ATD #9 Discussion & Announcements

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
What about a compromise.....

To avoid any potential voting influence, I won't post the totals until after the conclusion of the first two rounds. By then I doubt the final 4 teams vote totals will matter to any of the voters.

Once the ATD is complete, if the consensus wishes, I'll post the complete voting breakdown for each division. By this I mean how many 1st/2nd/3rd/etc. votes each team received.

Individual ballots will remain secret now and forever more. Unless you can hack my PC and snatch the file off it remotely (good luck, I'm a network admin in a past life) or you can steal thoughts directly from my brain you'll never know how anyone voted. If it makes anyone feel better, I have a digest-and-dump memory which means once the ATD is over I'll be lucky if I can still remember the names of all the GMs (I'm not even joking).

Last edited:

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Meh, up to you, but I don't see any point of waiting. It's not going to influence anyone. I vote for the complete breakdown right now, but meh, you'll be the one doing the work, and if you feel that your reasoning makes sense (I don't think this sentence makes sense, but meh) then we'll just have to wait, which is fine.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It's your choice. I'm all in favor of voting quirks (like, 6 GM placed the Wanderers 1st in the René Lecavalier, but all the other ones placed them either 7th or 8th, thus giving them the 4th seed... or... whatever). Doesn't have to be team-specific. Actually, pitseleh posted some pretty good excerpts from BM's work.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I found another site with some pretty cool old pictures:

http://www.uniwatchblog.com/category/nhl/

Ching Johnson's facemask makes him look he has a gnarly neck beard.

Man Bobby Hull was built:

2316340495_80316789f9_o.jpg

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
We have never posted vote totals before and there's no reason to do it now.

It only cheapens the process.

The voting is to determine seedings in order to set match-ups: discussing two teams going head to head is where our focus should be be, not backward looking at votes.

Forget it. Let's just move on.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Can we just send our picks for the winners, or do we have to do this 3-star deal for every series too?

Regarding point totals: what's the big deal? I personally don't care either way, but surely we're all mature enough to deal with the results. As mentioned earlier, if we're worried about influencing voting, then we should only post the matchups without stating which series are 1 vs. 8 or which ones are 4 vs. 5.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Can we just send our picks for the winners, or do we have to do this 3-star deal for every series too?

Regarding point totals: what's the big deal? I personally don't care either way, but surely we're all mature enough to deal with the results. As mentioned earlier, if we're worried about influencing voting, then we should only post the matchups without stating which series are 1 vs. 8 or which ones are 4 vs. 5.

I think the only requirement is that you vote for who you feel will win the series and how many games it will be (that's the tiebreaker). The others can correct me if I'm wrong but I think voting for the 3 stars is optional.

The points debate is probably something to be discussed after ATD #9 is complete to see if we want to chance the process for ATD #10. I wouldn't be against posting the matchups without seed numbers as well, but again that's a matter for discussion for the next draft. If I can find the time (I've extended myself a bit thin lately because I never say no lol) I'm hoping to formalize a short list of ATD Rules & Procedures that can be sent out to every GM before each draft. That might be overkill, but I think it would help answer alot of the questions the seem to pop up.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
votes should all be open to the public imo

openess will keep corruptness to a minimun

I think this would accomplish the opposite, actually.

If we maintain our current process (secret ballots), it's impossible for two GMs to conspire. Suppose one GM tells me "I'll vote for your team if you vote for mine"*. Even if I were to agree to this offer, he'd have no way of proving, either during or after the draft, that he actually voted for my team. Similarly, I'd have no way of proving that I voted for his team. Hypothetically, I could tell both opponents in a single series that I planned on voting for them, so I'd get two votes in my team's favour while screwing over another GM! However, since we have secret ballots, it's impossible for anybody to know for certain if any "arrangements" are being kept, so there's much less incentive to make deals.

Even if the votes were public, and "suspicious" similarities were found, that doesn't prove corruption. I've voted for Pitseleh's teams in most series in prior drafts. He's probably voted for my team fairly often. That's not because there's any corruption, it's because we have fairly similar philosophies/styles, so that means we're likely to have a favourable opinion about each other's teams.

Corruption is a very difficult issue to tackle. Disclosing the votes will do very little in terms of proving corruption, and, if anything, it will make it easier for two GMs to create and enforce "deals".

* It's worth mentioning that no GM has ever asked me this in any ATD or MLD.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
A note on voting.....

I found out the 3 stars are used as a final tiebreaker, as well as determining the eventual playoff MVP. As such I highly encourage everyone to include their 3 star selections for every series, but will not require it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad