ATD 2014 planning (proposed rules in post 234)

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Since it came up in the other thread, might as well bring it up now.

Last year, we had a late January start date, and it caused a lot of impatience.

Mid-January this year?

I don't care if someone is impatience. I rather have great draft with few complications than a rushed one.

Besides, one of the most impatient GMs prolly set the record for most skipped picks last draft :naughty:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I don't care if someone is impatience. I rather have great draft with few complications than a rushed one.

Besides, one of the most impatient GMs prolly set the record for most skipped picks last draft :naughty:

Personally, I really don't see a need to go over the rules in excruciating detail like last time. I think the rules worked pretty well last draft. Other than the annual discussion on trading rules (which we'll have in early January when everyone is around), the only change I'd make would be to go back to 4 divisions. Edit: And go back to the old playoff format.

Keep the assassination threads separated by division; I thought that worked really well.

Last edited:

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Personally, I really don't see a need to go over the rules in excruciating detail like last time. I think the rules worked pretty well last draft. Other than the annual discussion on trading rules (which we'll have in early January when everyone is around), the only change I'd make would be to go back to 4 divisions. Keep the assassination threads separated by division; I thought that worked really well.

Except in our division where it became a 20 pages long flame war

Last edited by a moderator:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Olympics will provide a significant boost in the all-time worth of some players (Will Luongo back another Olympic gold and put doubt to rest? Will Weber again be the tourney best dman? Will Datsyuk be MVP? etcetera). So, a mid-January start will get us to the middle rounds by the end of February, where many of the contemporary midcareer stars are drafted, making for a dynamic discussion of the Olympics and the draft side by side.

Ideally, the all-time draft should start as early in January as possible, to be finished by the end of April rather than the end of May once again. Perhaps 2014 will be like 2011 was and we get an ATD, MLD, AAA, Double-A and Single-A Draft in again, another 2000-pick year! :yo:

Establish a hard and fast deadline to join (e.g., December 31st or January 10th and simply not have the clock start until like the 15th to accommodate any late holidayers).

The sooner a start date is set, the sooner a deadline to join can be set, the sooner active recruitment can be done.

The only disadvantage of having sign-ups begin in December is that Christmas is a hectic season for many, though it doesn't take long to reply to a PM and post "Hey, I'll be drafting a team in January" and recruitment could begin before the holidays and stretch right through to the new year. Of course, if that is done, there might end up being 40 teams!

Perhaps get a poll going with "beginning of January, middle of January or late January" options.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I'll be in again for the 2014 ATD, I support a cap on teams of 32, 8 4 team divisions with a deadline to join of January 10th 2014, the draft order being announced on the 15th and the draft to start on Saturday January 18th 2014.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I'll be in again for the 2014 ATD, I support a cap on teams of 32, 8 4 team divisions with a deadline to join of January 10th 2014, the draft order being announced on the 15th and the draft to start on Saturday January 20th 2014.

I think this board would explode if GMs had to wait 5 days to know the draft order after we had all the slots filled.

Last edited:

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I would be very much in favor of a draft with a different number of teams than 32. If you have a couple of drafts under your belt you know that the same draft patterns come up every year...either runs on certain position or specific player combos. I would love to look at something totally different. I would even rather do 2 separate 16 team drafts than a 32 again. Anyone else feel this way?

Last edited:

Elvis P

Truth is the first casualty
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
Upon further thought, I have a perfect record the last 2 years. I've been abandoned by 2 different GMs and lost in the first round twice. If I teamed up with a stronger GM (by stronger than me read anyone) I could win in the first round and spoil my perfect record. Or I could drag someone else down with me. ;)

Seriously, I'm gonna retire from the big main ATD permanently, make myself useful, and help TDMM edit the OP. This will also either open up a slot for another GM or reduce the chances of my Co-GM losing in the first round. ;) Have a great time, guys! :yo: :yo: :yo:

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Bowie is definitely already a scoringline center at 32 teams. It's debatable how good a 2nd liner he is, but I'd have a hard time keeping him out of my top-62 centers, let alone the top-62 who are appropriate for a scoringline and accounting for teams which draft three centers early, etc.

Is now the time to start discussing a better second tiebreaker than 3 stars voting? Or possibly an amendment to the 3 stars voting, like maybe removing 1st rounders? I dunno, but we had an important series go down to the 2nd tiebreaker last year and I think a lot of people were unsatisfied with how the series was decided, and justifiably so.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
Bowie is definitely already a scoringline center at 32 teams. It's debatable how good a 2nd liner he is, but I'd have a hard time keeping him out of my top-62 centers, let alone the top-62 who are appropriate for a scoringline and accounting for teams which draft three centers early, etc.

Is now the time to start discussing a better second tiebreaker than 3 stars voting? Or possibly an amendment to the 3 stars voting, like maybe removing 1st rounders? I dunno, but we had an important series go down to the 2nd tiebreaker last year and I think a lot of people were unsatisfied with how the series was decided, and justifiably so.

Yes this is absolutely something that should be discussed right now and changed.

I don't have a particular idea right now, but give me a few days to mull on this.

Elvis P

Truth is the first casualty
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
...Is now the time to start discussing a better second tiebreaker than 3 stars voting? Or possibly an amendment to the 3 stars voting, like maybe removing 1st rounders?...
Yeah, the guy who drafts Pierre Pilote in the 2nd round is not gonna have an unfair advantage over the guy who drafts Mark Howe. :laugh:

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I would be very much in favor of a draft with a different number of teams than 32. If you have a couple of drafts under your belt you know that the same draft patterns come up every year...either runs on certain position or specific player combos. I would love to look at something totally different. I would even rather do 2 separate 16 team drafts than a 32 again. Anyone else feel this way?

I think I would rather 24 or 28 teams. We used to do 28 teams here and it's amazing how much different the teams look than at 32 teams. It also gives an actual reward for finishing 1st in the regular season (a first round bye). I think the Leafs Central draft did a 16 team draft and the teams were laughably stacked with guys like Lindros and Ratelle playing on the 4th line.

That said, the idea of doing 2 16 team drafts is interesting - would the winners of each play in a finals series for the ultimate winner? That could be amusing if they have a couple of players in common. A down side to 2 simultaneous ATDs is what would it mean for the MLD? I realize that the majority of ATD GMs don't care about the lower drafts, so I don't think we should turn down an idea for the ATD just because of the affect on lower drafts, but it is worth considering.

Then there is always the idea of doing two smaller drafts in a year - rather than a 32 team draft in January, do a 16-24 team draft, then another 16-24 team draft in June or July. (The dedicated MLDers will hate this idea though).

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Like vecens, I think 3 stars voting is a terrible tiebreaker, but can't think of a better one. Honestly, I would rather just PM GMs who aren't even following things and have them vote. Kind of sucks to have a series determined by GMs who aren't paying attention, but I still think it's better than 3 stars voting.

IF we're barring 1st rounders from 3 stars voting, I think we should also bar 2nd rounders, because the beginning of the 2nd round still contains guys who will almost always be voted for. I'm not sure if that's a road we really want to go down though.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL

Yes this is absolutely something that should be discussed right now and changed.

I don't have a particular idea right now, but give me a few days to mull on this.

Like vecens, I think 3 stars voting is a terrible tiebreaker, but can't think of a better one. Honestly, I would rather just PM GMs who aren't even following things and have them vote. Kind of sucks to have a series determined by GMs who aren't paying attention, but I still think it's better than 3 stars voting.

IF we're barring 1st rounders from 3 stars voting, I think we should also bar 2nd rounders, because the beginning of the 2nd round still contains guys who will almost always be voted for. I'm not sure if that's a road we really want to go down though.

How about we find an ATD veteran that is not participating in the draft and designate him as "Mr. Tiebreaker." This person would not vote on any series, but in the case of a tie he would make the ultimate decision. It should probably be someone with a lot of experience. I also think it would be a good idea to give the tied GM's one or two extra days to make a final case for themselves. Since Mr. Tiebreaker is not a participating GM it would be an opportunity to catch him up on some issues that may have been discussed earlier in the draft that he may have missed, and would also give him some time to think things over.

I'm thinking someone like Sturm, Seventies, Arrbez would be good for this role assuming that they aren't participating

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad