Moose Jaw Millers

coach: Don Cherry
assistant coach: Dwight McMillan
captain: George Owen
alternates: Kelly Buchberger, Dave Balon
team MVP: Murray Balfour

Dave Balon (A) - Bronco Horvath - Murray Balfour
Dennis Hextall - Eric Staal - Milan Hejduk
Ray Getliffe - George Gee - Kelly Buchberger (A)
John Wensink - Laurie Boschman - Tony Granato
Jeff Friesen

George Owen (C) - Steve Chiasson
Kjell Samuelsson - Randy Gregg
Jay Bouwmeester - Garth Butcher
Sylvain Cote

Sean Burke
Mike Palmateer

-------------------​

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Phoenix Roadrunners

PP1: Scanlan - Trihey - Farrell - Wilson - Driver
PP2: Deadmarsh - Zetterberg - Sheppard - Buller - Galley

PK1: Berry - Prystai - Lewis - Galley
PK2: Larose - Deadmarsh - Driver - Ruttan

vs.

Moose Jaw Millers

PP1: Balon - Horvath - Hejduk - Owen - Chiasson
PP2: Hextall - Staal - Balfour - Bouwmeester - Boschman

PK1: Balon - Getliffe - Gregg - Chiasson
PK2: Buchberger - Boschman - Samuelsson - Bouwmeester

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Well, Phoenix definitely has more grit up front and will present a much tougher challenge in that regard for Moose Jaw. Don't get me wrong, I don't think they push Moose Jaw around by any means, but the big advantage the Millers had in that regard. This should definitely be a good one.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
How will Zetterberg perform against a Don Cherry team? Will Trihey be able to get the kind of fast transition game on blueline passing he insisted on in his own time?

This will be a physical series.

I look forward to analysis of the match-up.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
How will Zetterberg perform against a Don Cherry team? Will Trihey be able to get the kind of fast transition game on blueline passing he insisted on in his own time?

This will be a physical series.

I look forward to analysis of the match-up.

Deadmarsh will be huge for Zetterberg in this series. His physicality will be needed on that 2nd line. If he can clear space for Zetterberg and Sheppard that line has the potential to be really solid and give Phoenix some really great scoring depth to match-up against the Millers. Question is, does or can Deadmarsh stay healthy in a series like this?

Diving Pokecheck*

Of all the teams, this and Edina were the ones that I dreaded coming up against the most.
I have one + that will be key in the playoffs: a clear advantage in goal. Sean Burke was a solid journeyman, but McNeil won a Stanley Cup as a starter, and was named to the 2nd NHL all-star team.

Diving Pokecheck*

VanIslander, could you add goaltending coach Warren Strelow to our team?

Diving Pokecheck*

How do we count Stanley Cups won in the formative years of the league?
For example, the Shamrocks won the Stanley Cup in 1899, and successfully defended it four times in 1899-1900, before losing to a challenge from the Winnipeg Victorias in 1901. How many cups would those players be credited as winning?

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
How do we count Stanley Cups won in the formative years of the league?
For example, the Shamrocks won the Stanley Cup in 1899, and successfully defended it four times in 1899-1900, before losing to a challenge from the Winnipeg Victorias in 1901. How many cups would those players be credited as winning?
Personally, I count one Stanley Cup per year. Defending the cup four times in a year counts as one time in my books.

So I credit players from the Shamrocks with having won two cups.

Diving Pokecheck*

Trihey and Farrell won two cups, then, but Scanlan also won a Stanley Cup with the Winnipeg Victorias in 1902.

Diving Pokecheck*

Roadrunners Stanley Cups:
Harry Trihey 2
Arthur Farrell 2
Fred Scanlan 3
Adam Deadmarsh 1
Metro Prystai 2
Claude LaRose 4
Sergei Brylin 3
Joe Murphy 1
Mel Hill 3
Bruce Driver 1
Jay Wells 1
Gerry McNeil 3
Randy Carlyle 1
The Roadrunners have won 27 total Stanley Cups.
The Roadrunners have won 4 total Allan Cups.
The Roadrunners have won 2 Olympic Gold Medals, 1 Olympic Silver Medal.

The Roadrunners have 5 players in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Last edited by a moderator:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Harry Trihey 2
Arthur Farrell 2
Fred Scanlan 3
Adam Deadmarsh 1
Metro Prystai 2
Claude LaRose 4
Sergei Brylin 3
Joe Murphy 1
Mel Hill 3
Bruce Driver 1
Jay Wells 1
Gerry McNeil 3
Randy Carlyle 1
Well, you do have 13 Stanley Cup champions.

How many championship-experienced players does the Millers have?

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Well, Phoenix definitely has more grit up front and will present a much tougher challenge in that regard for Moose Jaw. Don't get me wrong, I don't think they push Moose Jaw around by any means, but the big advantage the Millers had in that regard. This should definitely be a good one.

I agree. Moose Jaw won't be able to bully guys around like they were against us. I like Prystai and the rest of Phoenix's shutdown line against MJM's top line. Although Zetterberg could be in a tad bit of trouble in Deadmarsh gets injured.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I disagree that Phoenix has a significant edge in net.

Burke did bounce around, but that's reflective of a two-year stretch late in the middle of his career, and then his final two-and-a-half seasons in the league. He spent 14 of his 18 years with three teams - New Jersey, Hartford and Phoenix. In today's NHL, three teams in 14 years is pretty damn impressive.

Burke was never on a really strong team, other than Philly in 1998, and that was when he had zero confidence. Even the Devils team that he backstopped to within a game of the Cup final in 1998 wasn't an overly powerful team. I think you see Burke's ability in goal, in the big game, behind a strong team, when you look at his international record: a Canada Cup title (1991), an Olympic silver medal (1992) and two World Championships as the No. 1 goalie (1997 and 2003). He rates among Canada's best ever on the international stage.

He was a Vezina finalist in 2002.

McNeil's an excellent goalie. One of the best in the draft. But you have to look at the full body of Burke's work before writing him off as a "solid journeyman."

TC, are you saying that Phoenix has an edge in grit? Or just more grit than the Giants? Because nobody has more grit than us. And not only do we have grit, we have the speed that match, especially up front.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I think Phoenix's biggest weakness is their fourth line. And it's a weakness that can be really exploited as the series roles around. Is it a scoring line? Joe Murphy's presence would indicate that. You wouldn't have Murphy on a defensive line. But Brylin and Hill aren't offensive guys. Is it a defensive line? Not with Murphy. So it's a miscellaneous line - a mistake in this draft.

If they trot out four lines, that's great news for us. The Horvath line, or the Staal line, will exploit that match-up on a consistent basis. The Roadrunners could try to play with three lines, but over the course of a long, tough, physical series (I think we all expect that will be the nature of this series), a team with three lines could be at a big disadvantage as the series progresses.

They could remove Murphy from the line-up, which on the surface looks like a good move, but he's not a guy who could handle a 13th forward role. He'd become a distraction and a cancer.

Re-uniting the Shamrock Line is a coup. But the Shamrocks never faced anything like a Samuelsson-Gregg tandem: two towering defenders with good mobility for their size, outstanding reach, strong positioning and very good defensive ability. And we have lots of forwards who can keep up with the Shamrocks.

One other thing worth noting: the presence of Jeff Friesen as our 13th forward. This series will likely come down to a 7th game. Good news for a team with Jeff Friesen - No. 4 all-time in Game 7 goals. And 5-0 in Game 7's.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
TC, are you saying that Phoenix has an edge in grit? Or just more grit than the Giants? Because nobody has more grit than us. And not only do we have grit, we have the speed that match, especially up front.

Just that they have more grit that the Giants, so that advantage won't be as pronounced in this series.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
I've got three midterms today, so I will post more tomorrow. I'll need to think a bit because this Phoenix team is one of my favourites.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
One other area where I feel Moose Jaw has a sizable edge: No. 1 defenceman. George Owen is the cream of the crop for defencemen in this MLD. An outstanding offensive defenceman. He's the one blue-liner in this series capable of handling 25 to 28 minutes per game, and not losing his edge as the series rolls along.

Nothing against Garry Galley. A very good defenceman who can make plays and dish out hits. But he's best served as a No. 2 guy, playing 21 or 22 minutes per game. Anything more, and you're asking too much of Galley.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Our final significant edge is behind the bench. This is the perfect team for Don Cherry - a hard-charging, tough, aggressive team. We have the speed, aggression and desire up front to execute a strong forecheck, and the toughness, size and smarts on the backend to ensure that shots against are held to a minimum. Cherry is the ultimate players' coach, certainly the best at working with the players in the draft. The newest member of the 1,000-win club, Dwight McMillan, is on board to take care of the strategy, and Dwight's one of the best in the MLD for X's and O's.

Phoenix's defence is good, but not great, and in the face of a hard forecheck, they could start hearing footsteps, and turnovers will increase as the series progresses.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I'll have my write-ups done by end of day. Have a few things to do but wanted to get Game One done to push me to finish the rest today as well.

Game One:
The series began with a great match-up. Both teams came out flying, hitting hard and ready to go. Despite the edge Moose Jaw had in the hitting department, the Roadrunners were well prepared by coach Carlyle to take the punishment and refused to retaliate when the edgy Moose Jaw squad would involve themselves in skirmishes away from the play and after the whistle. This patience paid off late in the first period when Ray Sheppard put Phoenix up 1-0 on a powerplay goal from Galley and Zetterberg. Down 1-0 heading into the 2nd, Cherry made sure his team came out with a vengeance in the 2nd and it paid off 10 minutes in when Bronco Hovarth hit a streaking Dave Balon with a perfect pass that he put into the net just above the blocker of Gerry McNeil. Moose Jaw kept the pressure on and scored another big goal, this time from 4th liner Tony Granato, and the Millers were up 2-1 going into the third. Phoenix wasn’t about to roll over in the third, their perseverance worked and they tied the game up and sent the game into overtime on a goal by Harry Trihey. Trihey would be the hero once again when he scored early in the extra frame to give Phoenix the Game 1 win

Final: 3-2 Phoenix

Roadrunners lead the series 1-0

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Game Two
Don Cherry had his team ready to go in Game 2, and the Roadrunners were in no way ready for the level of physicality Moose Jaw brought to the table this time around. Within five minutes the Roadrunners already lost Adam Deadmarsh for the evening when Kjell Samulsson nailed him along the boards with a fierce body check that sent the winger to the dressing room for the remainder of the game. This sparked Moose Jaw even more and they wound up tallying 2 goals in the first, from Dennis Hextall and Murray Balfour. Phoenix tried to compose themselves at intermission but couldn’t get anything going in the 2nd period either and were outshot 13-5 and gave up two more goals from Staal and Hovarth to give the Millers a commanding 4-0 lead going into the 3rd period. While Metro Prystai would score early on to inject some life back into the Phoenix crowd, Murray Balfour would score his second of the night soon after to put the Millers up 5-1 and that’s how this one ended. Adam Deadmarsh was evaluated after the game and was diagnosed with a minor concussion, he’s expected to miss Game Three in Moose Jaw, but according to Coach Carlyle “Adam almost took a swing at the trainer when he said he’d have to sit out Game 3, I think he’d probably take out the entire coaching staff if he was scratched for Game 4. He’s a great competitor and we’ll need him in this series, he’s importance was proven tonight. We need to find a way to maintain composure out there and take advantage of our opportunities like we did in Game 1â€

Final Score
: 5-1 Moose Jaw

Series is tied 1-1

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Game 3

For the 2nd straight game, and in front of a sell-out crowd, the Millers use their physical edge to dominate the Roadrunners on the forecheck. This time however, McNeil stood on his head and kept Phoenix in the game from start to finish. Eric Staal took a boarding penalty late in the first and the Roadrunners were able to capitalize on the power play on a goal by Harry Trihey giving them a 1-0 lead after the first period. McNeil was sensational in the 2nd period stopping all 14 shots directed his way. Through 2 the Millers outshot their opponents 24-11, but it was the Roadrunners who were up on the score sheet 1-0. After another Moose Jaw penalty in the 3rd it was the Roadrunners who got a chance to attack, but Sean Burke kept the score 1-0 with several key saves on a 4 minute powerplay. The rest of the way it was all Moose Jaw, but it wasn't until the extra attacker was out that they finally put one past McNeil to tie the game up 1-1. Milan Hejduk was the hero and sent the game into overtime. A back and forth effort marked the first over time frame but neither side was able to put the game away. The hilight of the first overtime was McNeil stopping Dave Balon on a breakaway leading to a giant sigh emanating from the arena, Balon wouldn't be disappointed a second time though as he tipped in a George Owen point shot late in the 2nd overtime to put his team up 2-1 in the series and give them a 2-1 win in Game 3.

Final: 2-1 Moose Jaw

Moose Jaw leads series 2-1

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Game 4

The return of Adam Deadmarsh sparked the Roadrunners and they player their best game of the series thus far. Despite another night of heavy forechecking, the Roadrunners always seemed a step ahead of the Millers on this night. Metro Prystai made it 1-0 halfway through the first period when he found himself alone in front of the Moose Jaw net. The Millers put together a more determined effort in the 2nd period and it looked for awhile like their physicality would pave the way to another win, but McNeil stood tall and kept the puck out of the net. Deadmarsh made his presence felt as well dishing out some key hits and getting 3 big scoring chances, the third of which was indeed a charm and the Roadrunners went up 2-0 going into the 3rd. Hovarth scored halfway through the third and the Millers ramped up the pressure even more from there, but once again McNeil was the story and he would stymie the Millers the rest of the way. Prystai would put one in on the empty net with 20 seconds remaining to give the Roadrunners a win.

Final: 3-1 Phoenix

Series tied 2-2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad