ATD 2015 - Line up Advice Thread

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Thanks for posting this. Wondering about Delvecchio, should I switch him to left wing or keep him at centre?

SchultzSquared*

I would wait to see who else you get. If you can get good value at one position, move him to make room.

tony does not pick again until 207... wing will probably offer best value then... I say probably of course because it is impossible to know

???-Delvecchio-Lafleur

Park-Flaman

Benedict

Is probably easier to argue for than Delvecchio-???-Lafleur when the third wheel comes from outside the top 200

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Thanks, I think Delvecchio played centre way more than he did at left wing. I'll see who's on the board at 207 and take it from there. Thanks all for your input.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
How much LW did he play?

I believe that Delvecchio only spent 2 years out of his long career as a full-time left wing, and it was to accommodate Norm Ullman at center, as those were the 2 years Detroit chose to stack their top line with Delvecchio-Ullman-Howe, rather than have Ullman carry the 2nd line as he normally did.

Not like Sid Abel, who I believe spent the first 1/3 of his NHL career at LW.

That would seem to be a case against Delvecchio at LW.

However, Delvecchio doesn't seem to have seen any dropoff in his calibre of play at LW, so one could argue that he proved he was just as good there as at C.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
tony does not pick again until 207... wing will probably offer best value then... I say probably of course because it is impossible to know

???-Delvecchio-Lafleur

Park-Flaman

Benedict

Is probably easier to argue for than Delvecchio-???-Lafleur when the third wheel comes from outside the top 200

Ohhh right. If he doesn't have a #1 center yet, he should probably just keep Delvecchio there. I would only try Delvecchio at LW here if you already have a star at C.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
So Delvecchio-Savard-Lafleur or LW-Delvecchio-Lafleur with Savard anchoring a 2nd line?

SchultzSquared*

So Delvecchio-Savard-Lafleur or LW-Delvecchio-Lafleur with Savard anchoring a 2nd line?

I do not buy Savard as a 1C in a 32 team draft... fortunately you have lots of bullets in the chamber yet to get a LW and still come out with a respectable top six

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Savard on the second line. A Delvecchio-Savard-Lafleur line is quite soft. Delvecchio was a great two-way player, but not gritty at all.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Thanks for posting this. Wondering about Delvecchio, should I switch him to left wing or keep him at centre?

When in doubt, default to the natural position, which in this case is center. Delvecchio did have some brief success at the LW on a super-stacked Production Line, but he was a center for the vast majority of his career. Unless you can come close to reproducing the conditions under which he thrived as a left wing, you're probably safer playing him at the pivot.

Also, TDMM is right that Savard is no #1C in this draft, and you're not going to find anyone else to play that role at this point. Better to leave Delvecchio as the pivot of the 1st line and drop Savard to the 2nd.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
imo, delvecchio is an ideal C for lafleur. it can be difficult to get a C for a puck-dominant W, but delvecchio played for a long time with one.

Sdrawkcab321

Oct 12, 2014
Cleveland
Thoughts on

Kovy Yzerman iginla

Sundin - cournoyer

Would you guys switch kovy for cournoyer ? Kovy likes to handle the puck a lot which is something I'd want Yzerman doing.

Iginla can play anywhere and cournoyer needs a good playmaking C which I have on both lines

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Neither Iginla nor Cournoyer can switch wings as far as I know, so I don't quite get what you mean by switching Kovalchuk for Cournoyer. I think the real question here is which center you think is best for Kovy, and there, I would say Sundin. If you can find a LW that you're happy with on the Yzerman line, that is probably the best solution.

Kovy - Sundin - Cournoyer is not a perfectly composed line, but I think it gets more out of Kovalchuk than you'd get with Yzerman, and the Kovy/Cournoyer combination is scary, scary fast. A lot of defenses would struggle to track both of those guys in transition.

Sdrawkcab321

Oct 12, 2014
Cleveland
Neither Iginla nor Cournoyer can switch wings as far as I know, so I don't quite get what you mean by switching Kovalchuk for Cournoyer. I think the real question here is which center you think is best for Kovy, and there, I would say Sundin. If you can find a LW that you're happy with on the Yzerman line, that is probably the best solution.

Kovy - Sundin - Cournoyer is not a perfectly composed line, but I think it gets more out of Kovalchuk than you'd get with Yzerman, and the Kovy/Cournoyer combination is scary, scary fast. A lot of defenses would struggle to track both of those guys in transition.

So perhaps go with a kovy Yzerman cournoyer line ?

That would be a lot of speed and skill

Let iginla play with mats

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Besides Orr anyone here letter worthy? I don't really see anyone should be a clear cut choice for captain, a lot of leadership but no true leader. Any suggestions?

Peter Forsberg
Bernie Geoffrion
Wayne Cashman
Vladimir Petrov
Bobby Orr
Moose Johnson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad