Montreal Wanderers

PP1: R.Martin - Sakic - Bure - Tremblay - Hollett
PP2: Secord - Savard - Larmer - Perreault- Bouchard

PK1: Poulin - Larmer - Tremblay - Bouchard
PK2: Sakic - Noble - Reise Jr. - Dutton

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
The big edge that the Wanderers had - chemistry - goes out the window here. The best reunited line in this series is the Kraut line. Dumart-Schmidt-Bauer is one of the most celebrated lines ever. Dumart and Schmidt were awesome all-round players. Schmidt's a top 30 player ever; Dumart is one of the few forwards in the HHOF largely on his defensive acumen.

I think from 1 to 13, Detroit has the best forwards in the draft. Mikita-Schmidt is an awesome 1-2 punch down the middle. The first line isn't the best - Goulet is a middling first line LW at best, and Drillion's in the bottom tier for first line RWs. But Mikita's there, and that answers a lot of questions.

The Kraut line is likely the best second line in the draft, and the Backstrom line is the best checking line in the draft. I feel bad for Joe Sakic, because he's going to have a tough time getting Bure and Noble to stop sulking after a couple games of frustration against these guys. Detroit's fourth line is double-tough. Pom Pom Tremblay is one of the best fourth line RWs in the draft. Trading up for Ferguson was a mistake, but he's still a good fourth line winger.

Montreal's going to have to find a way to get the Sakic line away from Backstrom's line. Either the French Connection or the Party Line will have to get out against the Mikita line a lot, because Detroit's second and fourth lines are equally tough to play against.

Is there a 13th forward in this draft with less purpose on his team than Tony Amonte? I'm not saying he's the worst 13th forward - okay, he probably is - but I look at Montreal, and there's nowhere he fits in. Can't play him on the first line. Second and third RW spots are gimmies. Can't play him there. And he'd be a liability on the fourth line.

I can't remember the last time I saw a second round series with two less descript defences. Laperriere's the best defenceman in the series. I think he was No. 25 on our list for No. 1 defencemen. I see lots of good defencemen in this series - Laperriere, Johnson, Bouchard, Tremblay - but nobody who's going to play 30 minutes a night and carry his team on his back. The other defencemen in this series are good, too. No glaring weaknesses in either team's defence, other than the presence of a dominant all-round defenceman who can play 30 minutes a game and be the first star in this series.

As good as Laperriere is, no defenceman will mean more to his team than Butch Bouchard. A fantastic defensive defenceman with a punishing physical side, he'll be out there against Mikita every chance he gets. if Montreal's going to win, they need Bouchard to be their second-most important player, behind only....

Terry Sawchuk. To some, he's the best goalie ever. This is Montreal's biggest edge. The question is, is it big enough? Because Frank Brimsek's a top 20 goalie of all-time. And I don't think the difference between 1 and 20 is that significant. But Sawchuk is capable of stealing a series, even against a team as good as the Eagles.

Not much to choose between the coaches. Burns is demanding, but he always got the most out of his team in their first year. Give Detroit a slight edge there. Neilson has his detractors, but there's no denying his strategic brilliance. His mind never stopped moving, and he had a lot of players over the years who would go through a wall for him.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Trading up for Ferguson was a mistake, but he's still a good fourth line winger.

Why the trading up so important? Can you just base your argument on the position he has been taken instead?

Guys like Ferguson are important in the fact that they have the ability to shift the momentum from one side to his team side. Gretzky and Orr can do it in their way, but at 360something spot, no one can spark a team and change the momentum of a team as effectively as John Ferguson.

Right out of February 1970 Hockey Illustrated:
Bob Porter said:
Rating the boys for their strategical value in a game is quite another story. When a fight is a must to slow down the opposition or stir a spark in their own team some quite different lads come to the fore. These ratings:

1-John Ferguson, Montreal-Without a doubt, Fergy is the top banana. He can spark a team
On the list, Gordie Howe is 2nd, Reg Flaming is 3rd, Carl Brewer 4th, Ted Harris 5th, Derek Sanderson 6th and Eric Nesterenko 7th.

But hey, I've been arguing about him for the past month. While some GM's tried to make us believe some things on a player by only telling so, I've gave loads of information (magazine, internet sites, videos etc ...) about his abilities and his quality on and off the ice, but I guess when your mind is already made up ...

I don't mind if I traded up, picking John Ferguson at 364 was a good pickup for my team. Perhaps GBC you should ask a thing or two on Ferguson to your co-GM raleh, who had him on his team a couple of draft ago and took him about 40 spots higher than me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll come up with something either tonight or tomorrow.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Why the trading up so important? Can you just base your argument on the position he has been taken instead?

Guys like Ferguson are important in the fact that they have the ability to shift the momentum from one side to his team side. Gretzky and Orr can do it in their way, but at 360something spot, no one can spark a team and change the momentum of a team as effectively as John Ferguson.

Right out of February 1970 Hockey Illustrated:

On the list, Gordie Howe is 2nd, Reg Flaming is 3rd, Carl Brewer 4th, Ted Harris 5th, Derek Sanderson 6th and Eric Nesterenko 7th.

But hey, I've been arguing about him for the past month. While some GM's tried to make us believe some things on a player by only telling so, I've gave loads of information (magazine, internet sites, videos etc ...) about his abilities and his quality on and off the ice, but I guess when your mind is already made up ...

I don't mind if I traded up, picking John Ferguson at 364 was a good pickup for my team. Perhaps GBC you should ask a thing or two on Ferguson to your co-GM raleh, who had him on his team a couple of draft ago and took him about 40 spots higher than me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll come up with something either tonight or tomorrow.
raleh picked him in the 17th round in that draft you were referring to. You got him in the 13th round. That's a world of difference.

Now that we're in a 28-team draft, the comparison I look at is which round a player was taken in, instead of which spot they were taken. The fourth liners, marginal third liners, third-pairing defencemen and back-up goalies are going to go a lot later than they used to when the draft was 16, 17 or 20 teams.

I don't have a problem with Ferguson as a fourth liner. He's a good player. He's not just a goon. (Contrary to what some would tell you). But he's not good enough to trade up to pick him in the 13th round. 17th or 18th round, I'd definitely pick Ferguson.

A player would have to be a top-notch fourth liner (Hunter, Muller, etc.) for me to pick him in the first 12-15 rounds. I got Risebrough in the 16th round, and he was top five on my list for fourth line centres.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
A player would have to be a top-notch fourth liner (Hunter, Muller, etc.) for me to pick him in the first 12-15 rounds. I got Risebrough in the 16th round, and he was top five on my list for fourth line centres.

That doesn't have anything to do with the Detroit vs. Montreal playoffs round, but I'd take gastritis ahead of Hunter in my lineup.

Mainly because the gastritis is gone after a few days.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
A player would have to be a top-notch fourth liner (Hunter, Muller, etc.) for me to pick him in the first 12-15 rounds.

To anchor my fourth line I would take Ferguson before both of them. Muller is the better player, but as MXD said, I wouldn't touch Hunter with a 10 feet poll.

Oh yea, both of them have been taken 2 rounds before Ferguson.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
GAME 1: Montreal Wanderers at Detroit Falcons

The hockeytown crowd was out in full force tonight as the Falcons made their playoff debut. Rust showed a little bit early as Montreal carried the play for the first 10 minutes or so. Brimsek made several quality saves especially on the Sakic line. Minutes later Savard stole the puck from Ed Van Impe, undressed Harmon and scored an absolutely gorgeous goal to give Montreal a 1-0 lead. Rattled, Ferguson took a holding penalty on a streaking Perreault and Sakic converted the power play with one of his glorious wrist shots to make it 2-0. With the crowd taken from the game early, Montreal had several more quality chances and outshot the Falcons 17-7 in the first.

Pat Burns must have given the troops hell because they came out like a house of fire in the 2nd. The Falcons outshot Montreal 21-5 in the period but couldn't beat Sawchuk. He even denied Schmidt and Bauer on a 2 on 0 rush. Frustrated, Detroit didn't seem to have the same energy in the third, especially after Sawchuk stole what seemed like a sure thing one timer off Goulet's stick. The superstar goaltender made 38 saves in a 2-0 win, and hockeytown went home dissapointed on the first night of the playoffs.

BOXSCORE

First Period

1. (MON) Denis Savad (Unassisted) 11:34

2. (MON) Joe Sakic (Martin, Hollett) 13:12 (PP)

Shots: Det 7, Mon 17

Second Period

No Scoring

Shots: Det 21, Mon 5

Third Period

No Scoring

Shots: Det 10, Mon 8

Goaltending:

Brimsek: Stopped 28 of 30 shots
Sawchuk: Stopped 38 of 38 shots

Three Stars

1. Terry Sawchuk
2. Denis Savard
3. Milt Schmidt

Montreal leads 1-0

Last edited:

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
GAME 2: Montreal Wanderers at Detroit Falcons (Montreal leads 1-0)

The Detroit crowd was even louder on this night as they tried to get their first place Falcons back into this one. The rust appeared to be out of their system as the Falcons attacked Montreal with a non-stop forecheck in the first period. 6 minutes in Pavel Bure put his head down and tried to skate over the blue line... big mistake. Mikita drilled him with a gigantic hit right in the middle of the ice. Bure was shaken and wouldn't return. However, all of Detroit's pressure was again falling victim to the goaltending of Terry Sawchuk. He stopped 18 shots in the first period to continue his shut out streak. Brimsek made 9 saves of his own for Detroit.

The second was more of the same. After being outshot 10-2 in the first 8 minutes, Barry Beck challenged Ferguson to try and spark his team. It wasn't the wisest choice as big John busted Beck open and forced him to retire to the dressing room for stitches. Beck would return. Detroit continued to dominate the play but couldn't find the net. They fired 6 shots on Sawchuk on one power play, but were continually denied. With 45 seconds left in the period, a Hollett dump in took a funny hop off the boards as Brimsek went to play the puck. It ended up on the stick of Martin with a wide open net, and Montreal found themselves with a 1-0 lead after two despite being massively out played.

The third saw a desperate Detroit club throwing everything they could at Sawchuk. With just over 8 minutes to play, and frustrated afer another missed opportunity, Dumart got his stick up in Larmer's face in a scrum in front of the Montreal goal. The crosscheck meant a major penalty and now Brimsek was called upon. He made 8 huge saves on the PK including an incredible low pad save off of Martin. Schmidt then caught Perreault on a bad pinch as he played the point on the power play, took the puck deep inside Montreal's zone... Bouchard forced him to the outside towards the corner, so Schmidt just threw the puck from just behind the goal line towads the net and it hit off the back of Sawchuk's pad and bounced in to the net for a massive short handed goal. The hex was broken and Detroit was finally on the board.

OVERTIME

Joe Sakic was a man possessed in the first overtime. He had at least 4 good scoring chances including a breakaway stopped by the shaft of Brimsek's stick. But when Sakic's line was on the bench, Detroit carried the play in Overtime. Sawchuk had made 13 saves with three minutes remaining in OT when Johnson jumped into the rush, drew Reise Jr to him and fed Mikita for a gorgeous tip in backhand that sent the crowd into a huge roar. Mikita had Hollett draped all over him and still somehow found the puck to score the overtime winner.

BOXSCORE

First Period

No Score

Shots: Det 18, Mon 9

Second Period

1. (MON) Rick Martin (Hollett) 19:17

Shots: Det 15, Mon 8

Third Period

2. (DET) Milt Schmidt (Unassisted) 17:12 (SH)

Shots: Det 10, Mon 12

Overtime

3. (DET) Stan Mikita (Johnson, Drillon) 16:33

Shots: Det 14, Mon 7

Goaltending:

Brimsek: Stopped 34 of 36 shots
Sawchuk: Stopped 55 of 57 shots

THREE STARS

1. Terry Sawchuk
2. Stan Mikita
3. Milt Schmidt

Series Tied 1-1

Last edited:

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
GAME 3: Detroit Falcons at Montreal Wanderers (Series tied 1-1)

The big news heading into the game in Montreal was that apparently Terry Sawchuk was sick with food poisoning. No one knew whether or not he'd be able to start for Montreal. The crowd was buzzing as everyone knew Sawchuk was the biggest factor in the Wanderers earning a split on the road. Pelle Lindbergh took the warm up alone, but when the teams emerged from the dressing room to start the game it was Sawchuk in the Montreal net greeted by a massive ovation.

Spurred on by that emotional lift, Montreal jumped all over the Falcons early and a returning Pavel Bure took a terrific feed from Sakic, got behind Van Impe and Harmon, and scored on a ridiculous deke to his forehand to make it 1-0 Montreal. The Wanderers got on their heels a bit after that. Lambert took a hooking penalty and then Larmer accidentally got his stick high on Goulet to make it a 5 on 3. Sawchuk did everything he could, but finally Mikita tipped in an Art Ross point shot to tie the game.

Sawchuk did not return to the ice in the second period. Apprently his sickness had overcome him. Bure also stayed in the dressing room complaining of soarness related to the hit by Mikita in Game 2. Lindbergh started strong with 8 early saves, but the Falcons were too much for him. Goulet, Bauer and Mikita scored in the second to put Detroit up 4-1. They added goals from Mikita (a hat trick) and Provost in the third period. Larmer answered for Montreal, and Bure returned in the final five minutes to score a meaningless but pretty goal to make it 6-3 Detroit.

BOXSCORE

First Period

1. (MON) Pavel Bure (Sakic, Tremblay) 13:11

2. (DET) Stan Mikita (Ross, Johnson) 18:24 (PP)

Shots: Mon 12 Det 11

Second Period

3. (DET) Michel Goulet (Mikita, Johnson) 9:10

4. (DET) Bobby Bauer (Schmidt, Dumart) 11:03

5. (DET) Stan Mikita (Goulet, Drillon) 14:12

Shots: Mon 8 Det 16

Third Period

6. (DET) Stan Mikita (Goulet, Lapperierre) 5:12

7. (MON) Joe Sakic (Noble, Tremblay) 7:22

8. (DET) Claude Provost (Backstrom) 11:10

9. (MON) Pavel Bure (Sakic) 17:03

Shots: Mon 14, Det 10

Goaltending:

Brimsek: Stopped 31 of 34 shots
Sawchuk: Stopped 10 of 11 shots
Lindbergh: Stopped 21 of 26 shots

THREE STARS

1. Stan Mikita
2. Michel Goulet
3. Joe Sakic

Detroit leads 2-1

Last edited:

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
GAME 4: Detroit Falcons at Montreal Wanderers (Detroit leads 2-1)

Terry Sawchuk returned to the Montreal net, but didn't look quite like himself. He fumbled a couple of early shots, and Dumart beat him with a slap shot from just over the blue line for a 1-0 Detroit lead. Schmidt continued Detroit's strong first period by driving the net and scoring on his own rebound to make it 2-0 after one. Brimsek was huge in goal for Detroit as the Wanderers actually outshot the Falcons in the first.

Schmidt scored again in the second period to make it 3-0 Detroit early. The life had come out of the rink and things didn't look good for the Wanderers. Sawchuk was obviously not at 100% and perhaps it was time for Neilson to go with Lindbergh again? Goulet was then tripped up by Bouchard on a mini-break and was awarded a penalty shot. Sawchuk stopped him and it seemed to give him a lift. He made 8 more saves in the period before Perreault converted a PP with a hard point shot to make it 3-1 Detroit after 2.

Sawchuk was terrific in the third period stopping all 13 shots he faced. However, Brimsek had been playing a great game and it looked like he would be too much for Montreal on this night. With 4 minutes left Talbot blew a tire in the neutral zone allowing Secord to break in alone on Brimsek and score. Montreal piled on the pressure after that, but Brimsek stood tall and made a wonderful save off of a Bure one timer in the slot. The Wanderers pulled Sawchuk with a minute and a half to play but Brimsek stood tall. Backstrom hit the post on a long shot at the empty net, Perreault carried the puck up the ice and dumped it in deep. Sakic found the puck in the corner and threw it into the slot with 8 seconds to play. Somehow Steve Larmer (off the bench just 15 seconds before that) knocked the puck in the mess of bodies in front and tied the game. The crowd went absolutely bonkers.

OVERTIME

Nothing was solved in the first overtime as both sides played very tentatively. Brimsek did make a huge save on Mikita's snap shot with 3 minutes left. In the second overtime Sawchuk stopped 5 shots on one Detroit power play and Montreal got some momentum. Sakic and Bure came in on a two one one, but Backstrom caught up to the play and broke it up. On a rush the other way Schmidt got taken down into the Montreal net just as Dumart would've had Sawchuk beat... but the net came off. Off that face off Poulin pushed the puck forward, Tommy Dunderdale stole it from Laperriere and surprised Brimsek with a blast from the top of the face off circle that went off the post and in. A shocking goal from Montreal's fourth line completes a huge come back and a 4-3 win.

BOXSCORE

First Period

1. (DET) Woody Dumart (Schmidt, Laperriere) 4:12

2. (DET) Milt Scmidt (Dumart, Bauer) 9:44

Shots: Mon 15 Det 9

Second Period

3. (DET) Milt Schmidt (Dumart, Laperriere) 5:10

4. (MON) Gilbert Perreault (Savard) PP 18:11

Shots: Mon 10, Det 12

Third Period

5. (MON) Al Secord (Unassisted) 3:55

6. (MON) Steve Larmer (Sakic, Perreault) 19:53

Shots: Mon 9, Det 13

Overtime

No Scoring

Shots: Mon 8, Det 8

Second Overtime

7. (MON) Tommy Dunderdale (Poulin) 10:01

Shots: Mon 5, Det 6

Goaltending:

Brimsek: Stopped 42 of 46 shots
Sawchuk: Stopped 45 of 48 shots

THREE STARS

1. Milt Schmidt
2. Terry Sawchuk
3. Tommy Dunderdale

Series tied at 2

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
GAME 5: Montreal Wanderers at Detroit Falcons (Series tied at 2)

Frank Brimsek was on a mission in the first period. Montreal, emboldened by the overtime win and come back in game 4, put on all sorts of pressure to start the game. They fired 21 shots on the Detroit goal and got absolutely nothing by Brimsek. After a miss on a 2-1, Bure smashed his stick into the boards several times and earned an unsportsmanline penalty. Detroit converted on the power play when Mikita knocked home the rebound of Goulet's shot.

The frustrated Wanderers were much less effective in the second, only managin 6 shots on net and spending much of it in the penalty box. Sawchuk saved their butts to make sure the game was still close. He stopped 13 shots in the period and held Detroit to a 1-0 lead.

Neilson, frustrated with the play of his top line, put Larmer and Savard with Sakic in the third period. They found some jump together and created 5 good scoring chances in several really good shifts in the third. However, Frank Brimsek stood tall. He stopped 18 more shots to preserve a gigantic shut out. Backstrom scored on the empty net after blocking an Art Ross point shot to ice a 2-0 Detroit victory in front of a very appreciative crowd.

BOXSCORE

First Period

1. (DET) Stan Mikita (Goulet, Ross) 18:44

Shots: Det 7, Mon 21

Second Period

No scoring

Shots: Det 13, Mon 6

Third Period

2. (DET) Ralph Backstrom (Unassisted) 19:20 (EN)

Shots: Det 5, Mon 18

Goaltending:

Brimsek: Stopped 45 of 45 shots
Sawchuk: Stopped 23 of 24 shots

THREE STARS

1. Frank Brimsek
2. Stan Mikita
3. Ralph Backstrom

Detroit leads the series 3-2

Last edited:

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
GAME 6: Detroit Falcons at Montreal Wanderers (Detroit leads 3-2)

It didn't take long for Montreal to break Frank Brimsek's hold on their shooters. After failing to score once on 45 shots in game 6, the Wanderers opened the scoring 45 seconds into Game 6 when Steve Larmer dug the puck out of the corner and got it to Joe Sakic whose wrist shot found the top corner. Sawchuk held the lead for Montreal the rest of the way through the first until Beck took a penalty near the end of the period. Johnson broke his stick on a one timer, Steve Larmer took Poulin's pass in alone to beat Brimsek shothanded and made it 2-0 Montreal after one.

It looked like Sawchuk would have Detroit's number again in this game. He turned aside 12 more shots in the second period to hold his team's 2-0 lead. Brimsek improved his play in the second and stopped Bure (now playing on a make-shift line with Secord and Noble that was spending most of their time on the bench) on a breakaway. Savard and Sakic created a couple of more great chances as well. Mikita and Schmidt both had 3 shots for Detroit but Sawchuk turned them all away.

The come back started early in the third period when Backstrom stole a pass inside his own zone and fed a streaking Provost. His shot hit the post, but Gilles Tremblay put the rebound in to break Sawchuk's shut out and pull Detroit within one. The rest of the period was Sawchuk vs. The Falcons as Montreal tried desperately to hold on to their lead. Martin took an ill-timed penalty with 4:45 to go, but Sawchuk was mamoth in killing it off. Martin then picked up a clearing attempt right out of the penalty box and hit the crossbar on a breakaway. Detroit quickly transitioned the puck, and Schmidt found Bauer in front on a one timer to tie the game.

Detroit kept up the pressure with a couple of minutes left. Sawchuk kept turning them aside. The Mikita line was back out with 45 seconds to play. Goulet got the puck to Art Ross whose shot was blocked by Steve Larmer. But the block came right back to Ross and his blast hit off Stan Mikita's shinpad and beat Sawchuk with only 22 seconds left in the game. Montreal sent Savard, Perreault, Sakic, Bure, Martin and Hollett to try and tie it, but Backstrom broke up a pass at the point and cleared the puck to end it. Detroit stuns Montreal with a third period come back and a 4-2 series win.

BOXSCORE

First Period

1. (MON) Joe Sakic (Larmer, Savard) 0:45

2. (MON) Steve Larmer (Poulin) 18:55 (SH)

Shots: Mon 13, Det 10

Second Period

No Scoring

Shots: Mon 8, Det 12

Third Period

3. (DET) Gilles Tremblay (Provost, Backstrom) 1:33

4. (DET) Bobby Bauer (Schmidt, Johnson) 17:49

5. (DET) Stan Mikita (Ross, Goulet) 19:38

Shots: Mon 9, Det 16

Goaltending:

Brimsek: Stopped 28 of 30 shots
Sawchuk: Stopped 35 of 38 shots

THREE STARS

1. Steve Larmer
2. Stan Makita
3. Bobby Bauer

Detroit wins the series 4-2

Last edited:

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
SERIES STARS

1. Stan Mikita (6G, 1A, 3 game winners)
2. Milt Schmidt (3G, 3A)
3. Terry Sawchuk (2 wins, 1 shut out, .954 save percentage)

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
SERIES STARS

1. Stan Mikita (6G, 1A, 3 game winners)
2. Milt Schmidt (3G, 3A)
3. Terry Sawchuk (3 wins, 1 shut out, .954 save percentage)

Hummm... how could Sawchuck have 3 wins in this one? :)

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I thought it was a very good write-up, mullin. You have to be careful not to put too much information into these things, as it is only the second round. I like to make my recaps a bit longer for the final games, but I don't think a lot of GMs have the time or the inclnation to read really long descriptions of every game in a second round series. Well-written and I do like the boxscores.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
I thought the easy part was that just the box scores themselves can explain basically what happened, but if you want more detail it's there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad