ATD 2014 Draft Choice Allocation (mod - see post 150 for update)

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Hi kids. Allright, ATD 2014 will be a 26 team, no-trade draft, with opposite conference voting (non-divisional/opponent voting in the finals) used as the 2nd and 3rd playoff voting tiebreakers. There will be four phases to the pick allocation process:

1) Random allocation of top-5 picks. Teams can opt-out of this process if they do not want a top-5 pick.

2) Early allocation of draft slots to GMs who voted in every round of the playoffs last year. This includes GMs from the following list:

BraveCanadian
tony_d
MadArcand
BillyShoe
Rob Scuderi
VanIslander/Hedberg
TheDevilMadeMe
Hawkey_Town

Preferences will be submitted as an ordered list of five. GMs can opt-out of this process if they want to be allocated in the main pool, or randomly in round 4. I will resolve the allocation of picks in this round according to a simple algorithm:

- the lowest preference number corresponding to a certain draft pick wins if the pick for that GM has not already been assigned.

- assignment of picks will go from low to high. All of the #1 preferences will be assigned first (with the possibility that there will be conflicts and some GMs may not get their choice). Then the #2s, etc.

- in the case of multiple preference numbers of equal value (eg. three people submit the #8 pick as their first preference), the winner will be determined by random drawing.

It is possible that a GM may get none of his top-5 choices in such a system. If that turns out to be the case, I will contact that GM via PM, and allow him to choose his draft position from the list of what's remaining.

3) Allocation of the main pool of draft picks. This will proceed through the same procedure as above for the remaining GMs, with one exception: GMs who are not awarded any of their top-5 picks will fall into round 4.

Here are the phase 3 GMs:

jkrx - Detroit Red Wings
Dwight - West Island Lions
Velociraptor - Belfast Giants
chaosrevolver & Dreakmur - Montreal Shamrocks
Jafar - Montreal Canadiens
King Forsberg - Modo Hockey
JFA87-66-99 - Pittsburgh Bankers
monster_bertuzzi - Vancouver Millionaires
markrander87 - Victoria Salsa
Hobnobs - Rögle BK
papershoes - Kenora Thistles
bluesfan94 & Nalyd Psycho - Kansas City Scouts
Leaf Lander - Toronto Maple Leafs
SchultzSquared - Salt Lake Golden Eagles
Stoneberg - Halifax Citadels
ResilientBeast - Edmonton Eskimos
ted1971 - Quebec Aces
87and71 - Pittsburgh Hornets

4) Random allocation of the remaining picks.

Every team needs to PM me with draft preferences, when I ask for PMs in this thread. There will two distinct rounds of PMs.

Round 1:
- all GMs will indicate if they wish to be in the top-5 pick pool.
- GMs from the phase 2 pool will submit an ordered list (1 - 5) of their pick preferences. (*please, put it all in one PM, guys*)

Round 2:
- GMs from the phase 3 pool who have not already received a top-5 pick will submit an ordered list (1 - 5) of their pick preferences from the picks remaining after phase 2 results are posted.

Not submitting preferences will be interpreted as an opt out of the relevant phase. So if you're in the phase three pool and you don't want a top-5 pick, you don't need to send me a PM in Round 1 saying that you wish to opt out; you will be automatically removed from the top-5 lottery by not cluttering my inbox, and you will have my eternal gratitude.

Similarly, if you truly do not care where you pick, you can ignore this thread completely, send me no PMs, and your team will be assigned a pick in phase 4, which might actually be kind of interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Round 1 preferences can be submitted now. PMs go to me.

edit: I will leave the Round 1 period open until the evening (my time) Thursday, meaning Thursday morning for you guys in north america. That should be sufficient time for everybody to submit the necessary information.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Round 1 preferences can be submitted now. PMs go to me.

edit: I will leave the Round 1 period open until the evening (my time) Thursday, meaning Thursday morning for you guys in north america. That should be sufficient time for everybody to submit the necessary information.

This is way too long in my opinion , we already talked about starting the draft January 17th.Thursday is the 16th.

Btw , nice to see you around Sturm , hope everything is going great for you.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Ehhh...I think we need to give people a few days to get their PMs submitted. This is just a consequence of the type of draft we're running this year: the pick allocation will add about a week to the process. In the end, it's not a big deal.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Anyone who has already PMed Hawkey_Town in regards to phase 1 (top-5 lottery opt-in) doesn't need to send a second PM to me or anybody else. H_T and I will coordinate the results for that phase of the process.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Looking forward to it. :naughty:

We've never done anything like this before. It's interesting.

A 26-team draft with no trades and choice of draft position. Intriguing!

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
This looks way too boring and complicated. Can't we just draw names from a hat?

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Yeah, Thursday is just a deadline per say, doesn't mean that we can't/won't get everybody's preferences tallied up before then :)

Sturm/Hawkey, if you need any help PM'ing fellow drafters during this process i'd be more than happy to do so if it helps speed up the process.

Thanks for everything guys.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Not sure where to out this, but I changed My name from the Hartford Whalers ( someone else with more ATD experience chose Them) to the Quebec Aces.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Sturm/Hawkey, if you need any help PM'ing fellow drafters during this process i'd be more than happy to do so if it helps speed up the process.

I'm not planning on PMing anyone. We didn't do any recruiting or twist anyone's arm to join the draft this year, and I expect that four days is plenty of time for people who have already come to the board and shown interest on their own initiative to read this thread and send off a single PM. Thanks for the offer, and I may hit you up for help in the future, but I don't think any extra effort on your part is necessary at the moment.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
a 26 team draft sure changes my strategy. The main thing is that I didn't want to go as late as I have the last 2 years; now it's literally impossible for me to go that late.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
I'm not planning on PMing anyone. We didn't do any recruiting or twist anyone's arm to join the draft this year, and I expect that four days is plenty of time for people who have already come to the board and shown interest on their own initiative to read this thread and send off a single PM. Thanks for the offer, and I may hit you up for help in the future, but I don't think any extra effort on your part is necessary at the moment.

So basically since I PM'ed Hawkey already, then I don't need to send another PM, correct?

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
As I said, this is confusing and frankly unnecessary... Why must we complicate a simple thing like drawing our draft positions? :help:

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I did both.. is that wrong?

I thought if I ended out of the top 5 then preferences were next?

You are correct based on the OP. Sturm will determine the top 5 after everyone has opted in or out. After that the people who voted in all rounds last year get preferences (you are in that group).

I sent my preference in twice (hawkey/sturm), just to help with speeding up the process tbh.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
311_THIS_IS_CONFUSING-s480x553-2267-580.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad