ATD 2024 Line-up Assassinations

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
We were cowards, sort of.

We re-built the Senators dynasty line of Denneny - Nighbor - Broadbent ... but... added Nighbor's other, mostly earlier-career, HHOF right winger Darragh, a more prolific scorer though less physical linemate, as our 3rd line Duster, to handle 1st line spot duty, to cover our bases, so to speak.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
We were cowards, sort of.

We re-built the Senators dynasty line of Denneny - Nighbor - Broadbent ... but... added Nighbor's other, mostly earlier-career, HHOF right winger Darragh, a more prolific scorer though less physical linemate, as our 3rd line Duster, to handle 1st line spot duty, to cover our bases, so to speak.

The added value of drafting another player with legitimate chemistry with a 1st line duo was too good to pass up at that point. Darragh and Broadbent both offer a separate package, so it keeps our options open to give us a different look if needed.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
Yeah- I saw Kasatonov on PP1 & PK1, and took a few Yikes out of my cupboard.

Then, I saw @MVP of West Hollywd apply Brind'Amour to PP1 & PK1, and used up ALL my remaining supply of Yikes.

What's wrong with him on PK1?

I switched Leclair to PP1 a few days ago in this thread but forgot to do it in roster page btw. I think I will put Parise over him on PP2 too. I may have been overvaluing value of Brind'amour's face off skills on special teams.

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Seriously
Yeah- I saw Kasatonov on PP1 & PK1, and took a few Yikes out of my cupboard.

Then, I saw @MVP of West Hollywd apply Brind'Amour to PP1 & PK1, and used up ALL my remaining supply of Yikes.
Seriously? You and he are as close as you and @Hawkey Town 18 ... Brind'amour belongs nowhere near 1st pp (10% of career goals on pp) unless as LW (he had a couple of great years with Lindros in Philly), when he was a lesser Dino crease tip-in artist.

Last edited:

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
Here we go:

First line is great. Like it a lot.

Second line... like it less. I'm not a huge fan of Stastny in this format, but he's probably a low end 2C here. Martinec is fine, but Holik seems miscast in a second line role. Probably get some bonus with Martinec if they played on a line together (I'm assuming they did internationally?), but it's a slight hole.

Really like the third line though. Probably not a ton of offense coming from it but should work well.

Fourth line... I don't buy Tkachuk as an ATDer yet. But that's my only note.

On D - that first pair seems like a slightly less psychotic version of the Stewart/Cleghorn pair. I don't think Derian Hatcher is a top pairing Dman here, even when considering splitting up Quackenbush and Shore.

Second pair - feels like you have two rushing Dmen here, on top of having Shore as a rushing Dman on the top pair. I think this is especially notable because Charlie Gardiner is not an elite goaltender in this format - fits more in that muddy middle. So there's a lot of chances for Dmen to get caught up ice.

Third pair - Don't really love Kevin Hatcher as a regular either but I'm pretty hard on DPE Dmen reps in general so take that with a grain of salt.

Gardiner is fine - middle of the road guy. Helleybuck is certainly building a hell of an ATD resume right now.

Overall - really strong team but (as with all teams) there are some holes.

Thanks for the review, Macho! It's nice to see someone taking the time to review some of the rosters assembled.

1) Thanks for the compliments regarding the first line. I was happy about the way it came together, and think it can stand with anyone's in the field
2) Jiri Holik does have less-than-normal offense among scoring line wingers in small ATDs, but he doesn't look out of place among others who hold the #2 LW position in the Hewitt Division (R. Conacher, Zetterberg, K. Tkachuk, Shutt, Noble). Plus, Holik is an elite defensive conscience, tasked with muting the impact of Makarov (among others) in International Best-on-Best play. Here, he's joined by contemporary linemate Martinec (perhaps the top living Hall of Fame eligible player not in the Hall) in addition to countryman Stastny, who's still the top Center his nation has ever produced and the second highest scoring NHL player of the 1980s.
3) Team's fortunes shouldn't rise or fall on difference of opinion on Matthew Tkachuk, who, last year, showed that impressions of him being a playoff non-performer deserve a big re-think. Plus, he's really irritating to play against which is never a bad thing from an ATD 4th-liner!
4) A good way of looking at the D. Hatcher/Shore synergy is comparing Hatcher to Shore's real-life partner. He's bigger, more mobile, no less physical, and uncowed by big moments. (Captaining Stanley Cup Dallas is well-enough known, but less well-known is 1996 World Cup of Hockey coming-out party... 2nd among Ds in +/- (behind Leetch but ahead of Chelios) as 2nd youngest player on Team USA). Studs like Orr, Harvey, Potvin, Bourque are examples of all-time great defensemen achieving greatness with lesser lights on their pairings. So I'm confident that Hatcher won't be a drag on Eddie Shore.
5) Quackenbush was described previously by TheDevilMadeMe as "Lidstrom-lite". Though no amount of squinting is going to turn him into Lidstrom, it is definitly a fair way of looking at his style. His positioning and stick-activity in his own zone are excellent, and his hockey IQ and anticipation figure to keep him from being caught up-ice.
6) As with Tkachuk, our team performance is not likely to revolve around consideration of contributions from Kevin Hatcher, who's on roster primarily for auxiliary help on the special teams.
7) With Charlie Gardiner, from most people's ratings I'm sure he's a middle-third start in the regular season, but I believe his value goes up big time come playoff time. Gardiner is still one of the most underrated goalies of all time and is an excellent choice for any championship-contending ATD team.

Finally, this Winnipeg squad invested more capital than ever in securing their bench-boss, Lester Patrick, who has a case for most innovative hockey mind of all-time, and with Bill Cook as Captain...is there a better Coach-Captain dynamic in the entire league than Patrick and Cook? I doubt it and I feel that Winnipeg is well-positioned for full buy-in from its player. A forthright assessment of the squad has to count this as a strength, I think.

Anyways, this is easily the best ATD team I've assembled in the past five years, so we'll see what happens in regular season and playoff voting!

Hockey Stathead

Aug 14, 2022
www.instagram.com
Detroit Vipers

Head Coach:
Anatoly Tarasov
Assistant Coach: Arkady Chernyshev

Alex Delvecchio - Milt Schmidt - Helmuts Balderis
Frank Foyston - Bill Cowley - Boris Mikhailov (K)
Johnny Gottselig (A) - Pit Lepine - Owen Nolan
Dick Duff - Edgar Laprade - Reggie Leach

Nicklas Lidstrom (A) - Brad McCrimmon
Chris Pronger - J.C. Tremblay
Jean-Guy Talbot - Cy Wentworth

Bill Durnan
Harry Lumley

Spares: Wade Redden (D) and Ron Ellis (RW)

Power Play 1: Mikhailov
Leach - Cowley
Delvecchio - Lidstrom

Power Play 2: Nolan - Schmidt - Balderis
Tremblay - Pronger

Penalty Kill 1: Gottselig - Laprade
Pronger - Wentworth

Penalty Kill 2: Lepine - Nolan
Lidstrom - McCrimmon

Last edited:

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Detroit Vipers

Head Coach:
Anatoly Tarasov
Assistant Coach: Arkady Chernyshev

Alex Delvecchio - Milt Schmidt - Boris Mikhailov (K)
Frank Foyston - Bill Cowley - Helmuts Balderis
Johnny Gottselig (A) - Pit Lepine - Owen Nolan
Dick Duff - Edgar Laprade - Reggie Leach

Nicklas Lidstrom (A) - Brad McCrimmon
Chris Pronger - J.C. Tremblay
Jean-Guy Talbot - Cy Wentworth

Bill Durnan
Harry Lumley

Spares: Wade Redden (D) and Ron Ellis (RW)

Power Play 1: Leach - Schmidt - Mikhailov
Delvecchio - Lidstrom

Power Play 2: Nolan - Cowley - Balderis
Tremblay - Pronger

Penalty Kill 1: Gottselig - Laprade
Pronger - Wentworth

Penalty Kill 2: Lepine - Nolan
Lidstrom - McCrimmon
I wonder if the top six might need to be put in the blender for a while. The first line has all the grit and physicality while the second line has all the flair and finesse. How about swapping Balderis and Mikhailov? I think Cowley needs Mikhailov's corner work more than Delvecchio and Schmidt do, and having Balderis next to Cowley and Foyston is bordering on redundancy. With or without any line juggling, I'm not sure there's enough of a defensive conscience surrounding Cowley for the second line to work as well as it should. You can find quotes on Foyston checking hard, but not enough that I'd call him anything more than a neutral in that regard as far as the ATD is concerned.

The bottom six sort of looks like it's already been through the blender with some contrasting styles between centres and their wings. I can buy the third line as being just good enough defensively because of Lepine and just good enough offensively through Gottselig/Nolan to work. I do like Gottselig a lot from when I was reading up on him for the pre-WW2 draft, he could do well here as the puck carrier.

Naturally, when you draft Lidstrom and Pronger your defense is going to be really good. You've surrounded them well, not much more to add.

I prefer stacking the first PP unit since it gets the most ice time, and because of that, if this were my team I'd find a spot for Cowley on the first unit. I think probably at the expensive of Delvecchio, since you'd like to keep Mikhailov in the slot and Leach's shooting is needed too. But as it is you've got two good units.

Reactions: Hockey Stathead

Hockey Stathead

Aug 14, 2022
www.instagram.com
I wonder if the top six might need to be put in the blender for a while. The first line has all the grit and physicality while the second line has all the flair and finesse. How about swapping Balderis and Mikhailov? I think Cowley needs Mikhailov's corner work more than Delvecchio and Schmidt do, and having Balderis next to Cowley and Foyston is bordering on redundancy. With or without any line juggling, I'm not sure there's enough of a defensive conscience surrounding Cowley for the second line to work as well as it should. You can find quotes on Foyston checking hard, but not enough that I'd call him anything more than a neutral in that regard as far as the ATD is concerned.

The bottom six sort of looks like it's already been through the blender with some contrasting styles between centres and their wings. I can buy the third line as being just good enough defensively because of Lepine and just good enough offensively through Gottselig/Nolan to work. I do like Gottselig a lot from when I was reading up on him for the pre-WW2 draft, he could do well here as the puck carrier.

Naturally, when you draft Lidstrom and Pronger your defense is going to be really good. You've surrounded them well, not much more to add.

I prefer stacking the first PP unit since it gets the most ice time, and because of that, if this were my team I'd find a spot for Cowley on the first unit. I think probably at the expensive of Delvecchio, since you'd like to keep Mikhailov in the slot and Leach's shooting is needed too. But as it is you've got two good units.
Thank you for the analysis.

I made those changes.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

Guelph Platers
1986 Memorial Cup Champions

Coaches:
Jon Cooper

Johnny Bucyk (A) - Connor McDavid - Jari Kurri
Patrik Elias - Nicklas Backstrom - Brian Hextall Sr.
Kevin Stevens - Steven Stamkos - Bobby Rousseau
Don Marcotte - Don Luce - Floyd Curry

Brian Leetch (A) - Emile Bouchard (C)
Art Ross - Drew Doughty
Bill Hajt - Brent Seabrook

Bernie Parent
Tuukka Rask

PP1 - Steven Stamkos - Connor McDavid - Jari Kurri - Brian Leetch - Bobby Rousseau
PP2 - Johnny Bucyk - Nicklas Backstrom - Brian Hextall Sr. - Art Ross - Drew Doughty

PK1 - Don Luce - Floyd Curry - Bill Hajt - Emile Bouchard
PK2 - Don Marcotte/McDavid - Jari Kurri - Brian Leetch - Drew Doughty

Spares:
Dustin Byfuglien - Trevor Linden - Bobby Rowe

Forwards: Top-6 looks like a good blend of physicallity, skill, speed and at least one two-way winger to help the defense. These line will score goals no matter the opponent. Bottom-6 I see a weird line. Stamkos and Rousseau I get but what is Stevens doing on that line? He was a good skater but his physicallity is defenitely overrated. I think he's weak spot in an overall good forward corps.

Defense: Built like I think it should be built. A good blend of defense, offense and physical defensemen. Your top-pairing is excellent, you got the free flowing Leech whos still quite defensively responsible with a physical stay at home beast in Bouchard who can make outlet passes to that speedy top-6 of yours. Second pairing has again, a good rushing defenseman in Ross and a good two-way defenseman in Doughty. I'm a bit iffy about Seabrook but Ive also been out of the ATD game for a while so might just be that I'm clueless about his legacy in a ATD sense.

Goalies: Noo need to say much here. Two awesome goalies that are consistent on a high level.

Special teams: I mean what is there to say? You have some of the best PP players of all time. I do think the first PP unit might need some sand paper if there is one thing to point at. PK looks fine and I guess you are deploying McDavid at the end of PPs for quick transition to offense.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Stamkos and Rousseau I get but what is Stevens doing on that line? He was a good skater but his physicallity is defenitely overrated. I think he's weak spot in an overall good forward corps.

When you have Stamkos and Rousseau - who was known for being soft at times - you need a Stevens, who legitimately was in the top handful of power forwards in the league in his prime, to add some size, snarl, and be a bit chippy when need be.

By the time I was taking Stevens the options were getting limited and obviously his career fell off a cliff after his face got destroyed and he became an addict, but his peak was fantastic and he was a much better playoff performer than some of the other options. On a 3rd line here his non-existent defense is a bit less of a problem too, and playing with Rousseau will help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hobnobs

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
RICHMOND RENEGADES

Coach: Joel Quenneville
Captain: King Clancy
Assistant: Lionel Hitchman
Assistant: Vyacheslav Starshinov

Bobby Hull - Elmer Lach - Martin St. Louis
Bert Olmstead - Jean Ratelle - Cecil Dillon
Marty Pavelich - Vyacheslav Starshinov - Joe Mullen
Rick Nash - John Madden - Tim Kerr
Ondrej Palat, Vincent Lecavalier

Lionel Conacher - King Clancy
Carl Brewer - Lionel Hitchman
Brian Campbell - Teppo Numminen
Albert Leduc

Glenn Hall
Tim Thomas

PP1: Hull, Lach, St. Louis, Olmstead, Clancy
PP2: Starshinov, Ratelle, Kerr, Nash, Conacher

PK1: Pavelich, Madden, Hitchman, Brewer
PK2: Dillon, Starshinov, Conacher, Clancy

I'm happy to return the favour as you kindly reviewed my Winnipeg squad!

Like:
-Mostly everything about the first line.
- Structure of 2nd line.
- Regular season cred for Glenn Hall.

Not sure about:
- Dichotomy of elegant Lady Byng-candidate Forwards (St Louis/Ratelle/Dillon/Mullen) and high PIMs Defencemen (L Conacher, Clancy, and Carl Brewer, who really was the Red Horner of his time in that regard).
- Fit/vision of 3rd and 4th Lines (I can see either for Neutral-Zone starts, but if clearly on one side of the ice or the other, they're a weird mix of flavors.)

Really don't like:
- Hitchman as a top-4 R Defenceman. Don't see a case here.

Other notes:

- Bobby Hull is set up to ask questions of the entire conference, and few will have credible answers.

- An annoying trend noted in previous ATDs is the tendency to hold Glenn Hall's perceived playoff shortcomings against him in regular season voting. In the regular season, Glenn Hall does not need to take a back seat to ANYONE in the Conference, except for Hasek. I like Glenn Hall's regular season performance better than that of Roy. That's right, I said it. I hope for your sake that this annoying trend will stop this year.

- Perhaps a split-personality of 3rd/4th lines might be resolved by resorting to what Chicago fans called the 'Q-blender.' Have Q coach up bottom-six to learn to play with whomever else is among the remaining five. Then, O-Zone starts could be... Nash-Starshinov-Mullen/Kerr, and defensive-zone starts being Pavelich-Madden-Mullen/Dillon.

Also, I'd recommend shuffling defense pairings to:
L Conacher/Clancy
Brewer/Numminen
Hitchman/Leduc

Numminen seems a little stretched in a top-4 role, but I'd prefer that to playing Hitchman out-of-position. Clancy also has a case for playing either side, so maybe that could be relevant.

This should be a good squad if/when everyone embraces their roles. Nice team, Macho!

Reactions: The Macho King

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
I like THIS:
California Golden Seals
Sprague Cleghorn(A)-Jiri Bubla
Jack Stewart-Sergei Zubov
Moose Vasko-Red Horner
More than this-
California Golden Seals
Sprague Cleghorn(A)-Jack Stewart
Jiri Bubla-Sergei Zubov
Moose Vasko-Red Horner
Yeah- I understand that Jiri Bubla seems like a knickerbocker eyesore on an ATD first pairing- but two RHS-RDs on a top-4 pairing (i.e.: Bubla-Zubov) in an ATD draft of ANY size is a visual that's difficult to unsee.

As always, I'll add the disclaimer that it shouldn't be about how ChiTownPhilly would structure it, OR how tony d would structure it... how would coach Gorman structure it?!

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Montreal Victorias

Coach: Toe Blake & Billy Reay
Captain: George Armstrong
Alternate Captains: Chris Chelios, Ebbie Goodfellow

Anatoli Firsov --- Ron Francis --- Jaromir Jagr
Nels Stewart --- Marcel Dionne --- George Armstrong (C)
Bun Cook --- Ralph Backstrom --- Corey Perry
Nick Metz --- Brian Rolston --- Eddie Oatman
Marty Walsh

Bill Gadsby --- Chris Chelios (A)
Ebbie Goodfellow (A) --- Jack Campbell
Rod Flett --- Art Duncan
Walter Smaill

Henrik Lundqvist
Chuck Rayner

PP1: Goodfellow - Campbell - Stewart - Dionne - Jagr
PP2: Gadsby - Duncan - Firsov - Francis - Perry

PK1: Gadsby - Chelios - Cook - Metz
PK2: Goodfellow - Flett - Armstrong - Rolston

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Trois Rivieres Athletic Club
Pittsburgh, PA

View attachment 825626

Coach - George "Punch" Imlach
AC - Bob "Badger" Johnson

Captain - Lester Patrick
AC - Harvey Pulford
AC - Cyclone Taylor

1. Doug Harvey (5)
2. Cyclone Taylor (42)
3. Martin Brodeur (51)
4. Nikita Kucherov (88)
5. Guy Lapointe (97)
6. Sweeney Schriner (134)
7. Russell Bowie (143)
8. Lester Patrick (180)
9. Paul Thompson (189)
10. Harvey Pulford (225)
11. Marty Barry (234)
12. Bernie Morris (272)
13. Tony Leswick (281)
14. Claude Lemieux (318)
15. Mike Grant (327)
16. Bobby Bauer (364)
17. Punch Imlach (373)
18. Jack Marshall (410)
19. Bob Bourne (419)
20. Fleming Mackell (456)
21. Si Griffis (465)
22. Bob Johnson (502)
23. Percy LeSueur (511)
24. Jack Adams (548)

Forwards:

Sweeney Schriner
Cyclone Taylor
Bernie Morris
Paul Thompson
Russell Bowie
Nikita Kucherov
Tony Leswick
Marty Barry
Bobby Bauer
Bob Bourne
Fleming Mackell
Claude Lemieux

- Spare: Jack Adams - C/LW

Defensemen:

Doug HarveyGuy Lapointe
Harvey PulfordLester Patrick
Mike GrantJack Marshall

-Spare: Si Griffis - D/C

- Note: Jack Marshall, a right handed shot, can also play C, and will be the person to shift up to the 4C spot, if/when Imlach were to move Taylor back to D.

Goalies:

Martin Brodeur
Percy LeSueur

Special Teams:

PP1:

Slot/Net - Bowie
Right Wall - Kucherov
Left Wall - Taylor
QB - Harvey
Trigger - Lapointe

-Johnny and I were quite pleased with how the special team units panned out. Bowie's stock is on the rise but the one thing nobody questioned much was his absolutely dominant goal scoring ability. Put him between facilitators Taylor and Kucherov (and very solid goal scorers themselves, especially Taylor) and you have a recipe for success as far as 1st team F's go.

Harvey and Lapointe is a pair we feel just as excited about. Harvey was the ultimate controller of a game from the back end. Elite QB given his skillset and career credentials in terms of PP scoring.

Over the course of his career Harvey had 232 PP points from 1947-48 through 1968-69. That tied Red Kelly for most in the NHL history. The difference being Harvey scored those points in 203 fewer games. He had a ridiculous 206 PP assists. Kelly was next closest with 161. He'd remain atop that leaderboard until Orr passed them both in 73-74.

Given Harvey's penchant for setting up others, Lapointe has the skating and massive shot to feature well as a trigger from a point position.

PP2:

Slot/Net - Barry
Right Wall - Schriner
Left Wall - Morris
QB - Patrick
Trigger - Grant

-We think the key on the secondary unit is F scoring depth. Schriner is a 90+ VsX player. Barry and Morris are just shy of that mark. It's a wonderful collection of playmaking, goal scoring, and offensive creativity. Patrick and Grant were two very highly regarded offensive defensemen in the earliest era of hockey history. As secondary players, they feel quite solid here.

PK1:

Mackell-Leswick
Pulford-Harvey

-Mackell and Leswick were both highly regarded PK players in their day. Versatile players. The dominant feature of this unit is the Dmen. You'd be hard pressed to find not only a better, but more physical PK pairing.

PK2:

Bourne-Taylor
Lapointe-Marshall

-Key is a fresh (and 99th percentile in speed/skill) skating Bourne and Taylor are absolutely lethal threats to go the other way against potentially tired opposing PP players.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Thanks for the review, Macho! It's nice to see someone taking the time to review some of the rosters assembled.
Post deserves a "like" for just this sentence, alone!

Good on everyone who posted their rosters in the Assassination Thread.

GREAT on everyone who reviewed other teams- especially the ones who reviewed more than one.

No-one's asked me to vote- but if I were a voter, I'd give that some consideration.

[I've said in the past that I view the Assassination Thread line-up post as "training camp," and reviews of other teams as "scouting." So... if you choose not to put your line-up in this thread, it's like saying you don't need to bother with training camp. And if you don't conduct any reviews, it's like saying you won't be troubled by not scouting. It seems that the recent ATD voting trend has been for roster construction to be the exclusive criterion- so perhaps it's for the best that I don't vote.]

Reactions: BenchBrawl

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Coach: Al Arbour
Captain: Ted Kennedy
Assistant: Viacheslav Fetisov
Assistant: Frantisek Pospisil

#17 Vladimir Krutov - #11 Igor Larionov - #24 Sergei Makarov
#14 Doug Bentley - #16 Vladimir Petrov - #20 Vaclav Nedomansky
#10 Gary Roberts - #9 Ted Kennedy - #15 Eric Nesterenko
#21 Kirk Muller - #19 Derek Sanderson - #18 Ed Westfall
#24 Kent Nillson - #12 Pat Verbeek

#7 Frantisek Pospisil - #71 Jan Suchy
#2 Viacheslav Fetisov - #3 Red Dutton
#23 Mike Ramsey - #55 Sergei Gonchar
#8 Randy Carlyle

#20 Vladislav Tretiak
#1 Tiny Thompson

PP1
#17 Vladimir Krutov - #11 Igor Larionov - #24 Sergei Makarov
#2 Viacheslav Fetisov - #55 Sergei Gonchar

PP2
#20 Vaclav Nedomansky
#14 Doug Bentley - #16 Vladimir Petrov - #15 Eric Nesterenko
#71 Jan Suchy

PK1
#9 Ted Kennedy - #15 Eric Nesterenko
#2 Viacheslav Fetisov - #3 Red Dutton

PK2
#19 Derek Sanderson - #18 Ed Westfall
#23 Mike Ramsey - #7 Frantisek Pospisil​

What I like:

Coach and Captain seem like a wonderful fit. Arbour is one of the top 5 coaches ever IMO and the style he preferred would have fit Kennedy to a T(eeder).

KLM back together. Proven real world brilliance against the best of the best. There are zero questions as far as fit goes.

2 way play down the middle. Scoring may not be the calling card of this C group, but you can't argue they'll give you above average 2 way play top to bottom.

Kennedy and Sanderson are 2 of the greatest faceoff artists of all time (someone can refresh me on Larionv and Petrov in that regard, IIRC they were both highly rated). That's a nice little nugget for this team.

Top 4 Dmen. Pos and Suchy reunited. Fetisov and Dutton seems like a good fit and Fetisov is a strong #1, 200 foot impact type player. Dutton feels a little light for a top 4 player, but the other 3 are very good in their roles as 1, 2, 3. It's a really nice mix of finesse and physicality.

Tretiak with a lot of Russians in front of him.

Strong PP units.

What I don't:

Lack of scoring down the middle. Not really a top end guy or much in the way of depth. Larionov is obviously part of a legendary line but in a draft this size, he's going to be overmatched significantly head to head as a #1.

Can the bottom 6 contribute enough as secondary scorers?

I think you need to get Sanderson and Westfall on your top PK unit. Both had elite usage on the kill and Westfall garners most of his value from that role. Maybe you can rotate Kennedy in at times for Sanderson.

Dutton feels light as a top unit PK player. I'd get Pospisil up there.

Overall:

Great effort Claude! I really like that you were able to reunite the KLK line as well as Pos and Suchy. Not the easiest thing to do in a no trade draft. Thanks again for participating.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
hogsmeadelunas.png

Hogsmeade Lunas

Coach: Tommy Ivan
Goaltending Coach - Mitch Korn

Jamie Benn (a) - Frank Boucher - Charlie Conacher
Artemi Panarin - Hooley Smith (a) - Patrick Kane
Gordon Roberts - Joe Thornton - Vic Stasiuk
Blair Russell - Ken Mosdell - Scotty Davidson
David Backes (C/RW)

Allan Stanley - Bobby Orr
Scott Niedermayer - Art Coulter (c)
Jim Schoenfeld - Dan Boyle
Lennart Svedberg (RD)

Grant Fuhr
Hap Holmes

PP1
Boucher/Kane
Panarin - Conacher - Kane/Boucher
Orr

PP2
Benn
Roberts - Smith - Thornton
Boyle

PK1
Mosdell - Smith
Schoenfeld - Orr

PK2
Boucher - Russell
Stanley - Coulter

PK3
Benn - Davidson

I'll explain my first powerplay unit because it may not be obvious what I'm going for (it looks like one of Pat Kane or Frank Boucher is going to be banging home rebounds in front - that's not what I'm after). It's modeled after the Capitals' excellent powerplay between around 2012-2022. Kane and Boucher taking turns quarterbacking from along the half-wall while the other sits to the left of the net as a secondary playmaker from the goal line. Panarin is in the Ovechkin spot since he runs that in real life, and Conacher is the other triggerman in the middle, taking one-timers from Kane and Boucher, while also being big enough to withstand some punishment around the slot. Orr is sort of a mix between a distributor and a pointman while being the skater most responsible for lugging the puck up ice to get zone entries started.

What I Like:

Picking a goaltending coach and having a nice explanation when you made the selection was a shrewd move and shows a lot of creativity for your 1st go around here.

Top line. Has a bit of everything. Great goal scoring, playmaking, defense, solid physicality/checking on the wings, clutch play with Boucher.

Defensive abilities of Boucher and Smith help cover up some defensive holes on the wings in the top 6.

Blueline. Really nice balance top to bottom. Good blend of everything you want to see from that group and Orr is Orr.

Given the D you have, I like the PP set up. It's well thought out and the personnel should bring about good results.

What I Don't Like:

2nd line seems pretty soft. It will be interesting to see how that group plays against the rougher checkers and pairings, especially those who can also skate. If you take away the ability to skate the puck into the zone, who will be counted on to retrieve on the fore-check?

Both of your top C's are killing penalties. Can Boucher handle top line ES minutes, PP duties and taking his turns on the PK? Perhaps running Blair Russel and Mosdell on the top unit would be better use of their talents while preserving some rest for Boucher in particular.

Overall:

Thank you for taking part of this Dr! Glad to see new faces and for a 1st effort, you did a pretty damn good job. I don't see any glaring mistakes or flaws that need correcting.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Regina Capitals
Coach: Dick Irvin

Tommy Phillips - Stan Mikita - Lanny McDonald "C"
Markus Naslund - Evgeni Malkin - Rick Middleton
Dave Andreychuk "A" - Cooney Weiland - Ace Bailey
Brian Sutter - Butch Goring - Jerry Toppazzini
Extra: Rat Westwick, Bob McDougall

Börje Salming "A" - Alexei Kasatonov
Weldy Young- Joe Hall
Vitaly Davydov - Cale Makar
Extra: Viktor Kuzkin

Patrick Roy
Jiri Holeček

PP1

Tommy Phillips - Stan Mikita - Lanny McDonald
Börje Salming - Alexei Kasatonov

PP2
Dave Andreychuk - Evgeni Malkin - Rick Middleton
Weldy Young - Cale Makar

PK1
Cooney Weiland - Ace Bailey
Börje Salming - Alexei Kasatonov

PK2
Butch Goring - Jerry Toppazzini
Weldy Young- Joe Hall

What I Like:

The C's. You have a lot of production in the top 6, with 2 wildly different styles (Mikita/Malkin). Weiland and Goring both add plenty of defensive value but as far as depth scoring goes, they're quite good for 3rd and 4th line roles. Especially Weiland.

Goaltending. Roy gives you a shot in any matchup. Holecek is probably better than a few of the starters in this thing so it will be hard to see you losing any G matchups head to head.

Good blend of 2 way F's in the bottom six (minus Andre). They won't blow the doors off folks but I like the combinations.

PK forwards are strong.

What I Dont:

The blueline seems to be on the weaker side in terms of comps to the rest of the league. It's very tough taking a G/F in the first two rounds of the draft and not be chasing along the defense ranks.

Special teams could use ironing out IMO. For instance:

The top PP unit, I'd absolutely move Malkin and Andreychuk up and Phillips/McDonald down. You want to consolidate the most potent players in that arena and those 2 are just better PP options, especially Malkin.

You need Phillips on your PK. I'd personally move Weiland off the top PK unit and onto the 2nd PP unit so you have a C who can take draws w/Malkin and Mikita playing w/the top group.

So basically run this:

PP1:

Mikita - primary face off
Malkin - secondary face off
Andreychuk
Salming
Kasa

PP2:

Weiland - primary face off
Middleton
McDonald
Young
Makar

PK1:

Phillips - Goring (primary face off)

PK2:

Weiland (primary face off) - Bailey

Overall:

Thank you for taking part in this! You were very active and it's fantastic seeing new folks get into the fold and keep this draft going all these years later. I think you have a nice collection of F's, a downturn on the blue line but the great equalizer in net w/Roy.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Just realized I never posted here to have my lineup assassinated now that voting is ending

Please be gentile

Philadelphia Firebirds

PhillyFirebirds11_x241@2x.jpg

Centers:
14 - Dave Keon
16 - Pat LaFontaine
37 - Patrice Bergeron
66 - Milan Novy
99 - Wayne Gretzky

Left Wings:
7 - Bill Barber
15 - Alexander Yakushev
17 - Wendel Clark
28 - Claude Giroux

Right Wings:
10 - Pavel Bure
11 - Justin Williams
12 - Yvan Cournoyer
24 - Ziggy Palffy
25 - Ed Litzenberger

Defensemen:
4 - Scott Stevens
5 - Carol Vadnais
20 - Gary Suter
27 - Eric Desjardins
33 - Zdeno Chara
40 - Rob Blake
74 - John Carlson

Goaltenders:
31 - Billy Smith
32 - Jonathan Quick

Coach: Pat Burns

Forward Lines:

7 Bill Barber- 99 Wayne Gretzky - 24 Ziggy Palffy

15 Alexander Yakushev - 37 Patrice Bergeron - 10 Pavel Bure

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Dave Keon - 12 Yvan Cournoyer

17 Wendel Clark - 16 Pat LaFontaine - 25 Ed Litzenberger

extra: 11 Justin Williams, 66 Milan Novy

Defense Pairs:

4 Scott Stevens - 40 Rob Blake

33 Zdeno Chara - 27 Eric Desjardins

20 Gary Suter - 74 John Carlson

extra: 5 Carol Vadnais

Goaltenders:

31 Billy Smith

32 Jonathan Quick

PP1:
Gretzky (behind net)
Yakushev - Lafontaine
Bure - Blake

PP2:
Palffy
Giroux - Chara (net front) - Cournoyer
Barber

PK1:
Bergeron - Gretzky
Stevens - Blake

PK2:
Keon - Bure
Chara - Desjardins

Reactions: Lauro

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Drumheller Dinosaurs

John LeClair / Mario Lemieux (A) / Marian Hossa
Michel Goulet / Mats Sundin / Jarome Iginla
Zach Parise / Rod Brind'amour (C) / Jack Walker
Sid Smith / Dave Poulin / Vladimir Vikulov
Spares: Dale Hunter, Phil Kessel

Rod Langway / Pierre Pilote (A)
Vladimir Lutchenko / Al MacInnis
Gus Mortson / Brian Rafalski
Spare: Robert Svehla

Johnny Bower
Carey Price

Coach: Art Ross

PP1
Leclair
Lemieux - Goulet
MacInnis - Rafalski

PP2
Parise
Iginla - Sundin - Hossa
Pilote

PK1
Brind'amour - Walker
Langway - Mortson

PK2
Poulin - Hossa
Lutchenko - MacInnis

Strengths: Strong defense with balanced skillsets. Arguably best PP1 in the draft and up there for PK1 too. Good defensive 3rd line. Lots of guys who can score dirty goals.

Weakness: Top 6 defense, 3rd line offense, playmaking depth after Lemieux.

Coaching: Shore's main coach a good fit to maximize Pilote as puck mover. Cowley's coach a good fit to let Lemieux have freedom.

What I Like:

1. That top line. My goodness will they be a lot to handle, especially once they've sustained possession in the offensive zone. Has something for all hockey types.

2. The 2nd line wingers. Lot of physicality there. 2 way play. Higher end guys as well for 2nd liners.

3. D corps is well balanced. Pilote and Mac give you a really strong 1-2 punch as puck movers (Mac more of the passer vs skater) and they're both covered well by noted stay at home types. It's a "boring" top 4 but one that should be effective though against the faster skating squads, Langway and Mac will need to be on point w/their positioning.

4. PK forwards should put a lot of pressure on opposing points.

What I Don't:

1. Get Pilote on the top PP unit. He's significantly better than Rafalski, even if the latter was strong on the PP. Pilote/Mac seems like a perfect combination given their traits as passer/shooter past masters.

2. As you mentioned, you have a more goal scorers tilt to the F group so playmaking isn't exactly a strong point. The good news is it's not an egregious tilt, and Pilote/Mac are big helpers from the blue line.

Overall:

This is a really nice team. You have more than ample scoring personnel in the top 6, with nice supplemental pieces on the 3rd line. There is a nice blend of 2 way play, physicality, finesse, and Mario is the ace in the hole. The defense isn't going to blow you away but it's certainly above average, especially the top 4. Bower/Price might not be a strong duo in a draft this size but don't count out the clutch factor. They'll keep you in a lot of playoff games. Great job, and thanks for joining this thing!

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad