PP1: n/a
PP2: n/a

PK1: n/a
PK2: n/a

Last edited:

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
One change VanI, I'm going to sub in Marotte for Kuzkin to add some more toughness onto my blueline.

The PP units will be adjusted as so:

PP1: Schriner - Primeau - C. Conacher - Orr - Rousseau
PP2: K.Stevens - Nighbor - Litzenberger - L. Conacher - Day

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
My first impressions:

I just don't see Edmonton having the scoring in their lineup to pull this one out. I think I have a clear edge in nearly every position in our relative top-6 forwards and in terms of offense from the defense. I believe that we have 3 of the top 4 offensive defensemen in the series with Orr, Conacher and Day.

I feel we have enough size and grit in the top-6 to fight through the tough defense that Edmonton has. I also think our defense has the toughness to compete with Edmonton's fowards (none of them would be considered soft, while Conacher, Hitchman and Marotte were very tough).

Prentice-Weiland-Rousseau will face off against Goring's line. They have the speed and offensive creativity to capitalize on the less than stellar defensive play from Mogilny/Ovechkin. I feel comfortable either going head to head with our top lines or having our second line match up against Shanahan's line.

Plante gives Edmonton an advantage in net and we don't have the same level of physical play. Lemaire and Day is a good coaching matchup, two of the best defensive coaches of all time. I do have questions as to how much freedom Lemaire will give his players to play physically and how well Ovechkin and Mogilny will buy into his system.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
This one is going to be a beauty. I think the real winner will be the team that faces the survivor of this series, because it's going to be a war. Nanaimo and Edmonton were the two best teams in the last draft, for my money (I'll admit it: I picked Edmonton to beat Nanaimo in the last draft), and I was shocked that Edmonton finished seventh in their division. It's a tough division, but Edmonton's better than a last place team.

Edmonton's going to need Plante to play like the best goalie ever to win this thing. Benedict's a top 20 goalie, but the edge goes to Plante.

Edmonton went with their coach a lot earlier than most (I think Lemaire was the second coach picked), but Day is the better coach. Day's one of the top five or six coaches in the draft.

The one thing about this Edmonton team is they don't strike me as the machine that eliminated my boys in the last draft. The last draft's Oilers were very similar to this draft's Raiders. These Oilers have more skill. But they aren't as tough. A guy like Mogilny strikes me as the type who doesn't fit in with Murphy or Lemaire.

Murphy might want to move Maruk to the second line and bump Goring to the third. Goring just doesn't work as a second line pivot. The first line doesn't have a true ace, a top 10 player at his position, but three players who look like they will work well together.

It's going to be tough sledding for Nanaimo to score. Outside of the second line, all three of Edmonton's lines can match up against the opposition's best. All six of their defence are very tough to play against. I don't see a defensive weak spot on the Oilers. They might not be great at moving the puck - Horton and Wilson are likely the best. As Jim Hughson said a couple weeks ago about the Canucks defence: you might be able to hear the Oilers breakout passes.

Nanaimo has to solve the Oilers defensive shell and goaltending, or we will have new champions. And Nanaimo has the players who can make a difference. pit reunited two-thirds of the famous Kid Line, and gave them a dangerous third banana in Sweeney Schriner - a guy who fits into the "he's always drafted too late" class. Second line is a good blend of two-way ability and toughness. The third line is a classic two-way line.

The best player, best defenceman and best offensive player is on Nanaimo. Orr is a big difference-maker. Nanaimo's defence isn't a slouch, either, when it comes to taking care of their own end.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
- simply put, if Edmonton wins this series it will be because Nanaimo is broken, beaten and battered. I think the Clippers are the better team in most 1 vs. 1 comparisons in this series, but they are also probably the most fragile team in the draft in terms of top-end talent. Playing The Edmonton Executioners in the first round is a nightmare matchup for pit's team.

- Bobby Orr, Charlie Conacher, Kevin Stevens and maybe Joe Primeau (an injury in his shortened 34-35 season is the most likely explanation as to why Joe fell off so quickly in the season before he retired), as well - Nanaimo's high-end players will need to stay healthy for the team to advance, not just to the second round, but throughout the playoffs. A first round matchup against this Oilers team that goes to 6 or 7 games could be lethal to the Clips' chances of getting deep into the playoffs. Nanaimo will need to use home ice to avoid undesirable matchups and finish Edmonton off quickly for this series to be counted as anything more than a Pyrrhic victory.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
- Bobby Orr, Charlie Conacher, Kevin Stevens and maybe Joe Primeau (an injury in his shortened 34-35 season is the most likely explanation as to why Joe fell off so quickly in the season before he retired), as well - Nanaimo's high-end players will need to stay healthy for the team to advance, not just to the second round, but throughout the playoffs. A first round matchup against this Oilers team that goes to 6 or 7 games could be lethal to the Clips' chances of getting deep into the playoffs. Nanaimo will need to use home ice to avoid undesirable matchups and finish Edmonton off quickly for this series to be counted as anything more than a Pyrrhic victory.

I definitely agree that injuries are a concern. But I do think that someone who had chronic injuries (like Orr and Conacher) are in a slightly different boat than someone who faced a large, almost fluke, devastating injury (like Stevens).

I'm also considering that using Orr and Conacher in reduced roles compared to what they played during their times (sometimes half to two-thirds of the game) would save them from the debilitating injuries they faced.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I definitely agree that injuries are a concern. But I do think that someone who had chronic injuries (like Orr and Conacher) are in a slightly different boat than someone who faced a large, almost fluke, devastating injury (like Stevens).

If Stevens were able to come back from it, I wouldn't really dock him for the one freak injury, but he was never the same player again. A shortened career/peak is what it is, and when it is caused by an injury, the player's health becomes a question mark in my mind.

I still have no idea what to say about Bill Barilko, Hod Stuart, Charlie Gardiner and Frank McGee, other than that they should be kept away from airplanes, rocks, brain hemorrhages and machine guns, respectively.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Damn, Nanaimo again!!

I agree with GBC that the Oilers aren't quite the machine they were last draft, but the Clippers seem seem to be missing something as well. Not sure this series can live up to the epic 7 game battle from last draft but I'll concede it would be an upset for the Oilers to take the Clippers in this one.

That said there are a few signs of a possible upset here. First of which would be the physical mis-match here. I don't see the Clippers being able to sustain much pressure. They'll be fast and good on the rush but they're not going to dominate in the offensive end. I don't see the forwards being able to consistantly forecheck and cycle much in the Oilers end. Other than of course Orr.

Bobby Orr is the best player here no doubt. I was putting together a defensively strong team and Lemaire seemed to be the best candidate to coach. If anyone can put together a team that can defend against Orr I would think it would be Lemaire. At the least I wouldn't expect 4 guys chasing Orr around in our defensive end with a Lemaire coached team. At best I would hope to see a frustrated Orr that has his lanes clogged up and taking a bit of abuse here and there.

I'll add more to the offensive game plan later in the day

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I just don't see Edmonton having nearly enough offense.
I think they have more offence than the last draft. And they have better goaltending (Vachon/Giacomin in the last draft; Plante in this draft).

If Mogilny's head is on straight, he's a game-breaker. Big "if" with Mogs. I'm not a fan of picking from the kiddie corps in this thing, but Ovechkin is a two-time all-star. And Middleton's a star, a fine offensive talent and a two-way contributor. Guys like Shanahan, Lemaire and Maruk (if he moves into the line-up) can be very good contributors offensively.

I don't think Edmonton's as well built as they were in the last draft. They should have been the champs in the last draft. It seemed like every pick had a reason; every pick fit into their plan. I don't get that sense with this team. The top two lines aren't as mean. If Murphy had Mogilny instead of Broadbent in the last draft, I might have beat him.

The defence is tough, maybe the toughest in this draft. But can they move the puck? Horton can. His numbers are only low because he never got involved offensively. But the guy was quick, creative and he had a hard shot. Behn Wilson can. And Craig Hartsburgh can. But none of them are true offensive defencemen, and the other three defencemen struggle to move the puck. Incidentally, Murphy, I only see two spares on your roster. Who's the third? But the forwards aren't as rabid as the last draft.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
A few drafts ago, maybe even the last one the team with Bobby Orr ran into a Scott Stevens lead team in the first round. There was a lot of talk about Orr cutting across the blue line and running into a train. Orr won't be pulling his end to end rushes with his head down if he wants to keep his head on in this series because while Edmonton doesn't have the toughness up front that they have in the past, the blue line is as tough as they come. Horton and Boivin is the scariest pairing I've ever seen in an ATD, Konstantinov is also double tough. Horton was the strongest player in league history, I know I've said it before and it's getting old, but anything Stevens could do Horton could do better. Boivin is better than he's getting credit for, especially paired with Horton. He could throw as good a hip check as anybody and was a tremendous leader.

I do love Nanaimo's first line though, I'll call Edmonton in 7. It's unfortunate that one of these teams has to be eliminated...

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
I think they have more offence than the last draft. And they have better goaltending (Vachon/Giacomin in the last draft; Plante in this draft).

If Mogilny's head is on straight, he's a game-breaker. Big "if" with Mogs. I'm not a fan of picking from the kiddie corps in this thing, but Ovechkin is a two-time all-star. And Middleton's a star, a fine offensive talent and a two-way contributor. Guys like Shanahan, Lemaire and Maruk (if he moves into the line-up) can be very good contributors offensively.

I don't think Edmonton's as well built as they were in the last draft. They should have been the champs in the last draft. It seemed like every pick had a reason; every pick fit into their plan. I don't get that sense with this team. The top two lines aren't as mean. If Murphy had Mogilny instead of Broadbent in the last draft, I might have beat him.

The defence is tough, maybe the toughest in this draft. But can they move the puck? Horton can. His numbers are only low because he never got involved offensively. But the guy was quick, creative and he had a hard shot. Behn Wilson can. And Craig Hartsburgh can. But none of them are true offensive defencemen, and the other three defencemen struggle to move the puck. Incidentally, Murphy, I only see two spares on your roster. Who's the third? But the forwards aren't as rabid as the last draft.

The Oilers definitely aren't as well built this draft, unfortunately I had to wing it for most of it. Not sure if I recovered after licking my chops thinking I had Messier to build around either. Damned Inmate!

That said though...........

Goring will stay with Mogilny & Ovechkin. The thinking being is that there are few better at defensive support than Goring. As said earlier I don't think I'll be caught running around my own end that much. Goring is a big reason why and he'll play the minutes. There won't be 120' pretty passes to get it out of my end. It'll be defense to center to wing and out. Simple & effective. Mogilny & Ovechkin can take over from there and do what they do best. In the offensive zone Goring is a forechecking dynamo, he can force the turnovers and if the puck gets to either of them, they can cause damage, all in a secondary scoring role. I know its a weird looking line at first but thinking about more I think it'll be pretty effective.

Pretty much the same game plan with the first line other than Shanahan & Middleton are better two-way players and should be harder to play and score against. They'll have a little more free reign offensively with Lemaire as primarily a......defensive babysitter.

I can see Nanaimo getting stymied pretty good and the Oilers having enough to chip in a few, enough to make a difference anyways. Not sure if the Clippers have enough to get through very consistantly and when they do, there is Plante they have to deal with.

GBC, My third spare is the bench boss, Billy Reay. With two playing coaches in the series there's another advantage to the Oilers. That is if we look at that way and not as clones coaching?

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
That said there are a few signs of a possible upset here. First of which would be the physical mis-match here. I don't see the Clippers being able to sustain much pressure. They'll be fast and good on the rush but they're not going to dominate in the offensive end. I don't see the forwards being able to consistantly forecheck and cycle much in the Oilers end. Other than of course Orr.

I don’t think the physical advantage is that big really, outside of your third line and a slight advantage on defense.

While Horton/Boivin/Konstantinov/Wilson/Tinordi are a formidable grouping, our blueline boasts Conacher/Hitchman/Marotte who were at least as physical as those guys, and a couple of players in Orr/Day/McCrimmon who were tough enough. I also think that the Oilers give up defensive ability in order to have such a tough defense. Outside of Horton, Boivin to small extent and Konstantinov for a short time, none of the Oiler’s defensemen stand out as being amongst the best in their respective eras. Orr and Conacher are decorated enough, Day was arguably the most responsible of the Leaf’s trio, McCrimmon was one of the best defensive defensemen of his era and Hitchman was a Hart runner-up and people felt he was better defensively than Shore (according to Hockey Outsider’s post in the HoH All-Star voting thread). So while my defense gives up some physicality, I believe they have a significant edge offensively and a slight edge defensively.

Looking at the forwards, aside from the Oilers’ third line being much more physical than the Clippers, I don’t see a big advantage either. Shanahan and Conacher are the two most physical players on the top lines, and I give Conacher a slight edge. Lemaire and Primeau were both gritty centers while I don’t think that either Schriner or Middleton gives either team an edge. Looking at the respective second lines, Stevens and Ovechkin stand out as the two most physical players, and Stevens played more of a power forward type role. Goring has an edge of Nighbor, but I’d say the lines are a wash. While Williams is obviously the toughest of either team’s fourth lines, both teams have gritty competitors at every position and I don’t think the advantage Williams gives is huge. Plus I think he may be a bit of a liability out there, especially considering the penalties that he took, so I feel as though my team could take advantage of that.

I don’t know if I agree with that sentiment at all. Last draft Edmonton had Terrible Ted and Nels Stewart, both of whom are better offensive players than anyone they have now. Sittler would probably be fourth between the two teams, plus they had guys like Punch Broadbent, Al Secord and Glenn Anderson for depth. I don’t see anywhere near the scoring potential that Edmonton had last time.

I think this will be a huge struggle for Edmonton, especially on a Lemaire coached team. While guys like Horton/Hartsburg/Wilson are solid puck movers, they aren’t great in an ATD context. I think this will create problems in Edmonton’s counter-attack.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Just being nitpicky here Pit, because your point still rings true, but I would say that Horton would be considered a great puck mover no matter what the context.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I think most people have brought up the major issues in the series. Here are a few smaller points I've thought of:

- Murphy, would you consider playing Maruk? Obviously he doesn't match your team's style, but he might be a valuable asset on the powerplay. In fact, Ovechkin/Maruk/Mogilny might be one of the most purely skilled lines in the draft. This would be an inconsistent line, but, at its best, it could certainly outscore Nanaimo's second unit.

- I think that penalties might be a problem for the Oilers' blueline. All of the guys except Horton were highly penalized and could spend a large part of the game in the box. Obviously this is a price to pay when you have a tough, aggressive, excellent defensive blueline, but this could have been offset with a tough but clean player like Ken Morrow or Bill Hajt (both of whom would have fit into the Oilers' team concept perfectly). Something tells me that Horton will have to play a LOT of minutes... normally he can handle it, but not when he's chasing Bobby Orr 30 minutes per game.

- The Clippers might be vulnerable to shorthanded rushes, especially when they have four forwards on the PP. Obviously Orr is fast and Rousseau is good defensively, but Goring, Lemaire, and Gainey are all very aggressive and scored a lot of SHGs. Both PP units have a lot of talent; if they make too many pretty passes, the might pay for it with SHGs.

- How will Day do as a player/coach? (I haven't really looked into this, but who were the most recent player/coaches in the NHL, and how did they do?) Will Day be able to come up with appropriate strategies if he's exhausted playing 23 min (I would guess) against a very physical opponent?

- Pitseleh, keep Henry on the bench in this series. He's the type of player that the Oilers would destroy (small, non-physical, not much of a playoff reputation) and your forwards already have the advantage in scoring.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
- How will Day do as a player/coach? (I haven't really looked into this, but who were the most recent player/coaches in the NHL, and how did they do?) Will Day be able to come up with appropriate strategies if he's exhausted playing 23 min (I would guess) against a very physical opponent?

Since he had to draft him twice, I would assume he just has two Hap Day's, and not an actual player coach. If that was the case, what happens if Toe Blake ends up playing against the team he coaches? The universe might implode, that's what.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Since he had to draft him twice, I would assume he just has two Hap Day's, and not an actual player coach. If that was the case, what happens if Toe Blake ends up playing against the team he coaches? The universe might implode, that's what.

It's just like in Back to the Future where two versions of yourself can exist at the same time.

You've got young player Hap and old coach Hap.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It's just like in Back to the Future where two versions of yourself can exist at the same time.

You've got young player Hap and old coach Hap.

It could be worse : either team could have Lester Patrick as a coach, D-Men and Goalie.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 1: The Nanaimo faithful are boisterous. Chanting "Four in four!" Declaring what they believe their hero Bobby Orr will lead them to. And Orr does not disappoint. In the first he gets lots of rushes and keeps Horton and Gainey on their heels. But neither Conacher or Orr can get one on Plante. The play is pinned in Edmonton's zone, but it just keeps Plante hot. Edmonton gets a few very potent rushes as Nanaimo gets to comfortable controlling the play but not converting.

The second is more of the same, except that Horton and Gainey are starting to get a feel for Orr, giving Edmonton more counter attack chances, oddly enough, as they get more chances, Benedict gets more comfortable. The big guns for Nanaimo can't convert, but Litzenberger is able to crash the crease and bang home the rebound off a Hap Day point shot. Horton complains to the ref that it was goalie interference, but to no avail. O'Reilly doesn't accept this and on the next shift levels Schriner with a vicious body check and then starts punching him while he's down, goading him into fighting back, but Schriner turtles. O'Reilly gets two for roughing. Plante prevents the powerplay from blowing up in the Oiler's face. Lemaire keeps O'Reilly off for the rest of the second and it goes by without event.

Early in the third Orr is able to find a hole. Orr skates to center, passes to Primeau just as Gainey is nearing Bobby, Goyette charges at Primeau, and Joe passes back to Orr, Orr reaches behind Gainey, who's watching him like a hawk, and taps the pass forward Orr tries to cut towards the inside but Gainey holds him out, Horton tries to sandwich Orr, but Orr hip checks the incoming Horton, Horton crashes in to Gainey and Orr fires a pass to the streaking Conacher, Charlie one times it past Plante, denting the back crossbar. While the net is being replaced, O'Reilly yells obscenities from the bench prompting Lionel Conacher to go to the Edmonton bench to reply, the linesmen pull him away. The rest of the game goes without incident, Lemaire plays it smart and keeps only level headed players on the ice.
Nanaimo wins game 1 2-0 for a 1-0 series lead.

Game 2: The Clippers fans are calling for O'Reilly's head, he waves to the during the pre-game skate. League officials are at the game to make sure the rules of sportsmanship are followed. The play remains much the same, Orr dominates the play but Plante keeps him in line. O'Reilly is used sparingly and keeps himself in line while he plays. The boring style Lemaire demands starts to bleed the life out of the crowd.

The second period starts the same, but Day changes his strategy a bit, letting Lemaire get the match ups he wants against Orr and Charlie Conacher, but getting Nighbor out there against the Lysiak line and the Tinodi-Wilson pair. Nighbor responds immediately with a give and go with Lionel Conacher to beat Lysiak, Nighbor then flies full speed down the middle, blowing right past both defenders before either can take center ice, Nighbor dekes and lifts a light backhand just barely over Plante's pad. Lemaire keeps Edmonton calm after the goal and locks it down. Orr pinches from the point and passes to Weiland, but Middleton intercepts and gets a breakaway, fakes a deke and wires a top corner wrist shot to the far side to tie the game.

The third is calm until Williams takes a lazy penalty against Nighbor. Plante, Gainey and Horton shut down the 1st unit, but on the second PK vs second PP Nighbor is able to spin around Lemaire and pass to Stevens, Plante slides over to stop the shot, but Stevens gets the rebound and passes cross crease to Nighbor who roofs it over a sprawling Plante. Wilson levels Stevens after the play, Stevens gets up and tosses the gloves to the ise, Wilson wins the fight, but gets tossed from the game. The attending league officials call the coaches and tell them to keep the teams in line. The rest of the game is uneventful.
Nanaimo wins game 2 2-1 for a 2-0 series lead.

Game 3: The series moves to Edmonton, the crowd is looking to see some blood spilled, but with Wilson suspended and more officials at the game, the teams on their best behavior. Lemaire matches lines for the game, sucking the life out of it, but the crowd remains rowdy. Early in the 3rd, Ovechkin and Mogilny get a two on one against Hitchman, Hitchman goes down to block the pass so Mogilny fires, Benedict makes the easy save but leaves a big rebound, Goring swoops in and scores.
Edmonton wins game 3 1-0 but is losing the series 2-1.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 4: The violence remains on hold, on the road, Edmonton relies on intimidation, but at home, they suffocate their opponent. And Nanaimo is grasping for breath. Horton scores the games only goal.
Edmonton wins game 4 1-0, tying the series at 2-2.

Game 5: Shaking the trap, Orr comes out flying, setting up a Frank Nighbor goal. Williams answers by beating Prentice in a fight, setting the fiesty tone again. O'Reilly pounds Kilrea and Lionel Conacher tries to come to the rescue, but O'Reilly is dragged away by Gainey. Plante remains solid even without Lemaire's advantage. Late in the third Charlie Conacher puts it away.
Nanaimo wins game 5 2-0, taking a 3-2 series lead.

Game 6: Edmonton tries to lock it down but Number Four Bobby Orr is ready. Orr scores and sets up a Dean Prentice goal. Shannahan adds one for Edmonton. To keep momentum, O'Reilly rallies the troops by hitting Charlie Conacher from behind, and the big train is rolling, Lionel Conacher charges up ice and nothing is getting between him and O'Reilly. One punch by Lionel and O'Reilly is down, O'Reilly gets back up, linesmen try to intervene but he shrugs them off. Lionel decks him again. And O'Reilly is back up again, he gets a few shots in before getting KO'd by Lionel Conacher. O'Reilly's antics serve only to rally Nanaimo. Plante keeps it close but Stevens seals the deal on a beauty set-up from Nighbor.
Nanaimo wins game 6 3-1, winning the series 4-2.

Nanaimo wins the series in 6 games.
Three Stars:
3rd Frank Nighbor
2nd Jacques Plante
1st Bobby Orr

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I really love more of the Oiler picks (Lemaire, Shanny, Goring, Gainey, O'Reilly, Tiger, Plante, Tinordi, Plante) but looking at all picks together, as a team, Nanaimo had all the pieces. Congrats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad