Atd#8-ML Sir Montagu Allan Division Final: #1 Boston Cubs vs. #2 New York Americans

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
James Creighton Memorial Cup Semi-Final

Boston Cubs

coach: Rudy Pilous
captain: Dick Irvin
alternates: Don Lever, Mario Marois
team MVP: Corb Denneny

Vic Stasiuk - Paul Ronty - Corb Denneny
Greg Adams - Dick Irvin (C) - Blaine Stoughton
Don Lever (A) - Charlie Burns - Mush March
Dave Lowry - Rob Niedermayer - Keith Crowder
Wally Hergesheimer

Dick Redmond - Bert Corbeau
Joe Jerwa - Mario Marois (A)
Doug Jarrett - Jim Mckenny
Risto Siltanen

Johnny Mowers
Ken Wregget
Marty Turco

vs.

New York Americans

coach: Frank Patrick
captain: Hobey Baker
alternates: Boris Mayorov, Jeff Beukeboom
team MVP: Hobey Baker

Boris Mayorov (A) - Billy Taylor - Rick Kehoe
Alex Shibicky - Bill Thoms - Harry Oliver
Louis Berlinquette - Bruce MacGregor - Anders Kallur
Ethan Moreau - Stephane Yelle - Bobby Gould
Shawn Burr

Hobey Baker (C) - Battleship Leduc
Jeff Brown - Jeff Beukeboom (A)
Bert Marshall - Robyn Regehr
Bert McCaffrey

Paddy Moran
Henrik Lundqvist

-------------​

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Boston Cubs

PP1: Stasiuk - Ronty - Denneny - Redmond - Corbeau
PP2: Adams - Irvin - Stoughton - Jerwa - McKenny

PK1: Burns - March - Jerwa - Corbeau
PK2: Lever - Niedermayer - Jarrett - Marois

vs.

New York Americans

PP1: Mayorov - MacGregor - Kehoe - Baker - Taylor
PP2: Shibicky - Thoms - Oliver - Brown - Leduc

PK1: Yelle - Gould - Marshall - Beukeboom
PK2: MacGregor - Moreau - Leduc - Regehr

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Interesting that the top two teams in the divisions are moving into the next round. With the great jobs the GMs did I'm somewhat surprised there wasn't an upset in the semis. Ah well. I like the look of the NY defense. Will be interesting too see how Boston plans on exposing it. Lots of toughness and grit on that Americans back-end. Definitely won't be a high-scoring series IMO, but this time of year they usually aren't!

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I also really like the Americans 4th line. Moreau/Yelle is an great combo for a MLD. Everyone knows what Ethan Moreau brings to the table. Tremendous heart guy with a ton of grit, but Stephane Yelle has quietly been a really solid checking line player.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Boston Wins Series Opener in OT Thriller

The Boston Cubs pulled out a big 2-1 overtime win last night in Game One of the Sir Montagu Allan Division Final. This late in the playoffs it shouldn't be surprised that this game was low scoring, but not for lack of chances. Johnny Mowers and Paddy Moran both stood on their head most of the night with the game going into the midway point of the 3rd period before any goals were tallied. New York opened the score at the 11 minute mark of the last frame when Boris Mayorov scored a beautiful wrap around goal that saw him elude the Boston defender and Mowers in nets. A few minutes later Boston would respond on the powerplay. Paddy Moran made a phenomenal save on a one timer by Corb Denneny, but couldn't stop a pinching Bert Corbeau would fire the rebound over the sprawled Moran and into the back of the net. The ice was still wet from the intermission when Boston ended the game on a 2-on-1 with Vic Stasiuk faking a pass and firing a puck past the New York netminder.

Final: 2-1 Boston

The Boston Cubs lead the series 1-0

Last edited:

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Moran Shuts the Door and Sends New York Home Tied​

Americans goaltender Paddy Moran came up huge in Game 2 leading his team to a 3-0 victory over the Boston Cubs to even the best of 7 series at a game apiece. Rick Kehoe opened the scoring for New York in the 2nd period when he beat Johnny Mowers five hole. Stephane Yelle would double that lead later in the frame when he tip in a rebound during one of many New York flurries in the second period. Despite some great chances in the third, the Cubs couldn't get anything past Paddy Moran, although the New York goaltender got some luck on a 3rd period penalty shot when Dick Irvin fired a shot over his glove only to hear the clang of the crossbar a split second later. Despite the game being essentially over, the Americans made their last goal in the final minute one for the hilight reels. Hobey Baker stole the puck after a devastating hip check and the sprung Bill Thoms who made a dandy move to elude the defender left in front of him and scored stick side, securing a 3-0 victory for New York.

Final: 3-0 New York

Series Tied 1-1

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
New York Takes Advantage of Home Ice to take Series Lead​

A big 3-2 win last night on home ice in front of a packed house put the New York Americans halfway to the Finals last night. As has been the case all series, Paddy Moran put on another great show stopping 31 of 33 shots to help his team to victory. It would be Boston however who did open the scoring midway through the first when Charlie Burns scored on a goal assisted by Don Lever. Hobey Baker would tie the game up with a wicked point shot that found its way through numerous sets of legs and into the net. The 2nd period would see two big Americans' goals essentially sealing the win. Rick Kehoe would notch the first New York goal of the period to make it 2-1 and later in the frame Billy Taylor would make it 3-1 for the home side. Blaine Stoughton would score a beautiful goal on an end to end rush early in the 3rd and Boston would press the rest of the way but to no avail. The Americans went up 2-1 in the series and home crowd went home elated.

Final: 3-2 New York

Americans lead series 2-1

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Boston Ties it Up

After dropping back to back games to fall behind in the series, the #1 ranked Boston Cubs came out firing on all cylinders last night and evened the series up at 2 with a 4-1 win over New York. On top of Johnny Mowers stellar performance, the star of the game was Bert Corbeau who notched a goal and two helpers in the huge Game 4 win. Corbeau got into the action early setting up Corb Denneny for a powerplay goal midway through the first and then scoring one of his own before the first period came to a close, sending the Cubs into the first intermission up 2-0. New York would answer back in the 2nd period on a goal by Hobey Baker, but that would be all the offense the home side could muster in this one. Despite several excellent chances throughout the final two frames, the Americans couldn't get anything past Johnny Mowers. Paul Ronty and Dave Lowry would score goals for Boston in the 3rd to add the final tallies to the Boston win.

Final: 4-1 Boston

Series Tied 2-2

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Cubs Take the Lead at Home

The Boston Cubs put themselves within one win of a trip to the finals last night, squeaking out a 2-1 win over New York. Both goalies were fantastic in this one as each team managed to tally over 35 shots apiece. It would be the Americans who'd open the scoring, but not until the 2nd period when Harry Oliver potted his first of the series. Boston was not to be deterred on this night however and took the roar of the homecrowd onto the ice as their 6th man, tallying a huge equalizer early in the 3rd on a goal from Mario Marois. From there every fan was on the edge of their seat the rest of the way as the teams traded chances, but Mowers and Moran remained steadfast in th net, stopping everything that came their way the rest of regulation. In fact, this game would need more than just one overtime period before coming to an end. it wouldn't be until the 12 minute mark of OT #2 until a team went home with a win, and on this night that meant a goal for the Boston Cubs. Don Lever, found himself at the right place at the right time burying a rebound past Paddy Moran and into the back of the cage, a split second later he was on the ground being mobbed by his teammates.

Final: 2-1 Boston

Boston leads the series 3-2

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Home Cookin' Sends Series to a Game 7​

"They'll be a Game 7". Coach Frank Patrick's words after the 5th game rang true last night as the New York Americans pulled out a 2-0 victory over the Boston Cubs to send this one to a deciding Game 7 in Boston the day after tomorrow. Paddy Moran was fantastic in the shutout, stopping 27 shots in the win for New York. Rick Kehoe opened the scoring for New York in the 2nd period giving the home crowd a reason to stay on their feet for several minutes. Moran would continue to give the crowd a reason to stay up with great save after great save to preserve the 1-0 New York lead. Bruce MacGregor would make a big impact later on when he scored his first of the series to put the Americans up 2-0. Despite a few great chances by Boston the rest of the way, nothing was getting past Paddy Moran on this night.

"As soon as the final buzzer sounded out focus switched right away to Game 7 in Boston, it's going to take all the effort we have to win this series, and that's exactly what we intend to" Hobey Baker said after the game. Bert Corbeau would be a bit more ambiguous when asked by reporters about what he expected in Game 7 "Boys, there's going to be a hockey game the day after tomorrow...I'd watch".

Final 2-0 New York

Series Tied 3-3

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Americans Punch Tickets to Finals​

"Even though we won Game 6, I don't think many people saw momentum carrying over to Game 7 and seeing us win this series" smiled an elated Frank Patrick after the game. He, and the rest of the Americans had reason to smile. They had just pulled off a big upset, knocking off the Boston Cubs 2-1 in Overtime, and on Boston's home ice no less.

The goalies surprised no one with fantastic play throughout once again, each making timely saves to keep the game a close one from start to finish.

The Americans would score first, on a goal by defenseman Hobey Baker to make it 1-0. It would stay that way for the majority of the game, thanks in large part to the stellar play of Paddy Moran, but one would finally squeak by the star netminder when Corb Denneny tapped in a rebound to even the game up, sending the Boston crowd into a frenzy.

Hard hits and great chances characterized the rest of the game with both sides slamming their sticks on the ice in frustration as they felt the winning goal was robbed from them by the opposing goaltender.

But finally, in overtime the game, and the series would come to and end. As the Boston crowd attempted to rally their team to victory it would be a BattleshipLeduc goal that silenced the home crowd into a state of shock. As the Cubs' fans left the building dismayed, a huge celebration broke out at ice level as the Americans celebrated a hard fought win. They were off to play for it all.

Final: 2-1 New York

New York Wins Series 4-3

Three stars:

1. Moran (Americans)
2. Mowers (Cubs)
3. Baker (Americans)

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Wow, it's nice to have pulled through with the win.

Speaker, you put together a hell of a team loaded with favourites of mine. Stasiuk-Ronty-Denneny was a great first line and Lever-Burns-Marsh was an awesome checking line.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I'll admit I'm very surprised by this result. I thought that Boston was the odds-on favourite to win this thing, especially after my team was eliminated. Their only weakness, from my perspective, was their fourth line.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I'll admit I'm very surprised by this result. I thought that Boston was the odds-on favourite to win this thing, especially after my team was eliminated. Their only weakness, from my perspective, was their fourth line.
Kuddos to Boston, the team which had by far the most votes in the regular season voting.

I thought for sure it'd be Boston or McGill versus Phoenix or Renfrew in the final. :dunno:

Judgements vary.

(Though granted, most teams were pretty well put together)

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Kuddos to Boston, the team which had by far the most votes in the regular season voting.

I thought for sure it'd be Boston or McGill versus Phoenix or Renfrew in the final. :dunno:

Judgements vary.

(Though granted, most teams were pretty well put together)
Normally I go into a series expecting to win. That's just how I do things. It's not necessarily a popular approach. But I looked at that Boston team, and outside of their fourth line, I didn't see a weakness to exploit. From about the fifth round, Boston was the one team that made me say "If raleh and I win, this will be the team we'll have to beat." Wrong on both fronts.

Boston was probably the best team that I've seen in the last three MLDs.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Good series. I know Leduc wasn't a top-3 star of the series, but I wonder if it was my vote for him that tipped the scales towards him being the game 7 OT hero.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad