metz-Langway-Seibert trio on the ice at all times against your BBB is a big factor. Some teams have the offensive trio of doom. We have a defensive trio that's hard to beat. Those three will slow down your Bruins. Since we aren't line matching either in this series, it won't affect our scoring one bit. Metz will also bounce between the Beliveau and Holik lines at times, both of which can matchup defensively with your top line.

The biggest factor is Pavel Bure. You talk about trying to have Mohns out against him all the time, but 4 times in a 7 game series we'll be able to avoid that matchup part of the time if we so choose. We can toss him out there after an icing against a tired defensive squad and let him use his speed and skating to it's fullest.

Pat Burns in a great X's and O's coach who creates strong defensive schemes. He's the type of coach who can use that home-ice advantage to its fullest potential over the coarse of 7 games.

And what's up with everyone completely ignoring Schmidt? He's the second biggest forward in the series by a large margin and quite possibly the most complete player.

I'm assuming by second biggest you don't mean size, because he isn't in that case. He a strong player and good 1st liner in the ATD without a doubt. His accolades are impressive. But he's no Jean Beliveau. They aren't even in the same class and if you are trying to insinutate that the matchup between them is even you are way off. He won the Art Ross, but was only top 10 in scoring 4 other times (4th twice and 10th twice). He was top 10 in goals 3 times (2nd, 6th, 9th) and assists 4 times (1st, 3rd, 4th twice). All this while playing a physical game. A very strong resume indeed. But still not in the same league as Believeau. Jean also has an Art Ross, but was top 10 in scoring 11 other times as well. Let's just straight compare them:

Top 10 Scoring - Beliveau 12-5
Top 5 Scoring - Beliveau 8-3
Top 3 Scoring - Beliveau 7-1
Scoring Leader - Tied 1-1

Top 10 Goals - Beliveau 10-3
Top 5 Goals - Beliveau 7-1
Top 3 Goals - Beliveau 6-1
Goal Leader - Beliveau 2-0

Top 10 Assists - Beliveau 11-4
Top 5 Assists - Beliveau 7-4
Top 3 Assists - Beliveau 6-2
Assist Leader - Beliveau 2-1

Beliveau was also an excellent defensive player and a physical player as well. At 6'3" 205lbs he'd be big in today's NHL and was towering in his era. His accomplishments were against some of the best top-end talent in NHL history as well. Schmidt never won a scoring title competing against Howe, both Richards, Lindsay, Bathgate, Geoffrion, or Dickie Moore. I love Milt Schmidt and think he's very underrated by most people here, but let's not go overboard with this guy. He's not Beliveau's equal, or even peer. He's a clear step below.

Let's not forget Schmidt had a few clunker playoff seasons as well, so he's not immune to criticism in the playoffs.

Ok, running out of steam for now. I'll have to pick this up again tomorrow after some sleep.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad