Penalty Kill 2:
Pit Lepine - Floyd Curry
Eric Desjardins - Jean-Guy Talbot

Last edited:

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
As a divisional rival I'd have to say this is a formidable team.

First line is monster. No one to take care of Richard, (not that he really needs it), but with his hot temper you'll have to keep him out of the penalty box.

I'm not much of a Vic Hadfield fan but he provides the grit with decent scoring abilities on the 2nd line. Litzenberger can take draws if Keon gets tossed.

3rd line is unheralded, a good defensive shutdown line.

4th line looks like your using for a way station as they are pegged for special teams play. Camille Henry played LW? This line is very suspect defensively and will provide some attitude problems. Personally I like your 5th line better overall.

Don't know if Desjardins is a top pairing but Clapper will provide most of the coverage anyway, he's a great first pairing guy.

I wanted Talbot but you snagged before I had a chance to pick him. Watson provides the grit for the defensive corps, I think you'll need him as a policeman with Talbot and that may be a stretch.....yet, he is a Watson.....he's a LH shot on the right side? Could be a little awkward is this wasn't his regular on-ice position. Talbot also supplies grit but is this a case of all your eggs in one basket? Good 2nd pairing though.

3rd pairing is suspect defensively also. Bubla is a steal in my opinion but you'll have to keep an eye on his friends (*koff)

Redmond is another PMD....overall the bottom end provides transition and PP capabilites but I wouldn't keep them on the ice with a team that has power forwards on the ice.

Strong GK's, no problems here.

Toe Blake is a genius, if anyone can make this group work it'll be him.....as long as you don't fall into his doghouse. I'm betting he'll be relying heavily on Richard.

First PP unit is killer.

2nd pp unit has speed but no real grit and they'll suffer in the corners. Constant rotation and pinpoint passing will be the key, although henry is known for tipping shots.

first PK is also good.

2nd unit PK looks better than when I initially looked at it.

Overall it looks like a typical Canadiens team actually , lots of speed, great skill at the top end, but a little bit suspect on the bottom here....a little lacking on the toughness, especially against goonier teams, but then again, these are the same SOB's that gave/give my Bruins fits.....I'd never count them out in a long series.

Last edited:

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Minnesota Fighting Saints
whaminnesota.gif

GMs: Nalyd Psycho & Mike Farkas
Coach: Pete Green
Captain: Hooley Smith
Alternate Captains: Doug Harvey, Keith Magnuson

#4 Reg Noble-#6 Frank Nighbor-#7 R. J. "Hooley" Smith
#5 Baldy Northcott-#8 Vyacheslav Starshinov-#26 Martin St Louis
#17 Jiri Holik-#20 Pete Mahovlich-#19 John McKenzie
#9 Zach Parise-#13 Ken Linseman-#71 Mike Foligno

#2 Doug Harvey-#14 Fern Flaman
#26 Dave Burrows-#16 Ted Green
#29 Reijo Ruotsalainen-#3 Keith Magnuson

#31 Billy Smith
#1 Roberto Luongo

#10 Albert "Dubbie" Kerr
-#11 Allen Cameron-#17 Billy Taylor-#44 Chris Phillips

PP1: Starshinov-Nighbor-Smith-Harvey-Ruotsalainen
PP2: Northcott-Mahovlich-St Louis-Noble-Green

PK1: Nighbor-Smith-Harvey-Flaman
PK2: Mahovlich-St Louis-Burrows-Magnuson​

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Edmonton Mercurys

Jersey_of_the_Edmonton_Mercurys.jpg

Head Coach: Toe Blake
Captain: Maurice Richard
Alternates: Dit Clapper, Alex Delvecchio

Roy Conacher - Alex Delvecchio - Maurice Richard
Vic Hadfield - Dave Keon - Ed Litzenberger
Don Marshall - Pit Lepine - Floyd Curry
Camille Henry - Alexei Yashin - Alexei Kovalev
Stephane Richer - Buddy O'Connor - Mickey Redmond

Eric Desjardins - Dit Clapper
Jean-Guy Talbot - Jimmy Watson
Lars-Erik Sjöberg - Juri Bubla
Dick Redmond

Tiny Thompson
John Vanbiesbrouck

Powerplay 1:

Powerplay 2:
Camille Henry - Alexei Yashin - Ed Litzenberger
Jean-Guy Talbot - Lars-Erik Sjoberg

Penalty Kill 1:
Dave Keon - Don Marshall
Jimmy Watson - Dit Clapper

Penalty Kill 2:
Pit Lepine - Floyd Curry

That second line is really lacking punch. I initially thought all of Litzenberger's best years came at center, but only one of them(57-58) did. His 3 other best years came at RW. Hadfield doesn't belong in an ATD top 6, and could muster only one really good season playing next to Jean Ratelle and Rod Gilbert, who are much better than Litz and Keon. The first line on the other hand is loaded. I'd consider dropping Roy Conacher to the second line to give it some more punch. It would also allow Richard to be the one main triggerman on the top line. Having he and Conacher there is almost overkill. But then that leaves you with no good options on your top line, as neither Hadfield or Marshall is qualified. Your 3rd line is going to see some really heavy minutes if you plan on matching lines because the 4th line is brutal defensively, and while Keon is a great defensive center, his wingers Hadfield and Litz aren't.

Clapper is a very good #1, but you lack a #2 defenseman. Desjardins is a good #3 and Talbot a below average #3 or very good #4. I think the lack of anyone close to a #2 is going to be this team's biggest weakness, that and defensive play from the forwards, which could combine to be a problem.

Goalies are good.

Desjardins looks more like an ideal 2nd unit PP guy to me. Talbot had one big offensive year, then wasn't much of a factor offensively the rest of his career. Sjoberg had some pretty good WHA seasons in probably what was the back end of his prime, but they weren't anything earth shattering. He's okay here, but in conjunction with Talbot they appear weak. The rest of the special teams units look good.

You've got a great coach

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
gmm, you might want to consider editing your special teams before people get the wrong idea and think you're actually playing Buddy O'Connor on an ATD powerplay. I'm sure you didn't draft Henry and Yashin just to leave them rotting on your 4th line. I'd do the units like this:

Powerplay 1:
Alex Delvecchio - Camille Henry - Maurice Richard

Powerplay 2:
Roy Conacher - Ed Litzenberger - Alexei Yashin

------------------------------------

This sets you up pretty well, I think.

Elvis P

Truth is the first casualty
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
gmm, you might want to consider editing your special teams before people get the wrong idea and think you're actually playing Buddy O'Connor on an ATD powerplay. I'm sure you didn't draft Henry and Yashin just to leave them rotting on your 4th line. I'd do the units like this: ...

This sets you up pretty well, I think.
Camille Henry - Alexei Yashin - Brian Bellows

Lars-Erik Sjöberg - Dick Redmond

Tiny Thompson
John Vanbiesbrouck

Powerplay 1:
Alex Delvecchio - Camille Henry - Maurice Richard

Powerplay 2:
Roy Conacher - Ed Litzenberger - Alexei Yashin

Agreed. Thanks to all three of you for good advice. I am going to bring in Dick Redmond and Brian Bellows for improved defense.

Last edited:

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Just because I'm a position nut, I'd list it as:
Powerplay 1:
Camille Henry - Alex Delvecchio - Maurice Richard

Powerplay 2:
Roy Conacher - Alexei Yashin - Ed Litzenberger

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Last edited:

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
whaminnesota.gif

#31 Billy Smith
#1 Roberto Luongo

#10 Albert "Dubbie" Kerr-#11 Allen Cameron-#17 Billy Taylor-#44 Chris Phillips

Very hard for me to comment on the top 2 lines as I really am damn near totally ignorant on all of them except for Marty St. Louis, who happens to be one of my favorite players and I wish I had the chance to snag him before you did. I have only just begun to scratch the surface on the others. I really like what I've read on Hooley Smith so far.

Your third line: Holik is a steal. Pete Mahovlich wasn't as good as his brother but that's not denigrating his own accomplishments, which were pretty good in their own right. A very good 3rd line CTR. Pie McKenzie is also one of my favorite players since the early Big, Bad Bruins days. As you may remember I was trying desperately to decide whether to go with him or Terry O'Reilly for my 3rd line RWer, figuring I'd let the selection process make the poick for me.....and they both get snagged right before my turn. McKenzie was an agitator with some good offensive skills, and actually was a decent two-way player It wasn't uncommon for him to leave his feet on a check to take out a player in the corners. The guy was a serious muckracker.
[ Little known fact: McKenzie coached the Berklee College of Music hockey team which skated for a couple of years at the club level with aspirations of possibly going division III....wish I had snagged one of their jerseys at the bookstore while I had the chance. The team has since stopped skating and there are none to be had anywhere. ]

fourth line: Seriously good. I'd be very happy to have this line, as long as they don't take to many penalties....can anyone else see a consistent pattern of Foligno finishing what Linesman starts?

Overall: Incomplete for me to say other than a a bottom six I wouldn't mind having.

1st pairing: For me personally, this is about as good as it gets for a top pairing, (after my own of course:sarcasm:). No comment need for Harvey. Flaman ain't a superstar but he is a good low end #2 I do like his grit....a lot.

2nd pairing: Burrows, another woulda, shoulda, coulda because fo his ankle injury cutting down his mobility. Terrible teddy is another of my favorites. A monster before his injury, still pretty damn good after.

3rd pairing: Reijo Ruotsalainen is your only pure PMD, not surprised to see him on the 1st unit PP. Magnuson, while being a notorious punching bag, was more than adequate in his own end and superior in attitude....the guy gave out as much as he took, except for shots to the face, he lost seriously there.

Overall: Not too much offense, but still adequate. Very good defensively, with the right amount of positional play and toughness. I think if they get beat it'll be against a few of them around the outside with quick wingers. Personally though, I'd be happy with this crew.

GK: A big time money GK with a seriously harsh territorial pissing attitude....you did NOT come near his crease without getting lumberjacked across the ankles. I'm sorry but Luongo, despite his numbers, just can't get that big game to get over the albatross in his crease.....here's to hoping Smith doesn't get injured before a 7th game.

Subs: I really don't know too much about them other than Chris Phillips, who is unassuming but quietly a very reliable defensive defenseman with an adequate offense when called upon....a sold 2nd pairing guy who I feel is not out of place as an ATD sub.

Overall: Incomplete for me to say....

coach: I really don't know anything about him but from the brief caps in your bio of him. From using yahooism to defensive schemes to opportunistic counterattacks (from what I read between the lines).....I have no choice but to say this is a thinking man who can adapt to the situation at hand.

Elvis P

Truth is the first casualty
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
Nalyd, sorry I know you wrote my first review last year, but my wife is moving all the babies and kids in intensive care to a new building next week, I'm in charge of all now, and don't have time for a full review. You need a more skilled puck mover on your second line. If you move Reijo Ruotsalainen up and Terrible Ted down, you will have a skilled passer Reijo and a skilled skater Burrows on your 2nd line and a very nasty 3rd line of Terrible Ted and Keith Magnuson. Please seriously consider this. :)

Last edited:

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA

Coaching

I'm gonna start here because I think there is a serious disconnect going on between Gut and the talent he has to work with. The only two quotes in his bio about his team's styles are "The Czech game, he said, was based more on technical and tactical skills, with more complicated drills and more passing.", and " Asked if he was afraid of the tougher physical attitudes of the North American professionals, Gut said his players were physically capable of giving and taking as much as anybody. "But that is not our style and we are going to Canada to play our kind of hockey and not to brawl. Our game is based mainly on technique and we try to keep our emotions more under control."

Then when you look at the Mules' roster, that roster does not epitomize a game based on technique and tactical skills. This roster is a blue collar group that will hit you and try to grind out wins. While it is true that the Czechslovakian talent Gut had to work with was naturally more of technical skill, the fact that he has no experience working with a team like this suggests coaching is going to be rather ineffective. If your coach was Mike Keenan or Punch Imlach, you'd be set. But not Gut.

Forwards

I think you took Neely too early, and Perreault maybe a bit early too. Gilbert is a fine 1st line center, and Neely should certainly be able to finish Perreault's passes. Harris is a little weak for a first line, but adds some playmaking from the wing that can take advantage of Perreault's goalscoring ability, and some toughness/defense to help Neely with forechecking. Not very good defensively. You're in a tough spot when you don't pick your first forward till pick #85, and your first forward is Neely. This line will be below average compared to others. I know you're a believer in chemistry and you've reunited a line here that was very good for the Flyers. They're a known entity, but Poulin drags the line down offensively. Propp and Kerr are ideally the 3rd best point producers on a line, but when they're first and second, there's something wrong. They were a great line in real life, but this is the ATD where the talent pool is much larger. They're worse than most 2nd lines. On to something positive, you have easily the best 3rd line in the entire draft. Pulford is an all time great tough, two-way forechecker, Backstrom a very strong ES producer and defensive player, and Provost one of the best defensive wingers ever. When this line puts the clamps on the opponent, they won't let go. Probably the best 3rd line I've ever seen assembled in an ATD. It's that good. 4th line is a nice combination of toughness, two-way play, and some offensive ability.

Overall, a very gritty group of forwards. They could wear down opposing defenses that aren't physical, and will be very strong on the cycle game and working the corners. The one problem is just a lack of offensive talent in your top 6. They just won't score nearly as many goals as most top 6 forwards on other teams.

Defense

Stevens is a great #1, but I think you reached too far for him. Likewise with Konstantinov, who is a serviceable #2, but was taken a bit too high. They should make for a strong top pairing that will beat the living hell out of small forwards or anyone really. I wouldn't want to face this pairing. Lutchenko is a legit #3, and I'm not sure what to make of Leduc. Your bio indicates he was able to rush the puck and was a good skater, but I thought I remembered TDMM saying he was called Battleship because he was a clunky, clumsy skater that ran into things, hence the name "Battleship". I'm not sure what makes him a #4 defenseman though. We don't have AS voting for what looks to be the good part of his career, but he looks to have been the #2 defenseman on 2 Cup winning teams post-consolidation, which is pretty impressive. Still not sure he's a #4 defenseman here. It'll be another rather physical pairing that can chip in a little offense from Leduc. Their skating ability is TBD before we figure out which is the true Leduc. I don't like Persson, he really wasn't that important of a player on those Islander teams. He's a good offensive defenseman, but as far as usage he's pretty bad. Take a look at seventies' study of defensemen from last year(http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=47027609&postcount=583). It basically measures how relied upon you were and how good those teams were. Persson played on great teams, but was not a big minute guy. I always thought Roberts was more useful as a checking RW than a defenseman, so I don't think this pairing is going to be too good. A good top pairing, good #3, but 4-6 leave a bit to be desired.

Goalies

Dryden is an all time great goalie that should give you an advantage in most goaltending matchups. Vokoun is an okay backup.

PP

First PP unit looks average, Propp as the main triggerman probably isn't ideal but you've got one of the best trashmen in the draft. Second unit is quite unimpressive. I know Lysiak's bio said he played on the power play and in all situations, but his offense on an ATD power play just isn't impressive, especially for a center. Neely is good, Harris is okay. I guess Stevens averages out to a 40ish point defenseman over his entire career. Leduc is okay, nothing great.

PK

Phenomenal PK forwards, probably the best group in the entire draft. The defensemen on the first unit are great, Lutchenko is good on the second pairing, but I question if Roberts is really an ATD quality defenseman, or just a very useful spare.

Overall, this team is tough, right up there with EB & DaveG's team in terms of physicality. Only problem is they lack top end offensive talent in a pretty big way. They'll beat the other team up and could win some games against smaller teams that can't handle the physicality. Also, if a team relies on one big line to score goals, this team could surprise because the Mules possess the best checking line in the draft IMO.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Coaching

I'm gonna start here because I think there is a serious disconnect going on between Gut and the talent he has to work with. The only two quotes in his bio about his team's styles are "The Czech game, he said, was based more on technical and tactical skills, with more complicated drills and more passing.", and " Asked if he was afraid of the tougher physical attitudes of the North American professionals, Gut said his players were physically capable of giving and taking as much as anybody. "But that is not our style and we are going to Canada to play our kind of hockey and not to brawl. Our game is based mainly on technique and we try to keep our emotions more under control."

Then when you look at the Mules' roster, that roster does not epitomize a game based on technique and tactical skills. This roster is a blue collar group that will hit you and try to grind out wins. While it is true that the Czechslovakian talent Gut had to work with was naturally more of technical skill, the fact that he has no experience working with a team like this suggests coaching is going to be rather ineffective. If your coach was Mike Keenan or Punch Imlach, you'd be set. But not Gut.

Forwards

I think you took Neely too early, and Perreault maybe a bit early too. Gilbert is a fine 1st line center, and Neely should certainly be able to finish Perreault's passes. Harris is a little weak for a first line, but adds some playmaking from the wing that can take advantage of Perreault's goalscoring ability, and some toughness/defense to help Neely with forechecking. Not very good defensively. You're in a tough spot when you don't pick your first forward till pick #85, and your first forward is Neely. This line will be below average compared to others. I know you're a believer in chemistry and you've reunited a line here that was very good for the Flyers. They're a known entity, but Poulin drags the line down offensively. Propp and Kerr are ideally the 3rd best point producers on a line, but when they're first and second, there's something wrong. They were a great line in real life, but this is the ATD where the talent pool is much larger. They're worse than most 2nd lines. On to something positive, you have easily the best 3rd line in the entire draft. Pulford is an all time great tough, two-way forechecker, Backstrom a very strong ES producer and defensive player, and Provost one of the best defensive wingers ever. When this line puts the clamps on the opponent, they won't let go. Probably the best 3rd line I've ever seen assembled in an ATD. It's that good. 4th line is a nice combination of toughness, two-way play, and some offensive ability.

Overall, a very gritty group of forwards. They could wear down opposing defenses that aren't physical, and will be very strong on the cycle game and working the corners. The one problem is just a lack of offensive talent in your top 6. They just won't score nearly as many goals as most top 6 forwards on other teams.

Defense

Stevens is a great #1, but I think you reached too far for him. Likewise with Konstantinov, who is a serviceable #2, but was taken a bit too high. They should make for a strong top pairing that will beat the living hell out of small forwards or anyone really. I wouldn't want to face this pairing. Lutchenko is a legit #3, and I'm not sure what to make of Leduc. Your bio indicates he was able to rush the puck and was a good skater, but I thought I remembered TDMM saying he was called Battleship because he was a clunky, clumsy skater that ran into things, hence the name "Battleship". I'm not sure what makes him a #4 defenseman though. We don't have AS voting for what looks to be the good part of his career, but he looks to have been the #2 defenseman on 2 Cup winning teams post-consolidation, which is pretty impressive. Still not sure he's a #4 defenseman here. It'll be another rather physical pairing that can chip in a little offense from Leduc. Their skating ability is TBD before we figure out which is the true Leduc. I don't like Persson, he really wasn't that important of a player on those Islander teams. He's a good offensive defenseman, but as far as usage he's pretty bad. Take a look at seventies' study of defensemen from last year(http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=47027609&postcount=583). It basically measures how relied upon you were and how good those teams were. Persson played on great teams, but was not a big minute guy. I always thought Roberts was more useful as a checking RW than a defenseman, so I don't think this pairing is going to be too good. A good top pairing, good #3, but 4-6 leave a bit to be desired.

Goalies

Dryden is an all time great goalie that should give you an advantage in most goaltending matchups. Vokoun is an okay backup.

PP

First PP unit looks average, Propp as the main triggerman probably isn't ideal but you've got one of the best trashmen in the draft. Second unit is quite unimpressive. I know Lysiak's bio said he played on the power play and in all situations, but his offense on an ATD power play just isn't impressive, especially for a center. Neely is good, Harris is okay. I guess Stevens averages out to a 40ish point defenseman over his entire career. Leduc is okay, nothing great.

PK

Phenomenal PK forwards, probably the best group in the entire draft. The defensemen on the first unit are great, Lutchenko is good on the second pairing, but I question if Roberts is really an ATD quality defenseman, or just a very useful spare.

Overall, this team is tough, right up there with EB & DaveG's team in terms of physicality. Only problem is they lack top end offensive talent in a pretty big way. They'll beat the other team up and could win some games against smaller teams that can't handle the physicality. Also, if a team relies on one big line to score goals, this team could surprise because the Mules possess the best checking line in the draft IMO.
Thanks for the critique.....I'd figure a Flyers fan would appreciate where i was heading....:yo:

a) I took Gut because I thought he was sort of overlooked and I don't think he's a taskmaster who dictates, "my way or the highway". He was a player's coach who had some pretty good chalkboard ideas but who also seemed to be pragmatic. When he's quoted as saying that his players would be ready for the North American game, I understood that. The Czechs, along with the Russians, I've never considered to be "soft". They don't goon it up but toughness doesn't come with just the fists. Of all I've seen from the Czechs, they are always willing to take as much as they gave out, and there's more than a few of them that are adept at the fine art of surreptitious stick work, or even down right mean. I feel Gut knows this. He also has Julien at his side, who has similar ideas on transition and movement, as well as puck possession....it is a staple for his teams. He also has Julien to play bad cop to his good cop.I will probably spend some time in the near future trying to dig up more info on him. He certainly is better than who I had originally pegged for the head coach job.

b) Of Neely you're right. I'm a huge fan and as much as he packed into his career, he's a classic case of woulda, shoulda, coulda.....he also has the intangibles thingy going for him and quite frankly he is one of the most gutsiest and passionate players I've ever seen. That being said, I totally spaced with black n' gold sunglasses on, missing someone like Iginla, who was available at the time. Still, I don't regret it really. Neely's stats/per game are pretty damn good especially in the post season, and he did it while getting mauled by the best, often double-teamed.

c) I have no problems with Perreault. In terms of where people were picked previously and where they are projected, I don't care. I may be ignorant on a lot of the early players but with Perrault you had something special. There are certain types of players that appeal to me. If there are some from the early days like him I will scope them out but if I have to choose between one from the 20's and one from the 70's with similar skills, more than likely I will go with the guy from the 70's.

d) Harris was someone I knew nothing about until I started scoping out LWers to fill out the first line. I may have waited too long to pick LWers, and he is not in the ATD pantheon of 1st liners but from what I read I think he could mesh well with is linemates. Is this a lower end 1st line? Yes....but they have all the qualities that make up a solid line that'll shine on good days and not hurt you on bad days. Good speed, power, skill, grit...it's all there in spades.

e) I stand by my 2nd line. I've checked the numbers and they were consistently in the top 3 to top 5 in scoring for the 4 or so years they were together....and this was a pretty high scoring era. They also were the top line that bought their team to a couple of Stanley Cup Finals, only to lose to the Juggernaut Gretzky/Messier Oilers teams, and the 2nd time took a very hard fought 7 games before they bowed out. Again, my mantra latch phrase is "gestalt". Individually, they weren't superstars....together they were one of the best in an era that had a lot of bests.

For a 6 year stretch, (starting in 81/82) Propp's VsX numbers among LWers was:
88 / 70 / 89 / 100 / 89 / 69 (53 games).
His goalscoring finishes among LWers were:
4 / 7 / T-5 / T-2 / T-4 / T-10 (53 games)....not too shabby.

Kerr (from 83/84)among RWers had VsX numbers:
104 / 93 / 95 / 107 / INJ / 98
with finishes of T-1 / 3 / 3 / 1 / INJ / 3....not too shabby either.

Poulin was their CTR for most of the time, (sometimes split with Zezel because of PK duty), and worked wonders with Propp on the PK, one of the best up-front PK duos of the era.

To say that Propp and Kerr should be the #2 or #3 scorer on the line? Well, tell that to Howe, Hull, Selanne and a host of other high scoring wingers.... we can speculate all we want about some of the higher talented and desirable forwards as to how the MIGHT or SHOULD fit together but we'll never know, especially with different eras.....here we have a known entity that was one of the best at the time.

f) I absolutely love the 3rd line and can't believe I was able to pull it off. Tell you what, if i flipped the 2nd and 3rd lines, would that make everybody feel better?

g) The 4th line is a good combo. They'll get a fair amount of play but they were put together with specific roles in mind. They all have PP and PK abilities with Labine as an instigator. He's no heavyweight but neither will he back down from an altercation either.

h) Stevens is not in that upper echelon 15 d-men but he scrapes the bottom of it.....but I'm not into basing my picks on the ever fluctuating list of "greatests". Outside of the first 7 - 10 it can fluctuate wildly. I like his combo of grit and shutdown abilities. In his earlier days he had serious offensive numbers but he shut them down on his own later to concentrate on things in his own side of the blue line. Konstantinov is the perfect compliment IMO....there are better players that stand apart from him skills wise but given Stevens long time partner in NJ was Daneyko, I think they'd be perfect together.

i) I discovered Lutchenko while researching, liked what I saw and it was sort of confirmed by an ATD regular. I would love to track down some film of him. Leduc may be a stretch, a bit of a loose cannon but with this team, with Lutchenko as his partner, with some seriously strong defensive capabilties among the forwards and Dryden in net, I don't think it'll come back to haunt me....not too much anyway.....(there's a reason why I picked a lot of quality PK guys).

j) Stefan Persson was chosen more for his PP abilities than his ES play. Say what you will but he is credited by news reports and teammates with being very good playmaker on the PP point. Stevens and the top two pairings will play a good amount of minutes, I needed someone able to play efficiently on the PP and save the others for PK and ES minutes.

I wanted someone strong on the defensive side as his partner but quite frankly I couldn't find a right-handed shot with the right qualities.I spent a long time stewing over this because I didn't want to get crap for using Jimmy Roberts where he doesn't belong. From all I've been able to figure out, Roberts spent less than a 1/2 but more than a 1/3 on defense. That he was also a damn good shutdown forward was also a plus as it indicates where his game is at.....defense first. I had Al Shields slotted there originally but I think he was a tad too one-dimensional and couldn't cover Persson well enough at ES.

[UPDATE] - According to Hockey-Reference, Jimmy Roberts played 1006 regular season games. He is listed as having played 664 gams as a defenseman. So it is the other way around, At RW he played less than 1/2 but more than a 1/3.

This is my 3rd pairing, I don't see more than 10 mins. a game at ES for this pairing.

k) Dryden was a machine....I still remember him when I was a kid, he seemed inhuman at the time and even with the great cast he had in from of him, he still played with a very high noticeable distinction. Vokoun has great numbers but it wasn''t until after I picked him that I discovered his deficiencies. The biggest is that he is streaky.....he can be lights out for long stretches, (where reports say he thrives on a heavy workload), and then play some games like he's a spastic cow....at least he has the nads to admit when he plays a bad game(s). I wanted to drop him and add Pekka Lindmark but Hawkey Town snagged him right near the end of the draft and I really didn't like who was left....there was some guys who had decent regular seasons but really had some bad playoff records. Here's to hoping Dryden stays healthy and doesn't go off to join the Massachusetts Bar Association after a contract dispute.

l) The 1st unit PP has Kerr and Propp, 1st and 15th in PP goals league-wide during their stretch together. Propp is also 14th A LL-TIME for LWers PP goals and 1st ALL-TIME in LWers playoff PP goals, (it's all in the bios).....so yeah, I'll depend on him.

Kerr, despite having an abbreviated career, is still ranked 11th ALL-TIME in RWers PP goals...I'll depend on him too....

Perrault is 22nd ALL-TIME for CTR PP goals.

Persson is 29th all-time in playoff assists and has the same assists/game average as Nicklas Linstrom. During the Islanders Cup run he was 2nd overall in defensemen playoff assists twice. He's ranked 83rd overall in defensemen career assists, but tied at 21st ALL-TIME with Guy Laointe and Reed Larson for assists/game, .01% behind Brian Rafalski at #20 and .03% behind Larry Robinson at #19....nearly 3 out of every 5 assists came on the PP.

Brian Rolston was known for his cannon from the right point....with Boston nearly half of his assists were on the PP. With Minnesota, well near or over half were on the PP and in 2006/07, 2/3's were on the PP.

m) PP unit #2 has Cam Neely....despite an abbreviated career he is still ranked 16th ALL-TIME in RWers PP goals and 5th ALL-TIME OVERALL (3rd for RWers) in playoff PP goals.

While Lysiak was a jack of all trades, he is adequate and remember, he was the stud with a weak supporting cast in Atlanta and was keyed on by defenders, ie....stop Lysiak and you stop Atlanta.
I can also use Backstron there too....he was on the Montreal 2nd unit and one year was tied for 10th overall in PP goals with Johnny Bucyk, Ron Ellis and Frank Mahovlich. While with Philly, Dave Poulin was on spot duty on the 2nd unit PP, a little less than a 1/4 of all his assists were on the PP.

Harris was top 5 three times and top 9 five times in goals scored in the PCHA....how many were PP goals are a guess but given that he was either #1 or #2 goal scorer on his teams for about a decade, I would imagine he would be on that PP unit.

When Stevens was offensive oriented with the Caps and the first 1/3 of his NJ career, he was on the 1st unit, with a few of his years having nearly 1/2 of his overall assists on the PP and one year had 16 of his 21 goals on the PP. In fact he had 5 years where he had more PP golas than ES goals....it's not like he was a stranger there.

I will admit that this is my weakest special teams unit.

n) I have no problem with any of my PKers....even Roberts.

o) Overall I built this team with grit and two-way play, that's the way I like it. I admit it doesn't have the high end firepower of other teams but more than makes up for it defensively, especially on the forecheck and neutral zone, with the defense clogging the middle and more than adequate in transition. I want a team that could wear down opponents in a long series and have enough flexibility to cover all 3 zones well, in case of emergencies. I especially wanted be strong on the PK with good SH scoring capabilities, (nothing can deflate a team more than having a shorty scored on you)....I actually envisioned a meaner team originally but then realized I had to add a pest/fighter to make sure that Neely didn't take up the policeman role.....hell,I even have a Lady Byng winner on this team, something I never thought I'd have.

Last edited:

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
whaminnesota.gif

#31 Billy Smith
#1 Roberto Luongo

#10 Albert "Dubbie" Kerr
-#11 Allen Cameron-#17 Billy Taylor-#44 Chris Phillips

That first line is a monster. I've never seen anything quite like it in the ATD. Fast wingers who were excellent defensively and liked to hit and fight, together with an all-time great defensive centre and playmaker. Tons of leadership and two-way play here. You've invested some high picks in it - I'd like to see you sell it because this unit is a different one and the success of your team may turn on how much it can dominate.

Your other lines are less interesting. The second line has a good mix of skills but doesn't really have a strong identity.

Overall, the forwards seem a little underpowered. No real high skill line.

The defense corps looks like Doug Harvey, four defensive guys, and a PP/puck moving specialist. Harvey's presence goes a long way in supporting your attack, and you'll certainly be able to defend against any opponents.

This team could really beat up on a soft opponent. Hooley Smith, Noble, Flaman, Ted Green...

I love those old Sens teams but can't see myself ever drafting Pete Green as a coach. I just don't know enough about his role with the team, and how much credit he should get as compared to other members of management and the team's on-ice leaders. It was a different game back them for coaches.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I love those old Sens teams but can't see myself ever drafting Pete Green as a coach. I just don't know enough about his role with the team, and how much credit he should get as compared to other members of management and the team's on-ice leaders. It was a different game back them for coaches.

I've wondered this, myself. For a guy who coached so many Cup winners, Green's reputation is tiny. He started off as the team trainer, and came and went as coach a couple of times, if I recall correctly. I dunno what was really going on, but it seems like Gorman and Gerard/Nighbor may have had as much a role in running that team as Green. I wish we knew more about him, but at the very least, I think he'll know how to deploy Frank Nighbor.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
That first line is a monster. I've never seen anything quite like it in the ATD. Fast wingers who were excellent defensively and liked to hit and fight, together with an all-time great defensive centre and playmaker. Tons of leadership and two-way play here. You've invested some high picks in it - I'd like to see you sell it because this unit is a different one and the success of your team may turn on how much it can dominate.

Your other lines are less interesting. The second line has a good mix of skills but doesn't really have a strong identity.

The defense corps looks like Doug Harvey, four defensive guys, and a PP/puck moving specialist. Harvey's presence goes a long way in supporting your attack, and you'll certainly be able to defend against any opponents.

This team could really beat up on a soft opponent. Hooley Smith, Noble, Flaman, Ted Green...

I love this team and he's in my division....at least 3/4s of these guys I would be more than comfortable with and in fact he scooped 3 of them before my next pick.

It's not a high powered offense but they are going to make sure you know you played them......every goal an opponent gets is going to be hard earned.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Boston Mules Mini-review

I like:

• A ton of two-way play and puck winning from forwards all over the lineup.
  • The best third line of the draft, and possibly the best third line I've seen in any of the ATDs that I've been a part of
  • Despite focusing more on defense from your forwards than most teams, you don't actually have any forwards in the lineup who are totally offensively inept
  • The best group of PKing forwards in the draft
  • A group of defensemen that really has an identity - that identity is "ouch"
  • Ken Dryden

Potential issues:

• The offense at even-strength is very thin beyond Perreault. This is helped by the fact that you don't have a single forward in your lineup who can't chip in on the score board, but when you need a goal, you don't have a lot of go-to guys.
  • Related to #1, your first line would be a great second line, but I think every member of the line is below average as a first liner. Well, maybe Neely would be average if you really like his physicality and clutch goal scoring.
  • I guess Lutchenko is your #2 defenseman, but I don't think that's ideal. Konstantinov is strictly a #3 at this level and that's giving him full credit for his career in the USSR.
  • I don't really see a legit #4 defenseman on your roster
  • The emphasis on hard hitting defensemen and lack of emphasis on puck skills really hurts your power play. I get that Rolston is a good triggerman from the point, but he's really not ideal on a first unit.
  • I love the bio that you made on Gut, but I can't see him as being the right kind of coach for your team. On the other hand, it's definitely a Claude Julien team. I seriously think you should drop Gut and get Julien help elsewhere.

Overall:

A team that will be hard to score against and grind softer teams into oblivion. But I don't see them being able to match the firepower of some other ATD teams.

Often first-time GMs (myself included back in MLD11 which was in 2009) put together groups of highly skilled forwards and get crushed for lack of defense, physicality, or any other intangibles up front. You seem to have gone the opposite direction - tons of defense, physicality, and intangibles up front. Your team definitely has what it takes to keep it close with anyone, but in the end, lack of scoring could be your downfall.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
[
h) Stevens is not in that upper echelon 15 d-men but he scrapes the bottom of it.....but I'm not into basing my picks on the ever fluctuating list of "greatests". Outside of the first 7 - 10 it can fluctuate wildly. I like his combo of grit and shutdown abilities. In his earlier days he had serious offensive numbers but he shut them down on his own later to concentrate on things in his own side of the blue line. Konstantinov is the perfect compliment IMO....there are better players that stand apart from him skills wise but given Stevens long time partner in NJ was Daneyko, I think they'd be perfect together.

Stevens pretty much only played with Ken Daneyko on the penalty kill. At even strength, he was usually paired with more offensively oriented defensemen, and after 1995, his partner usually handled the puck moving duties of the pairing so Stevens could concentrate on being a predator towards opposing forwards.

l) The 1st unit PP has Kerr and Propp, 1st and 15th in PP goals league-wide during their stretch together. Propp is also 14th A LL-TIME for LWers PP goals and 1st ALL-TIME in LWers playoff PP goals, (it's all in the bios).....so yeah, I'll depend on him.

You have to see that 14th All Time for LWs in PP goals isn't exactly impressive, considering Propp played in the highest scoring era in NHL history, and there weren't a lot of strong LWs playing in that era to also rack up large numbers of goals.

Harris was top 5 three times and top 9 five times in goals scored in the PCHA....how many were PP goals are a guess but given that he was either #1 or #2 goal scorer on his teams for about a decade, I would imagine he would be on that PP unit.

There were usually 4 teams in the PCHA, which means 12 spots for forwards, and 16 spots for forwards + rovers. Including rovers, you'd need to be top 8 in that league to even be above average.

Last edited:

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
I like:

• A ton of two-way play and puck winning from forwards all over the lineup.
  • The best third line of the draft, and possibly the best third line I've seen in any of the ATDs that I've been a part of
  • Despite focusing more on defense from your forwards than most teams, you don't actually have any forwards in the lineup who are totally offensively inept
  • The best group of PKing forwards in the draft
  • A group of defensemen that really has an identity - that identity is "ouch"
  • Ken Dryden

Potential issues:

• The offense at even-strength is very thin beyond Perreault. This is helped by the fact that you don't have a single forward in your lineup who can't chip in on the score board, but when you need a goal, you don't have a lot of go-to guys.
  • Related to #1, your first line would be a great second line, but I think every member of the line is below average as a first liner. Well, maybe Neely would be average if you really like his physicality and clutch goal scoring.
  • I guess Lutchenko is your #2 defenseman, but I don't think that's ideal. Konstantinov is strictly a #3 at this level and that's giving him full credit for his career in the USSR.
  • I don't really see a legit #4 defenseman on your roster
  • The emphasis on hard hitting defensemen and lack of emphasis on puck skills really hurts your power play. I get that Rolston is a good triggerman from the point, but he's really not ideal on a first unit.
  • I love the bio that you made on Gut, but I can't see him as being the right kind of coach for your team. On the other hand, it's definitely a Claude Julien team. I seriously think you should drop Gut and get Julien help elsewhere.

Overall:

A team that will be hard to score against and grind softer teams into oblivion. But I don't see them being able to match the firepower of some other ATD teams.

Often first-time GMs (myself included back in MLD11 which was in 2009) put together groups of highly skilled forwards and get crushed for lack of defense, physicality, or any other intangibles up front. You seem to have gone the opposite direction - tons of defense, physicality, and intangibles up front. Your team definitely has what it takes to keep it close with anyone, but in the end, lack of scoring could be your downfall.

Thanks for the critique, it is pretty thorough and, (I like this), you have a pretty good idea as to where I am at and not nitpick with finer minutiae.

I definitely went with 2-way abilities. I wanted responsible 3-zone forwards as my defensemen are not all that quick. I definitely wanted bangers to give Dryden clear views of the puck. I also wanted to be able to have puck control and still be flexible in case of emergencies. I also wanted character, guys who don't float and give it all until the final whistle, no matter the score.

My lack of firepower up front may be because I saw a chance starting to develop with my 3rd line and I went with it. But I believe in a long series this team will wear down opponents and be able to force turnovers and and have sufficient ability & skill to capitalize on them.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Stevens pretty much only played with Ken Daneyko on the penalty kill. At even strength, he was usually paired with more offensively oriented defensemen, and after 1995, his partner usually handled the puck moving duties of the pairing so Stevens could concentrate on being a predator towards opposing forwards.

You have to see that 14th All Time for LWs in PP goals isn't exactly impressive, considering Propp played in the highest scoring era in NHL history, and there weren't a lot of strong LWs playing in that era to also rack up large numbers of goals.

There were usually 4 teams in the PCHA, which means 12 spots for forwards, and 16 spots for forwards + rovers. Including rovers, you'd need to be top 8 in that league to even be above average.
This is minutiae but it is valid in this case.

I still like the Stevens/Konstantinov pairing. Obviously you saw Stevens more than I but I remember hin as a nasty mofo at the crease but also cool enough customer to outlet....whenever he played my Bruins I hated him, but I did respect him.

As far as Propp.....how many LWers have there been in the NHL? He's 5th in PP goals in his era. He's tied for 13th for G/game in his era and tied at 21st all-time. (300 games minimum). He's not a Hull, Conacher or Ovechkin, but he is not a stiff and underrated IMO. I complied a VsX peek chart on RWer goals, I will eventually do one for LWers and we can dare to compare.

I admit I waited too long to pick a 1st line LWer, not realizing that overall this is a weaker position by comparison to the others. Still, from what I've read I think he would fit comfortably on the line he is on. I am very curious about the PCHL and WCHL and plan on reading up on it.....it sort of reminds me of the wild west.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Edmonton Mercurys

Jersey_of_the_Edmonton_Mercurys.jpg

Head Coach: Toe Blake
Captain: Maurice Richard
Alternates: Dit Clapper, Alex Delvecchio

Vic Hadfield - Dave Keon - Ed Litzenberger
Don Marshall - Pit Lepine - Floyd Curry
Camille Henry - Alexei Yashin - Brian Bellows
Stephane Richer - Buddy O'Connor - Mickey Redmond

Lars-Erik Sjöberg - Dick Redmond
Juri Bubla

Regular Season Only Platoon

Tiny Thompson
John Vanbiesbrouck

Powerplay 1:
Camille Henry - Alex Delvecchio - Maurice Richard

Powerplay 2:
Roy Conacher - Alexei Yashin - Ed Litzenberger

Penalty Kill 1:
Dave Keon - Don Marshall
Jimmy Watson - Dit Clapper

Penalty Kill 2:
Pit Lepine - Floyd Curry

I must say this is one of my favourite teams in the draft.

I really like the Delvecchio-Richard combo on the first line, does Conacher bring enough puck winning? Even still an above average first line.

Any 2nd line starting off with Dave Keon has an excellent start. It is below average offensively, but brings some great intangibles and will be hell to play against.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Halifax Mooseheads
Halifax%20Mooseheads_Logo.jpg

GMs: Stoneberg & Croskinnon
Coach: Lester Patrick
Captian: Yzerman
Alternate Captains: Chelios, Patrick

Roster
Doug Bentley - Steve Yzerman (C) - Glenn Anderson
Frank Foyston - Joe Primeau - Brett Hull
Dave Balon - Walt Tkaczuk - Ron Ellis
Percy Galbraith - Dick Irvin - Jaroslav Jirik

Jim Schoenfeld - Chris Chelios (A)
Lester Patrick (A) - Red Dutton
Carol Vadnais - Brian Engblom

Curtis Joseph
Percy Lesueur

Spares: Corb Dennenny (F), Harry Mummery (D), Harry Smith (C/LW), Behn Wilson (D)

1st PP Unit
Hull - Yzerman - Anderson
Patrick - Bentley

2nd PP Unit
Hull (Jirik) - Primeau - Foyston
Chelios - Vadnais

PK Forwards
Tkaczuk - Galbraith
Yzerman - Primeau
Ellis

PK Defensemen
Schoenfeld - Chelios
Engblom/Vadnais - Dutton

This team hasn't posted their roster, but all units are there so I'll assume this is the roster.

Forwards

Doug Bentley is a tough case to crack. All his good finishes from 42-43 to 46-47 were at LW, but occurred in the war years, so they're not nearly as impressive as they look. Then from 47-48 to 48-49, he's listed as a center. He's a balanced offensive winger that can backcheck, Yzerman is a great #1 center that can do everything, and Anderson is a strong goalscorer that is a great playoff performer that rounds out the line with his grit. This line has all you could ask for and is going to be a very good first line. They'll be pretty good defensively also. I like your second line a lot also. You got very good value on Brett Hull, and Joe Primeau is just like Adam Oates, an extremely playmaker-biased center that can play third wheel to his wingers. Primeau is worse offensively, but much better defensively, which is good next to Hull. Foyston is a good two-way player as well, which helps next to hull. There's no real grit on this line, and that could be a problem because this line is set up around Brett Hull's shot. Hull was never a very fast guy and was a somewhat awkward skater, so scoring on the transition is not going to be his forte. But, the other two guys are built as if they'll base their offense on transition considering their speed and puck-handling abilities, Hull might not be able to keep up with them. Hull will often be the 3rd guy entering the zone, which could work as he goes undetected then pounces in the slot to receive a pass, but I think it would have made more sense to have a grittier guy that can win the puck in the corners to get it to Hull in the slot. I never really understood the love for Balon in the ATD, he seems like a guy that was a decent checker that didn't contribute much on offense, and didn't really kill penalties either. Walt Tkaczuk(his linemate here and in real life) was definitely a better player, and I think there's a real case that the RW on that line(Bill Fairbairn) was a better player also. His offense is better, he was a penalty killer, and was known as a physical player. Was Balon's defense that much better to warrant his selection over Fairbairn? I don't think so. I'm a big fan of Walt Tkaczuk though, and Ellis is another strong checker with good speed. I saw a lot of good things about Tkaczuk during my research on Jean Ratelle's bio, and is a very good ES scorer, as is Ron Ellis. This unit is better offensively than it looks because their raw point totals underrate them, they won't be getting PP time so they look worse than other 3rd liners that did get PP time. Their ES scoring is very good, and Tkaczuk-Ellis forms a very nice shutdown combo. Dick Irvin is a good 4th line center that plays a gritty game and brings some offense, and Jirik is similar. Galbraith brings little offense, but strong defense due to recent discoveries about him.

Overall, a solid forward group. The chemistry on the second line isn't ideal IMO and I'm not a fan of Dave Balon, but I like the rest of the forwards.

Defense

Chelios is solidly a top 10 defenseman all time, and was hoping I could get him with my first, but had to settle for Brad Park. Jim Schoenfeld seems out of place on a top pairing as I see him more as a strong #4 instead of a #3. I'm a big fan of Lester Patrick and Art Ross, I saw a lot of great things written about them as well in my research on Cyclone Taylor. A solid 2nd pairing with Dutton complimenting Patrick's rushing style very well. I really like your third pairing, Vadnais is a strong puck mover and Engblom brings everything he doesn't. Only thing I don't like is I think you lack a real #3, with Schoenfeld and Dutton both being good #4s.

Goaltending

Definitely the weakest spot of your team. Joseph is probably the 2nd worst starter in the draft behind Tim Thomas. With a weak starter I would have liked to see a strong backup, but LeSueur is just average.

PP

Great first PP unit, and a pretty good 2nd unit. Jirik isn't a great offensive player, but has a known track record as a net presence.

PK

Very solid PK forwards, all should be strong in their roles. The defensemen on the first unit look good, but the defensemen on the second unit look pretty weak.

Overall, this is a very, very good team that nobody is really talking about. The only real big weakness is goaltending, but there's a lot of offensive talent in the top 6, and a pretty good defense other than at the #3 spot.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Sorry for the lack of comments, I've been finding these past few drafts that I need a few weeks to catch my breath at the end of it. I'll try to post thoughts on other teams tomorrow.

The strength of the line is that it is quite possibly the best defensive unit in ATD history. Nighbor was a game changer who dominated the neutral zone like no other player. Smith was the only winger who had a noticeable improvement on Nighbor's prodigious impact. Noble, as a speedy bull will be the primary forechecker. One man up, two in the neutral zone, in what is IMO the best possible neutral zone pairing. And then the icing on the cake, Harvey and Flaman. The best defensive d-man ever and an open ice physical threat. What I love about Flaman with Harvey and Nighbor is that Flaman demands attention. If you get past Nighbor and Smith, they will still be dogged on the back check, but, with a head hunter like Flaman in front of you, you can't pay attention to Nighbor behind you. A veritable rock and a hard place. And with Harvey there too, any attempt to pass off will not improve the situation in any way. Forwards will have a choice of handing the puck to Nighbor or Harvey, or their body to Flaman.

And then to really crank the unit up, the stellar decision making or Harvey and Nighbor, combined with the speed and drive of the wingers will make every breakout a threat. I really like Nighbor and Harvey together because Nighbor has the patience to appreciate and make the most of Harvey's stellar breakout skills.

The second line is nicely balanced IMO. Northcott was a speedy two-way player who could forecheck and backcheck. Starshinov was gritty, a sniper with a gritty nose for the net who was a dogged man to man checker. St. Louis is one of the best playmaking wingers ever and high end offensive talent, who, for a scoring winger is solid defensively.

St. Louis' Vs2 for assists: (*=active season)
1.02, 1.00, 1.00* .94, .88, .75, .70

It's a classic build for a line, with the twist that the centre is the sniper and the rw is the playmaker.

One the whole the team does bias defensively, but every player on the team can handle itself on both ends of the ice. Because the first line faces the most difficult match-ups, that freed us to have 3rd and 4th lines that could contribute points. And we did it without sacrificing too much defense. The team can play a tight system that will keep the games low-scoring, but also roll four lines that can bury their chances. The balance of offense, defense and physicality is something I'm quite proud of. IMO, a real benefit of investing in elite defensive star forwards.

If I broke down the minutes, it would probably look like:
Harvey: 25-26
Flaman: 20-21
Burrows: 19
Green: 19
Ruotsalainen: 17
Magnuson: 17

Harvey is the clear leader in every way of the blue line. It was deliberate that it was Harvey and friends. It was also deliberate that both Magnuson and Ruotsalainen are RHS (Ruotsalainen can play off-wing and will with Magnuson) so that they can play with Harvey as well to vary Harvey's usage.

When you've got one of the uber-elite players, might as well maximize value.

Yeah, this is easily the meanest and most physical team I've ever built.

I've wondered this, myself. For a guy who coached so many Cup winners, Green's reputation is tiny. He started off as the team trainer, and came and went as coach a couple of times, if I recall correctly. I dunno what was really going on, but it seems like Gorman and Gerard/Nighbor may have had as much a role in running that team as Green. I wish we knew more about him, but at the very least, I think he'll know how to deploy Frank Nighbor.

The advantages of Pete Green:
1. He wasn't a control freak. Just as we can ask where the credit goes, we can see a man who works well with others. Something rare in older coaches.
2. He was a winner. Credit the talent all you want, but Green had the talent working as a team.
3. This is the big one, one of the rarest traits. He was a strong defensive coach who loosed the reigns for defencemen. Harvey wasn't much for being told what to do. Flaman was significantly better in the more open Boston system than the rigid Toronto and earlier Boston systems. Rexi just wouldn't work if he was told not to rush. The strengths of the team lie with a physical defensive strength and a bold, creative, unpredictable and risk taking blue line. There are very few coaches in history that can make that work. And Green's system with Boucher, Clancy and Gerard on the blue line with Nighbor and co up front captures the style more than any other team.

I love this team and he's in my division....at least 3/4s of these guys I would be more than comfortable with and in fact he scooped 3 of them before my next pick.

It's not a high powered offense but they are going to make sure you know you played them......every goal an opponent gets is going to be hard earned.

Thanks. One of the things I'm really proud of is the combination of physical agitation and defensive acumen. It makes the team doubly frustrating. They'll take you off your game and then rub it in your face.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Halifax Mooseheads
Halifax%20Mooseheads_Logo.jpg

GMs: Stoneberg & Croskinnon
Coach: Lester Patrick
Captian: Yzerman
Alternate Captains: Chelios, Patrick

Roster
Doug Bentley - Steve Yzerman (C) - Glenn Anderson
Frank Foyston - Joe Primeau - Brett Hull
Dave Balon - Walt Tkaczuk - Ron Ellis
Percy Galbraith - Dick Irvin - Jaroslav Jirik

Jim Schoenfeld - Chris Chelios (A)
Lester Patrick (A) - Red Dutton
Carol Vadnais - Brian Engblom

Curtis Joseph
Percy Lesueur

Spares: Corb Dennenny (F), Harry Mummery (D), Harry Smith (C/LW), Behn Wilson (D)

1st PP Unit
Hull - Yzerman - Anderson
Patrick - Bentley

2nd PP Unit
Hull (Jirik) - Primeau - Foyston
Chelios - Vadnais

PK Forwards
Tkaczuk - Galbraith
Yzerman - Primeau
Ellis

PK Defensemen
Schoenfeld - Chelios
Engblom/Vadnais - Dutton

The poor James Creighton division hasn't gotten any attention, so I'm going to give a review to a team that I think is pretty good. I don't know what's going on with Stone and CK, but they haven't been seen in weeks. Hopefully, they make it around for the playoffs. This is basically a good, well-balanced team, without a lot of obvious strengths or weaknesses.

Forwards:

Bentley - Yzerman - Anderson is a solid two-way 1st line, though Anderson brings the unit down somewhat. Doug Bentley's scoring is distorted twice, both in his favor:

- he was a wartime star
- the Chicago scorekeepers in the 1949-50 season quite clearly cooked the books and handed out a lot of phantom assists.

Considering that all three of Doug's best seasons fall into one of the above categories, that makes his true offensive peak extremely hard to guage. I think he ends up being a good two-way 1st line LW, and belongs in the tier in which he is typically drafted, with guys like Blake and Jackson as his peers. Yzerman is a known commodity and is, if anything, a little bit underrated relative to centers who are taken higher like Trottier and Sakic. Joe Sakic was a better scorer than Steve Yzerman on the whole, but I think Yzerman was a better defensively on the whole. I used to think that Sakic was the better player overall, but now I think there is a pretty good argument that they are basically equal. Glenn Anderson is a pretty unspectacular 1st line glue guy, and is what holds this unit back from being one of the strong 1st lines of the draft. The VsX project was not kind to Anderson, and I don't see any reason to give him a pass. He was a solid all-around player, but he got every offensive opportunity in the world playing on those Edmonton teams next to Messier for most of his career, and didn't produce at anything really resembling ATD 1st unit rates. 1st unit glue guys are actually somewhat hard to come by simply because most of the best forwards of all-time were offensively inclined, and I think Anderson is passable in this role, but he is certainly not high end here. The line also looks a bit soft, with Anderson as the only physical player (and he wasn't that physical) and Bentley being somewhat of a minus physically.

Brett Hull is a big weapon on a 2nd line, and this unit if probably the biggest strength of the team. Overall, this is an excellent 2nd line. Frank Foyston is a strong, well-rounded 2nd liner who could do a bit of everything, and was arguably the best playoff performer of his era. Joe Primeau is pretty light offensively mainly because his peak was pretty short, but also because his linemates were so good, but he was a strong two-way center and his playmaking is a good fit for Brett Hull. Primeau is honestly a player who I think should fall about a round in the ATD. He always seems to go in the 6th round, but I really think he is more of an average 2nd liner here, and belongs more in the range of where Frederickson is taken in the 7th. You overdrafted him a bit, imo, though it wasn't egregious. Hull is what he is: a frightening goalscorer for an ATD 2nd line. This line will really abuse weaker ATD 2nd pairings, especially those that lack high end skating and defensive awareness. If the unit has a weakness, it is that, like the top line, it is pretty soft. Foyston has some jam, but the other two aren't going to give you much in the way of physicality.

The third line is pretty awesome. Balon - Tkaczuk - Ellis is a wonderfully tough and aggressive two-way 3rd line that will check opponents very well, but also be able to do something with the puck when they create turnovers. Really, pretty much a model 3rd line, and one of the best of the draft. Excellent unit.

The 4th line is sort of a strange mix. Irvin is a good offensive 4th liner, in my opinion, but I think he was pretty bad defensively. I don't know much of anything about Percy Galbraith, but I gather from his stats that he was either a defenseman for most of his career, or very poor offensively for a LW. What's the deal with this player? The only bio I can find on him is a very short MLD bit from Dreak in 2009. I'd like to know more about this player, but at this point, I have a hard time seeing him as a good ATDer. I have a hard time rating Jirik. He seems like maybe a decent two-way 4th liner, but I dunno.

Defense:

I've got Chelios as the 9th/10th best defenseman of all-time with Brad Park, so he gives you a strong #1, especially defensively. Schoenfeld is really a below-average #3 in my opinion, so having him on a top pairing is not very strong. But I get what you're doing here. Schoenfeld's specific strengths were that he was very tough and strong defensively, and that combined with Chelios will make this a nasty pairing for matchups. Chelios as the only real puckmover on a top pairing is definitely going to be below average at this level, though, and I think the pairing ends up being somewhat below-average in general because I think Schoenfeld is further from the average #2s than Chelios is from the average #1s.

Lester Patrick is really your #2 defenseman, and I think he's a bit below average in this role. So the benefit you get from putting Schoenfeld on the top pairing is an elite #3 defenseman running the show on the 2nd unit. Dutton looks like basically an average #4, though as far as I know he was not actually all that great defensively, but was more of a big hitter and offensive rusher, so I'm not sure if the chemistry here is all that good. But Patrick is a very strong #3, so it is a good pairing, regardless.

I think Vadnais is legitimately a low-end #4 defenseman, so as a #5, he's strong. Engblom is sort of meh as a #6. He's not bad, but his best quality might be his hair.

Other:

You've got Lester Patrick as player-coach here, which is pretty interesting. He's a great coach, top-5 in my opinion, though to be honest I think you didn't really need to draft a guy like Patrick, as this team is well-balanced and Lester's great strength is that he can take a lot of different kinds of eggs and make an omelette. I think you could have easily gone cheaper behind the bench with this team, but you've got a great coach nevertheless, and that is always an advantage.

Curtis Joseph is probably the 31st or 32nd best starter in the ATD, and obviously that's not a strength. But none of the starters in a 32 team league are going to be bad, so there is no reason to dwell on it too much. Joseph will go out there and play good hockey for you, but I wouldn't expect him to steal you any games, like a lot of other goalies can.

Overall, this is a somewhat bland team that I have a hard time getting excited about in spite of the fact that it's actually got pretty good talent. The scoringlines will score, the checkingline will check and the defenders will play defense, but not much about this team jumps out to me as particularly strong. I guess the 2nd unit with Lester Patrick and Brett Hull will bang a lot of pucks into the net, but you pay for that with a mediocre 1st unit where Anderson and Schoenfeld really don't belong. I do like the 3rd line a lot and Lester is a great bench boss, so you should be able to troll opposing top lines with them quite effectively. In the end, this is a team built in the "classic ATD" mold and it does a lot of things well, but it may not have the talent to really be a contender this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad