ATD 2014 - Draft Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
The Pittsburgh Bankers select C/LW Patrick Marleau

Sorry for the delay guys just got home from work and had to rush to make this pick

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
1) Generally accepted view
2) General profiles of Shadrin praise his penalty killing ability, and as far as I know, he's the only Soviet forward for which that is true. Kind of how Jiri Holik is the only 70s European winger whose two-way play is featured prominently in his profiles. Most of them are just 'blah blah, great technical player, gorgeous passer, skates like the wind, blah blah, look how many goals he scored"

Chidlovski (grain of salt I know) called Petrov a penalty killer, and I found a few quotes about Petrov scoring shorthanded goals in the 1972 Summit Series. There was also an SI article that referenced a Bruins PKing duo that was broken up as the best PKing unit this side of Kharlamov & Petrov. Here's the bio:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=79715345&postcount=42

I'm not planning on using Petrov on even a PK3 unit and am not very confident that he was a good PKer, but it shows that he at least did do it.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
EHC Munchen welcomes back the Little Ball of Hate, Pat Verbeek, RW.

verbeekarticle_33836_1.jpg

He's the only player in NHL history with 500+ goals and 2500+ penalty minutes.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Im guessing it has to do with getting drunk or in that area.

I originally brought that up because I just thought it was one of my funny atd moments. But since you guys keep talkin about i was actually back for parole violation

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I like Marleau. Should be a good bottom six forward. He versatile, had speed and can basically slot in wherever I need him.
He has limited experience at RW, but he would be decent for the 2nd pp unit for rebounds and tip-ins. Fourth line left wing as an all-time starter is where I'd put him on a utility line that has a hodge podge of talents (grinders, checkers, fighters, special teams players, and guys who could sub higher int he line-up when needed due to injuries, penalties, game ejections). While not particularly creative or physical, he brings all-time competition worthy speed, positioning and soft hands.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I think that Marleau has upped his defensive credentials enough in the past few years to be a viable 4th line LW/2nd unit PK guy here.

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
The Kenora Thistles are pleased to round out their defence by selecting:

Craig Ludwig -- Defence
000545659.jpg

Greatest Hockey Legends said:
He was a classic stay-at-home defenseman, perhaps the best of his era. He was a hulking 6'3" 220 lb monster who loved to play physically, yet he played remarkably cleanly. He rarely took dumb penalties. In fact he barely average one PIM a game in his career. He made up for his lack of ability with experience and good hockey sense which allowed him to read plays and anticipate what the oncoming attacker was going to do. Mentally tough and poised under pressure, shot blocking was a forte of Ludwig's. Using incredibly thick and wide shin pads (people use to joke he wore street hockey goalie pads for shin pads), Ludwig fearlessly would throw himself in front of any shot. He was a leader in the dressing room and on the ice. He knew his role and played within his own limitations.

Excellent bio by BraveCanadian

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Very interesting video on Rod Gilbert:

He was paralyzed in jr. hockey and then apparently almost died in the hospital a few years later…perhaps this could explain his slower start to his career.

Also around the 14:00 minute mark it gives a great description of his line mates and how I think Beliveau - Mohns are the ideal line mates for him.

Gilbert part starts around the 3:00 mark.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad