ATD 2023 Lineup Advice Thread

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Caper and I see the pros to both options, but I’d be curious to see what a few of you would do regarding Blair Russel vs Tim Kerr at RW4, if you were managing the Voyageurs.

Parise - Sundin - Russel
Vs
Parise - Sundin - Kerr

Blair Russel is a guy I really like. One of the stars of his era, very good defensively according to reports, and could score too. Probably one of the better two-way players of his day. Seems to be a guy Hap Day would really like. The one negative, is that even though he has been listed as a C/RW multiple times in the ATD and has played plenty of RW here, more research may need to go into that to make me feel comfortable playing him at RW. A lot of reports I’m finding seem to make note of him playing the left side. So he’d potentially be playing his off-wing here, something that I know a few consider as not ideal or even straight up not a good idea..

Tim Kerr on the other hand provides a big net front presence, a solid scoring option for a 4th line, and could potentially put some real pressure on the D and goalie along with Sundin in-close. He’s slow, but Parise and Sundin would be the primary puck carriers of that line anyways. Another good thing about Kerr is that he gives us another PP weapon as right now we had Dave Keon pencilled into a possible PP2 role and we know that’s obviously not ideal. Kerr would replace Keon there.

Two totally different players, but I’m curious to know what you guys would do?

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
This is our current thinking. Any input is welcome.

Brendan Shanahan - Syl Apps (A) - Charlie Conacher
Alexander Yakushev - Connor McDavid - Pavel Bure
Don Marshall - Ron Francis (A) - Corey Perry
Markus Naslund - Vyacheslav Starshinov - Dave Taylor

Slava Fetisov (C) - Valeri Vasiliev
Ken Reardon - Red Horner
Mark Giordano - Ken Randall
PK Subban

Dominik Hasek
Pekka Rinne

Power Play
First Unit
Shannahan
McDavid-Apps-Conacher
Fetisov

Second Unit
Perry
Yakushev-Francis-Bure
Reardon

Penalty Kill
First Unit
Marshall-Starshinov-Fetisov-Vasiliev

Second Unit
Francis-Bure-Reardon-Randall
Lots of PIMs on the ice at the same time with Reardon and Horner? Otherwise, impressive lineup.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

Ken Reardon - Red Horner
PK Subban

Dominik Hasek
Pekka Rinne

Power Play
First Unit
Shannahan
McDavid-Apps-Conacher
Fetisov

Second Unit
Perry
Yakushev-Francis-Bure
Reardon

Penalty Kill
First Unit

Second Unit

Personally I don't love McDavid and Bure together. To me they are too alike and make those insane individualistic rushes to score. Especially about-to-be 50 goal scorer version of McDavid.

I'd love to see Francis - Bure if you can juggle things to do that without ruining everything. I think they would complement one another perfectly.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Woody Dumart - Mario Lemieux - Jari Kurri
Dean Prentice - Joe Sakic - Alexander Maltsev
Johnny Gottselig - Jean Ratelle - Cecil Dillon
Wayne Cashman - Pit Lepine - Claude Lemieux

Chris Pronger - Jacques Laperriere
Mark Howe - Art Coulter
Mike Grant - Lionel Hitchman

Georges Vezina
Roberto Luongo

PP1:
Maltsev
Kurri - Mario - Sakic
Pronger

PP2:
Prentice
Mario - Ratelle - Dillon
Howe

PK1
Dumart - Lepine
Coulter - Laperriere

PK2
Gottselig - Dillon
Pronger - Hitchman

Appreciate comments on special teams and LW deployment especially.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
My starting lineup

Valeri Kharlamov-Howie Morenz- Bryan Hextall
Frank Mahovlich-Doug Gilmour-Theo Fleury
Dick Duff-Vladimir Petrov-Ziggy Palffy
Joe Klukay-Cooney Weiland-Ron Ellis

Paul Coffey-Rod Langway
Allan Stanley-Hod Stuart
Ryan Suter-Barry Beck

Grant Fuhr
Jiri Holecek

Coach ; Glen Sather

Looking forward to any thoughts on my team. Looking specifically at who gets letters on the team.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Starter controversy. Then again, maybe I'm just saying that because I'm jealous that you got Holecek.

Letters seem like they should be- Gilmour-C, Rod Langway-A, Bryan Hextall- A.
Holecek was actually the runner up when I went with Fuhr. Yeah the letters suggestions are what I was thinking as well. I have tocchet as an extra with the expectation he will fill in for some of my right wingers and provide scoring and toughness.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Appreciate comments on special teams and LW deployment especially.
Good morning- and welcome to GIMLI Trivia Time! Come visit us and get your trivia fix, straight from The Thief(!) Please remember that electronic devices are prohibited- and any team noted using an electronic device during a round will receive a score of "zero" for the Round.

Here on the prairie, Saskatoon selected Nels Stewart- and it was widely understood that much of Stewart's value was as Power Play ordnance- rightly so- BUT!

Availability for NHL Power Play statistics begins in 1933-34. From that time to the last season before American involvement in WW II began (i.e.: the 1940-41 season), Nels Stewart did NOT lead the league in Power Play Points for that period. [He was tied for third during that span- he was on-the-podium, but NOT the top step.] Who WAS the Power-Play Points leader during those years?!?

[Edit-update... the answer to this trivia question is DIRECTLY relevant to Richmond's personnel disbursement.
I'm trying to be Socratic, here...]

Last edited:
Reactions: nabby12

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
1677673367889.png

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I assume it's Dillon based on context, but I also don't see who he replaces on the top PP.

Kurri/Sakic give good one time options, Mario is an elite distributor (and shooter frankly), Maltsev provides a lot of Swiss army potential and can fill gaps.

Dillon I think helps the second unit be a mega threat (especially with Mario playing the full 2 minutes and Ratelle being on the top end of second unit pivots).

Reactions: ChiTownPhilly

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Power Play Points- 1933-34 to 1940-41; in "Countdown" format:
t3: Sweeney Schriner: 55
t3: Nels Stewart: 55
2: Paul Thompson: 56 (IN SPITE OF BEING OUT OF THE LEAGUE AFTER THE 1938-39 SEASON!)
aaand #1!
1., JOHNNY GOTTSELIG 58.

I know there were stretches of depression-era BlackHawks where their offense blew in ways limited only by anatomy and geometry... but the one thing they COULD do was convert a Power Play.

If you're not getting Gottselig some Power Play time, you're leaving a bunch of his value on-the-table.

Reactions: The Macho King

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Power Play Points- 1933-34 to 1940-41; in "Countdown" format:
t3: Sweeney Schriner: 55
t3: Nels Stewart: 55
2: Paul Thompson: 56 (IN SPITE OF BEING OUT OF THE LEAGUE AFTER THE 1938-39 SEASON!)
aaand #1!
1., JOHNNY GOTTSELIG 58.

I know there were stretches of depression-era BlackHawks where their offense blew in ways limited only by anatomy and geometry... but the one thing they COULD do was convert a Power Play.

If you're not getting Gottselig some Power Play time, you're leaving a bunch of his value on-the-table.
Ah... interesting. Thanks.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Joliat carried? In interviews he said he felt like he was standing still as Morenz blew by him.

See this post for a discussion: Playing the Field by Dink Carroll

Joliat was considered the "playmaker" of the Morenz line, despite Morenz' better assist totals. From other similar quotes in the same article, I came to the conclusion that the use of "playmaker" at the time really meant the primary puck carrier of the line.

Ken Reardon - Red Horner
PK Subban

Dominik Hasek
Pekka Rinne

Power Play
First Unit
Shannahan
McDavid-Apps-Conacher
Fetisov

Second Unit
Perry
Yakushev-Francis-Bure
Reardon

Penalty Kill
First Unit

Second Unit

Maybe swap Apps and McDavid. Conacher and Shanahan can both benefit from a classic playmaker more than a puck-hoggy player like Bure. Apps was more of a puck rusher than a playmaker, pretty balanced scorer.

Actually, a two-way guy like Francis is probably the right TYPE of center to center Bure, but then I don't know what you would do with Marshall.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Caper and I see the pros to both options, but I’d be curious to see what a few of you would do regarding Blair Russel vs Tim Kerr at RW4, if you were managing the Voyageurs.

Parise - Sundin - Russel
Vs
Parise - Sundin - Kerr

Blair Russel is a guy I really like. One of the stars of his era, very good defensively according to reports, and could score too. Probably one of the better two-way players of his day. Seems to be a guy Hap Day would really like. The one negative, is that even though he has been listed as a C/RW multiple times in the ATD and has played plenty of RW here, more research may need to go into that to make me feel comfortable playing him at RW. A lot of reports I’m finding seem to make note of him playing the left side. So he’d potentially be playing his off-wing here, something that I know a few consider as not ideal or even straight up not a good idea..

Tim Kerr on the other hand provides a big net front presence, a solid scoring option for a 4th line, and could potentially put some real pressure on the D and goalie along with Sundin in-close. He’s slow, but Parise and Sundin would be the primary puck carriers of that line anyways. Another good thing about Kerr is that he gives us another PP weapon as right now we had Dave Keon pencilled into a possible PP2 role and we know that’s obviously not ideal. Kerr would replace Keon there.

Two totally different players, but I’m curious to know what you guys would do?

Do you need Tim Kerr for your PP? Because he's basically useless at even strength at this level.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Do you need Tim Kerr for your PP? Because he's basically useless at even strength at this level.

I mean, Keon and Parise are options for PP2 but I feel like Kerr is the best option of the three. But yeah, I’m not crazy about the thought of benching Russel strictly to make sure Kerr dresses to play the PP. The hesitancy is because Russel appears to be a LW, even though many ATD GM’s have played him at RW.

This is what we’re likely looking at with Kerr as the 13th forward:

PP1:

Schriner - Mikita - Forsberg
Geoffrion - Lapointe

PP2:

Conacher - Sundin - Keon/Parise
Hatcher - Robinson

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
See this post for a discussion: Playing the Field by Dink Carroll

Joliat was considered the "playmaker" of the Morenz line, despite Morenz' better assist totals. From other similar quotes in the same article, I came to the conclusion that the use of "playmaker" at the time really meant the primary puck carrier of the line.

Maybe swap Apps and McDavid. Conacher and Shanahan can both benefit from a classic playmaker more than a puck-hoggy player like Bure. Apps was more of a puck rusher than a playmaker, pretty balanced scorer.

Actually, a two-way guy like Francis is probably the right TYPE of center to center Bure, but then I don't know what you would do with Marshall.
Maybe Morenz was more the transition guy, Joliat the inzone guy.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Re: Morenz/Joliat’s puck carrying, Elmer Ferguson placed Morenz on Nighbor’s left wing when he made his all-star team of the last 10 years in 1933. I don’t have Ferguson’s article, but another columnist said Ferguson said Morenz belonged on left wing because “he invariably swings there when Joliat is carrying the puck and it is from there he makes most of his scoring plays.”

Of course Ferguson put Morenz there so he didn’t have to omit Morenz or Nighbor. But there’s also the sense that Joliat played more of a centre role and Morenz more of a winger role. Morenz received some all star votes at wing from the coaches in the late 20s, so Ferguson wasn’t the only one to think this way.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Re: Morenz/Joliat’s puck carrying, Elmer Ferguson placed Morenz on Nighbor’s left wing when he made his all-star team of the last 10 years in 1933. I don’t have Ferguson’s article, but another columnist said Ferguson said Morenz belonged on left wing because “he invariably swings there when Joliat is carrying the puck and it is from there he makes most of his scoring plays.”

Of course Ferguson put Morenz there so he didn’t have to omit Morenz or Nighbor. But there’s also the sense that Joliat played more of a centre role and Morenz more of a winger role. Morenz received some all star votes at wing from the coaches in the late 20s, so Ferguson wasn’t the only one to think this way.
I have the Morenz biography by Dean Robinson, I assume you read through that? I've never heard anything like that. And Joliat himself says he mostly was standing still as Morenz blew by him like a "ghost".

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
I have the Morenz biography by Dean Robinson, I assume you read through that? I've never heard anything like that. And Joliat himself says he mostly was standing still as Morenz blew by him like a "ghost".
No, I’m afraid not. I’ll have to pick it up.

Yeah, I’ve definitely read that Morenz was a great puck rusher. I wouldn’t think he was lacking in that area.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
1674746490834.png

Coach: Joel Quenneville

Bo. Hull - Nighbor (C) - Provost
Phillips (A) - Lalonde (A) - Alf
Noble - Hooley - Toppazzini
Shutt - Peca - M. Tkachuk
C Primeau (L), RW Dino C. (R)

Quackenbush - Seibert
Gardiner - Zubov
Pratt - Desjardins
Mark Tinordi (L)

Broda
Worsley

Power Play

Bo. Hull - LaLonde - Alf - Quackenbush - Zubov

Phillips - Noble - Hooley - Pratt - Desjardins

Penalty Kill

Nighbor - Provost - Gardiner - Seibert

Peca - Toppazzini - Pratt - Desjardins

^our current lineup, open to any suggestions.

@Bogart

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
@Stanky Marmalade and I were looking to build a two-way, 1-2-2 team. Advice?

Sud-Ouest (PSC) Attack
Home Rink: Point-St-Charles Arena

Co-GM:
@Stanky Marmalade

969EC013-5FF9-439B-BCA6-66588D37633F.jpeg

Coach: Darryl Sutter

Patrik Elias -- Sidney Crosby (C) -- Mark Recchi
Doug Bentley - Milt Schmidt (A) - Helmuts Balderis
Jere Lehtinen
-- Mike Modano -- Dany Heatley
Gary Roberts -- Duke Keats -- Frank Finnigan
Denis Savard
Pavol Demitra

Dit Clapper (A) --- Brad Park
Jack Stewart --- Bob Goldham
Pat Stapleton --- Jack Crawford
Gary Suter

Clint Benedict
Carey Price

PP1:

Suter
Park - Crosby - Balderis
Clapper

PP2:
Stapleton
Heatley - Recchi - Bentley
Schmidt

PK1: Stewart-Goldham-Schmidt-Bentley
PK2: Staple-Crawford/Park-Elias-Finnigan

1678513706129.png

Last edited:

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
@Stanky Marmalade and I were looking to build two way 1-2-2 team. Advice?

Sud-Ouest (PSC) Attack
Home Rink: Point-St-Charles Arena

Co-GM:
@Stanky Marmalade

969EC013-5FF9-439B-BCA6-66588D37633F.jpeg

Coach: Darryl Sutter

Patrik Elias -- Sidney Crosby (C) -- Mark Recchi
Doug Bentley - Milt Schmidt (A) - Helmuts Balderis
Jere Lehtinen
-- Mike Modano -- Dany Heatley
Gary Roberts -- Duke Keats -- Frank Finnigan
Denis Savard
Pavol Demitra

Dit Clapper (A) --- Brad Park
Jack Stewart --- Bob Goldham
Pat Stapleton --- Jack Crawford
Gary Suter

Clint Benedict
Carey Price

PP1:

Suter
Park - Crosby - Balderis
Clapper

PP2:
Stapleton
Heatley - Recchi - Bentley
Schmidt

PK1: Stewart-Goldham-Schmidt-Bentley
PK2: Staple-Crawford/Park-Elias-Finnigan
You'll probably have to dress Gary Suter if he's going to play on the first power play unit. Getting Modano on one of the units and letting Park run the point on the first unit is probably a better idea than any contortion that allows both Suter and Stapleton in the lineup as offensive-minded LDs.

Reactions: tinyzombies

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
nabby12 & ChiTownPhilly - Gimil Whisky Thieves (PLURALITY 20 TYPICALLY DRESSED)

Coach: Tommy Ivan
Special Assistant To Coach: Vladimir Kostka

Ted Lindsay (A) --- Ted Kennedy (C) --- Teemu Selanne

Paul Thompson --- Leon Draisaitl --- Rod Gilbert
Claude Giroux --- Max Bentley --- Eric Nesterenko
Esa Tikkanen --- Pavel Datsyuk --- Ed Westfall

Nicklas Lidstrom (A) --- Al MacInnis
Georges Boucher --- Jan Suchy
Leo Reise Jr. --- Teppo Numminen

Frank Brimsek
Chuck Rayner
Typically, we're not big fans of having two letters on the same line- but I don't see how one DOESN'T give a letter to Lindsay. Is there any defense for doing otherwise?!

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
You'll probably have to dress Gary Suter if he's going to play on the first power play unit. Getting Modano on one of the units and letting Park run the point on the first unit is probably a better idea than any contortion that allows both Suter and Stapleton in the lineup as offensive-minded LDs.
Wait but if I dress him as a 7 he can probably run pp2?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad