Atd#8 Minor League Draft - SIGN UP

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Atd#8 MINOR LEAGUE DRAFT

Sign-up Thread

ANY poster at HFBoards can join the minor league draft. This is the best way for a newbie to prove reliability in picking on time and skill in researching or knowing the history of the game.

NOTICE: The number of teams that make the playoffs will depend on the number that qualify for the postseason. To qualify, a team must meet this all-time draft roster condition: Have on the team at least ONE player from each of the following time periods:

1939 or earlier
1940-1965
1966-1979
1980-1989
1990-1999
2000 or later

The very first game ever played in a top pro league defines which time period for the required condition (so, an eighties player whose NHL or SEL rookie season started in 1979 would meet the 1966-79 time period requirement).

On another front, there will be an all-star team of 1LW, 1RW, 1C, 2D, 1G voted on after the regular season.

Deadline to join: Monday, January 7th, 2008.

The draft will last 24 rounds. You must draft 2 goalies, 6 defensemen, 12 forwards and a coach, with 3 additional picks to be used for whatever position(s) you want.

Trading is allowed. Trades must be equal in numbers, 2 picks for 2 picks, 1 player and a pick for 2 picks, and so on. Really lopsided trades can be vetoed. Rounds 15/16 through 23/24 will be double picks per round.

The time limit will be 8 hours for the first two rounds, reduced to six hours therafter, and at some point will be further reduced to four hours (no later than the double picks). If you miss a time window don't panic, just make up the pick ASAP.

The last minor league draft - in the middle of the hot summer - took two months. This draft will take approximately six weeks. If the time commitment is too much then consider becoming a co-g.m. for this draft. As well, you can PM your preferred pick to me beforehand and be assured I won't ever be drafting your top pick for whatever round because my pre-draft prospect list is so darn long I can do without (even if with a grimace).

You must PM the next GM after your selection. And please post a notice to that effect on the draft thread to ensure a smooth flow to the draft.

Any player from any league or era are eligible as long as they were not drafted in the ATD#8 click here and use control-f to check. As soon as a pick is posted, the next team's clock will begin even if an ineligible player is chosen: the pick will simply be made up as soon as possible.

Player selection should be based on what they have done, and not what they will do in the future, though it's understood that as a minor league team there is a bit of projection involved, especially with players whose careers were cut short by injury.

Absolutely no dropping of players: once drafted they are drafted, but players could be traded if team needs change. At the end of the draft a team could pick up an undrafted UFA and simply discard a draft pick.

Draft order will be determined randomly and posted the day after the sign-up deadline.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Draft Order:

1 Evil Speaker - Boston Cubs
2 cottonking & Nalyd Psycho - Edina Hornets
3 Transplanted Caper & vancityluongo - Vancouver Giants
4 MXD & Jungosi - Cincinnati Stingers
5 agent dale cooper - Phoenix Roadrunners
6 6hole & Sakicfan - Moose Jaw Minutemen
7 BM67 - Renfrew Creamery Kings
8 shawnmullin & papershoes - Nelson Leafs
9 VanIslander - McGill Redmen
10 seventieslord - Dysart Fighting Kugels
11 pitseleh & The_Hockey_Guy18 - New York Americans
12 chaosrevolver & NateTheGreat- Belleville Bulls
13 Spitfire11 - Windsor Spitfires
14 raleh & God Bless Canada - Moose Jaw Millers

Sign-up period of two weeks (14 days) has now passed (for newbies, sorry) but if any veteran ATD g.m. wishes to join at the last moment then BM67 and I can team up again as planned (we will each go with our own teams to round the number to an even 14 teams) and you can take the 9th draft spot.

The minor league draft will start next Monday by which time the main all-time draft should be done. GET YOUR VOTES IN TO BM67 if you haven't yet for the Milt Dunnell cup championship series.

Last edited:

Jungosi

Jan 14, 2007
Rendsburg / Germany
I will participate as the Cincinnati Stingers.

StingersLogo.jpg

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
If anyone would like an assistant GM fire me off a PM. I'd put in my own entry, but am movign into a new apartment and might not have continuous acccess outside to the cyberweb other than at the office.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
raleh and I will be co-GMs again. Team name TBA.

A couple of suggestions:

1) Cap this at 12 teams. I think this thing works best at 10-12 teams. If the newbies want to sign up, they can do it in a co-GM situation. If we're doing 16-20 teams, after a 28-team main draft, the talent will become very thin, and everything won't be done in six weeks.

2) Eliminate the call-up team. I don't see the point in it, and if we're going to have non-playoff team, it could make the difference between a team making the playoffs, and not making the playoffs. The call-up thing really punishes teams that pick early, or find that diamond in the rough later in the draft. Murphy and I viewed it as a punishment, not a reward, that Joe Watson was one of the call-ups, and the drop-off from Watson to Bouwmeester and Souray was enormous.

Good to see the double picks return (that was a great idea, as it sped up the process) as well as a very stringent time limit.

The last minor league draft itself took about four weeks. We then needed time for the regular season and playoff voting.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
FloodOfSpartans wanted to join. If he decides to do so, I'll join as his co-GM.

If he refuses, then, I'll co-gm with a ROOKIE Gm.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
I'll manage the team with a 130-year legacy of ice hockey
McgillRedmen.GIF

McGill Redmen

Nice. My Grandfather backstopped the redmen for 3 or 4 years in the early '50's. He used to stay on the ice for the Canadiens practice immediately following theirs. Dick Irvin Jr. was on the team with him, and his father used to punish Habs players by having them do double practices with the Redmen and then Canadiens. I guess one time Doug Harvey was on the ice with the Redmen and just wired a shot at my grandfather's head. He asked him why he did that and Harvey said "I don't want to be here so I'm trying to get kicked off the ice". He tells that story all the time. Doesn't stop him from saying that Harvey is the best player he ever saw. He still says he controlled the pace of the game better than Orr did. Not sure I believe him on that last bit though...

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I'm in as the New York Americans.

I'm in favour of having fewer teams as well - it makes things go quicker. I'd be willing to take on a co-GM to facilitate it if necessary.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I'm in. I've sent TC a PM, so if he takes me, we'll name our team, otherwise I'll put in a reserve for the Giants of Vancouver.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Cap this at 12 teams. I think this thing works best at 10-12 teams. If the newbies want to sign up, they can do it in a co-GM situation.
Yes and no.

EVERYBODY who wants to can join and there will be no bias against newbies in the minor league draft. If so many g.m.s join then a cap would affect everybody equally: every team could go co-g.m., the newbies won't be singled out.

(The watered-down talent argument against having more teams isn't so weighty as this IS the minor league! I would personally like to see a full 28-team minor league. But it would be faster to have less teams, granted, and thus less is better, but no one will be turned away.)

Eliminate the call-up team.
We can axe it but it was a realistic and interesting twist, no? That is what happens to a minor league team! If they have a great performer he is called up.

Agreed it does penalize a great pick but only on regular season standings as you get the player back for the playoffs and everybody else gets to see how great he is by making the call-up list.

How do other g.m.s feel about that: axe the call-up players?

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Yes and no.

EVERYBODY who wants to can join and there will be no bias against newbies in the minor league draft. If so many g.m.s join then a cap would affect everybody equally: every team could go co-g.m., the newbies won't be singled out.

(The watered-down talent argument against having more teams isn't so weighty as this IS the minor league! I would personally like to see a full 28-team minor league. But it would be faster to have less teams, granted, and thus less is better, but no one will be turned away.)

We can axe it but it was a realistic and interesting twist, no? That is what happens to a minor league team! If they have a great performer he is called up.

Agreed it does penalize a great pick but only on regular season standings as you get the player back for the playoffs and everybody else gets to see how great he is by making the call-up list.

How do other g.m.s feel about that: axe the call-up players?

I'll stand behind my co-gm on this one...axe 'em!

Arrbez and I lost Tumba last time around and that was no fun.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Player selection should be based on what they have done, and not what they will do in the future, though it's understood that as a minor league team there is a bit of projection involved, especially with players whose careers were cut short by injury.

As long as it doesn't involves any "Jonathan Toews is a future 1200 pt scorer" kind of argument...

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
raleh and I will be competing under the name Moose Jaw Millers. My grandma watched Halifax RCAF star Doug Bentley play with the Millers when she was young.

Welcome back to Spit and TC. Especially Spit. Always good to have the draft originals involved.

VanI, I wouldn't have a problem with the call-ups if every team made the playoffs. But with non-playoff teams in this draft, it can cost a team a shot at the playoffs. The drop-off from Joe Watson to Bouwmeester and Souray is enormous. Watson was likely the best defenceman available in the last draft; Bouwmeester has yet to really prove himself beyond the international level.

If every team is going to make the playoffs, then keep the call-up. If not, drop the call-up system.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I am going to sit out this one. Wouldn't mind helping someone as long as they don't expect me to play too active a role. Would maybe be able to answer questions on players in late 50's thru the 70's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad