PP2: Gillies - Petrov - Darragh - Pronger - MacKay

PK1: Walker - MacKay - Johnson - Morrow
PK2: Muller - Nevin - Pronger - Wentworth

Last edited:

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Should be a doozy. It's pretty obvious that having played two series, Lemieux is due to sit one out. Right guys?

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Two of the best transition teams in the draft. The Devils can always have on the ice either Pronger or Niedermayer and this would be a competitive advantage against any team in my Jim Robson division but arrbez was wise to draft Suchy for his second pairing, "the European Bobby Orr" bringing speed and passing and puck movement up ice to all lines, a guarantee of depth of offensive opportunity. And with Oates-Hull on the second line, having Suchy on the second pairing makes that a deadly one-two punch as Chelios with Esposito's line will punch some holes themselves. That said, the Tigers also have Kevin Hatcher in what may be unnecessary offensive blueline depth at the cost of defensive excellence. For the games in New Jersey, Devils captain Dick Irvin, Sr. can - with last line change - put Mario in the offensive face-off circle against the third pairing or the undersized second pairing. Fortunately for the Tigers, their centres are almost ideal against Lemieux, big Espo probably the most likely to have problems getting burned by Mario's moves, Oates and Draper good positionally to force the pass but could be plowed through, and Shadrin almost a Soviet legend in penalty killing. I have no doubt that Chelios-Ragulin can physically and positionally contain Lemieux to a point per game on the road but in New Jersey the Tigers will have to score and indeed they have the guns to do so. But Aurora's back line is NOT as good playoff scoring as they may appear due to a couple of clutch goals (doesn't make them a "clutch scorer" per se! except at THAT particular time). The Tigers backline will not be a factor in the series I suspect whereas the Devils have not only a bit more grit but also ability to score on transition. New Jersey's third defensive pairing also seems well conceived as a defensive duo to play the PK and handle strategic face-offs in their own zone. In terms of the last line of defense, goaltending, Aurora has a backup who can step in and win, and may be the only goalie in the series with any hope of a shutout.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Being that everyone seems to be lower on Hatcher than I am (I guess I overvalued him, he seems to be more mistake prone than I remember), I'm gonna go ahead and switch in a much steadier option in Glen Wesley for him. Against a team that bosts Lemieux, it's just not worth the risk.

Hatcher's shot was a nice luxury on the first PP unit, but Ragulin has a cannon in hiw own right.

So my bottom pair is now Harris-Wesley, and my PP pairings are as such:

PP1: Oates - B. Hull - Esposito - Suchy - Ragulin
PP2: Shadrin - Lewis - Hodge - Chelios - Wesley

Last edited:

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Should be a doozy. It's pretty obvious that having played two series, Lemieux is due to sit one out. Right guys?

Actually, I think the injury question about Lemieux is legitimate, as it is concerning Pronger and Suchy. I look at the cumulative effect of all the games a player has played in the playoffs (and against which teams/lines/individuals) and compare that to his injury history when assessing how close to 100% I think he's going to be playing at any given point.

Lemieux is a guy who, if injuries aren't taken into account, should probably go before Gordie Howe and maybe even before Gretzky - his peak was that good - but he was also a guy who couldn't stay in one piece for very long. Mario just came off a tough series against a Guelph team with probably the nastiest top pairing in the league, and I doubt that Seibert and Brewer were playing two-hand-touch with him in the trenches. Before that, New Jersey faced a Toronto team which featured cheap-shot artist extraordinaire Gary Suter on the top pairing. Is it time to start asking how Mario is feeling? Perhaps. Mario's battles with Hodgkins are not relevant in my opinion (they took away some of his prime years, but that is already factored into everyone's evaluation of him), but his chronic back problems are.

Pronger, on the other hand, is probably ok. Keith Tkaczuk in the first round may have thrown a few checks his way and Bobby Hull certainly wasn't a waterlittly, but I think it would be unfair to Chris to assume that he's hobbling at this point. The matchups Pronger has faced weren't nearly as physical and dirty as MacInnis - Suter followed by Seibert - Brewer.

Suchy has only played one series, though he was mostly matched up against the likes of Naslund - Forsberg - Lemieux, which is a pretty rough crew. Naslund might not hurt a pee-wee skater, but Forsberg and Lemieux are both strong, dirty sons of *****es, so Suchy's health becomes something of a question, as well.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Lemieux is a guy who, if injuries aren't taken into account, should probably go before Gordie Howe and maybe even before Gretzky - his peak was that good - but he was also a guy who couldn't stay in one piece for very long. Mario just came off a tough series against a Guelph team with probably the nastiest top pairing in the league, and I doubt that Seibert and Brewer were playing two-hand-touch with him in the trenches. Before that, New Jersey faced a Toronto team which featured cheap-shot artist extraordinaire Gary Suter on the top pairing. Is it time to start asking how Mario is feeling? Perhaps. Mario's battles with Hodgkins are not relevant in my opinion (they took away some of his prime years, but that is already factored into everyone's evaluation of him), but his chronic back problems are.

What's more, Chelios, Flaman and Ragulin are all tough hombres who will physically pressure Mario, especially Chelios who one could never say was above such things as playing dirty to get a win.

This also plays into my more controversial theory that Dick Irvin pushed his players past the breaking point.

That said, it somewhat countered by the questions surrounding Aurora. The character of the team, Tiny's playoff resume, etc.

One interesting note. New Jersey has a sub-par right side defense, but Aurora has limited offense from the left side. Aurora has defensively weak right wingers, but New Jersey also has offensively limited LWs. Meaningless, but kind of interesting.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
For the record, in years that he played at all, Mario only missed 8 playoff games in his career.

As for his back problems, the team was built to protect his back. Olmstead and Iginla are there to work the corner, boards and front of the net. Iginla is 53% on faceoffs for his career, and with Petrov, MacKay, MacLeish and Muller in the lineup, and Marshall and Morris in reserve, Mario doesn't need to take all the faceoffs, and can move to wing with minimal disruption. The team also rolls 4 lines as much as possible.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
For the record, in years that he played at all, Mario only missed 8 playoff games in his career.

As for his back problems, the team was built to protect his back. Olmstead and Iginla are there to work the corner, boards and front of the net. Iginla is 53% on faceoffs for his career, and with Petrov, MacKay, MacLeish and Muller in the lineup, and Marshall and Morris in reserve, Mario doesn't need to take all the faceoffs, and can move to wing with minimal disruption. The team also rolls 4 lines as much as possible.

It's an interesting thought. Post-injuries, he was always paired with at least one power forward. So, I wonder, if he started his career with at least one power forward on his wing, would that have effected injuries.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York

That is a good point, although the truth is that Mario often played hurt. He was all sorts of jacked up in the 1993 playoffs and really wasn't the same player, which was the biggest reason his Penguins went down to the Islanders. He still led the Penguins in points (though only barely), but wasn't anything close to the Conn-Smythe winner of the previous two seasons, and this was with a prime-years Kevin Stevens "protecting him" on the left wing. You could see the pain on Mario's face on almost every shift that postseason. He didn't look right in the little bit that I saw of either of Pittsburgh's first-round exits in the mid-90's, either.

Everyone always compares Mario to Wayne and at their peaks they are awfully close. I have a great deal of respect for Mario Lemieux; his regular-season career points/game is about the same as Wayne's for a reason. Mario rarely played hurt during the regular season (one reason he missed so many games), but he would play hurt during the playoffs (which is a testament to his toughness) and so it's no surprise that the points/game gap between the two widens considerably in the postseason.

The question isn't whether or not Mario will play, but which Mario will play. I wouldn't just assume he's hurt because he's Mario, but the physical matchups have been pretty brutal thus far, and they don't get any easier in this round. I think this series is probably where the cortizone comes out.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Game One:

Associated Press: Aurora

Game one of the Don Cherry Divisional Finals saw the New Jersey Devils pick up where they left off in the last round, winning another overtime thriller at 03:23 of the second extra frame on a Bert Olmstead goal. Each team scored a goal in all three periods in a game in which the lead changed hands three times. Mario Lemieux opened the scoring at 08:19 of the first on a slapper that rang off the inside of the right goalpost. It took Aurora until the end of the period to answer back, but the Tigers managed to even things up on a late powerplay goal by Brett Hull just moments before the buzzer sounded. The Tigers carried that momentum into the 2nd period and jumped out to a lead when Vlad Shadrin stripped the puck from Lemieux and worked a brilliant 2-on-1 with Herbie Lewis the other way, potting a tap-in goal when Lewis slipped a pass across the crease after faking Lumley to the ice. New Jersey would equalize only moments later when Jarome Iginla won the ensuing faceoff to Lemieux, who skated alone through the Aurora defense and fired a wrist shot far side over Thompson’s blocker. New Jersey took the lead at 12:53 of the third when Clark Gillies banged home a rebound of a Vlad Petrov shot and it looked like the lead would stand up until Phil Esposito found daylight in the slot and beat Lumley with a wrister before Chris Pronger could react. The teams played cautiously through the final two minutes of regulation but came out skating hard in overtime, creating chances at both ends before Olmstead collected a drop-pass from Lemieux and ended it.

Final Score: New Jersey 4 – Aurora 3
New Jersey leads the series 1 game to none

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Game Two:

Responding to criticism of his game one play at even strength and an earful from Harry Sinden on the Tigers’ bench in the latter part of the second period, Tiger’s star winger Brett Hull responded with a pair of goals in the third to bring Aurora back and preserve the split at home. “I don’t really want to get into what Harry said,†commented Hull, “but suffice it to say, things were getting pretty intense and we were looking at potentially going into New Jersey down 2-0. If our coach wasn’t trying to get us fired up in that situation, then I’d have some questions.†Until Hull’s outburst in the third, it was a hard-fought, tight-checking game on both sides with only Jack Darragh’s bad-bounce goal over Vachon’s shoulder in the box score. Said Hull of his third period heroics, “Adam just made one of his plays on that first goal and the second one…you know, I don’t really know how I found the angle for that shot. I guess I’m just really good.â€

Final Score: Aurora 2 – New Jersey 1
Series tied 1 game to 1

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Game Three:

Associated Press: New Jersey

Tonight, the New Jersey Devils responded in the back-and-forth battle that has defined this matchup, retaking the series lead on the strength of a Harry Lumley shutout. The Devils got early scores from defensemen Niedermayer and Johnson and simply shut down the neutral zone from that point forward. “Sorry to all the fans who didn’t get their five-goals-free-pizza, but my job is to win hockey games,†said Devils coach Dick Irvin. Lumley was the story on the night, as he outdueled returning Aurora game 1 starter Thompson and held on for the shutout despite heavy pressure from the Tigers in the third period. “It’s not easy dealing with those Aurora scoringlines,†said Lumley. “The triggermen are so talented and yet their shooting styles are so different. You don’t know Esposito’s got the puck half the time until the red light goes off while everyone in the building knows when Brett Hull’s about to shoot and you still can’t stop him. I guess I got lucky tonight.†Things got a little chippy in the third when Chris Chelios gave Jarome Iginla a facewash in front of the Aurora goal, leading to a shoving match and an exchange of colorful language. “That man has the worst-smelling gloves in the league,†said Iginla after the game, “he really needs to get that **** sprayed.â€

Final Score: New Jersey 2 – Aurora 0
New Jersey leads the series 2 games to 1

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Game Four:

“Just go out and take care of business at home and your life is a lot easier,†said Devils’ coach Dick Irvin Sr. at the postgame press conference. “I’m lucky to have a group of players who listen to what I say.†New Jersey opened up a commanding lead in the series on home ice tonight, consistently beating their opponents in all three zones. In a game in which their top line was slowed by the outstanding defense of Aurora’s top pairing, the Devils got scoring from all over the lineup on their way to a 5-2 victory and a stranglehold on the series. Wayne Cashman opened the scoring for Aurora when he finished a goalmouth scramble at 02:38 of the first, but the Tigers couldn’t get anything going after that, and watched New Jersey score a pair of unanswered goals later in the 1st, with Mickey MacKay and Jack Walker potting goals for New Jersey’s unheralded 3rd line. It was more of the same in the second period: Cy Wentworth and Rick MacLeish got on the scoresheet in a frame that saw the home team outshoot the visitors by a 14-3 margin. “The way Chelios and Ragulin were playing tonight, it’s nice to have that depth to fall back on,†said Devils coach Dick Irvin Sr. Aurora pressured in the third, but were only able to manage a powerplay goal from Ken Hodge before Kris Draper tallied shorthanded to put the game out of reach.

Final Score: New Jersey 5 – Aurora 2
New Jersey leads the series 3 games to 1

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Game Five:

Chris Chelios and the Aurora Tigers roared back to life on home ice tonight in the first elimination game they have faced in these playoffs. Chelios was seemingly everywhere on the ice, blocking shots, scoring, hitting and playing up to an overflowing Aurora home crowd. In an effort to boost the team’s sagging fortunes, Tigers management sold tickets over capacity for this game, and it was standing room only in the stadium through three periods, with spectators camped out in the aisles. “I really have no idea what that was all about,†said Chelios after the game, “I’m surprised no one called the fire marshall.†But it was Chelios, who was the main attraction on the night. After taking a drop pass from Shadrin, Chelios faked a slapper to bring Niedermayer to the ice and walked around the defenseman before beating Hap Holmes cleanly with a wrist shot to open the scoring at 14:23 of the 1st period. Five minutes later, he lined up Mario Lemieux crossing the blueline and delivered a vicious hit that was audible throughout the arena. Lemieux got up quickly, but was in obvious pain and went straight to the visitors’ dressing room, though he would return to start the second period. After conceding a goal to Jack Darragh at 15:10 of the second and losing a fight to Clark Gillies, Chelios again sparked the Tigers by cleverly chipping a puck to a streaking Paul Henderson, who collected it with speed in the neutral zone and beat Holmes through the 5-hole. “He was Bobby Orr, Bobby Hull and Bobby Boucher tonight,†said Phil Esposito of his teammate after the game.

Final Score: Aurora 2 – New Jersey 1
New Jersey leads the series 3 games to 2

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Game Six:

“No one beats us at home,†was all Mario Lemieux had to say to reporters on his way into the stadium before the game. The Devils’ captain was true to his word, dominating play in all three zones of the ice and accounting for New Jersey’s margin of victory in the game six clincher. “I asked Mario in practice if he wanted me to use the last change at home to keep him away from Chelios and he just smiled and said ‘**** that’,†said a chuckling Dick Irvin Sr. in the postgame press conference. Lemieux opened the scoring one minute into the game, stickhandling through Chelios’ legs 1-on-1 and then firing a slap shot from just outside of the crease. “I really thought he was faking that slapper from so close,†said Aurora starting goalie Rogie Vachon, who hardly moved on the play, “I mean, honestly: who does that?†Aurora would briefly tie the score at 06:43 of the second on a fine individual effort from Adam Oates before New Jersey reclaimed the lead midway through the period on a surprising rush up ice by Moose Johnson. Lemieux scored what would be the game winner at 14:23 of the second on another slapshot after taking a brilliant Bert Olmstead pass from the corner. Aurora got within one when Phil Esposito finished a fine tic-tac-toe passing play with Suchy and Hodge, but New Jersey’s defense held tough through late pressure and the Devils were able to put the game out of reach with one minute to go when Vlad Petrov scored into an open goal.

Final Score: New Jersey 4 – Aurora 2
New Jersey wins the series 4 games to 2

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Surprised it went six. Thought it would go seven. But my thoughts, entering the playoffs, were that New Jersey and Guelph were the two strongest teams in the division.

Congrats to BM on the series victory. Bring on the re-match from ATD #7 final.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I though it would go seven, as well. These were two great teams and I was prepared to write a series with high drama throughout, but when I saw it went six I decided against it. Any result of less than seven games indicates that the league doesn't feel the matchup was actually that close, so drama is unwarranted, in my opinion. Congratulations to both teams. New Jersey vs. Montreal should be a titanic conference finals matchup.

By the way, the three stars of the series:

1) Mario Lemieux
2) Chris Chelios
3) Brett Hull

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Congrats to BM. I think he won the series on depth, and deservedly so. Probably similar firepower up front, but I must admit that his defense from top to bottom was much more solid than mine (something I realized too late in the draft to do anything about, sadly). Hard to argue with Mario.

But I'm getting better at this. If my patter holds true I'm bound to win three rounds next year, so look out guys ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad