ATD #9 Bob Cole Quarterfinal: #3 Kingston RMC Paladins vs. #6 Toronto Maple Leafs

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Kingston RMC Paladins
coaches: Viktor Tikhonov, Arkady Chernyshev
captain: Mario Lemieux
alternates: Steve Yzerman, Dick Irvin, Sr.

Sid Smith - Mario Lemieux (C) - Bobby Bauer
John Leclair - Steve Yzerman (A) - Ace Bailey
George Hay - Dick Irvin, Sr. (A) - Tony Leswick
Ven Alexandrov - Alex Almetov - Konstantin Loktev
Jozef Golonka

Ken Reardon - Doug Wilson
Larry Murphy - Jim Neilson
Vas Pervukhin - Zin Bilyaletdinov
Harry Westwick

Grant Fuhr
Mike Vernon

PP1: John Leclair - Mario Lemieux - Bobby Bauer - Larry Murphy - Doug Wilson
PP2: Ven Alexandrov - Alex Almetov - Konstantin Loktev - Vas Pervukhin - Zin Bilyaletdinov

PK1: Steve Yzerman - Tony Leswick - Ken Reardon - Jim Neilson
PK2: Dick Irvin Sr. - A.C. Bailey - Doug Wilson - Larry Murphy

Toronto Maple Leafs
Coach: Punch Imlach
Captain:Tedder Kennedy
Assistant:Scott Stevens
Assistant:Gary Roberts
Assistant:Mats Sundin
Assistant:George Armstrong

#7 Gary Roberts---#13 Mats Sundin------#22 Rick Vaive
#14 Stu Barnes ----- #11-Murray Oliver---#12 Peter Bondra
#25 Patrik Elias----#9 Teeder Kennedy ---- #10 George Armstrong
#18 Bob Davidson---#25 Peter Zezel------#11 Bob Nevin
#71 Evgeni Malkin

#4 Scott Stevens---#4 Rob Blake
#21 Bobby Baun---#33 Al Iafrate
#18 Garth Boesch --#15 Tomas Kaberle
#2 Ian Turnbull

#30 Martin Brodeur
#31 Curtis Joseph
#1 Frank McCool

Power play Units
Squad 1
#25 Patrik Elias----#9 Tedder Kennedy---#12 Peter Bondra/#14 Stu Barnes

Squad 2
#7 Gary Roberts---#13 Mats Sundin------#22 Rick Vaive/#71 Evgeni Malkin
#2 Ian Turnbull--#15 Tomas Kaberle

Penalty kill Units
Squad 1
#18 Bob Davidson---#11-Murray Oliver-----#10 George Armstrong
#4 Scott Stevens---#4 Rob Blake/#13 Mats Sundin

Squad 2
#14 Stu Barnes -----#25 Peter Zezel------#11 Bob Nevin
#21 Bobby Baun---#18 Garth Boesch/#15 Tomas Kaberle​

Last edited:

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
I should be able to beat a 2 line team:)

#7 Gary Roberts---#13 Mats Sundin---#12 Peter Bondra
#25 Patrik Elias----#9 Teeder Kennedy-----#22 Rick Vaive
#14 Stu Barnes ----- #11-Murray Oliver---- #10 George Armstrong
#18 Bob Davidson---#25 PeterZezel------#11 Bob Nevin
#71 Evgeni Malkin

#2 Ian Turnbull

#30 Martin Brodeur
#31 Curtis Joseph
#1 Frank McCool​

Before you vote you shoudl read this entire thread.

Russians from the 1960s were the equivalent to todays echl/ahl.

In this thread I will prove defense wins, toughness wins, great coaching wins and the team that can lay the body more will win.

That plus my teams great offense which produced 4500 goals and 11,400 points

It's well rounded team with the majority of the players being great 2 way threats!

I really do beleive that thes is the worst team ever put together by my 2 long time co-gms.While this is my best team. My team is better and its major league.

Last edited:

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site

2 Lines > 0 Lines :)

Brief breakdown while I am at work

Forwards - Advantage Kingston. 1-2 punch of Lemieux Yzerman best in the draft. Somewhat weak on the wings but the advantage up the middle makes up for that... plus I don't see a great deal of offensive potential from Toronto, a lot of players that seem out of place in my opinion (Barnes, Roberts and Vaive to be specific)

Defense - Advantage Toronto. Better top end defensemen and better defensive forwards.

Goal - Advantage Toronto. Brodeur proves it every year that he is one of the best of all time. Fuhr is money in the playoffs but not quite at the level of Broduer in my opinion.

Coaching - Huge Advantage Toronto. Both dicks but Toronto has less of a dick... in a good way

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
2 Lines > 0 Lines :)

Brief breakdown while I am at work

Forwards - Advantage Kingston. 1-2 punch of Lemieux Yzerman best in the draft. Somewhat weak on the wings but the advantage up the middle makes up for that... plus I don't see a great deal of offensive potential from Toronto, a lot of players that seem out of place in my opinion

Leaf Landers team only got 11,400 points 4500 goals vs tehre only 2 forwards marios has 1723 and yzermans 1755 points they each got
yzerman has 692 goals marios had 690 goals

Edge leafs by 8000 points plus 2100 extra goals

Defense - Advantage Toronto. Better top end defensemen and better defensive forwards.-Defense wins!

Goal - Advantage Toronto. Brodeur proves it every year that he is one of the best of all time. Fuhr is money in the playoffs but not quite at the level of Broduer in my opinion.

Coaching - Huge Advantage Toronto. Both dicks but Toronto has less of a dick... in a good way

Sundin and Teeder are no slouches.Teeder lead his team to 4 cups!

I also changed my rosters allignment about a few weeks ago.
FF probably never saw the updated roster.

Defence wins. Everybody knows that.

You do have a huge advantage I am the GM of my team and i dont fair well with the voting delegates;)

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Kingston fourth line is one of the greatest lines in Soviet history (details tomorrow).
Hay and Irvin together played amateur and won together as professional linemates (details tomorrow) playing here with Tony Leswick, the guy renowned for repeatedly effectively checking Gordie Howe and Rocket Richard, two of the greatest wingers of all time.

Toronto also has skilled third and fourth liners, with Zezel-Nevin and Elias-Kennedy skating.

The one interesting factor will be Stevens' hitting vs. Reardon's rough and tumble play.

Last edited:

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
when i think of soviet greats

dont come to mind!

Now lets look atwhere you drafted these so-called greats

760 Kingston RMC Paladins Venjamin Alexandrov LW
761 Kingston RMC Paladins Alexander Almetov C
762 Kingston RMC Paladins Konstantin Loktev RW

highly sought after players i must say:)

768 was the last pick of the draft!

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
when i think of soviet greats

dont come to mind!

Now lets look atwhere you drafted these so-called greats

760 Kingston RMC Paladins Venjamin Alexandrov LW
761 Kingston RMC Paladins Alexander Almetov C
762 Kingston RMC Paladins Konstantin Loktev RW

highly sought after players i must say:)

768 was the last pick of the draft!
That's what I was thinking. VanI, do you have some articles or some statistics to backup your statement?

LapierreSports

Mar 9, 2007
Montreal
I am the GM of my team and i dont fair well with the voting delegates;)[/QUOTE]

Thats because alot of the GM's are from the west coast !!

LapierreSports

Mar 9, 2007
Montreal
Offense:Complete advantage to Kingston, altough I really like Teeder and Armstrong leadership.

Defense: Kingston has an amazing top 3 with Wilson, Reardon and Murphy but the Leafs have also a good defensive squad. Kingston has a small advantage on D.

Goalies: Brodeur over Fuhr, but not by much.
Advantage: Leafs

Intangibles: Not to fond of the russian mix on Kingstons team. Would have liked an all canadian 4th line and 3rd D pairing instead. The only way the Leafs win this if Stevens takes out Lemieux.

Who will win this: Kingston in 5.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Offense:Complete advantage to Kingston, altough I really like Teeder and Armstrong leadership.

Defense: Kingston has an amazing top 3 with Wilson, Reardon and Murphy but the Leafs have also a good defensive squad. Kingston has a small advantage on D.

Intangibles: Not to fond of the russian mix on Kingstons team. Would have liked an all canadian 4th line and 3rd D pairing instead. The only way the Leafs win this if Stevens takes out Lemieux.

I disagree with my co-gm here... LL's teams are extremely underrated. That one will go in seven...

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Kingston

Sid Smith - Mario Lemieux (C) - Bobby Bauer
John Leclair - Steve Yzerman (A) - Ace Bailey
George Hay - Harry Westwick - Tony Leswick
Venjamin Alexandrov - Alexander Almetov - Konstantin Loktev
Jozef Golonka - Dick Irvin

Ken Reardon - Doug Wilson
Larry Murphy - Jim Neilson
Vasili Pervukhin - Zinetula Bilyaletdinov

Grant Fuhr
Mike Vernon

- My initial take is that way to much was given up to get Steve Yzerman, who is a great player, no doubt about that, but I really don't see a huge amount that separates him from someone like Sakic, at least not enough to justify giving anything substantial up.
- Past the 1-2 punch up the middle, I see a team that has a huge number of holes in it, the wings are average at best and well the defence consists of 4 solid players and well a third pairing that is made up of Soviet question marks.... the way I look at the Soviet teams is there is no doubt that they have the higher end talent, but depth has never been the Russian's strong point, to this day that issue exists.... and that is only magnified on the backend.
- Lemieux and Tikhonov?
- Good clutch goaltending that could work out well if the team makes the playoffs, but right now I see a team that stands a good chance of being a fat kid on prom night and missing the dance.

Of more immediate concern is the lack of a 7th defenseman. Any injury to them would be a disaster since a forward would have to play defense and I'm not sure if any of the forwards on the roster are well-equipped for that.

Yeah, I was wondering about that as well, especially considering how absolutely useless an assistant coach is in this format in my opinion... a head coach is sufficient. There are a couple of Czechoslovakian defensmen who are in the IIHF Hall of Fame that I would select before the two Soviets....

FI#2 said Mario falling in the draft was too goo to pass up (don't trade), so that defined the team, he chose Fuhr which makes sense given Mario, and though he was AWOL for several rounds when the top-3 d-men and four top wingers were being chosen, he did respond to an email about later round options. I know he was busy and hence could at most be a co-g.m. this draft. I knew I'd be busy the first week of may, goikng to Thailand and moving to a new apartment (am still int he process). So teaming up was a quick fix for our situations. FI#2 went with the Slovak centre late in the draft, and didn't reply to the PMs about drafting Russians, so I had no idea he thought some undrafted Czechs were better than one of the greatest Soviet lines of all time. I would have gladly nixed the idea and had a killer MLD top line. BUt we are both busy and made the best of this.

It is what it is.

sounds like a team in turmoil on the ice and off the ice.
Hopefully these direct quotes enlighten everyone about this disarayed 2 line team that is banded together by some golden oldies (non nhl players) and some minor league russians who are suppose to be greats like larionov bure ovechkin and Kharlamov! Oh the humanity, Hype, buzz,lies n trickery :)

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com

i am certain if we add up the total amount of goals scored and points produced that my team would be ahead in both catgories

Center
Tedder Kennedy
696 231 329 560 432
Evgeni Malkin
160 80 111 191 158
Murray Oliver
1127 274 454 728 320
Mats Sundin
Games 1305 Goals 555 Points 1321 +78 PIM 1065
Peter Zezel
873 219 389 608 435

over 3300 points over 1300 goals

Right Wingers
George Armstrong
1187 G 296 A 417 Pts 713
Peter Bondra
1081 503 389 892 761
Bob Nevin
1128 307 419 726
Rick Vaive
876 441 347 788 1445

over 2800 points over 1500 goals

Left Wingers
Stu barnes
1136 261 336 597 438
Bob Davidson
491 94 160 254 398
Patrik Elias
745 264 364 628 371
Gary Roberts
1194 434 469 903 +240 2533
over 2200 points over 1000 goals

Defenceman
Bobby Baun
964 37 187 224 1493
Rob Blake
1127 223 479 702 1509
Garth Boesch
197 9 28 37 205
Al Iafrate
799 152 311 463 1301
Tomas Kaberle
681 69 333 402 198
Scott Stevens
1635 196 712 908 2785
Ian Turnbull
628 123 317 440 736

over 3100 points over 700 goals

over 3100 points over 700 goals
over 2200 points over 1000 goals
over 2800 points over 1500 goals
over 3300 points over 1300 goals

11,400 points 4500 goals

Last edited:

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
i am certain if we add up the total amount of goals scored and points produced that my team would be ahead in both catgories

Stu Barnes as a second line player is going to be your downfall. Your offence can be described as anorexic at best and the player with the most offensive potential in Sundin has yet to win anything of note in the NHL... Outside of Robert's I don't think you have a single cup in your top 6 and well that is pathetic.

Personally I don't care about meaningless statistics such as regular season goals and points... if I used that as a guideline I would have drafted Rick Vaive and put him on the first line.... but that would be a stupid strategy based primarily on statistics and apparently not much else.

I don't like the makeup of the Kingston fourth line but that does absolutely nothing to change the fact that your team isn't strong enough defensively to make up for the fact that you will be lucky to score 2 goals in a game.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Stu Barnes as a second line player is going to be your downfall. Your offence can be described as anorexic at best and the player with the most offensive potential in Sundin has yet to win anything of note in the NHL... Outside of Robert's I don't think you have a single cup in your top 6 and well that is pathetic.

Personally I don't care about meaningless statistics such as regular season goals and points... if I used that as a guideline I would have drafted Rick Vaive and put him on the first line.... but that would be a stupid strategy based primarily on statistics and apparently not much else.

I don't like the makeup of the Kingston fourth line but that does absolutely nothing to change the fact that your team isn't strong enough defensively to make up for the fact that you will be lucky to score 2 goals in a game.

The fog is thick around you tonight
My team is build of many 2 way forwards

kennedy,sundin,roberts,elias,nevin,davidson,armstrong,oliver,zezel.Malkin and barnes

Some things are and somethings are not and you not caring about stats tells me your not impressed with your team but then again you already admited that!

11,400 points 4500 goals for my team sounds rather mighty offensivley!

What next will you lead us all not to beleive

Perhaps claim that the ocean water not salty and wet
forget the truth better yet claim your truth is better ... infact greater;)

Last edited:

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Changing your roster and trying to maximize the offensive potential is just putting lipstick on a pig... but you still don't get it after all this time, you can't just recite statistics in the hopes that it will make your team look better, Rick Vaive and Peter Bondra did put a bunch of points up on the board, but what have either of them accomplished over the course of their careers... not a whole hell of a lot.

You seem to be unsure of your lineup could that be due to a realization from the top that your players just aren't very good in an all time draft setting?

-
Also Zezel wasn't much of a threat at either end of the ice.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Changing your roster and trying to maximize the offensive potential is just putting lipstick on a pig... but you still don't get it after all this time, you can't just recite statistics in the hopes that it will make your team look better, Rick Vaive and Peter Bondra did put a bunch of points up on the board, but what have either of them accomplished over the course of their careers... not a whole hell of a lot.

You seem to be unsure of your lineup could that be due to a realization from the top that your players just aren't very good in an all time draft setting?

-
Also Zezel wasn't much of a threat at either end of the ice.

my roster was changed long ago after evil sather and god bless canadas reviews

zezel was the center man for brett hull when he scored 72 whilepeter himself scored over 200 goals as a defensive forward who was useful on the faceoff. He is a player that you yourself has drafted in these drafts.

please tell us all about your trojan horse russian players seriously who are they
when did the play :)

bondra and vaive are well compensated by all the other 2 way players on my team.

2 way players are bolded

#7 Gary Roberts---#13 Mats Sundin---#12 Peter Bondra
#25 Patrik Elias----#9 Teeder Kennedy-----#22 Rick Vaive
#14 Stu Barnes ----- #11-Murray Oliver---- #10 George Armstrong
#18 Bob Davidson---#25 PeterZezel------#11 Bob Nevin
#71 Evgeni Malkin

#2 Ian Turnbull

#30 Martin Brodeur
#31 Curtis Joseph
#1 Frank McCool​

11,400 points 4500 goals for my team sounds rather mighty offensivley!

My team can beat your team with stats, facts and the truth!

My team has 33 cup rings maybe 35 if pittsburg wins the cup this yr.
and I have about 10 hall of famers and soon to be hall of famers.

I just hope you dont beleive the drivel your selling.

Last edited:

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Peter Zezel was mediocre in his own end (not really a defensive expert) and was nothing to rave about in the oppositions end either. He had a few good years from an offensive perspective but his main asset was his work in the faceoff circle and that is why I drafted him in years past... but a fouth line player isn't going to make or break a team...

But do you really consider Sundin to be a two way player, same thing with Roberts. I have watched him quite a bit and while he isn't bad in his own end, it really isn't his forte by any stretch of the imagination, at least not enough to be considered a two way player.

I am not arguing that your team has scored a lot of goals but when those goals are scored by one way offensive threats who haven't really accomplished anything in the NHL in Vaive and Bondra, it really doesn't strike me as a team with great offensive potential.

I would respond in greater detail to your post but I am still scoffing at the suggestion that Malkin is a two-way player and your syntax is horrible making it difficult to understand anything you type... please use spellcheck or at the very least review your posts before hitting the post button... it would make my life a hell of a lot easier, and make you sound less Pejorative Slured.... which will be hard to to considering you have Rick Vaive as a top line player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad