Phil Russell

Rogie Vachon
Eddie Giacomin
Mike Palmateer​

Last edited:

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
VanIslander, could you post my updated lineup for me please?

Cyclone Taylor - Newsy Lalonde - Didier Pitre
Roy Conacher - Adam Oates - Odie Cleghorn
Paul Thompson - Doug Bentley - Bobby Rousseau
Don Marcotte - Doug Risebrough - Terry O'Reilly
Marian Hossa/Phil Goyette

Allan Stanley - Earl Seibert
Babe Siebert - Sylvio Mantha
Ted Harris - Bill Hajt

Glenn Hall
Normie Smith
Charlie Hodge

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
First thought off the top of my head is thats a damn fast first line for the Clippers and highly skilled to boot. The only thing going against them, and its fairly significant is that they are all pretty small. Although they are all probably pretty hard to hit, in a long physical series they are going to get hit and the hope of the Oilers would be to wear them down in the process.

I think I have the best shut down line in the draft but even they'll be in tough against that line. On the road, the plan will be to have either Nel's line or Peca's line out against Lalonde's line at all times with the mandate to be defensive, hit them and be as physical as possible against them. On the road it'll take away going on the attack being weary of Lalonde line out there all the time but it has to be done. That is one scary line and I wouldn't want them out against any other lines. Line matchups against Lalonde's line will be key for the Oil this series.

Not sure what pitseleh has planned for the other lines but I like the Oilers depth up front compared to the Clippers. Oates doesn't like to be physical and with the strong two-way play of the Oilers wingers it should take away some of his options to pass.

Bottom line up front is the Oil will have to use their biggest advantage which is size, physical play and defensive awareness, especially against Lalonde's line. This should be a much different series for Nanaimo compared to their last one against Saskatoon. For the Oil its just more of the same as Nanaimo is built similar to what Trail was.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Sorry about the essay, I was bored yesterday and went a little overboard.

Changes to our lineup:

First and foremost, we wanted to insert Ted Harris in on the defense. We now have three pairings with enough toughness to handle Edmonton’s tough forward corps. Harris is also an excellent fighter, and will be used in an enforcer role. We lose quite a bit of offense compared to Pitre, but that is compensated by improved defense and toughness.

Second, Pitre moves back up to the first line to add some size on the right side.

Taylor moves over to the LW on that line and Bentley moves down to play third line center (he was a second-team All Star at center and was known as a fierce backchecker).

Strategies:

Our primary MO will be getting Marcotte-Risebrough-O'Reilly out every time the Lindsay-Stewart-Broadbent line is on the ice. That line has the physical toughness and defensive ability to at least hold that line in check. We also want Stanley-Seibert on the ice against them as much as possible as well, though we also feel comfortable with the other two pairs matching up against them.

I believe that changing my lineup in this fashion creates some rather large matchup problems for the Oilers. Whichever unit they decide to use the Gainey line against will be in tough to score but we feel that we can take advantage of the other matchups. While both teams have solid two way play on all four lines, we feel we have more scoring punch throughout the team than Edmonton.

Our advantages:

Coaching: Day versus Cherry is a mismatch in our favour. Day is a top-5 coach of all time while Cherry is middle of the pack. He might be a good coach for the team Murphy has assembled, but he's going to be outcoached this series.

Goaltending: This may be our biggest advantage. Vachon/Giacomin are a solid duo, but they pale in comparison to Hall. Anyone that gets through our defensive system and players will have to then beat hall.

Scoring Depth: Edmonton has one of the best shutdown units in the draft with Gainey-Peca-Sutter-Stevens-Stewart. But after that, we feel we have the depth to take advantage of Edmonton's bottom two defensive pairings and goaltending. With Bentley moving down to the third line, after our first line, we have two lines that could be considered to be our second line. While Stevens was a very good offensive defenseman in the early part of his career, we feel we have more scoring depth through our defense, even with Harris inserted into the lineup. Seibert finished top-5 in defensive scoring 8 times, Stanley 6 times and Mantha 3 times, while Siebert was a very good offensive forward. If nothing else, our defense should be more than capable of getting the pucks to our forwards in transistion.

Depth: In a series with a tough team like Edmonton, injuries may be inevitable (especially with Stevens/Stewart roaming the ice). We feel that we have the depth to compensate for that, especially with the versatility we have with our players and their two-way ability. Goyette and Hossa are capable of stepping in any where between the 2nd and 4th line, while we feel comfortable moving Oates or Conacher to the top line if need be.

Freshness: Edmonton has now played two tough 6 game series against Vancouver and Trail, while we will be relatively fresh with only one series under our belts. We should have gotten the rust out with the last series and should be able to take advantage of the Oilers' tiredness.

Our Obstacles:

Edmonton’s Toughness: By far the biggest advantage Edmonton has over us (up front at least). Our defense will be pounded on the forecheck and our forwards will have little room to create out there. Hopefully our speed will be able to take advantage of a slower Edmonton team, both in creating offense and avoiding their physical play. Second, we feel we have the depth to cover injuries that may arise from Edmonton’s physical play, as well as to replace players who wilt under the pressure. For example, if Bentley decides he won’t pay the price in high traffic areas, we have no problem sitting him in the pressbox and replacing him with Goyette. The versatility of our forwards makes shuffling the lineup very easy. We will also need the tougher guys on our team, like Cleghorn, Pitre and Conacher, to create room for our other players.

Edmonton’s Strong Collection of Two Way forwards: We built our third line with enough offensive ability to counter attack any weaknesses that other team’s top lines may have defensively. Unfortunately, with O’Reilly’s line getting the matchup with Stewart’s line, our third line against Edmonton’s second line doesn’t give us that advantage, as they have some solid two way players on there. We feel our biggest opportunity will be taking advantage of Edmonton’s fourth line. While physical with some offensive ability, they don't have the same two way play the other three lines do, and we feel that is our best opportunity to capitalize.

Line Matching: This series will rely on line matching for us. The chance we’d face an offensive line like the Lindsay line was the reason the Marcotte line was built. While at home this will be relatively easy, we will need to ensure that we get that matchup as much as possible on the road. Our other checking line, while good defensively, will have trouble matching that line physically. With home ice advantage this becomes less of an issue, but it is a concern nevertheless.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Goaltending: This may be our biggest advantage. Vachon/Giacomin are a solid duo, but they pale in comparison to Hall. Anyone that gets through our defensive system and players will have to then beat hall.

Hope you got a Hall a newer bigger bucket, He's going to see alot of traffic and ohhhh, the odd crease crash. He'll probably pull the old I'm retiring trick after game 1.......;)

Hall's good but the Oilers have a team that'll make life difficult for any goalie. From Andersons crease crashing to Stewarts less than honorable tactics, life will be miserable for Glenn Hall and he'll be thrown off his game a time or two.

Hopefully any skill advantage Hall has will be negated with the strong two-way play of the Oilers line-up and the defense first philosophy of the defense corps. Its definitely a team built to not give up many prime scoring opportunities.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Hope you got a Hall a newer bigger bucket, He's going to see alot of traffic and ohhhh, the odd crease crash. He'll probably pull the old I'm retiring trick after game 1.......;)

Hall's good but the Oilers have a team that'll make life difficult for any goalie. From Andersons crease crashing to Stewarts less than honorable tactics, life will be miserable for Glenn Hall and he'll be thrown off his game a time or two.

Yeah, your forwards will be difficult to contain, but I feel comfortable with Seibert, Siebert, Harris and Stanley clearing the crease against your tough forwards. It'll be one of the keys for my team at least, keeping those guys away from Hall.

Hopefully any skill advantage Hall has will be negated with the strong two-way play of the Oilers line-up and the defense first philosophy of the defense corps. Its definitely a team built to not give up many prime scoring opportunities.

I don't know if you have a huge advantage in two-way play, at least enough to make up the difference in goaltending. My second through fourth lines all have solid two way players on them, and all six of my defensemen were noted as very good defensive players.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Line Matching: This series will rely on line matching for us. The chance we’d face an offensive line like the Lindsay line was the reason the Marcotte line was built. While at home this will be relatively easy, we will need to ensure that we get that matchup as much as possible on the road. Our other checking line, while good defensively, will have trouble matching that line physically. With home ice advantage this becomes less of an issue, but it is a concern nevertheless.

We both agree that line matchups are going to be key. I like the Peca line's ability against Lalonde's better then the Bentley line up against Stewarts line though. Both are really good offensive lines, I think the Oilers have the edge there with a higher end defensive talent on their shutdown line.

Going to be alot of cat and mouse tactics going on and that generally takes away offense with the emphasis being on shutting down the opposing lines or the scoring lines trying to shake the checking. Could turn out to be low scoring series and that should play into the Oilers overall team philosophy.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
We both agree that line matchups are going to be key. I like the Peca line's ability against Lalonde's better then the Bentley line up against Stewarts line though. Both are really good offensive lines, I think the Oilers have the edge there with a higher end defensive talent on their shutdown line.

Going to be alot of cat and mouse tactics going on and that generally takes away offense with the emphasis being on shutting down the opposing lines or the scoring lines trying to shake the checking. Could turn out to be low scoring series and that should play into the Oilers overall team philosophy.

Stewart's line will see a lot of Marcotte's line. We feel they have the defensive awareness and toughness to battle with that line. O'Reilly vs. Lindsay will be a fun matchup.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Freshness: Edmonton has now played two tough 6 game series against Vancouver and Trail, while we will be relatively fresh with only one series under our belts. We should have gotten the rust out with the last series and should be able to take advantage of the Oilers' tiredness.

No problemo, I think Nanaimo played as many periods of hockey in their last series in 5 games than Edmonton did in 6. I've been pretty fortunate not having any 7 game wars and the travels been pretty easy as well having only had to venture into B.C for the playoffs so far.

LapierreSports

Mar 9, 2007
Montreal
Clippers, I like the ''old-schoolness'' of you team, thats always a plus with me and you have Glenn Hall in nets. Edmonton has one of the best shutdown units in the draft with Gainey-Peca-Sutter-Stevens-Stewart, do you think your forwards can handle that ? Your first line is quick and lethal though... This is a really tough matchup as I like both of the teams

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Clippers, I like the ''old-schoolness'' of you team, thats always a plus with me and you have Glenn Hall in nets. Edmonton has one of the best shutdown units in the draft with Gainey-Peca-Sutter-Stevens-Stewart, do you think your forwards can handle that ? Your first line is quick and lethal though... This is a really tough matchup as I like both of the teams

That unit will be tough to score against. Winning this series will require us to get scoring from throughout our lineup. Assuming that the shutdown unit of Edmonton gets most of their playing time against our top line. Conacher was top-2 in the league in goal scoring 5 times and when combined with 9 time top-5 assist man Oates on the second line and Cleghorn to play the corners and chip in offensively, we feel that we have the advantage in scoring on the second line. Bentley is an Art Ross winner and led the league in goals and assists twice each, Thompson was top-10 in points 5 times (top-10 in goals 4) while Rousseau finished in the top-10 for assists 3 times, and we feel that unit will score more than either Edmonton's third or fourth lines.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Clippers are going down

That unit will be tough to score against. Winning this series will require us to get scoring from throughout our lineup. Assuming that the shutdown unit of Edmonton gets most of their playing time against our top line. Conacher was top-2 in the league in goal scoring 5 times and when combined with 9 time top-5 assist man Oates on the second line and Cleghorn to play the corners and chip in offensively, we feel that we have the advantage in scoring on the second line. Bentley is an Art Ross winner and led the league in goals and assists twice each, Thompson was top-10 in points 5 times (top-10 in goals 4) while Rousseau finished in the top-10 for assists 3 times, and we feel that unit will score more than either Edmonton's third or fourth lines.

Hmmmmmm

I just don't see the Marcotte/Risebrough/O'Reilly trio having much success shutting down the three Hart Trophy winners on the Hurt line. Lindsay/Stewart/Broadbent are going to have their way with that line. Risebrough is really the only checker of note as the other two are just really good, gritty guys. Should be some good old school hockey played with that matchup.

I do see the Gainey/Peca/Sutter trio being successful in shutting down Taylor/Lalonde/Pitre. Pitre adds the size to that line but it doesn't sound like he used that size as much as a physical advantage. Taylor and Lalonde are going to have to be weary of the Stevens/Stewart combo as well. I picture a bug going splat on the windshield with those two hitting the blue line withspeed.

I also like but am more wary of Sutter/Sittler/Anderson going up against Conacher/Oates/Cleghorn. I see the Conacher/Oates due being pretty effective but better than Sittler/Anderson? Cleghorn and Sutter will each bring the bang to their respective lines but Sutter has an edge in skill over Cleghorn, who is the worst talent on either teams top three. Pretty close matchup in terms of skill here but the Oilers have the edge in size and grit here, given the physical nature of the series, that might be the only advantage in this matchup.

That leaves the Thompson/Bentley/Rousseau up against Secord/Lysiak/Mellanby. The Oils line is outgunned here but.....its also another size mismatch and Secord/Lysiak bring significant scoring prowess of their own, so they're not out of their league here.

The Oilers definitely like two of the matchups, have a slight edge over the third and have a slight disadvantage on the fourth matchup. Against a team as good as Nanaimo, we'll take it!

I think while the Clippers spread some size around the lines it's still a pretty large difference between the two teams and bringing a physical game plan while still being hard to play against defensively is going to wear the Clippers down as the series progresses.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton

Glenn Hall and his one Stanley Cup? mehhh, He can be beat.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Hmmmmmm

I just don't see the Marcotte/Risebrough/O'Reilly trio having much success shutting down the three Hart Trophy winners on the Hurt line. Lindsay/Stewart/Broadbent are going to have their way with that line. Risebrough is really the only checker of note as the other two are just really good, gritty guys. Should be some good old school hockey played with that matchup.

Assuming you mean Art Ross winners.

I think you're underrating Marcotte's defensive abilities. A lot of people who saw him play consider him to be one of the best defensive forwards of his time, and some put him close to Gainey's level. To quote your coach, "If they were going to send a hockey player to Mars, it would have to be Don Marcotte. They could watch how he plays and then mold hockey players that way." O'Reilly may not be a tremendous defensive player, but he's tough and relentless, which should help him get in the face of that line. I also think that Nels Stewart's lack of speed and defense (he was considered to be among the worst, if not the worst, defensive forward of his time) will hurt his linemates, as Lindsay and Broadbent will have to pick up the slack against that line. All three of my players could net you 50-60 points while bringing physical play and defensive awareness.

I do see the Gainey/Peca/Sutter trio being successful in shutting down Taylor/Lalonde/Pitre. Pitre adds the size to that line but it doesn't sound like he used that size as much as a physical advantage. Taylor and Lalonde are going to have to be weary of the Stevens/Stewart combo as well. I picture a bug going splat on the windshield with those two hitting the blue line withspeed.

I agree, this is the toughest matchup for our first line (or for pretty much any first line). My hope is that, with their speed, they will be able to produce enough to share the load with our other two scoring lines.

I also like but am more wary of Sutter/Sittler/Anderson going up against Conacher/Oates/Cleghorn. I see the Conacher/Oates due being pretty effective but better than Sittler/Anderson? Cleghorn and Sutter will each bring the bang to their respective lines but Sutter has an edge in skill over Cleghorn, who is the worst talent on either teams top three. Pretty close matchup in terms of skill here but the Oilers have the edge in size and grit here, given the physical nature of the series, that might be the only advantage in this matchup.

It depends on what you value. Oates and Conacher were much more dominant scorers during their times, but have worse absolute numbers than Sittler/Anderson. I'd say that Oates and Sittler are pretty close, but I'd give a big advantage to Conacher over Anderson. I also think you underrate Odie Cleghorn. He was a top goal scorer (finishing top-5 three times in the NHL alone) during the early days, and was competitive against Lalonde, Malone, Broadbent, Denneny. He was also one of the most dominant scorers in the NHA, much more so than Broadbent. When you compare the scoring between Cleghorn and Broadbent, other than Broadbent's one big year, they were very similar players (and Cleghorn had one year where he finished second in the scoring race, when he was narrowly beat out by Lalonde - the two were head and shoulders above the rest of the league). He was also considered to be one of the best stick handlers of his time. I think Broadbent is better (especially because he missed time to the war), but I don't think it's enough of a difference to not consider Cleghorn to be a bonafide #2 RW.

I think while the Clippers spread some size around the lines it's still a pretty large difference between the two teams and bringing a physical game plan while still being hard to play against defensively is going to wear the Clippers down as the series progresses.

I agree, there is no way that upfront we can compete with your team physically. There are a couple of things we will need to do to try to negate this advantage. The most important, I think, is that we have the depth to insert players into the lineup if there are injuries/fatigue. I feel that both Conacher and Oates are capable (though not ideal) first liners, and with Taylor's versatility, we have subs for all three 1st line spots. Goyette and Hossa are both capable of playing anywhere from the second to the fourth line, so we feel comfortable changing our lineup from night to night to try and avoid fatigue and injuries, if need be.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
We also feel that we can pressure your bottom two defensive pairings into making mistakes. Though both are solid, I think they'll have trouble with our quick and offensively creative forwards. While Stewart and Stevens is really intimidating to face, we feel we have an advantage the other two pairings are on the ice, which makes up for some of the two-way play of your forwards.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
We also feel that we can pressure your bottom two defensive pairings into making mistakes. Though both are solid, I think they'll have trouble with our quick and offensively creative forwards. While Stewart and Stevens is really intimidating to face, we feel we have an advantage the other two pairings are on the ice, which makes up for some of the two-way play of your forwards.

You can't do that, thats my game plan!

Your right about Odie, I probably did underate him, I really don't know much about him other than him being Spragues brother.

Still like the chances of my big line going against your shutdown line compared to your's going against mine.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 1:

• An early two on one with Taylor and Lalonde barrelling down on Smith ends with Taylor beating Smith on the outside and backpassing to Lalonde who wrists a shot blocker side for the first goal of the series.
  • Ted Lindsay ties it up by charging through Siebert and back handing a shot over Hall.
  • Anderson tries to take the lead but is stoned by Hall.
  • Bentley uses slick moves to avoid a hit by Stevens, pass to Rousseau, who passes back to Bentley for the one timer goal.
  • On a late powerplay, Seibert blasts a cannon past Vachon.

Nanaimo wins 3-1.

Game 2:
  • Nels Stewart kicks off the scoring in this one after Seibert takes a bad penalty.
  • Paul Thompson gets one back on a nice feed from Bentley.
  • Cyclone gets the go ahead goal on a shorthanded breakaway.
  • Conacher blasts a shot off a beauty feed by Oates.
  • Pitre gets the icing on the cake when Seibert sends him alone on a breakaway.

Nanaimo wins 4-1, is up 2-0 in the series.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 3:

• The series enters Edmonton, and the energy from the crowd re-energizes the Oilers, Lindsay dekes Hajt, passes to Broadbent in the slot who scores five-hole.
  • Nanaimo locks it down, even though they are losing, slow the game down, play a road game. Hall shuts the door.
  • Midway through the third, Pitre intercepts a pass and sends Lalonde in all alone. Goal!

This one's going to overtime!

• Early in overtime, Lindsay fakes out Stanley and blasts a shot high blocker side for the win.

Edmonton wins 2-1 in OT, Nanaimo leads the series 2-1.

Game 4:

• Edmonton comes out strong off the win. Lots of pressure on Hall, but nothing gets past him.
  • Tight defensive play by Edmonton keeps the Nanaimo offence at bay.
  • Stevens rocks Risebrough, gets a face full of O'Reilly for his trouble.
  • Edmonton finally catches a break when Gainey strips the puck off Pitre and wrist shot past Hall.

Edmonton wins 1-0, series tied, 2-2.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 5:

• Frustrated with the previous games' defeats, Lalonde takes amtters into his own hands, making Babych look like a fool and lifting one over Vachon's pad.
  • Cleghorn skates around Blackjack, and sets up Mantha for a shot deflected in by Conacher.
  • Edmonton attempts to mount a comeback, but gets stoned by Hall every chance they get.
  • Goyette, filling in for the injured Risebrough, gets an empty netter for the icing on the cake.

Nanaimo wins 3-0 and retakes the series lead 3-2.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 6:

• Edmonton charges in with early goals by Secord and Sittler.
  • Taylor counters for Nanaimo.
  • The game locks down with the score 2-1, the Stevens/Stewart pairing make life hell for Nanaimo.
  • Hall keeps Edmonton out of it.
  • With 3 minutes left, Doug Bentley ties it up.
  • With 10 seconds left a mad scramble in front of the Nanaimo net ends with Ted Lindsay scoring a goal, crushing Nanaimo's heart.
Edmonton wins 3-2, tying the series 3-3.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Nice, leave us hanging through the weekend and now leave us hanging on a game 7.......:)

I have to say I'm a little proud of myself putting a team together that competed well enough to go seven games with a team like the Clippers.

But I'm with ya pitseleh, I'm a little anxious as well to hear the results, lol

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 7:

• The tension is palpable as the teams skate onto the ice. Edmonton carries the momentum from game 6 into it. Lots of pressure on Hall. The Hurt line pounds the Nanaimo defence, getting lots of traffic and shots on Hall. But Hall is able to move quickly enough to avoid the traffic as well as see around it and react in time to make the big saves.
  • Struggling to mount a counter attack, desperation kicks in for the Clippers, and this only makes things tougher for the stalwert Hall. But, eventually, luck breaks through for the Clippers, a risky play of having both Pitre and Taylor rush Turnbull causes the Oiler blueliner to cough the puck up to Lalonde who gets a partial breakaway on Jason Smith, Lalonde tries to hold him off with one hand, but is out muscled. While falling, Lalonde pushes the puck through Smith's legs, Vachon dives on the loose puck, but, Lalonde reaches out and pulls the puck out of his grasp. With one outstretched hand on the stick, Lalonde flips the puck over Vachon for the go ahead goal.
  • Nanaimo gets fired up, regaining their confidence because of Lalonde's super human effort. But, Vachon makes it his mission to make ammends. The Peca/Gainey line and the Stevens/Stewart pairing crush the Clipper's efforts, but, when they aren't on the ice, Vachon prooves a worthy last line of defence.
  • The roles are reversed as Edmonton becomes more and more desperate. Able to hold the fort, but unable to break Hall's defences. A sprawling dive to intercept by Broadbent sends Lindsay in all alone, he fakes left, pulls right, trails the stick, Hall reaches and Lindsay quickly slides the puck five hole for the tying goal.
  • With the game back to square one, both sides lockdown, no quarter given, no quarter asked. Stevens destroys Pitre. Seibert delivers a viscious unseen elbow to Old Poison. The battles building and building, and just as they are about to reach critical mass...

THIS ONE'S GOING TO OVERTIME!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad