ATD#8 to begin in September

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Of course, expressing interest could begin anytime. :)

I am of the opinion that the 28-team atd#7 was a resounding success. :handclap: Yes, more playoff participation would have been appreciated in voting and commentary but the draft itself was excellent, exceeded expectations, and we have BM67 to thank for that, :clap: and hopefully he'll return in the fall to continue.

now is time to start gauging interest, a preliminary raising of hands, not a role call, just to get an idea of interest (all the people so indicating will get a PM reminder when the sign up period begins in sept.)

to be clear: this is NOT a first-come, first-served kind of thing

except insofar as there will be room for some newbies, and definitely more if co-g.m.ing

Veterans wanting a team by themself:

wisent
pappyline
EagleBelfour
shawnmullin
Hockey Outsider
Leaf Lander
BlueBleeder
murphy
cottonking
pitseleh (?)
LapierreSports (?)
reckoning (?)

Veterans with a co-g.m.:

God Bless Canada & raleh
Evil Sather & Kruezer
vancityluongo & Tricolore#20
nayld psycho & sturminator

Veterans interested in having a co-g.m.:

MXD (co-g.m.ing might be his best option, depending)
arrbez (might or might not want a co-g.m., not sure yet)

Newbies interested in having a co-g.m.:

The Hockey_Guy18 (preferably with a co-g.m.)
FlyersHomerDM03 (would like a fellow newbie co-g.m.)
Agent Dale Cooper (interested in being a co-g.m.)
nik jr. (interested in being a co-g.m.)

Newbies who want a team by themself:

doctordark

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
any experienced all-time drafters are a lock, it'd be expected

hence the reason for the call for co-g.m.s and for 30-32 teams might be in order

it's the newbies who'll benefit from early announcement of interest, as space for new blood would be limited (but of interest)

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
I'm in. I'm liking the co-gm experience, especially with GBC. (I suggest one name he suggests 20..:D) I might have to go that route as September is when the kids hockey starts and spare time goes out the window. I guess It'll depend on what teams they make and what not but I'll be involved with a team somehow, whether its with my own or as co-gm.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'm in!

Weight/Bondra... Feeling somewhat directly targeted by this! Well I wanted an offensive 3rd line...

As for Co-GM or not... Depends. If I have the schedule I had in May-June, that might be the best option.

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Of course I'll be back. HF is just a lot less exciting without the all-time draft.

I think we're nearing the maximum for the number of teams that we can accommodate. I think 20-24 teams is the ideal, and 28-32 should be the max. Decisions do need to be made on how to handle the burgeoning demand for draft admission, because I see the day, within the next year or two, when there'll be 50-60 people wanting to be in this thing.

I might even move my team. I've paid tribute to our rich amateur hockey tradition with the Smokies. (And an old friend who scored a big goal for Trail in 1961). I'm thinking of using my team name to pay tribute to a team that deserves it even more than Trail. (And no, it's not a Saskatchewan team).

I'm not a fan of the co-GM thing, and would only do it with a like-minded GM. That, and time commitment, are the reasons I agreed to work with Murph on this draft. (Keep in mind that the trash talk between us was just for show). If I was going to partner with a GM for the main draft, it would have to be someone with an appreciation for gritty, hard-working players with character, skill and a big-game mentality.

Zetterberg4Captain*

Can I participate? I have been a long time lurker here and have followed the last several drafts!

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Oh, and I might add : Some true gems have gone in the ATD-Minor so far, guys who would really deserve a spot on a regular ATD team. Thinking about Glen Harmon, Tumba Johansson and our own Metro Prystai especially, although there might be some others I forgot.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Unfortunately I'll be away for all of October so won't be in for this one. Hey Cotton, I like the direction you're taking your minor league team in. Want my Maroons for ATD 8?

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I'm definitely back in for the next draft.

As GBC mentioned, I can see the day when there are 50-60 GM's who want in on this thing. It was suggested before, but it may be interesting to start two separate divisions and have two drafts simultaneously (and have each division champ play the other for the title).

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
As GBC mentioned, I can see the day when there are 50-60 GM's who want in on this thing. It was suggested before, but it may be interesting to start two separate divisions and have two drafts simultaneously (and have each division champ play the other for the title).
two leagues with an interleague championship? so gretzky vs. gretzky is a hypothetical final? each draft ran independently than the other. hmmm. interesting... some day perhaps... but i fear the pace and commitment level of such an approach... i think natural attrition will happen: g.m.s come and go... and co-g.m.ing really helps things

i like the idea of having those who want to join the following atd to do the minor league drafts of the atd before. a 30-team minor league draft may seem too dilluted in talent but there are many excellent players, quite a few HHOFers, still undrafted in the monor league draft. commitment and pace can be validated by a g.m.s participation level in the minor league draft.. like cottonking is showing in the atd#7 minor league draft!

Zetterberg4Captain*

two leagues with an interleague championship? so gretzky vs. gretzky is a hypothetical final? each draft ran independently than the other. hmmm. interesting... some day perhaps... but i fear the pace and commitment level of such an approach... i think natural attrition will happen: g.m.s come and go... and co-g.m.ing really helps things

i like the idea of having those who want to join the following atd to do the minor league drafts of the atd before. a 30-team minor league draft may seem too dilluted in talent but there are many excellent players, quite a few HHOFers, still undrafted in the monor league draft. commitment and pace can be validated by a g.m.s participation level in the minor league draft.. like cottonking is showing in the atd#7 minor league draft!

You don't have to question my commitment. I am very dedicated to anything I do. :D

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Unfortunately I'll be away for all of October so won't be in for this one. Hey Cotton, I like the direction you're taking your minor league team in. Want my Maroons for ATD 8?
Thanks for the kind words, but "interim GM" is just a euphamism for "this mook is about to get fired." Besides, judging on your 6/7 roster, your fans wouldn't like the direction I take the team for 8. I'll stick with the Omaha job for now.

:jol:

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
I'm in! Not sure about this co GM thing, as I am someone who love building my team alone (going well in the minor draft iwth MXD though). Definitely in in any situation!

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
co-g.m.ing has been more fun than I thought it would be!

shawnmullin and I discussed strategy and options alot in the main draft and Hockey Outsider and I have together reflected on over 100 players, each knowing the other's opinons of them, coming to agreement on basic issues of strategy and direction, each of us countering the other's temptation to make a pick contrary to the team's focus and interests.

co-g.m.ing can be fun to have someone to discuss things with... but for some g.m.s perhaps it can serve a tag team role, covering for each other when away fro a few days at a time

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
That's the thing, I want someone who I can talk to about my selections. I can be a bit scattershot, so having someone else to work with will ensure that only my good ideas go through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad