ATD 2015 - to trade or not to trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
note that only votes from gms with confirmed teams will count when this is over, so the poll results you see are not necessarily what the results will end up

I believe that other than determining draft order, this is the one outstanding issue left to decide.

If we do allow trades, I propose we use something very similar to 2013's rules which worked quite well:

ATD 2013 trade rules said:
  • Trading is to be reasonably fair and balanced and lopsided trades will need to be re-worked or dropped. This is at the discretion of the trade committee.
  • Each team may make up to 8 trades.
  • A submitted trade counts towards the maximum, even if it is vetoed (exception - first time GMs). Don't submit lopsided trades.
  • No more than 4 assets per team may be traded at a time.
  • Swapping all positions before the draft doesn't count as a "trade" for the purposes of the above rules.
  • Trading while on the clock is allowed. However, using your entire clock to openly shop a pick annoys your fellow GMs, so do it sparingly. If GMs abuse trading on the clock, a rule could be added against it

The other option is no trades like 2014

ATD 2014 Trade Rules said:
3). Trades - No trades!
  • Swapping your entire set of draft picks with another GM before either of you has made a single pick is allowed, however.

***NOTE: 87and71 has changed his vote from Yes Trades to No Trades, therefore, -1 vote for Yes Trades and +1 vote for No Trades.

Last edited:

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Limit when trade can occur and lo it the number of rades

Trades drag out the draft and gms also miss picks because of toe dragging. Trader gms

There are ways to get around any limits on when trades can occur, for example, if you can't trade on the clock then just have the guy otc pick the player of the person he's trading with and then they do a trade later.

Were you thinking of anything else other than on the clock?

A trade limit is something that should be discussed should trades be allowed.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
First of all, is there people willing admin this?

Good question.

Updating trades isn't hard if they are restricted to 4 or fewer assets per team per trade and 8 or fewer trades per team. I'm hoping that most GMs voting for trades will at least consider starting one of the several OPs that will be needed. Mods can HELP edit all OPs, but should never be the primary for any individual thread.

Also realize that voting for trades is voting to have more times when the OP is a few hours behind, which I don't care about at all, but some might.

I'm sure we'll have a few volunteers for the trade committee too - we always do.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'll volunteer to be on the trade committee if that option ends up winning. The more people on the committee the better, as a great majority of the trades are easily approved, and the greater the chances of a committee member being online when the trade is announced the less delays we will have.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I'll volunteer to be on the trade committee if that option ends up winning. The more people on the committee the better, as a great majority of the trades are easily approved, and the greater the chances of a committee member being online when the trade is announced the less delays we will have.

I'd be willing to do the same as well as manage one of the draft threads.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
You guys are forgetting how trading slows the draft down
Just have a RULE: No trading of picks ON THE CLOCK.

Some drafts even have no trading of picks from the current round.

No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

That, of course, is coming from the pro-trade side of things. I liked the drama of the no-trade draft last year (will the guy I want drop? *anticipation*).

Too bad there isn't much interest in a trade conference and no trade conference to allow those who want each to compete only against each, except for the final (VERY MUCH like the NHA had therir own rules and the PCHA had their own rules but the champion of each played the other for the Stanley Cup).

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The "no trading on the clock" rule slowed things down even more than actual trading on the clock once GMs figured out how to circumvent it. Just secretly negotiate with other GMs to pick the player they want on your clock, then trade that guy to them. There were a couple times that these secret negotiations fell through and it delayed the pick of the other GM, as well.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
note that only votes from gms with confirmed teams will count when this is over, so the poll results you see are not necessarily what the results will end up

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Should read 14 (no) 10 (yes) as i changed my mind a few days back in favor of the pre draft trade window with no trades once the draft clock starts.

There are actually a few votes from people without teams at the moment.

By my count, it's actually 13 (no) 9 (yes) including jkrx and Hobnobs who are maybes. 11 (no) 9 (yes), not including them.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Damn, i hate to be THAT guy, but i really don't like trading through the entire draft. I hope the trading prior to the draft wins out as it seems like a good compromise between outright trades and nothing at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad