ATD 2017 Lineup Advice Thread

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
We usually do these every year. It's a great help for a lot of people as they build their teams.

I'll start; What kind of defenseman should I get to pair with Lidstrom? An offensive guy or a defensive guy?

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
What type of players should we round out our top 5 with?

Perhaps a LW that will go to the front of the net? The players you have bring a bit of just about everything between them, but if Conacher has a bit more space to unleash his cannon from a distance, he's 10% scarier.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
We usually do these every year. It's a great help for a lot of people as they build their teams.

I'll start; What kind of defenseman should I get to pair with Lidstrom? An offensive guy or a defensive guy?

I think the two most important factors for Lidstrom's partner are:

1. A right handed shot. Lidstrom has said he prefers playing with a RHS and his best seasons came while paired with one.

2. I would get him a partner who can be effective in a more aggressive role in the defensive zone, i.e. going into the corners and after the puck more than playing in front of the net - because Lidstrom was best when covering the net front with his great positioning and defensive stick. For example, I would not pair Lidstrom with Chara because they both preferred the net front role and their partners did more work in the corners.

I think an offensive partner would work best but a defensive partner who fits the two criteria above could also work well.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

Having watched Lidstrom for a majority of his career, he played best with two right handed, offensive dynamos in the late 90s and late 00's respectively. He even got a lot out of Ian White(who I can't imagine being drafted,) so your best bet is an offensive, right handed guy, imo.

Same question for Bourque, what kind of defenseman should we pair him with?

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Were Clapper and Gadsby anything special on special teams?

I know Gadsby was a great shot blocker and Clapper was good at keeping the puck away from the net

I think I can get away from having a true PPQB with Taylor

Last edited:

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Anyone with any problems playing

Gadsby and Clapper together at ES?

Both were known to be able to move the puck with Clapper better in his own end.

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
After Fetisov - Undrafted

After last year, would like to double check that it fits :laugh:

I'm just a noob, but I think it's a good idea to have two D that can skate the puck up the ice since it quickens the transition. Clapper and Gadsby are both guys that can skate, but I'd say Clapper is a more defensive oriented guy. He'll know when to hang back when Gadsby rushes up the ice. I did the same thing with Stuart and Horton. Just don't put two D together whose biggest asset is joining in the rush to aid in the offense. One, you don't get to maximize their strength, and two, these guys usually tended to be average defensively in real life, and average in real life = poor in an ATD context.

If there's one thing watching the Oilers for the last five years teaches you, is it's never too bad to have too many D that can actually move the puck up ice, rather than just dumping it out, or making a short little pass to the FWs so the FWs have to do it all.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
What kind of line mate would you think is a good fit with the Howe/Howe combo. We still haven't decided if we are using Syd Howe at Centre or Left Wing.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
What kind of line mate would you think is a good fit with the Howe/Howe combo. We still haven't decided if we are using Syd Howe at Centre or Left Wing.

Basically anyone. I would just grab the best available center whenever it is you choose to make that selection.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Bad idea.

I kinda felt the same way, I guess I'd prefer he didn't have to deal with anything except just playing hockey, but figured I'd ask anyway.

But he did captain teams for about a decade so he has lots of experience as a leader.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad